Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 2 of 5
Re: Keith in the 70s - a decade of posing
Posted by: GravityBoy ()
Date: February 19, 2013 18:25

latebloomer
We had this wonderful thread a while back , so I guess one person's posing is another person's straddling.

[www.iorr.org]

Courtesy of withsssoul, here is a discription of Keith in action from Albert Goldman:

"Keith really is a kind of self-contained performer. His moves are invariably graceful, well struck,
and he makes sense of the body rhetoric that is the most classic, most fitting to a guitar rocker.
He's the discus thrower of rock. He's perfect."

He's a clown... Brian.

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: February 19, 2013 18:25

dis agree about the 70's

Posted by: GRNRBITW ()
Date: February 19, 2013 18:32

GravityBoy
Stoneage
One thing is puzzling me a bit is the fact that for many years Keith was held as the greatest rock gutarist ever. Even from people who were not necessarily Stones fans. He was called "the human riff".
When did that stop? When did it go from "greatest" to "can he play at all"?

In my opinion it stopped when he stopped creating great riffs.

From 1968 to 1972 he was intensely focused on guitar and it's sounds.

He would play trance-like for hours trying to get it right.

He was in the true realm of an artist.

The drugs helped.

Then the drugs stopped helping.

His "riffage" declined from 1972 onwards.. sure there were moments but I think he lost the determination.

How many ways can you play open G anyway?

I think that's the point. The well went dry. He stopped evolving as a musician and just fell into the trap of recycling earlier ideas. Hasn't really had a novel, notable new idea in about 3 decades. Give or take.

Date: February 19, 2013 18:34

TheGreek
dis agree about the 70's

Please pick a more agreeable decade, then....

Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: February 19, 2013 18:43

ANOTHER BRILLIANT quote from the past from Miss Soul!

Goldman's books on Elvis and Lennon turned my stomach.
But this one about Keith is spot-on, reminding me what a really fine writer Goldman was in the Sixties. His pieces and his perceptions were once great reading.

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: February 19, 2013 18:46

Yes, stonesrule, I believe Goldman words perfectly describe Keith's moves and the pictures from that thread are the proof. Also agree about withsssoul...this place would not be the same without her.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-02-19 18:47 by latebloomer.

Posted by: GravityBoy ()
Date: February 19, 2013 18:58

Date: February 19, 2013 19:08

GravityBoy

What chord is he playing here? I try that on my guitar and I get nothing. So frustrating.

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: February 19, 2013 19:10

This is posing:

Not this:

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: February 19, 2013 19:51

stonesrule
Through the years Keith had many, many enablers and a key group of people who truly cared about him and went through hell worried sick about him, including members of The Rolling Stones.

Yeah like the time (March 77) when BW went out buying heroin for him in Toronto while the streets were full of plain clothes cops dying to bust yet another Stones for drug trafficking.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: February 19, 2013 19:53

Munichhilton
This is posing:

F#ck he looks ridiculous in that outfit... confused smiley

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: February 19, 2013 19:57

dcba
Munichhilton
This is posing:

Cut him some slack. Cameramen don't usually dress up. He probably didn't know the picture was being taken.

Posted by: NoCode0680 ()
Date: February 19, 2013 19:58

dcba
Munichhilton
This is posing:

I think it's just dated. He dressed similarly on the B2B tour (I'm guessing this photo maybe comes from that tour), specifically on the PPV show. But on that one he had the duster draped over him like a cape, didn't even have his arms through it, which looked sillier. But it didn't seem ridiculous (at least to me) at the time, but looking back it's pretty funny. Compared to some of Jagger's outfits over the years, like his little football/wrestler uniforms in 81/82, it's pretty tame.

I just saw my yearbook picture from '98, and I looked pretty ridiculous. Time marches on, and we all look pretty ridiculous in hindsight.

Date: February 19, 2013 22:17

NoCode0680
dcba
Munichhilton
This is posing:

I think it's just dated. He dressed similarly on the B2B tour (I'm guessing this photo maybe comes from that tour), specifically on the PPV show. But on that one he had the duster draped over him like a cape, didn't even have his arms through it, which looked sillier. But it didn't seem ridiculous (at least to me) at the time, but looking back it's pretty funny. Compared to some of Jagger's outfits over the years, like his little football/wrestler uniforms in 81/82, it's pretty tame.

I just saw my yearbook picture from '98, and I looked pretty ridiculous. Time marches on, and we all look pretty ridiculous in hindsight.

All styles look dated, until they come back around. I actually think Keith looks cool in this photograph, but then I used to think wearing my hair like Farrah Fawcett was cool...

Posted by: ripthisjoint908 ()
Date: February 19, 2013 22:28

Or that one weird move he always does where he plays a chord, takes both hands off as if he's trying to pose like a chalk outline at a crime scene.

Had a good laugh at this one!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-02-19 22:29 by ripthisjoint908.

Date: February 19, 2013 22:28

latebloomer
NoCode0680
dcba
Munichhilton
This is posing:

All styles look dated, until they come back around. I actually think Keith looks cool in this photograph, but then I used to think wearing my hair like Farrah Fawcett was cool...

No Farrah bashing - or even implied bashing. I'm still peeved that MJ died the day she died and stole her thunder.

Date: February 19, 2013 22:35

GRNRBITW
latebloomer
NoCode0680
dcba
Munichhilton
This is posing:

No Farrah bashing - or even implied bashing. I'm still peeved that MJ died the day she died and stole her thunder.

I wouldn't dare bash Farrah, I suffered to get that hair...perms, tons of hairspray, awful haircuts...it looked good on her, I looked like a miniature lion.

Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: February 19, 2013 22:40

Stoneage
One thing puzzling me a bit is the fact that for many years Keith was held as the greatest rock guitarist ever. Even from people who were not necessarily Stones fans. He was called "the human riff".
When did that stop? When did it go from "greatest" to "can he play at all"?

[thepowergoats.com]

Posted by: Honestman ()
Date: February 19, 2013 22:44

noughties
The 70s - some music, but a lot of posing before his drug use took it`s toll; behind sunglasses, his undershot, , his son Marlon, his Jaguar, Anita, Gram Parsons, you know...

Some of us used to call that kind of behavior Rock'n'roll attitude, and most of some of us used to like itwinking smiley

HMN

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: February 19, 2013 22:53

The 70s - some music, but a lot of posing before his drug use took it`s toll; behind sunglasses, his undershot, , his son Marlon, his Jaguar, Anita, Gram Parsons, you know...

Yeah so you woulda loved him more if he'd went the way of say squinting...no children...Mini Moke...bachelor...hermit

ROCKMAN

Date: February 19, 2013 23:16

latebloomer
GRNRBITW
latebloomer
NoCode0680
dcba
Munichhilton
This is posing:

I wouldn't dare bash Farrah, I suffered to get that hair...perms, tons of hairspray, awful haircuts...it looked good on her, I looked like a miniature lion.

So, you're changing your tune now and admitting that IT WAS TOO cool to wear Farrah's hair? Good for you. It takes a mature person to admit a mistake.

Posted by: scottkeef ()
Date: February 19, 2013 23:19

Exitable boy they all said... ;-)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-02-19 23:19 by scottkeef.

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: February 19, 2013 23:23

78 tour - Keith was posing ??confused smiley

Posted by: noughties ()
Date: February 19, 2013 23:37

Honestman
noughties

Some of us used to call that kind of behavior Rock'n'roll attitude, and most of some of us used to like itwinking smiley

Yeah, that`s it. What creates the myth and the reason for fandom. What some people posess and some don`t. Oh, it`s and unfair world...

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: February 20, 2013 00:04

latebloomer
We had this wonderful thread a while back , so I guess one person's posing is another person's straddling.

[www.iorr.org]

Courtesy of withsssoul, here is a description of Keith in action from Albert Goldman:

"Keith really is a kind of self-contained performer. His moves are invariably graceful, well struck,
and he makes sense of the body rhetoric that is the most classic, most fitting to a guitar rocker.

Albert Goldman died in 1994...

Date: February 20, 2013 00:07

Redhotcarpet
latebloomer

[www.iorr.org]

Courtesy of withsssoul, here is a description of Keith in action from Albert Goldman:

Albert Goldman died in 1994...

So, he must have said this before 1994. The thread title is Keith in the 70s...

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: February 20, 2013 00:07

stonesrule

How come? Basically everything was true and noone sued. The only flaw about Lennon was a speculation about what may or may not have occured during one visit to Japan. Goldman made Lennon human.

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: February 20, 2013 00:38

GRNRBITW
GravityBoy

What chord is he playing here? I try that on my guitar and I get nothing. So frustrating.

B

Posted by: uhbuhgullayew ()
Date: February 20, 2013 00:43

dcba
Munichhilton
This is posing:

His clothes in the pic look like this:

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: February 20, 2013 00:49

Redhotcarpet
stonesrule

How come? Basically everything was true and noone sued. The only flaw about Lennon was a speculation about what may or may not have occured during one visit to Japan. Goldman made Lennon human.

If that's true, then how come I heard a radio interview at the time with Sean Lennon disputing everything Goldman wrote about Lennon's alleged harsh treatment toward Sean?

And why do we need someone like Goldman to "make" Lennon human? We have Lennon's music as proof of his humanity, and he dedicated his artistic expression to baring his soul and life in a way that no other popular artist had done before.

Who elected Albert Goldman as John Lennon's spokesperson, and why do we need a sub-human trolling hack writer to form opinions for us?

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 2 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1811
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home