Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: OT - Charlie Sexton Appreciation Day
Posted by: GRNRBITW ()
Date: April 6, 2013 18:04

windmelody
Charlie Sexton is not in Dylan's band anymore. Let us wish him luck?Does anybody know why he left?

just noticed that duke robillard replaced him at last night's tour opener. duke's great.

speaking of dylan's ex-axemen...local legend denny freeman plays around town here in a couple of bands...gonna catch his jazz show at the elephant room later in the week. one of the truly great jazz joints in the country...can't wait...oh...and it's a freebie, the way it should be....

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: April 6, 2013 20:23

Munichhilton

Dammit you two...
Chuck is a musician NOT a magician...there is only so much left to work with in the Dylan camp.

Alas you're right. Most of the recent Dylan live material I've heard is pretty appaling. It's not just the voice/croaking it's the anemic perfs.

Date: April 6, 2013 20:26

This being said... Dylan 1st 2013 show's setlist is simply mouth-watering :

[www.boblinks.com]

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: April 6, 2013 20:56

windmelody
Charlie Sexton is not in Dylan's band anymore. Let us wish him luck!Does anybody know why he left?

don't know if its why he left, but his marriage fell apart and he seems to be concentrating on his own music and working with Bill Carter...didn't he JUST announce he's done with Dylan?

Maybe it was this thread?

Date: April 6, 2013 22:33

Munichhilton
windmelody
Charlie Sexton is not in Dylan's band anymore. Let us wish him luck!Does anybody know why he left?

don't know if its why he left, but his marriage fell apart

tangled up in blue? i blame bob....

Date: April 6, 2013 23:14

GRNRBITW
Munichhilton
windmelody

Is that what that song is about? I could never figure it out...too many damn words.

Date: April 6, 2013 23:15

Munichhilton
GRNRBITW
Munichhilton
windmelody

Is that what that song is about? I could never figure it out...too many damn words.

i studied the lines alot...and not the ones on her face....

Posted by: windmelody ()
Date: April 6, 2013 23:16

dcba

[www.boblinks.com]

Ten out of sixteen songs were released after 2000. Truly remarkable.

Date: April 6, 2013 23:18

GRNRBITW
Munichhilton
GRNRBITW
Munichhilton
windmelody

I'm still trying to figure out a bunch of songs. Like Bitch for instance. He says he had a horsemeat pie and then he says he's kicking his stall all night. Did he just eat his next stall neighbor?

Date: April 6, 2013 23:19

windmelody
dcba

[www.boblinks.com]

Ten out of sixteen songs were released after 2000. Truly remarkable.

prolly the reason you remarked on it.

Date: April 6, 2013 23:19

Munichhilton
GRNRBITW
Munichhilton
GRNRBITW
Munichhilton
windmelody

I'm still trying to figure out a bunch of songs. Like Bitch for instance. He says he had a horsemeat pie and then he says he's kicking his stall all night. Did he just eat his next stall neighbor?

who knows? i can't figure out what part of the song is about a female dog...it's almost dylanesque in its vagueness....

Date: April 7, 2013 12:48

If you have a Dime account the April 6 show is up :

1. Things Have Changed
2. Love Sick
3. High Water
4. Soon After Midnight
5. Early Roman Kings
6. Tangled Up in Blue
7. Pay in Blood
8. Visions of Johanna
9. Spirit on the Water
10. Beyond Here Lies Nothing
11. Blind Willie McTell
12. What Good Am I?
13. Thunder on a Mountain
14. Scarlet Town
15. All Along the Watchtower
16. (Encore Applause)
17. Ballad of a Thin Man

[www.dimeadozen.org]

Posted by: stupidguy2 ()
Date: April 8, 2013 07:53

Here's something you:

Date: July 13, 2013 11:57

Robillard out (June 30) & Sexton in again! smileys with beer
[www.rollingstone.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-07-13 11:58 by dcba.

Posted by: Seb91 ()
Date: July 13, 2013 14:03

dcba
Robillard out (June 30) & Sexton in again! smileys with beer
[www.rollingstone.com]

Saw this, Bob was obviously not happy with Duke. I liked what I'd heard of the Duke bootlegs and in some ways, as much as I love Charlie, kind of disappointed I won't be seeing Duke at the Albert Hall in November as it was an interesting change. Having said that, Charlie's amazing, was blown away when I saw him with Bob in 2011. The recent shows with Charlie back in sound amazing judging from the YouTube bootlegs, hope the quality is the same in November! Also, so happy Bob is playing a lot of the more recent stuff, I think he's put out some of his best work in recent years, "Tempest" was a masterpiece!

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: July 13, 2013 16:39

so charlie sexton is back with bob ?

Posted by: dadrob ()
Date: July 13, 2013 17:07

glad to hear CS is back..much better fit than Duke to my ears...

Date: July 13, 2013 17:34

Apparently Robbie didn't understand the #1 rule with Dylan : don't step on the man' musical feet = don't play when he sings or when he blows his harp.

I just got the St. Paul July 10 tape and CS brings a slightly more electric sound. And Dylan sounds good too. I have a hunch he loves having Sexton back with him.

All this makes the current Dylan tour a must-see if he comes to your town (imo).

Date: July 13, 2013 18:31

Great move for Dylan, but damn I was looking forward to having Charlie around town again. He's only played just a handful of small shows featuring his new music...that nice Dylan paycheck will sideline progress...

But good on ya Chuck...you deserve the best...

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: July 13, 2013 18:44

Yeah, that set list looks fantastic. He played pretty much the same set list last night in Illinois. I am seeing him tomorrow in Clarkston MI (formerly known as Pine Knob). Looking forward to it. Also to see Wilco!

Posted by: ndhan ()
Date: July 13, 2013 22:14

Yes, Charlie Sexton was there last weekend playing in Bob Dylan's band at the Americana Festival near Cincinnati with the Richard Thompson Trio, My Morning Jacket, Wilco, and Bob Dylan. Charlie Sexton was totally locked into Bob's every nuance. Bob was downright animated. A great festival.

What happened to Duke Robillard? Anybody know why he's not playing with Bob any more?

Lurker Nancy

Posted by: sanQ ()
Date: July 14, 2013 09:20

Duke is not in the band, as stated above, because he was playing overtop of everything and also playing too loud. He played as though he was the only guy in the band that mattered.

Bob and Duke had an onstage "confrontation" of sorts, where Duke, oblivious to the songs and to Dylan, kept playing overtop of and overwhelming Bob's vocals and harmonica solos and wouldn't stop.

There was no dynamic with Duke. He was hogging all the spaces between verses and during verses. At one point, Bob stopped playing the piano and started tapping his hand on top of it and staring at Duke just waiting for him to pay attention which didn't happen for a long time. Duke seems to be a bit full of himself and doesn't really understand Dylan or what Dylan wants out of a guitar player. He wasn't even listening to Bob AT ALL!

Someone also stated that Bob on a different night, one of Duke's last, in the middle of a song, left the piano, walked up to Duke with arms flailing and accentuating what must have been his question: What the **** are you doing? Dylan was angry.

They had a meeting after the show. Duke then posted on facebook that he was selling all of his slightly used Bob Dylan records and cds as well as amps and guitars.

Either Dylan fired him, or Duke left voluntarily after the incident. Duke never said what really happened. But if he had left voluntarily or quit, I am sure he would have said so. More than likely he was fired outright.

Date: July 14, 2013 10:33

Bring back Billy Burnette... who lasted only 11 shows back in 2003 (?)

Date: July 14, 2013 17:30

sanQ
Duke is not in the band, as stated above, because he was playing overtop of everything and also playing too loud. He played as though he was the only guy in the band that mattered.

Bob and Duke had an onstage "confrontation" of sorts, where Duke, oblivious to the songs and to Dylan, kept playing overtop of and overwhelming Bob's vocals and harmonica solos and wouldn't stop.

There was no dynamic with Duke. He was hogging all the spaces between verses and during verses. At one point, Bob stopped playing the piano and started tapping his hand on top of it and staring at Duke just waiting for him to pay attention which didn't happen for a long time. Duke seems to be a bit full of himself and doesn't really understand Dylan or what Dylan wants out of a guitar player. He wasn't even listening to Bob AT ALL!

Someone also stated that Bob on a different night, one of Duke's last, in the middle of a song, left the piano, walked up to Duke with arms flailing and accentuating what must have been his question: What the **** are you doing? Dylan was angry.

They had a meeting after the show. Duke then posted on facebook that he was selling all of his slightly used Bob Dylan records and cds as well as amps and guitars.

Either Dylan fired him, or Duke left voluntarily after the incident. Duke never said what really happened. But if he had left voluntarily or quit, I am sure he would have said so. More than likely he was fired outright.

Makes sense. It must be hard to breathe knowing Charlie is staring at your seat. Duke will land on his uninventive and tired career...

Posted by: windmelody ()
Date: July 16, 2013 11:06

Charlie Sexton is out, Colin Linden is in.

Posted by: Floorbird ()
Date: July 16, 2013 14:13

I was at the show last night here in Toronto for Dylan's "Americanarama" tour with "Wilco", "My Morning Jacket" and Richard Thompson and it was Colin Linden a Toronto musician who filled in for Charlie. My hope is that it was probably a one off, maybe border trouble.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1616
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home