Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: OT: Best Live Album Poll (Ya-Ya's Not Doing So Good)
Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: March 13, 2013 18:14

Mathijs
Eleanor Rigby
Mathijs
jamesfdouglas
This poll means nothing. Allman Brothers OWN this people. Ya-Ya's has what... ONE song with actual live vocals? (Rambler). Live album my @$$.

Live vocals: Carol, Love in Vain, Stray Cat, Sympathy, Rambler.

Mathijs

hmmm..we dont know for sure about Stray Cat and Sympathy as there is no tape of this show...unless u have it?

We don't have a tape, but overdubbed vocals are easily identified.

Mathijs

Damned right they are, especially on Ya-Ya's and Love You Live. Both of those albums have the WORST examples of it, on those you can CLEARLY hear Mick's original vocals bleed through other microphones on the stage, and in Ya-Ya's you can hear the ORIGINAL Honky Tonk Women lyrics on the second verse, not that stupid, stupid line about French gay sailors. Not only is it all over the majority of both albums, it's not even done convincingly! Terrible butchering.

[thepowergoats.com]

Posted by: microvibe ()
Date: March 13, 2013 22:15

thin lizzy-live and dangerous

Posted by: GravityBoy ()
Date: March 13, 2013 22:19

microvibe
thin lizzy-live and dangerous

Not very live.

Posted by: jp.M ()
Date: March 13, 2013 22:26

ya's ya's is better now....

Posted by: microvibe ()
Date: March 13, 2013 22:58

Brian Robertson Puts the Live Back in Live and Dangerous
By Matt Blackett
Tue, 7 Feb 2012
inShare
print ShareThis rss

Since leaving Thin Lizzy in 1978, Brian “The Boys Are Back in Town” Robertson has continued to crank out his singular brand of blues-based rock, most notably on his latest, Diamonds and Dirt, a collection of rockers that feature big tones, bigger riffs, and sexy solos. Despite his moving on from Lizzy decades ago, Robertson is still vexed by producer Tony Visconti’s suggestion that the tracks on Lizzy’s classic Live and Dangerous weren’t live at all. Here he sets the record straight, in true Robbo fashion.

It’s a persistent story in the music business that there’s not much live playing on Lizzy’s live record, and yet that’s not your recollection.

It’s not my recollection, it’s not Brian Downey’s recollection, and it’s not Scott Gorham’s recollection. This is down to Mr. Visconti. Let me get this straight because this is really starting to piss me off.

I didn’t mean it to be a hostile question.

I’m not being hostile towards you at all. The only person I’m being hostile to is Tony Visconti, who I hold in great esteem. I just don’t understand why he’s come out and said these things. He has said, “It’s 75 percent overdubs.” What the f**k drugs is he on? I’d like some of them. Think about this for one second and then you can make your own mind up. We’re playing live, the drums are all miked up, all the vocal mikes are open. We are a very loud band, me being the loudest out of all of us. So how are you going to replace my guitar when it’s so loud that it’s going to bleed all over the bloody drum kit? You can’t! It’s perfectly impossible. There’s no way, when Robbo’s using two Marshall 100s cranked up to ten, that it isn’t going to spill over to the drum tracks. This is why I don’t understand this bollocks that’s going on.

Here’s another point. When we were mixing Live and Dangerous, there was one take of “Still in Love with You” where my solo was just unbelievably brilliant. I’m not being a big head here, but when we heard that take I went, “That’s the one.” But Phil Lynott had left his phaser on and it was turned so fast that the bass was going “wow wow wow.” So why didn’t Tony Visconti just fix the bass track? Because he couldn’t overdub the bass. You know why? Because the bass stacks were next to the drums and the bass was bleeding all over the drum mikes and everything! There’s your answer right there. End of story, really. I’ll go to court with the guy over it.

Thin Lizzy’s Live and Dangerous
Did you do any overdubs?

I think the only thing we overdubbed was a couple of little licks on Scott’s guitar— because he played a lot quieter than I did— and a couple of backing vocals. I think Phil put one or two bass lines in and that was it. That is not 75 percent. Like I said, I don’t know what drugs the man is on but he’s talking absolute sh*t. I don’t understand why a producer of the caliber that Tony Visconti obviously is would stick by this story. But hey, I love the guy—he’s a great producer. I just think he needs to rethink his statements on this.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: March 13, 2013 22:59

The overdubs don't faze me ..you can have the rest YA YA's just makes me feel good ...

ROCKMAN

Posted by: MileHigh ()
Date: March 13, 2013 23:36

My cynical side says that polls like that are nonsensical idiocy. To be qualified to vote in that poll you would have had to have listened to and be familiar with all of the live albums listed in the poll.

I will assume that less than 2% of the people that voted were familiar with all of the albums in the list.

98% of the people that voted cast dummy ignoramus stoopid and irresponsible votes.

Grrrrrrrrrrrr.....

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: March 13, 2013 23:41

MileHigh
My cynical side says that polls like that are nonsensical idiocy. To be qualified to vote in that poll you would have had to have listened to and be familiar with all of the live albums listed in the poll.

I will assume that less than 2% of the people that voted were familiar with all of the albums in the list.

98% of the people that voted cast dummy ignoramus stoopid and irresponsible votes.

Grrrrrrrrrrrr.....

seems like you don't know how polls work...all the shortcomings you point out are essential parts of any inane poll...

Posted by: Whale ()
Date: March 14, 2013 00:01

Voted according to allegiance.
But honestly speaking it's a very close shave with the Allmans.

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: March 14, 2013 00:49

Just did my bit and voted for Ya Ya's. I didn't even look at all the albums on there...who cares? It's meaningless, but fun. We might as well rig the whole thing. grinning smiley

Posted by: TooTough ()
Date: March 14, 2013 00:52

Who Made The Best Classic Live Album Ever?

Rolling Stones - Get Yer Ya Ya's Out 70.65%

The Who - Live At Leeds 10.87%

Bob Seger - Live Bullet 4.71%

Peter Frampton - Frampton Comes Alive 4.35%

Allman Brothers Band - Live At The Fillmore East 2.54%

KISS - Alive! 2.17%

Jimi Hendrix - Band Of Gypsy's 1.81%

J. Geils Band - Live Full House 1.81%

Cheap Trick - Live At Budokan 0.72%

Neil Young & Crazy Horse - Rust Never Sleeps 0.36%

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-03-14 00:52 by TooTough.

Posted by: ash ()
Date: March 14, 2013 01:06

Peter Green's Fleetwood Mac Live At The Boston Tea Party 1970- aka The Boston Box - totally live,no dubs and Green at the peak of his powers - leaves Keith and MT in the dust.
Peter Green and Danny Kirwan were the best British double act on guitar.
25 minute Rattlesnake Shake is utterly incredible and tracks such as Danny's World In Harmony have the two playing in..perfect harmony. Jumping At Shadows is beautiful and tragic in a way only Brian Wilson can usually manage. Shame about Jeremy Spencer's endless Elmore James tributes and parodies but still, i've never heard a finer live album that is actually live with no post production embellishments.
Now if you could vote for bootlegs that might be a different story.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: March 14, 2013 01:27

ash
Peter Green's Fleetwood Mac Live At The Boston Tea Party 1970- aka The Boston Box - totally live,no dubs and Green at the peak of his powers - leaves Keith and MT in the dust.
Peter Green and Danny Kirwan were the best British double act on guitar.
25 minute Rattlesnake Shake is utterly incredible and tracks such as Danny's World In Harmony have the two playing in..perfect harmony. Jumping At Shadows is beautiful and tragic in a way only Brian Wilson can usually manage. Shame about Jeremy Spencer's endless Elmore James tributes and parodies but still, i've never heard a finer live album that is actually live with no post production embellishments.
Now if you could vote for bootlegs that might be a different story.

thumbs up one of the best

Posted by: custom55 ()
Date: March 14, 2013 01:42

Posted by: hot stuff ()
Date: March 14, 2013 01:54

Stones are rock. VOTE STONES !

Posted by: backstreetboy1 ()
Date: March 14, 2013 02:06

stones are my fav band by a mile,but best live album ever,by far.deep purple-made in japan.nothing comes close.

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: March 14, 2013 02:12

Yeah Live at Leeds is the best for me. The original, incredible force of nature. The album practically melts the turntable. Combustable full force rock and roll. Epic.

Posted by: millerman60 ()
Date: March 14, 2013 02:41

Loved the lp when it came out, and really love the expanded reissued CD of Mott the Hoople Live. Probably not one of the greatest, but a sentimental favorite of mine, is The Kinks One From the Road, as the several late 70's Kinks shows I saw were the most fun I ever had at a rock concert. I would also give honorable mention to Rock 'N Roll Animal. Steve Hunter and Dick Wagner were a killer guitar team.

Date: March 14, 2013 02:50

Yeah I too have a lot of love for The Kinks One for the Road. I saw them for the tour of that album and it was amazing. Cobo Hall in Detroit, only my third concert, and I loved every minute of it and led me towards a life long obsession for all things Kinks. I have to get the Mott one, I don't have it and actually need to collect their stuff, as it is a hole in my collection. Rock and Roll Animal is fantastic. A strange bloated version of Lou but it fits. Big guitars, long jams, all things that seem the antithesis of Lou but he pulls it off. I like the Pt. II Lou Reed Live with a fantastic version of Oh Jim. The drums on that are so mennacing, and it has a wonderful build to totall intensity. "Oh Jim! Why did you have to treat me that way?"

Posted by: millerman60 ()
Date: March 14, 2013 03:34

Also love the One From the Road DVD. Brings back great memories. I was too young when Full House came out so my go to J Geils live album was Blow Your Face Out. That one always got the party started. As a hard rockin' teenage Stoner, another favorite was UFO's Strangers in the Night. Another one I loved that hasn't been mentioned is Blue Oyster Cult's On Your Feet or On Your Knees.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: March 14, 2013 04:46

This puts a lot of those on the list to shame. One man, one guitar, live, maybe the best instrumental tour de force, ever....

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: ab ()
Date: March 14, 2013 04:58

I'll take 1969 Velvet Underground Live over Rock 'n' Roll Animal any day of the week. RnRA is Lou Reed as a doped-up, slurring self-parody backed by the best band money can buy to hide his obvious indifference. 1969 Live is a real band with Lou taking charge.

I'd also go with Bob Dylan Live 1966 (Bootleg Series 4).

Date: March 14, 2013 05:27

Well I am not sure I hear Lou slurring on Rock n' Roll Animal, but he certainly is off the rails on Take no Prisoners. Like watching a train wrek in process, intresting, somewhat terrifying, and grotesque. . .

Posted by: Glam Descendant ()
Date: March 14, 2013 05:46

ab
I'll take 1969 Velvet Underground Live over Rock 'n' Roll Animal any day of the week. RnRA is Lou Reed as a doped-up, slurring self-parody backed by the best band money can buy to hide his obvious indifference. 1969 Live is a real band with Lou taking charge.

I'd also go with Bob Dylan Live 1966 (Bootleg Series 4).

Best post in this thread, I agree on both counts.

I'm surprised no one's made a vote for the Expensive Winos.

I will add that Miles Davis made some tremendous live albums particularly in the 70s.

Posted by: Glam Descendant ()
Date: March 14, 2013 06:05

whitem8
Well I am not sure I hear Lou slurring on Rock n' Roll Animal, but he certainly is off the rails on Take no Prisoners. Like watching a train wrek in process, intresting, somewhat terrifying, and grotesque. . .

Oh brother, that's his failed attempt at being Lenny Bruce. Lou did release an excellent live album a few years ago that went pretty much unnoticed : ANIMAL SERENADE. My personal favorite though is still LIVE IN ITALY with the amazing Robert Quine.

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: March 14, 2013 08:39

Mmmm listen here when Quine force Reed to do a fantastic version of Wild Side...

2 1 2 0

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: March 14, 2013 15:41

I'd like to throw my two cents in for James Brown Live at the Apollo.

I think that is amongst the first big live discs and is still amongst the best, if not the best.

Funk'n'rights!

Posted by: mickschix ()
Date: March 14, 2013 16:21

I just voted for the Stones and it said they were ahead, by A LOT! 73%....the Who were second...I love LIVE AT LEEDS, just played it last night!

Posted by: flashhh ()
Date: March 14, 2013 17:01

Little Feat's "Waiting For Columbus" should be in the mix of the best ever live albums. It is fantastic.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: March 14, 2013 17:11

Their debut album is more live than Ya-Ya's. grinning smiley

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1863
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home