Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT: Dylan's forthcoming Record Store Day release "Wigwam" / "Thirsty Boots"
Posted by: Glam Descendant ()
Date: March 12, 2013 06:25

Bob Dylan is reportedly releasing a 7” single as part of Record Store Day 2013, according to an online round up of this year’s planned releases.

The 7” will comprise versions of “Wigwam” b/w “Thirsty Boots”, which may be taken from the forthcoming Bootleg Series Volume 10.

“Wigwam” was recorded in early 1970 for the Self Portrait album, and later released as single. The Record Store Day version is reportedly a demo. Meanwhile, “Thirsty Boots” is a Civil Rights era folk song written by Dylan’s Greenwich Village contemporary, Eric Andersen. Dylan recorded the song as part of the Self Portrait sessions, though his version has never been officially released.

In October last year, the Dylan fan site Isis reported rumours that recording sessions from 1969/1970, in particular the Self Portrait sessions, were being considered for Volume 10 - which this Record Store Day release appears to corroborate.

The Dylan camp has history of using Record Store Day to release prospective material from the Bootleg Series. Last November, Dylan released “Duquesne Whistle” from the Tempest album as a Record Store Day single, backed with an unreleased version of the Blood On The Tracks song, “Meet Me In The Morning”. “Meet Me In The Morning” was initially flagged up as being “taken from the forthcoming Bootleg Series Volume 11”, leading to speculation that the set might be drawn from Blood On The Tracks sessions. However, Record Store Day removed reference to the Bootleg Series shortly after.

The most recent edition of the Bootleg Series – Volume 9, The Whitmark Demos: 1962 – 1964 – was released in October 2010.

Record Store Day will publish a full list of this year's releases on March 21.

Read more at [www.uncut.co.uk]

Re: OT: Dylan's forthcoming Record Store Day release "Wigwam" / "Thirsty Boots"
Posted by: Come On ()
Date: March 12, 2013 09:08

Record Store Day is a great thing. Will be intressting to hear if Bob got his 'Nashville-Skyline-Voice' on Thirsty Boots ....Wigwam is the only studiotrack on Selfportrait he got that (The Nashville-Skyline-Voice)...

2 1 2 0

Date: March 12, 2013 09:12

>Wigwam is the only studiotrack on Selfportrait he got that (The Nashville-Skyline-Voice)...

Well... I don't agree. "Wigwam" is almost an instrumental, just Dylan doing a bunch of "la-la-las". I think he's got the NASHVILLE SKYLINE voice on "Copper Kettle", "Early Morning Rain", "I Forgot More Than You'll Ever Know", ....

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: March 12, 2013 09:52

Glam Descendant
>Wigwam is the only studiotrack on Selfportrait he got that (The Nashville-Skyline-Voice)...

Well... I don't agree. "Wigwam" is almost an instrumental, just Dylan doing a bunch of "la-la-las". I think he's got the NASHVILLE SKYLINE voice on "Copper Kettle", "Early Morning Rain", "I Forgot More Than You'll Ever Know", ....

I agree on 'I forgot more...' Early morning is def on it's way to the 'New Morning-voice' and 'Copper' halfway on the way...is that making any sence...smiling smiley

Date: March 12, 2013 10:12

>is that making any sence...

Absolutely!

I'm somewhere between bewildered & impressed that the powers-that-be would choose outtakes from his least popular, most controversial (pre-born again) album for a Bootleg Series release. I suspect Dylan was mightily disappointed by its reception in 1970 and would like some redemption for his efforts (despite his ludicrous disclaimers in interviews). It's due a reappraisal; it's "Americana" @ 20 years too early. Hell the outtakes may be better than what he chose to release.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-03-12 10:15 by Glam Descendant.

Posted by: seitan ()
Date: March 12, 2013 15:33

Glam Descendant

Absolutely!

I'm somewhere between bewildered & impressed that the powers-that-be would choose outtakes from his least popular, most controversial (pre-born again) album for a Bootleg Series release. I suspect Dylan was mightily disappointed by its reception in 1970 and would like some redemption for his efforts (despite his ludicrous disclaimers in interviews). It's due a reappraisal; it's "Americana" @ 20 years too early. Hell the outtakes may be better than what he chose to release.

Yeah, indeed - the outtakes may be better than what he chose to release, cause when any artist decides to release previously unreleased songs, years after the fact - he gets a new chance to remix, remaster, re-record instruments and even re-edit the songs, just like the Stones did with Some Girls bonus tracks.

It's interesting to hear if Dylans Self Potrait-era outtakes sound better, if they get remixed and remastered, etc

Posted by: GRNRBITW ()
Date: March 12, 2013 16:12

seitan
Glam Descendant

Absolutely!

Yeah, indeed - the outtakes may be better than what he chose to release, cause when any artist decides to release previously unreleased songs, years after the fact - he gets a new chance to remix, remaster, re-record instruments and even re-edit the songs, just like the Stones did with Some Girls bonus tracks.

It's interesting to hear if Dylans Self Potrait-era outtakes sound better, if they get remixed and remastered, etc

There already WAS a Self-Portrait outtakes record - DYLAN, released by CBS in response to bobby jumping to Asylum....

Posted by: tomcasagranda ()
Date: March 12, 2013 17:15

Didn't Bob say, via Chronicles, that a version of New Morning exists with horn-backing ? If so, I think a 2cd set of Self Portrait and New Morning material could be a viable option.

He may even throw in, as a precursor, the Cash / Dylan sessions.

Posted by: GRNRBITW ()
Date: March 12, 2013 17:17

tomcasagranda
He may even throw in, as a precursor, the Cash / Dylan sessions.
'

no! we already have that in A+ quality. please!

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: March 12, 2013 17:39

Makes me excited about the upcoming Bootleg release. I wonder how involved Bob is over them? Yes, the Stones could easily do a boxset of this type. I don't think we'll be getting any kind of 'old' songs until after the tour and the live DVD(s) that will produce. Maybe then, when they need product, they will turn their attention back to things like a deluxe Sticky Fingers.

Posted by: nashville ()
Date: March 12, 2013 17:58

Hopefully the "new" material will have some original compositions and perhaps quite a few "traditional" songs. Never really liked a lot of those contemporary covers that appeared on Self Portrait and Dylan.

A full Isle of Wght soundboard would be nice as well.

Andy

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: March 12, 2013 18:13

To inform those who haven't heard the original "Wigwam," I searched youtube and discovered:

Anybody know what the story behind this clip is??

Posted by: tomcasagranda ()
Date: March 12, 2013 19:12

loog droog
To inform those who haven't heard the original "Wigwam," I searched youtube and discovered:

Anybody know what the story behind this clip is??

It dates from 1990, and Van is performing Foreign Window from No Guru, No Method, No Teacher. The backing musician happens to be Bob Dylan, and the footage is from a 1990 documentary entitled One Irish Rover. They also sang Crazy Love together, and Dylan was also known, at the time, to cover One Irish Rover (the song) at his live gigs.

The back-drop to this impromptu gig is the Acropolis in Athens, which was the centre of activity for ancient Athenian society. Bob, in Chronicles, has stated that he was a huge reader of Thucydides, so he may have felt at home there. Van also referred to "You may call my love Sophia, I call my love Philosophy" in the album prior to No Guru, A sense of Wonder. Ancient Athens was also the cradle of philosophy, what with Socrates and Plato, also mentioned by Van on I Forgot That Love Existed.

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: March 12, 2013 22:04

Thanks for that information.

Looking forward to the next Bootleg Series issue. The one I've enjoyed the most (so far ) is Vol. 8, "Tell-Tale Signs."

Posted by: TeddyB1018 ()
Date: March 13, 2013 06:23

Conceptually, the Self Portrait/New Morning period wasn't that different than the Basement Tapes. Record some covers, re-record some originals, come up with some new stuff. The only problem was that the Basement Tapes were a blast and the later stuff was kind of stiff, probably because the Band was a lot more fun to jam with than the pros. Bob had trouble writing songs to bring into the studio from after 1966 until Blood on the Tracks.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1633
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home