Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
1993 Mick interview in MUSICIAN MAGAZINE
Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: March 2, 2013 21:50

Not a bad read:

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-03-03 18:58 by Title5Take1.

Re: 1993 Mick interview in MUSICIAN MAGAZINE
Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: March 2, 2013 23:14

Thanks much Title5Take1, really nice to read. Thank your neighbor for me too. smiling smiley

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: March 3, 2013 00:24

very interesting article, thanks!

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: March 3, 2013 00:40

Yeah great article, thanks gor scanning it. I have another good one from that period (thought it was Musician but it seems not) where he speaks about that psychedelic track he had and didnt use...can't have been "Charmed Life" surely! Will go out digging for it soon.

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: March 3, 2013 00:53

The magazine's summation of Jagger at the top of the article, before the interview begins, is very key to defining the continuation of Jagger's mystique.

Those first 2 paragraphs about the way he contradicts people, to keep them from pinning him down. This is why, to this day, biographies have failed to reveal the real Jagger. This is also why he will not release an autobiography. If he discloses everything, there would be nothing left to contradict. Part of his fame is the way he remains elusive. It's up to fans to project their own thoughts onto images of Mick Jagger, thereby his mystique is continually and perpetually renewed.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: March 3, 2013 01:57

At least he was coherent and thoughtful concerning the Wyman departure. He wanted to say more, but at least he seems like he understood Wyman's role and how it could be difficult to replace someone who'd been in the Stones rhythm section that long. What Mick couldn't foresee is that they would permanently replace Bill with one person, and that it would not result in a 'more kicking rhythm section'.

Posted by: peoplewitheyes ()
Date: March 3, 2013 04:48

Mick wrote the riff to Brown Sugar? is this for real? i've never heard that before...

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: March 3, 2013 07:35

is this for real? i've never heard that before...

Yep wrote it in the Aussie bush in between filming Ned Kelly ...

ROCKMAN

Posted by: peoplewitheyes ()
Date: March 3, 2013 17:33

god bless you Australia!

Date: March 3, 2013 22:03

MICK: "I wrote Brown Sugar in Australia in the middle of a field. They were really odd circumstances. I was doing this movie, Ned Kelly, and my hand had got really damaged in this action sequence. So stupid. I was trying to rehabilitate my hand and I had this new kind of electric guitar, and I was playing in the middle of the outback and wrote this tune."

So Mick's actually been in "rehab," so to speak....

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: March 3, 2013 22:18

So where did Midnight Oil write Warakurna?

That's a classic too. I love that song

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: March 3, 2013 22:28

Mick wrote brown sugar, but did he come up with the actual riff? This has been posted on here before, I hear the chord sequence but not the riff:

Date: March 3, 2013 22:30

Munichhilton

Edith Grove?

Date: March 3, 2013 22:30

.......probably while touring there and man it sure is out-back ...

ROCKMAN

Date: March 3, 2013 22:33

Rockman

.......probably while touring there and man it sure is out-back ...

Fantastic...I wanna see Warakurna...I think.

Rockman do I wanna see Warakurna or just hear about it?

Date: March 3, 2013 22:35

aboriginal town in WA ... lotta heat and red dirt .... wide open spaces

ROCKMAN

Date: March 3, 2013 22:54

Rockman

aboriginal town in WA ... lotta heat and red dirt .... wide open spaces

Many thanks
I'll bring the beer...Shiner I guess

Posted by: elunsi ()
Date: March 3, 2013 23:13

ryanpow
Mick wrote brown sugar, but did he come up with the actual riff? This has been posted on here before, I hear the chord sequence but not the riff:

"I´ve written riffs that people assume are Keith´s. That was the first one I did. I´ve done many since." Mick Jagger 1994
[www.timeisonourside.com]

Date: March 3, 2013 23:52

elunsi
ryanpow

"I´ve written riffs that people assume are Keith´s. That was the first one I did. I´ve done many since." Mick Jagger 1994

I don't hear it there. Do you?

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: March 4, 2013 00:02

elunsi

That's not surprising that he would eventually write in a 'Keith Style'. When Keith played bass on JJF, or Mick Taylor did on Tumbling Dice (although there's confusion about that one), they did it in a 'Wyman Style'. That's why it was more difficult to replace Bill than they realized. Bill's 'style' of bass playing is as much a part of the Stones foundation sound as Keith's rhythm riffs. I would say that Charlie's drums on Doom & Gloom were, for the first time I can remember, not Charlie 'Stones' drums. And the guitar was definitely a ZZ Top knockoff. Although the song is good, I would say they only real 'Stones' thing about it is Mick's vocals.

Date: March 4, 2013 01:58

Munichhilton

Where did REM write Cuyahoga? That is also a classic!

Date: March 4, 2013 02:34

treaclefingers
Munichhilton

Reno?

Date: March 4, 2013 03:14

ryanpow
treaclefingers
Munichhilton

Reno?

coulda been!

Date: March 4, 2013 03:21

treaclefingers
Munichhilton

Sorry...much like your RUSH (thank you) I have a few favorites from the past...

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: March 4, 2013 08:40

24FPS
elunsi

That's not surprising that he would eventually write in a 'Keith Style'. When Keith played bass on JJF, or Mick Taylor did on Tumbling Dice (although there's confusion about that one), they did it in a 'Wyman Style'. That's why it was more difficult to replace Bill than they realized. Bill's 'style' of bass playing is as much a part of the Stones foundation sound as Keith's rhythm riffs. I would say that Charlie's drums on Doom & Gloom were, for the first time I can remember, not Charlie 'Stones' drums. And the guitar was definitely a ZZ Top knockoff. Although the song is good, I would say they only real 'Stones' thing about it is Mick's vocals.

You nailed it about D&G. Other than Jagger's voice, it sounds nothing like the Stones.

Date: March 4, 2013 09:08

Munichhilton
treaclefingers
Munichhilton

I saw Midnight Oil in Vancouver in 1988 in a gorgeous 3000 seat theatre called 'the Orpheum'. Great show.

Date: March 4, 2013 09:29

71Tele
24FPS
elunsi

You nailed it about D&G. Other than Jagger's voice, it sounds nothing like the Stones.

I love DOOM AND GLOOM. I can't stand ZZ Top. I love the Black Keys. Mick said he'd been listening to the Black Keys a lot. Believable since they played with the Stones in Newark. I think the Black Keys were the biggest influence on DOOM AND GLOOM, particularly LONELY BOY.

(Does LOVE COMES AT THE SPEED OF LIGHT sound like the Stones? I love it, too.)

I guess I really don't like ZZ Top, and I'm don't want a phenomenon to happen like: When you see a really beautiful woman. And then you meet one of her parents, who is suprisingly unattracitve. But you now can see some similarities between the parent and the beautiful woman, and suddenly the beautiful woman isn't quite so beautiful, because now you're thinking of the ugly parent. I don't want to be thinking of ZZ Top when Ilisten to DOOM AND GLOOM. Oh, God, no....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-03-04 09:49 by Title5Take1.

Posted by: howled ()
Date: March 4, 2013 09:48

ryanpow
elunsi
ryanpow

I don't hear it there. Do you?

I don't know what riff you are talking about but the very start opening intro pre riff might be a Keith intro add-on, on the recorded version.

Some people, especially non guitar players might not be able to hear or understand what I'm trying to explain, which is fair enough.

Guitar players can easily check what I'm saying by watching Mick's fingers and also by playing along with Mick in the Ike and Tina Turner clip.

The main Brown Sugar riff is in the Mick, Ike and Tina Turner video (open G tuning Eb,C,Ab,Bb,C hope I got the key right) but Mick varies it a bit with 2 Eb,C changes instead of one (Eb,C,Eb,C,Ab,Bb,C) but the next time through the riff, it's the usual Eb,C,Ab,Bb,C.

Mick is playing the riff in a shorter beat way, a more hurried way, that's all.

It's still the Brown Sugar main riff that leads into the verse.

The Stones arrange things in a final way as the song get's recorded or is ready to record.

It's only a casual showing of the song to Ike and Tina but the opening riff, verse (get's changed a bit) and chorus are all there.

Mick also changed the verse to Gold Coast etc etc later on (maybe in the studio) as often happens with Stones songs as they get polished for the final recording.

Mick wrote the riff and the whole song, even Keith says so in his book.

Edited 10 time(s). Last edit at 2013-03-09 06:59 by howled.

Date: March 4, 2013 16:29

treaclefingers
Munichhilton
treaclefingers
Munichhilton

I saw Midnight Oil in Vancouver in 1988 in a gorgeous 3000 seat theatre called 'the Orpheum'. Great show.

Great year to see them if you ask me...

Date: March 4, 2013 18:11

Munichhilton
treaclefingers
Munichhilton
treaclefingers
Munichhilton

Great year to see them if you ask me...

I really liked them, bought the follow-up album with Blue Sky Mine on it, and then never heard from them ever again. The lead singer, Pete Garrett I think I heard was a lawyer and got elected to the Australian Parliament or something. That was over 20 years ago I think.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1700
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home