Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
OT - Best Neil Young Albums To Start Out With
Posted by: JohnnyBGoode ()
Date: February 25, 2013 12:01

Bought Rust Never Sleeps over the weekend and loved it. People say start with all the Crazy Horse albums. Neil's discography is vast.

Re: OT - Best Neil Young Albums To Start Out With
Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: February 25, 2013 12:05

For the solo stuff start with After The Goldrush and Harvest. For the Crazy Horse/band albums start with Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere or Zuma. All are 5 star albums with not a turkey on them.

Posted by: tomcasagranda ()
Date: February 25, 2013 12:25

Harvest Moon and Le Noise are my favourites.

I also have a sneaking admiration for Old Ways, Are You Passionate, Prairie Wind, and on The Beach.

Date: February 25, 2013 14:25

Silver Dagger
For the solo stuff start with After The Goldrush and Harvest. For the Crazy Horse/band albums start with Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere or Zuma. All are 5 star albums with not a turkey on them.

i support this post

Posted by: andrewt ()
Date: February 25, 2013 14:32

If you like Rust Never Sleeps, you'll love Ragged Glory.
(In addition to the already mentioned Zuma & Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere)

Then move on to the likes of On The Beach & Tonight's The Night.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: February 25, 2013 14:47

Start here :
[www.iorr.org]

We can't afford to open a new NY thread every month. After all we're a Stones-oriented board! grinning smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-02-25 14:48 by dcba.

Posted by: Doc ()
Date: February 25, 2013 14:50

Great live album : WELD
A must

[doctorstonesblog.blogspot.com]

Posted by: rpc2uk ()
Date: February 25, 2013 14:56

I would say all his pre 1976 albums are essential except for maybe his 1st solo effort (Neil Young) which is good but suffers from being followed by a string of classic albums. I would include in that list his first live album "Time Fades Away" from 1973. This is currently unavailable on CD but good transfers from record do exist if you look hard enough (unfortunately their a number of poor transfers floating about)

1976 and onwards - you will find mixed opinions of Neil's best work. My favorites are Rust Never Sleeps , Ragged Glory , Sleep With Angels & Psychedelic Pill but I admit to not really knowing too much about his albums since 2000. His period with Geffen (82 -87) is a real mixed bag and ended up with him being sued by his record label for making records that did not sound like Neil Young records!! Listen before you buy these.

Finally Decade is an excellent compilation of his pre 76 stuff and also includes many tracks not on other albums.

Good luck, you have a very large and very unique body of work to explore

Posted by: kowalski ()
Date: February 25, 2013 15:00

Neil Young & Crazy Horse 70's classics : Everybody Knows this is Nowhere, Zuma, Rust Never Sleeps. You can't go wrong with these albums. Then if you want to hear more of their sound in concert there are two excellent live documents : Live Rust (1979) and Live at the Fillmore East 1970 (released in 2006) - the latter featuring the first Crazy Horse with Danny Whitten.

For NY & Crazy Horse later days, I would recommend Ragged Glory (1990) and Sleeps With Angels (1994).
Also their two last albums (both released in 2012), Americana and Psychedelic Pill, are both very good.

Finally if you really dig Crazy Horse sound, the first Crazy Horse album (released in 1971) is a must. Excellent from start to finish, actually some kind of lost masterpiece.

Posted by: phelge ()
Date: February 25, 2013 15:11

On the Beach

Posted by: detroitken ()
Date: February 25, 2013 15:18

keefriffhard4life
Silver Dagger

i support this post

agreed

Posted by: 2000man ()
Date: February 25, 2013 17:15

Next 2 for you:
After the Goldrush
On the Beach OR Tonight's the Night

Posted by: GRNRBITW ()
Date: February 25, 2013 17:23

tomcasagranda

I also have a sneaking admiration for Old Ways, Are You Passionate, Prairie Wind, and on The Beach.

okay - now you're just trying to be abnormal....

Posted by: uhbuhgullayew ()
Date: February 25, 2013 17:28

Reactor
Trans

>grinning smiley<

Posted by: nashville ()
Date: February 25, 2013 17:36

On The Beach
Zuma
After The Goldrush
Everybody Knows This is Nowwhere
Harvest

Andy

Date: February 25, 2013 17:40

GRNRBITW
tomcasagranda

No; I am not abnormal, but do find his country material excellent, be it Harvest, Comes A Time, Old Ways, Prairie Wind. I find Are You Passionate a much underrated, much maligned album, although it's head and shoulders above Trans, Landing On Water, and Life.

Posted by: GRNRBITW ()
Date: February 25, 2013 18:02

tomcasagranda
GRNRBITW
tomcasagranda

No; I am not abnormal, but do find his country material excellent, be it Harvest, Comes A Time, Old Ways, Prairie Wind. I find Are You Passionate a much underrated, much maligned album, although it's head and shoulders above Trans, Landing On Water, and Life.

Okay - but there's nothing wrong with being abnormal...it was a compliment.

Posted by: jjo ()
Date: February 25, 2013 18:09

Hi last "GREAT" album ...... Harvest Moon

Posted by: jjo ()
Date: February 25, 2013 18:11

Old ways is also fantastic

Posted by: runaway ()
Date: February 25, 2013 18:20

First you start with After the Goldrush and Harvest...

Posted by: redsock ()
Date: February 25, 2013 18:22

I've always had a soft spot for American Stars 'n Bars (1977).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-02-25 18:23 by redsock.

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: February 25, 2013 19:00

redsock
I've always had a soft spot for American Stars 'n Bars (1977).

Me too.

"Plant that bell and let it ring..."

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: February 25, 2013 19:01

After the goldrush

2 1 2 0

Posted by: Kirk ()
Date: February 25, 2013 19:32

detroitken
keefriffhard4life
Silver Dagger

i support this post

agreed

Me too! This one and in that order! I did it back in 1979-1980 and what do you know, Silver Dagger is confirming it 30 years later!!! God bless you Silver Dagger, you took me back to my vinyl records days.

Posted by: sundevil ()
Date: February 25, 2013 20:28

if you want to start out, get the movie RUST NEVER SLEEPS.

two of the three ditch trilogy, on the beach & tonight's the night.

Posted by: GumbootCloggeroo ()
Date: February 25, 2013 20:31

I know I'm in the minority but I enjoy the Geffen releases. Who cares if they don't sound like "Neil Young". I admire him for thinking outside the box.

Posted by: stewedandkeefed ()
Date: February 25, 2013 21:10

Of the records not already mentioned, Freedom from 1989 was a return to form after his horrible eighties decade.

Posted by: Rev. Robert W. ()
Date: February 25, 2013 21:15

Most underrated/neglected album in Neil's catalogue?

1996's Broken Arrow in which he and Crazy Horse stage a musical wake for their fallen producer/"fifth member of Crazy Horse" David Briggs. So soulful--it conjures perfectly the space and fog and light of the Northern California coast. One of the great hidden gems of rock 'n roll.

Rust Never Sleeps is exactly where I would tell somebody to start with Neil's work. Get Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere (1969) because it's the basis of the whole Crazy Horse legend; get Live at Massey Hall 1971 (2006) because it's the most focussed look at his singer-songwriter self. (The latter isn't really a substitute for Harvest (1972) or After the Gold Rush (1970), but it's a good first dip into that very, very famous part of his career.)

You need Tonight's The Night (1975). Ben Keith's pedal steel on "Albuquerque" is itself worth the price of the LP.

Another unheralded gem? The 1993 Unplugged album. It's got a nice, eerie feeling to it and a sensational collection of tunes. More Ben K. on dobro. Such a master...

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: February 25, 2013 21:22

Kirk
detroitken
keefriffhard4life
Silver Dagger

i support this post

agreed

Me too! This one and in that order! I did it back in 1979-1980 and what do you know, Silver Dagger is confirming it 30 years later!!! God bless you Silver Dagger, you took me back to my vinyl records days.

thumbs upthumbs upsmileys with beer

Date: February 26, 2013 00:05

Broken Arrow - Great album, apart from the worst ever cover of Baby What You Want Me to Do. It's so bad, it trumps the Stones' Mr Pitiful.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1924
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home