Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 2 of 5
Re: A New Album: Now, Or Never!
Posted by: GumbootCloggeroo ()
Date: February 27, 2013 20:23

JumpinJackOLantern
Rolling Hansie
"Now, Or Never" ... great title for the new album

thumbs upthumbs up
thumbs downthumbs down
"Now, Or Never" is not great because it gives a journalist or critic who doesn't like the record an opening to pan the record. I can see the headlines now. "Now, or Never? They should have chosen never". Might as well call the album "Shark Sandwich".

Date: February 27, 2013 20:27

Green Lady
JumpinJackOLantern
BlackHat
JumpinJackOLantern
GumbootCloggeroo
The Stones need one more album to push past the Sons of Beatles. Right?

Just who the hell are you exactly, and what are you up to? Seems to be some strange synchronicity going on.

And what's happened to the Sons of The Beatles project? Was looking forward to that.

The concept of the Sons of The Beatles is not a joke. It's a "No-Brainer." It would bring joy to millions and make a ton of money for all involved. James McCartney has expressed an interest in the concept at some point down the road. It isn't going to happen overnight, Sure, it would be cool if they could pull it together for the 50th anniversary of the Beatles coming to America in 2014 but that isn't likely. As a fan of the Stones you learn patience, as a fan (of the concept) of the Sons of The Beatles you must also exercise patience. At least you have had plenty of experience.

Ultimately, I think the deciding player in whether this will happen or not is going to be Yoko. Sean appears to be a "mommas boy" just like his dad - Yoko being the mother figure, of course. If Yoko gives it the green light then I think it can happen. Ringo's sons are another potential roadblock. I think Dhani would be in for it.

My best guess is that if it's going to happen it will be sometime later in this decade. In the meantime, I will be doing all that I can (as a fan) to make it happen - there is magic in the pen!

That's not a band, it's a cynical marketing exercise.

Once you join up, you become a band.

Please explain what you mean by, cynical marketing exercise?

Date: February 27, 2013 20:32

hot stuff
True. But with tape you can hide and layer the sound....Take SWAY or any of their
old hits. Every time you play it you hear something different.

With Digital recordings it just sounds to clean to be the Stones..

What i agree is that every fan has their own favorite period for what they think
the Stones should sound like..

The last album that they really worked hard on was Bridges...And many didn't like it...
Then they go back to the basic...Bigger Bang and many didn't like it..

Sadly i'm old enough to remember the Release on Exile...I loved it. But many people at the
time hated it.. I also remember a friend who told me his older brother bought Black n Blue
and returned it as he hated it...Saying this isn't the Stones...

Stones can't win..They need to play what they like and not try to cater to every fan..Just
play what you like and play it from the heart...That's what makes a great Stones album..HEART!

The Stones sound their best when they sound like they are playing in a garage and you are about a half block away. That's the way rock 'n roll should sound. ABB was boringly "clean", if you get my drift?

Posted by: hot stuff ()
Date: February 27, 2013 20:36

JUMPIN JACK..Right on....Thats what i'm trying to say..haha...

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: February 27, 2013 20:38

JumpinJackOLantern
Green Lady
JumpinJackOLantern
BlackHat
JumpinJackOLantern
GumbootCloggeroo

Just who the hell are you exactly, and what are you up to? Seems to be some strange synchronicity going on.

And what's happened to the Sons of The Beatles project? Was looking forward to that.

The concept of the Sons of The Beatles is not a joke. It's a "No-Brainer." It would bring joy to millions and make a ton of money for all involved. James McCartney has expressed an interest in the concept at some point down the road. It isn't going to happen overnight, Sure, it would be cool if they could pull it together for the 50th anniversary of the Beatles coming to America in 2014 but that isn't likely. As a fan of the Stones you learn patience, as a fan (of the concept) of the Sons of The Beatles you must also exercise patience. At least you have had plenty of experience.

Ultimately, I think the deciding player in whether this will happen or not is going to be Yoko. Sean appears to be a "mommas boy" just like his dad - Yoko being the mother figure, of course. If Yoko gives it the green light then I think it can happen. Ringo's sons are another potential roadblock. I think Dhani would be in for it.

My best guess is that if it's going to happen it will be sometime later in this decade. In the meantime, I will be doing all that I can (as a fan) to make it happen - there is magic in the pen!

If you make the decision to join up because you want to, that's a band. If someone else persuades you to join up because they can see that there is something non-music-related about you that will look good in the publicity - regardless of whether you would actually make a good band - then that's a marketing exercise. How good or bad the music turns out to be is essentially irrelevant, compared with the selling power of the words SONS OF THE BEATLES on that poster.

I don't know why I'm even discussing this - nothing is going to persuade you that this isn't the greatest idea since sliced bread, so I'm wasting my time, and I'm not going to waste any more of it.

Date: February 27, 2013 20:43

GumbootCloggeroo
JumpinJackOLantern
Rolling Hansie
"Now, Or Never" ... great title for the new album

thumbs upthumbs up
thumbs downthumbs down
"Now, Or Never" is not great because it gives a journalist or critic who doesn't like the record an opening to pan the record. I can see the headlines now. "Now, or Never? They should have chosen never". Might as well call the album "Shark Sandwich".

Yeah, like they could have done with A Bigger Bang - A Bigger Bust!

Date: February 27, 2013 20:58

Green Lady
JumpinJackOLantern
Green Lady
JumpinJackOLantern
BlackHat
JumpinJackOLantern
GumbootCloggeroo

If you make the decision to join up because you want to, that's a band. If someone else persuades you to join up because they can see that there is something non-music-related about you that will look good in the publicity - regardless of whether you would actually make a good band - then that's a marketing exercise. How good or bad the music turns out to be is essentially irrelevant, compared with the selling power of the words SONS OF THE BEATLES on that poster.

I don't know why I'm even discussing this - nothing is going to persuade you that this isn't the greatest idea since sliced bread, so I'm wasting my time, and I'm not going to waste any more of it.

Don't be so sensitive. We can have a discussion and agree to disagree.

The Sons of the Beatles are all pretty good little musicians. I would love to hear what they could come up with working as a unit. No doubt it would be a promoters dream, but it would bring joy to millions also, and that is the bottom line.

There is a certain "artistic snobbery" that exists in the minds of some artists. In a way, it's selfish. There is nothing like joining a team and working together towards a common goal.

Date: February 27, 2013 21:04

JumpinJackOLantern
Green Lady
JumpinJackOLantern
Green Lady
JumpinJackOLantern
BlackHat
JumpinJackOLantern
GumbootCloggeroo

The Sons of the Beatles are all pretty good little musicians. I would love to hear what they could come up with working as a unit. No doubt it would be a promoters dream, but it would bring joy to millions also, and that is the bottom line.

There is a certain "artistic snobbery" that exists in the minds of some artists. In a way, it's selfish. There is nothing like joining a team and working together towards a common goal.

And don't forget, the Beatles were more than just the music they played. It was their looks, their hair, their boots, their personalities, etc.. Same with the Stones.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-02-27 21:06 by JumpinJackOLantern.

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: February 27, 2013 21:12

JumpinJackOLantern
Green Lady
JumpinJackOLantern
Green Lady
JumpinJackOLantern
BlackHat
JumpinJackOLantern
GumbootCloggeroo

They may well be "pretty good little musicians". My point is that it wouldn't matter a damn if they weren't (you can do wonders with auto-tune these days...), because they're "THE SONS OF THE BEATLES", and that's all that's important for marketing purposes.

Date: February 27, 2013 21:24

Green Lady
JumpinJackOLantern
Green Lady
JumpinJackOLantern
Green Lady
JumpinJackOLantern
BlackHat
JumpinJackOLantern
GumbootCloggeroo

They may well be "pretty good little musicians". My point is that it wouldn't matter a damn if they weren't (you can do wonders with auto-tune these days...), because they're "THE SONS OF THE BEATLES", and that's all that's important for marketing purposes.

Agreed. That name, "The Sons Of The Beatles" does pack a powerful punch.

Posted by: GumbootCloggeroo ()
Date: February 27, 2013 21:41

JumpinJackOLantern, please tell us more about the Sons Of The Beatles. Would they do all Beatles songs? Some originals? Would they be dressed up like their fathers and be asked to mimic their on stage mannerisms and style of playing?

Date: February 28, 2013 00:53

Saw the thread title and thought it was about what is more on my mind when it comes to a new album: don't keep dragging your feet. Starting to hit 70.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: February 28, 2013 00:59

JumpinJackOLantern
Green Lady
JumpinJackOLantern
Green Lady
JumpinJackOLantern
Green Lady
JumpinJackOLantern
BlackHat
JumpinJackOLantern
GumbootCloggeroo

My 'Sons of Bitches' idea for band name never quite caught on. Sigh.

Posted by: charliesgood ()
Date: February 28, 2013 01:17

I was just reading an article in rolling stone about Elton Johns new album .He accepts the fact that it wouldn.t be played on radio or be much commercial sucess and he does not really seem to care so he made a nice piano based album with T bone Burnett to please hmself .Hopefully the Stones can abandon this notion of having a hit or new tunes to play in concert or whatever and just make what they want just for the hell of it and release it themselves

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: February 28, 2013 01:19

NEW ALBUM NOW OR next year... or the year after that... or in 5 years... or in 10 years, fine by me. I have plenty of Rolling Stones to listen to in the mean time.

Posted by: Jah Paul ()
Date: February 28, 2013 01:37

charliesgood
I was just reading an article in rolling stone about Elton Johns new album .He accepts the fact that it wouldn.t be played on radio or be much commercial sucess and he does not really seem to care so he made a nice piano based album with T bone Burnett to please hmself .Hopefully the Stones can abandon this notion of having a hit or new tunes to play in concert or whatever and just make what they want just for the hell of it and release it themselves

Elton adopted that philosophy a few years back (I've heard him mention it in other interviews), and I'm sure it led to him doing "The Union" album with Leon Russell...something different and a very enjoyable listen.

I really like his last quote in the article...

"It's the most adult record I can make at my age. I'm just heading toward being 80 years old and playing at the Holiday Inn."

Posted by: GRNRBITW ()
Date: February 28, 2013 01:55

Really? Our only two choices? Option #1 is now? Option #2 is never?

I'm gonna have to go with #2....

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: February 28, 2013 02:03

Based on the thread title, I thought they were going to record an album of Elvis covers.

That I would buy.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: February 28, 2013 03:11

JumpinJackOLantern

And don't forget, the Beatles were more than just the music they played. It was their looks, their hair, their boots, their personalities, etc.. Same with the Stones.

I think it was the trousers.

[www.youtube.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-02-28 03:13 by 71Tele.

Date: February 28, 2013 04:21

hot stuff
JUMPIN JACK..Right on....Thats what i'm trying to say..haha...

The Sonics are a good example of a great garage band. Raw and very powerful!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-02-28 16:33 by JumpinJackOLantern.

Date: February 28, 2013 04:26

Palace Revolution 2000
Saw the thread title and thought it was about what is more on my mind when it comes to a new album: don't keep dragging your feet. Starting to hit 70.

Yes, time is running out.

Date: February 28, 2013 04:50

GumbootCloggeroo
JumpinJackOLantern, please tell us more about the Sons Of The Beatles. Would they do all Beatles songs? Some originals? Would they be dressed up like their fathers and be asked to mimic their on stage mannerisms and style of playing?

They would not be a Beatles tribute band, per say, if that is what you are asking? That's not to say they couldn't work a few of their fathers songs into their performances and maybe even "dress the part" for those few songs. The vast majority of the setlist would be made up of new songs that they have written. I would expect them to spend considerable time in the studio producing new "Sons Of Beatles" music.

Date: February 28, 2013 04:51

treaclefingers
JumpinJackOLantern
Green Lady
JumpinJackOLantern
Green Lady
JumpinJackOLantern
Green Lady
JumpinJackOLantern
BlackHat
JumpinJackOLantern
GumbootCloggeroo

My 'Sons of Bitches' idea for band name never quite caught on. Sigh.

Give it some time.

Date: February 28, 2013 04:54

charliesgood

The Stones should adopt this very philosophy.

Date: February 28, 2013 04:57

GRNRBITW
Really? Our only two choices? Option #1 is now? Option #2 is never?

I'm gonna have to go with #2....

You may just get your wish.

Date: February 28, 2013 04:59

71Tele
JumpinJackOLantern

I think it was the trousers.

[www.youtube.com]

Yes, those fabulous Beatles suits were part of the etc..

Date: February 28, 2013 05:02

JumpinJackOLantern
charliesgood

The Stones should adopt this very philosophy.

And SOON!!!!!

Posted by: owlbynite ()
Date: February 28, 2013 07:42

Jah Paul
charliesgood

Elton adopted that philosophy a few years back (I've heard him mention it in other interviews), and I'm sure it led to him doing "The Union" album with Leon Russell...something different and a very enjoyable listen.

I really like his last quote in the article...

"It's the most adult record I can make at my age. I'm just heading toward being 80 years old and playing at the Holiday Inn."

Elton can play at my house anytime.

Date: March 1, 2013 23:04

How about we "rally" for a new Stones album in our respective cities all over the world? All on the same day. Wouldn't have to be more than a few people per group. We could go to the sidewalk of the major news station in our respective cities, towns, villages; carrying signs, and chanting, "We Want A New Stones Album!"

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: March 2, 2013 00:36

JumpinJackOLantern
How about we "rally" for a new Stones album in our respective cities all over the world? All on the same day. Wouldn't have to be more than a few people per group. We could go to the sidewalk of the major news station in our respective cities, towns, villages; carrying signs, and chanting, "We Want A New Stones Album!"

The creative act cannot be forced, it must be allowed to just happen. In the meantime, enjoy the albums you have. Not counting bootlegs, you have 439 songs to choose from, more than you can listen to on any given day. Would it make a difference if you had 450 to choose from?

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 2 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1403
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home