Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123456Next
Current Page: 1 of 6
Cherry Oh Baby
Posted by: punkfloyd ()
Date: March 3, 2013 05:59

Just learned this is a cover. I never paid attention to songwriting credits for this song. I always assumed this was something Keith wrote in a ganja haze or just a casual reggae jam they recorded with scratch lyrics that were good enough.

Re: Cherry Oh Baby
Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: March 3, 2013 06:43

Donaldson is da man but that Freddy McGregor lays it down way-cool

ROCKMAN

Posted by: NoCode0680 ()
Date: March 3, 2013 07:13

I knew it was a cover, but this is the first time I've heard the original. I love the Stones version, but this blows it out of the water. Especially those high notes he hits, what a voice that dude has.

Date: March 3, 2013 07:27

Donaldson won the Jamaican Festival Song Competition in '71 with Cherry Oh Baby ........

ROCKMAN

Date: March 3, 2013 07:31

.... da Cherry Oh riddum has been used on a hut-fulla tunes .......

Here cop these .....[www.riddimguide.com]

ROCKMAN

Posted by: GRNRBITW ()
Date: March 3, 2013 17:42

Bo Donaldson & The Heywoods. Now, that was a killer act. Still waiting for the much-hyped reunion tour.

Date: March 3, 2013 20:04

.....don't be a hero .. please stay on topic ...

ROCKMAN

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: March 3, 2013 21:01

I prefer Stones version

Posted by: slew ()
Date: March 3, 2013 21:11

Stones version is one of the unbearable songs they do.

Posted by: Braincapers ()
Date: March 3, 2013 21:25

I've had Eric Donaldson's version since it was released so when the Stones version came out I was very familiar with the original and I've always preferred it.

Dennis Alcapone's Ripe Cherry is good too.

Date: March 3, 2013 21:30

slew
Stones version is one of the unbeatable songs they do.

yup

Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: March 3, 2013 21:39

The Stones' version is THE worst Charlie Watts performance ever. He's always been glaringly unsuitable for reggae, but this particular track drives that point home.

[thepowergoats.com]

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: March 3, 2013 21:47

GRNRBITW
slew

yup

Yeah I don't understand the underappreciation...every one of the 8 tracks on this album is great and have really held up well.

Date: March 3, 2013 22:26

treaclefingers
GRNRBITW
slew

yup

Yeah I don't understand the underappreciation...every one of the 8 tracks on this album is great and have really held up well.

I don't like agreeing with anyone on anything. But, I'll make an exception here as long as you don't make a big deal of it.

Posted by: jp.M ()
Date: March 3, 2013 22:31

Great version by the Stones...and I like the bass & drums section...

Posted by: uhbuhgullayew ()
Date: March 4, 2013 01:30

jp.M
Great version by the Stones...and I like the bass & drums section...

thumbs up

Black and Blue

Date: March 4, 2013 01:55

GRNRBITW
treaclefingers
GRNRBITW
slew

yup

I don't like agreeing with anyone on anything. But, I'll make an exception here as long as you don't make a big deal of it.

my eyes are glistening right now

Date: March 4, 2013 02:00

treaclefingers
GRNRBITW
treaclefingers
GRNRBITW
slew

yup

They should be. This almost NEVER EVER EVER happens. The only times it does is when things like this happen.

Posted by: shadooby ()
Date: March 4, 2013 02:01

jamesfdouglas
The Stones' version is THE worst Charlie Watts performance ever. He's always been glaringly unsuitable for reggae, but this particular track drives that point home.

Charlie's self-criticism of his reggae and "Diddley-esque" drumming abilities is just that. He's quite good at both.

Date: March 4, 2013 02:03

GRNRBITW
treaclefingers
GRNRBITW
treaclefingers
GRNRBITW
slew

yup

They should be. This almost NEVER EVER EVER happens. The only times it does is when things like this happen.

What the hell is this saline discharge emanating from my eyes?!
You're scaring me.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: March 4, 2013 10:27

I think the MSG 1975 version is brilliant.

Mathijs

Posted by: GravityBoy ()
Date: March 4, 2013 10:33

jamesfdouglas

Bill's bass doesn't work either.

And I'm a Bill fan.

Date: March 4, 2013 11:50

Mathijs
I think the MSG 1975 version is brilliant.

Mathijs

took the post right out of my mouth. What I especially love about that version is that on stage in front of 25,000 people they were able to come up with a more loose and lilting shamble version than in the studio.

Posted by: Glam Descendant ()
Date: March 4, 2013 12:18

I'll ask once again: why were the Stones on Sanibel Island? For the sole purpose of a photo shoot? That seems incongruous to say the least but I've yet to find an explanation.

Posted by: tomcasagranda ()
Date: March 4, 2013 12:36

It's not a bad cover: not as bad as Under The Boardwalk, or My Girl. These are the Stones covers that I really loathe and detest.

Posted by: punkfloyd ()
Date: March 4, 2013 14:11

You know, I never really took the Stones' forays into reggae seriously. In the same way they sent up country with Faraway Eyes, they were just having a laugh. Cherry Oh Baby probably should have been kept off Black and Blue, but oh well.

At least they helped introduce me to Bob Marley, Peter Tosh, Jimmy Cliff, Sly and Robbie, etc...

Poor Charlie and Bill can't escape their umm... non Jamaicaness! In contrast, just listen to this:

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-03-04 14:13 by punkfloyd.

Posted by: NoCode0680 ()
Date: March 4, 2013 14:12

Glam Descendant
I'll ask once again: why were the Stones on Sanibel Island? For the sole purpose of a photo shoot? That seems incongruous to say the least but I've yet to find an explanation.

I don't know for sure, but I can take a guess. Maybe after finishing the album they wanted to go relax in a bit of a warmer climate before starting the '76 tour. They finished up the album in New York in February, and then shot the cover later that month. It may have not been hot (depending on what you consider hot, but I'm from Texas where we have our own sun) in Florida, but much warmer than New York. A Google search says the average temp on Sanibel during the winter months is 75°F (24°C), which probably seems like paradise after a New York winter. I don't know whether or not they went straight from New York to Florida though. Maybe they were doing something else closer down that way, but still, New York to Fort Myers (which is where I'm assuming they flew to) would only take a couple of hours.

Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: March 5, 2013 21:04

GravityBoy
jamesfdouglas

Bill's bass doesn't work either.

And I'm a Bill fan.

Amen to that. This is one of the worst recording they made in the 70s.

[thepowergoats.com]

Posted by: RnT ()
Date: March 8, 2013 11:38

I like this one

Date: March 8, 2013 11:41

Just love this track. It's charming and has lots of feel.

The live version was brilliant! thumbs up

Goto Page: 123456Next
Current Page: 1 of 6

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2066
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home