Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3
Re: OT - Best Neil Young Albums To Start Out With
Posted by: uhbuhgullayew ()
Date: March 7, 2013 01:24

Best Neil Young cover:

The Loner - Nils Sings Neil is a fantastic CD.

Nils Lofgren sounds better even than Neil on some of the tracks.

Nils Sings Neil

Posted by: ab ()
Date: March 7, 2013 01:30

A few have remarked that Zuma hasn't been receiving enough love in this thread. That may be because it hasn't been upgraded on CD since its original issue around 1990. I broke out my vinyl copy the other night; it sounded magnificent!

I'm eager to get my hands on Archives, Volume 2, when it's finally released. The period that it will cover (Time Fades Away through Rust) is his peak.

Posted by: kowalski ()
Date: March 7, 2013 03:35

uhbuhgullayew
Best Neil Young cover:

The Loner - Nils Sings Neil is a fantastic CD.

Nils Lofgren sounds better even than Neil on some of the tracks.

Nils Sings Neil

He's also on Crazy Horse's first album. You can hear him singing on Beggar's Day.

The long version of Like A Hurricane by Nils Lofgren (different from the album version, Nils Sings Neil)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-03-07 03:40 by kowalski.

Posted by: carlorossi ()
Date: March 7, 2013 06:30

Elmo Lewis
Decade is a great starting point - lots of the well known stuff going back to "Mr. Soul" days. Harvest would be next.

Then explore this deep well as you can afford to.

Decade was my starting point. An excellent overview with great liner notes by Neil. It will probably give you an idea of what you want to delve into. It only covers '66 to '76, but that's a good place to start.

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: March 7, 2013 07:06

Man, how cool would it be to NOT know all of Neil's music,
and be at the start of the adventure and just learning it?

Posted by: Koschi ()
Date: March 12, 2013 21:14

When I first read this thread I just knew 3 songs from Neil Young. So the adventure started for me right here a few weeks ago...

I have since listened to almost every album mentioned here and I am not finished yet.

I started with Decade...

Thanks to all of you

Date: March 13, 2013 07:06

Nneil's output is large..tough to pick a starting point i guess. depends what yer into

i've been a neil fan forever, and i get confused with it all

rust never sleeps - good start point because you get the loud neil and the soft acoustic neil and the songs are killer

i always like starting at the beginning, personally. neil did some stuff with the squires and mynah birds (not sure if any mynah birds stuff with super freak rick james on vocals is out there or not anywhere) and then buffalo springfield.

you may or not be innarested in that

'everybody knows this is nowhere' is important. some of it blows but some of it is essential in any collection and neils stuff with danny whitten slays

zuma
ragged glory, and for later neil ...
psychadelic pill
prarie wind

of course goldrush, harvest, on the beach and tonights the night..all esssential

decade is a darn good comp if you want to go that route

live rust is great too

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2013-03-13 07:09 by pinkfloydthebarber.

Date: March 28, 2013 03:16

Been listening to Living With War from 2006 quite a bit lately.

Good stuff.

www.wikipedia.com

Date: March 28, 2013 03:41

Living with War is really good. I prefer the "raw" version though - "Living with War In The Beginning" which has some later-added recordings removed.

Recording "After The Garden is Gone"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-03-28 03:43 by kowalski.

Date: March 28, 2013 04:12

kowalski
Living with War is really good. I prefer the "raw" version though - "Living with War In The Beginning" which has some later-added recordings removed.

Very cool, thanks for sharing & posting kowalski.

Posted by: stupidguy2 ()
Date: March 28, 2013 04:58

Silver Dagger
For the solo stuff start with After The Goldrush and Harvest. For the Crazy Horse/band albums start with Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere or Zuma. All are 5 star albums with not a turkey on them.

I'd start with After the Gold Rush and Harvest because that's where I discovered the beauty of his melodies, lyricism and soulfulness. He's famous for being some kind of 'grunge' forefather and all that, and my first introduction was Live Rust 'Hey, Hey...' in the summer of 1979 or 80...
But it was really the acoustic stuff that made me fall in love with the man's music. Those songs just break your heart.

Posted by: memphiscats ()
Date: March 28, 2013 06:04

Max'sKansasCity
Man, how cool would it be to NOT know all of Neil's music,
and be at the start of the adventure and just learning it?
So very cool, my friend.

Rock on & enjoy Neil. All are good suggestions. My starter Albums were After the Gold Rush & Harvest - but I was a kid who just recently moved to Toronto. Feeling Helpless, helpless, helpless...Neil was my guardian angel, and I was lucky enough to live across the street from his dad - used to caress his car - imagining my hero had touched the same frame. smoking smiley

Posted by: Glam Descendant ()
Date: March 28, 2013 07:43

ARC, The Single!

Date: March 28, 2013 13:26

uhbuhgullayew
kowalski

Very cool, thanks for sharing & posting kowalski.

Actually there's one "documentary" for each song of the album.

edit : the whole series is here : [www.neilyoung.com] (scroll down the page, it's on the right column)

A few more :

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-03-28 13:32 by kowalski.

Date: March 29, 2013 15:21

kowalski

edit : the whole series is here : [www.neilyoung.com] (scroll down the page, it's on the right column)

Really enjoy how Neil lets you in with these docs.

Many thanks for posting!

Date: March 29, 2013 15:29

uhbuhgullayew
kowalski

Really enjoy how Neil lets you in with these docs.

Many thanks for posting!

Agree. That's quite amazing actually. I don't think the Stones ever let a camera enter the studio like this...

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: April 24, 2013 15:29

Not wanting to start a new OT thread, thought I'd use this one to ask if anyone here had seen him recently? Still thinking I might try to catch him in June at Bercy in Paris.

Posted by: shakeydeal ()
Date: April 24, 2013 16:44

Yes, I caught two of the U.S. shows: Central Park - NYC and Voodoo Fest - NOLA.

Neil and The Horse are as mangy and great as ever.

That said, if you are not a Ragged Glory fan, this isn't the show for you. Just a couple of acoustic songs, the rest is mainly post-90s Crazy Horse material. That could change for Europe a bit, but you will still be smelling the horse.

If that's your thing, and I should hope it is, you need to go. It's maybe the last time that old beast circles the barn (The Horse, not Neil). I think Ralph recently turned 70.

Posted by: KentishMen ()
Date: April 26, 2013 00:04

I went over for the two Red Rocks shows back in August at the start of the 1st leg of the tour. I thought they were great and the fact they were all obviously enjoying it made it even better. They pretty much kept to the same set list for the remainder of the USA leg but played some tracks from Zuma and RE*AC*TOR in Australia and New Zealand. Going to 3 of the concerts back here in the UK in June and will be interesting to see if they mix up the set list again. Lot of people have been going to concerts expecting the slow acoustic stuff (which is great of course) but forgetting its a Neil Young and Crazy Horse tour! If you don't already know of it there is a great website for past and future tour dates including all past set lists: www.sugarmtn.org

Date: April 27, 2013 13:54

Thanks guys, I was all gung ho but then saw the begnning of the Red Rocks video where he didn't seem to be too concerned with the audience, but will look into it again!

Date: April 27, 2013 13:55

Thanks guys, I was all gung ho but then saw the beginning of the Red Rocks video where he didn't seem to be too concerned with the audience, but will look into it again!

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: April 27, 2013 14:43

Go to [www.rustradio.org] and push play for LIVE NEIL; ALL DAY/ALL NIGHT

As of this morning it is on 24/7 and is the coolest feature I have seen on the internet since... forever. Thanks to kowalski for pointing me to it.

Posted by: sanQ ()
Date: April 28, 2013 00:35

American Stars and Bars is a great record too! You really can't go wrong with any of his 70's albums since they're all great. Zuma, Tonight's The Night, Time Fades Away, Comes A Time in particular is a great, great record...i don't even pay attention to whether Crazy Horse is on it or not. If it's Neil Young, it's going to be great.

Date: April 28, 2013 01:52

I dont see "Freedom" mentioned. IMO one of his best albums.

Date: April 28, 2013 21:01

Very good book that elaborates on all of Neil's albums:

www.amazon.com

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1904
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home