Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Sunnyland Slim with Mick Taylor
Posted by: Dreamer ()
Date: March 24, 2013 12:37

I was doing some research about Albert "Sunnyland Slim" Luandrew (September 5, 1906 – March 17, 1995) and found out Mick Taylor guested on Sunnyland's (1968 - Liberty) album "Slim's Got His Thing Goin' On".
And that's all I know drinking smiley

More info anyone? Thanks.

Re: Sunnyland Slim with Mick Taylor
Posted by: Dreamer ()
Date: March 24, 2013 17:30

Found it:

"In early October of 1968, Mick was summoned to play with blues pianist Sunnyland Slim in Los Angeles at Liberty’s studio. They played evening sessions after afternoon recordings with George Smith and the Muddy Waters band were done; Mick appeared for the first session only, October 2nd. With Smith on harmonica and Luther Allison joining Mick on guitars, Slim and the boys recorded a handful of tunes, four of which would end up on his 1969 Liberty Records release Slim’s Got His Thing Goin’ On. “You Used To Love Me” has Mick on crunchy rhythm with Allison taking the lead, but Taylor steps to the forefront on “She’s Got A Thing Going On” and “Substitute Woman.” His solos here are very subdued; he does not cut loose with the distorted fire he employed increasingly with Mayall. His lines are stately and classic, showing his respect for the elder statesmen he was sitting in with.

The re-released CD offers and interesting note regarding the sessions: “The December edition of Blues Unlimited carried a report by a ‘special correspondent’ (probably producer Steve LaVere or perhaps Bob Hite), telling a revealing story about the first session: ‘ - towards the end of the first evening Slim wanted to perform ‘Rolling & Tumbling’ but both Taylor and Allison had a deal of trouble with the tune. Both are much involved with modern blues and have no understanding of pieces in this older, essentially country style...It’s interesting - the difficulty wasn’t racial or anything like that, but generational and perhaps cultural. Allison...is a modern blues musician like Taylor - and he couldn’t grasp the structural peculiarities of the tune any better than could Taylor, a young white Briton.’”

The liner notes also laud Taylor’s lead playing on “Substitute Woman, describing him as “taking a very post-Clapton break.” The final track, “My Past Life,” features very playful rhythm guitar work, not unlike the song “My Baby.” This one’s solo is most likely by Luther Allison."

For those interested it's from
[www.micktaylor.net]
“MICK TAYLOR RE-EXAMINED” RE-EXAMINED by Jim Sheridan part 1

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2094
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home