Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 3 of 5
Re: A New Album: Now, Or Never!
Date: March 2, 2013 02:08

stonehearted
JumpinJackOLantern
How about we "rally" for a new Stones album in our respective cities all over the world? All on the same day. Wouldn't have to be more than a few people per group. We could go to the sidewalk of the major news station in our respective cities, towns, villages; carrying signs, and chanting, "We Want A New Stones Album!"

The creative act cannot be forced, it must be allowed to just happen. In the meantime, enjoy the albums you have. Not counting bootlegs, you have 439 songs to choose from, more than you can listen to on any given day. Would it make a difference if you had 450 to choose from?

It's not really about numbers. I understand you're point though, but they had to be forced into a room together to write in the first place. If not, then who knows what they would have done. They didn't have much expectations in the beginning for themselves. Sometimes a good swift kick in the ass is the best motivator. The problem with that is they have become far too big for their own britches, and who is going to stand up to them today and tell them what they need to hear? They really need someone with some huge "balls," someone like a Don Cherry type, to get in their faces and challenge them to close this thing out right.

Posted by: alimente ()
Date: March 2, 2013 04:34

JumpinJackOLantern
I understand you're point though, but they had to be forced into a room together to write in the first place. If not, then who knows what they would have done. They didn't have much expectations in the beginning for themselves. Sometimes a good swift kick in the ass is the best motivator.

The problem is that you take myths like this "forced kitchen songwriting session" as the historical truth. Even if it was, it cannot be repeated. Who's there to lay some pressure on them? Who's there who could "lock them in until they come out" with great material?

It's difficult anyway. If they do an untypical album, there would be people who say: "Nice, but that's no way to close the career. They need to do another typical Stones album with the typical mix of mid and uptempo rockers, ballads, country & dance tunes." If they do just that, then other people would be disappointed with such a "same old, same old"-concept.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: March 2, 2013 04:45

We saw our last Great Rolling Stones song around 1981 (a few will quibble about the year, but I think that's about right). We won't see another. Is this a problem? Only if we pine for the impossible and then are disappointed when it doesn't occur.

Date: March 2, 2013 17:02

71Tele
We saw our last Great Rolling Stones song around 1981 (a few will quibble about the year, but I think that's about right). We won't see another. Is this a problem? Only if we pine for the impossible and then are disappointed when it doesn't occur.

They just wrote two fantastic songs. So what is the reason they won't take the time to write more? Are things really healed between Mick and Keith or is it just laziness? You tell me.

Posted by: GRNRBITW ()
Date: March 2, 2013 17:06

JumpinJackOLantern
71Tele

They just wrote two fantastic songs.

That's awesome! When will we get to hear them??

Date: March 2, 2013 17:09

alimente
JumpinJackOLantern
I understand you're point though, but they had to be forced into a room together to write in the first place. If not, then who knows what they would have done. They didn't have much expectations in the beginning for themselves. Sometimes a good swift kick in the ass is the best motivator.

The problem is that you take myths like this "forced kitchen songwriting session" as the historical truth. Even if it was, it cannot be repeated. Who's there to lay some pressure on them? Who's there who could "lock them in until they come out" with great material?

It's difficult anyway. If they do an untypical album, there would be people who say: "Nice, but that's no way to close the career. They need to do another typical Stones album with the typical mix of mid and uptempo rockers, ballads, country & dance tunes." If they do just that, then other people would be disappointed with such a "same old, same old"-concept.

So what do you think the main reason is that we won't get a new album from these guys ever again? I would hate to think it's just artistic laziness.

Date: March 2, 2013 17:12

GRNRBITW
JumpinJackOLantern
71Tele

Yesterday, today, and tomorrow.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: March 2, 2013 18:10

GRNRBITW
JumpinJackOLantern
71Tele

You sarcastic bastard.

Posted by: GRNRBITW ()
Date: March 2, 2013 18:20

treaclefingers
GRNRBITW
JumpinJackOLantern
71Tele

You sarcastic bastard.

Are there better types of bastards?

Date: March 2, 2013 18:23

GRNRBITW
treaclefingers
GRNRBITW
JumpinJackOLantern
71Tele

You sarcastic bastard.

sincere ones...

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: March 2, 2013 18:23

GRNRBITW
treaclefingers
GRNRBITW
JumpinJackOLantern
71Tele

You sarcastic bastard.

arrogant

Posted by: blivet ()
Date: March 2, 2013 18:39

Personally I'm glad they probably won't release another album. The final "single" of "Doom and Gloom" backed with "One More Shot" is a nice way to bow out gracefully. I do wish they would release it in a 45 RPM vinyl version on Rolling Stones Records, but you can't have everything.

Posted by: phd ()
Date: March 2, 2013 19:47

Since ABB I don't expect a Staones album anymore. ABB is great final stop.

Date: March 2, 2013 20:42

phd
Since ABB I don't expect a Staones album anymore. ABB is great final stop.

Let's hope not, but you might just be right. Closing with ABB leaves a bad taste in my mouth. I guess they are just too lazy these days to actually make the effort.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: March 2, 2013 22:06

GRNRBITW
JumpinJackOLantern
71Tele

>grinning smiley<

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: March 2, 2013 22:27

Munichhilton
GRNRBITW
treaclefingers
GRNRBITW
JumpinJackOLantern
71Tele

You sarcastic bastard.

arrogant

suffering

Date: March 2, 2013 22:43

tatters
Munichhilton
GRNRBITW
treaclefingers
GRNRBITW
JumpinJackOLantern
71Tele

You sarcastic bastard.

arrogant

suffering

True, we're always suffering since BtB

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: March 3, 2013 00:20

JumpinJackOLantern
alimente
JumpinJackOLantern

So what do you think the main reason is that we won't get a new album from these guys ever again? I would hate to think it's just artistic laziness.

It's not that there will never be another new Stones album, as Mick has gone on record as saying he would like to work on a new Stones album eventually, it's just that for them at this moment in time a new album is not a priority. They are taking a year and playing a few shows to acknowledge their past in conjunction with their longevity, and a dozen new songs with a new album title and concert stage design and concept does not fit in with this idea.

After this summer, when the "50 and Counting" shows are finally over with, then they--and Mick especially--will be looking at the next step in their career, a new album. And with only a few recent shows behind them, there will be no need to take the next 2 years off before they regroup for a new studio album. My guess is they will begin recording this new album in early to mid 2014.

Speaking to your point above about the right type of producer, I agree that they need someone contemporary to them who would have the balls to counter their ideas and opinions in terms of quality control, someone who could stand up to them but who would also be a gentleman about it at the same time. My choice for this role would be Glyn Johns, who has also known them for 50 years as well [he first met them at one of their club gigs in 1963].

Date: March 3, 2013 05:24

stonehearted
JumpinJackOLantern
alimente
JumpinJackOLantern

It's not that there will never be another new Stones album, as Mick has gone on record as saying he would like to work on a new Stones album eventually, it's just that for them at this moment in time a new album is not a priority. They are taking a year and playing a few shows to acknowledge their past in conjunction with their longevity, and a dozen new songs with a new album title and concert stage design and concept does not fit in with this idea.

After this summer, when the "50 and Counting" shows are finally over with, then they--and Mick especially--will be looking at the next step in their career, a new album. And with only a few recent shows behind them, there will be no need to take the next 2 years off before they regroup for a new studio album. My guess is they will begin recording this new album in early to mid 2014.

Speaking to your point above about the right type of producer, I agree that they need someone contemporary to them who would have the balls to counter their ideas and opinions in terms of quality control, someone who could stand up to them but who would also be a gentleman about it at the same time. My choice for this role would be Glyn Johns, who has also known them for 50 years as well [he first met them at one of their club gigs in 1963].

What you have said here sounds reasonable, and may in fact be exactly the course Mick has charted, but I fear he is basing this decision (if true) more on how he feels personally rather than the reality facing the others, especially Keith and Charlie. In recent years I came to the belief that it would most likely be Charlie that would end the Stones. I don't think he is going to agree to continue after this year is over, Even if he does my gut tells me that this year is it for them, however, they have proved me wrong many times before. I hope they go on forever, or at least long enough to bang out one last great album, whenever that may be.

Date: March 3, 2013 19:51

JumpinJackOLantern
GumbootCloggeroo
JumpinJackOLantern, please tell us more about the Sons Of The Beatles. Would they do all Beatles songs? Some originals? Would they be dressed up like their fathers and be asked to mimic their on stage mannerisms and style of playing?

They would not be a Beatles tribute band, per say, if that is what you are asking? That's not to say they couldn't work a few of their fathers songs into their performances and maybe even "dress the part" for those few songs. The vast majority of the setlist would be made up of new songs that they have written. I would expect them to spend considerable time in the studio producing new "Sons Of Beatles" music.

To expand on this, I think, for starters, they should come together in 2014 in celebration of their fathers 50th anniversary of coming to America in 1964. That was the true beginning of Beatlemania in the United States. A "coming together" (a single concert) for that historic anniversary would be the perfect "teaser" for future full scale operations. That single concert would include Paul, Ringo, and Yoko. And yes, for this special occasion they could start the show doing early Beatles tunes dressed in "Beatles suits." Later in the show they could change to Sgt. Pepper attire to close the show. In between they could introduce a new song or two. It would be a one-off and never be repeated. The next time they get together (possibly in 2017 to 2020) it would be "all about them" and "their music" - new "Sons Of Beatles" music. Of course, it would always be in their best interest to include at least a couple of their father's 'classics" at every concert they do - just out of respect. Now, do I think it's going to happen EXACTLY as I have dreamed it? Probably not, but rest assured, I am going to do everything in my power to make it happen. I don't give up easily.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-03-03 19:58 by JumpinJackOLantern.

Date: March 3, 2013 20:03

JumpinJackOLantern
JumpinJackOLantern
GumbootCloggeroo
JumpinJackOLantern, please tell us more about the Sons Of The Beatles. Would they do all Beatles songs? Some originals? Would they be dressed up like their fathers and be asked to mimic their on stage mannerisms and style of playing?

They would not be a Beatles tribute band, per say, if that is what you are asking? That's not to say they couldn't work a few of their fathers songs into their performances and maybe even "dress the part" for those few songs. The vast majority of the setlist would be made up of new songs that they have written. I would expect them to spend considerable time in the studio producing new "Sons Of Beatles" music.

To expand on this, I think, for starters, they should come together in 2014 in celebration of their fathers 50th anniversary of coming to America in 1964. That was the true beginning of Beatlemania in the United States. A "coming together" (a single concert) for that historic anniversary would be the perfect "teaser" for future full scale operations. That single concert would include Paul, Ringo, and Yoko. And yes, for this special occasion they could start the show doing early Beatles tunes dressed in "Beatles suits." Later in the show they could change to Sgt. Pepper attire to close the show. In between they could introduce a new song or two. It would be a one-off and never be repeated. The next time they get together (possibly in 2017 to 2020) it would be "all about them" and "their music" - new "Sons Of Beatles" music. Of course, it would always be in their best interest to include at least a couple of their father's 'classics" at every concert they do - just out of respect. Now, do I think it's going to happen EXACTLY as I have dreamed it? Probably not, but rest assured, I am going to do everything in my power to make it happen. I don't give up easily.

And, I still haven't given up on Michelle Wie!

Date: March 3, 2013 20:05

JumpinJackOLantern
JumpinJackOLantern
JumpinJackOLantern
GumbootCloggeroo

Or, the Rolling Stones doing one last great album!

Date: March 3, 2013 20:06

JumpinJackOLantern
JumpinJackOLantern
JumpinJackOLantern
JumpinJackOLantern
GumbootCloggeroo

Or, Burned Piston and Twisted Prop re-uniting!

Date: March 3, 2013 20:09

JumpinJackOLantern
JumpinJackOLantern
JumpinJackOLantern
JumpinJackOLantern
JumpinJackOLantern
GumbootCloggeroo

Or, The Toronto Maple Leafs, Montreal Canadiens, Vancouver Canucks, and Seattle Slews (future Seattle NHL team) winning the Stanley Cup!

Date: March 3, 2013 20:14

JumpinJackOLantern
JumpinJackOLantern
JumpinJackOLantern
JumpinJackOLantern
JumpinJackOLantern
JumpinJackOLantern
GumbootCloggeroo

Or, The Toronto Maple Leafs, Montreal Canadiens, Vancouver Canucks, and Seattle Slews (future Seattle NHL team) winning the Stanley Cup!

Or, the Washington Huskies defeating the Oregon Ducks in football!

Posted by: alimente ()
Date: March 3, 2013 20:17

JumpinJackOLantern
alimente
JumpinJackOLantern

Replace "laziness" with "emptiness" and there you have it.

However, an "artistic emptiness" is not a fixed affair, in terms of "fixed for once and all".

In case creativity hits them again in future, it's still possible that we will see another album. Of course, speaking about the future (=their future), it must always be added that time is not exactly on their side anymore.

Date: March 3, 2013 20:25

alimente
JumpinJackOLantern
alimente
JumpinJackOLantern

However, an "artistic emptiness" is not a fixed affair, in terms of "fixed for once and all".

In case creativity hits them again in future, it's still possible that we will see another album. Of course, speaking about the future (=their future), it must always be added that time is not exactly on their side anymore.

Yes, time is (indeed) no longer on their side. That's exactly the reason I want them to get their little English butts in the studio, NOW!

I think the problem might be that Mick just feels so damn good for a 69 year old. He was amazing a few months ago. He seems forever young, but I can't say the same for the others. Especially Keith and Charlie. I think Mick is making a big mistake if he waits until 2014 or 2015 to do that last great album. He may be the only one capable (or willing) at that point.

Date: March 3, 2013 20:36

JumpinJackOLantern
alimente
JumpinJackOLantern
alimente
JumpinJackOLantern

Yes, time is (indeed) no longer on their side. That's exactly the reason I want them to get their little English butts in the studio, NOW!

I think the problem might be that Mick just feels so damn good for a 69 year old. He was amazing a few months ago. He seems forever young, but I can't say the same for the others. Especially Keith and Charlie. I think Mick is making a big mistake if he waits until 2014 or 2015 to do that last great album. He may be the only one capable (or willing) at that point.

Come to think of it, do I dare say that maybe that's what he wants? To be the last Stone still rolling?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-03-03 20:51 by JumpinJackOLantern.

Date: March 8, 2013 07:57

JumpinJackOLantern
alimente
JumpinJackOLantern
alimente
JumpinJackOLantern

Mick, what more can I say? I have exhausted myself, and this board, trying to drive the point home how important it is for you and your mates to close this thing out right. Please don't wait any longer! It's time to hit the studio and bang out that one last great album! Do it NOW, before it's too late! Please.

Posted by: KeithNacho ()
Date: March 8, 2013 14:48

The real prolem is if they are motivated for such a task.
During last years is so evident the different aproaches in song composition arrangments, production....between Jagger and Richard
Years ago it was a comunion between both in musical terms. Now is like two different worlds, with different music conception that they not share . Just they a listen to BtB, each song is like if they were different people, is like a compilation of songs from different artists.................

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 3 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2021
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home