Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
OT - Robert Plant hints (if you don't like Zeppelin, please STAY OUT of thread)
Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: February 18, 2013 22:42

On Australia's version of '60 Minutes', Plant, for the first time ever, hints on actually reforming with Zeppelin. Toungue-in-cheek, might not happen. But still, it is cause for speculation. He holds the cards as he's been the hold-out. Either way, this is a GREAT interview, and it's great to see that Robert Plant is still Robert Plant!

[thepowergoats.com]

Re: OT - Robert Plant hints (if you don't like Zeppelin, please STAY OUT of thread)
Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: February 18, 2013 22:47

He'd be wise to stay the course. Celebration Day was beyond good...great even. They can't top it and likely wouldn't come close to equaling it night after night.

Leave it as their legacy in tact.

Re: OT - Robert Plant hints (if you don't like Zeppelin, please STAY OUT of thread)
Posted by: DoomandGloom ()
Date: February 18, 2013 23:03

Love Zep. Plant pisses me off.

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: February 18, 2013 23:15

I was hoping for that second album with Alison Krauss to fall flat so that Plant would come running back to the only other vehicle at this point that would bring him any notoriety.

So now Celebration Day 2007 is the new reason why Led Zep should not reform so as not to damage their undiminished legacy? CD 2007 is the new benchmark for greatness? People wouldn't have said that if a reunion were being discussed post-Live Aid, which was, by all accounts, abysmal.

I say, go for it! The fact is Robert Plant and Jimmy Page are still a great creative team and I hope they go all out with a new album and tour.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: February 18, 2013 23:40

They'd better hurry cos beyond a certain age (60? 65?) each year that passes severely damages your health and ability to do things.

Posted by: Tate ()
Date: February 19, 2013 00:03

I love what Plant has done over the past decade. I'm not interested in another LZ reunion unless he, Page and Jones can be creative in a studio. I also would like them to use a different drummer than Jason. It was a fun tribute for the O2 show, but he's just not a great drummer, and I think the three of them would do better with their amazing talents and creativity if they were not particularly trying to sound like anything. Make a great rock album, or a folk album, or country or middle eastern or celtic or whatever, but don't keep trying to make Whole Lotta Love. I think that is what did in the whole Walking Into Clarksdale album... I think they tried too hard to be great. Just make us a lovely album. Then go on tour and rake in the millions! Nice segment, James, thanks for posting.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-02-19 00:04 by Tate.

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: February 19, 2013 00:35

Munichhilton
He'd be wise to stay the course. Celebration Day was beyond good...great even. They can't top it and likely wouldn't come close to equaling it night after night.

Absolutely correct. 6 years ago, I was PISSED they didn't get back together and do some US shows. I HATED Robert Plant and I couldn't possibly understand why they wouldn't. After years, I've come to acceptance and I actually completely agree with Robert. Watch Celebration Day and you'll see its outstanding. But thats Robert Plant acting like he did over 30 years ago, and he honestly and understandably doesn't want to do that. He was the MVP of the reunion concert IMO, but thats really hard for him to go back like that.

Watching the show 6 years later, I literally can't believe he actually went along with it. Its hardest on him and requires the most work to actually sing that stuff. Its such a difference from what he's doing now and what men at his age are supposed to be doing that, again, it blows my mind the reunion actually happened. And the fact that it turned out as good as it did is just further proof they should leave it at that. They could play one show in NY, and I'm sure it would be great, but watch Celebration Day and its the perfect closing to their career.

Saying this means I'll never get to see Led Zeppelin, and it kills me, but I genuinely believe its the right decision. I don't want to watch it if he's not gonna be completely into it, and Ahmetts death finally gave him that one last urge to do it one more time. It was perfect, no need to continue. Again, 6 years ago Robert sounded like a total a-hole for not touring with them. Now, I completely understand where he's coming from and agree its best to leave it this way. In the end, he was absolutely right when I thought he was being an @#$%&. The fact that Page and Jones couldn't accept that 6 years ago is honestly kind of rude. Clearly Plant had his reasons and Jimmy kept saying "it still could happen!" Robert had to work the hardest at that reunion concert and he pulled it off brilliantly one last time for the fans. Go do whatever the hell you want, you deserve it Plant.

Sorry to write so much. Just every now and then this possibility comes up on, and I think when looking at it rationally, Plant was 100% correct in not wanting to continue, and I think looking at it now, many will agree.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: February 19, 2013 00:35

All these damn Led Zeppelin threads! ENOUGH ALREADY!!

Just kidding, love Zep, especially Plant.

Not sure either I'd want them to get back together. I'd like to see an album of new material first, before a tour...let's see what they still got.

Posted by: Denny ()
Date: February 19, 2013 00:45

As Tate says, his recent musical excursions are what Robert Plant truly wants to pursue, and very good they've been, too. I think he has been right all along in not pushing for a reunion. And I agree with RollingFreak in that the one-off concert was a fine ending. Things would wind up being disappointing if "Zep" went out and did a proper tour, at their age.

I think the Page & Plant years in the '90's succeeded in those two coming up with something genuinely creative again, and giving fans an experience in the live setting. Plant has since moved on to his own creative zone, rather than try and recreate the past. And good on him - he's a huge music fan (read comments by Primal Scream on his involvement with them on their upcoming album), a lover of nature, an awesomely balanced 65-year old just enjoying his life, both within and outside of music. That's his "perfect ending", and fans "demanding" a reunion may do well to adopt his admirable outlook themselves!

Date: February 19, 2013 00:54

Denny
That's his "perfect ending", and fans "demanding" a reunion may do well to adopt his admirable outlook themselves!
Perfectly said. I hate to be the one not hoping for a Zep reunion, because obviously I do and it would be the top concert I wish to see in my lifetime. But Robert is so stable and happy now, and you can see in their reunion concert that Robert being in Led Zeppelin is so many lives ago for him.

What I loved was after seeing the movie, my girlfriend turned to me and said "he could have cooled it with all the butt grabs and posing." And I was like "But thats who Robert Plant was! And thats why he doesn't want to go out on tour with them! Because what would have been sexy to you 30 years ago just is sad and old now." I liked seeing it one night, because its seeing that old Robert Plant I love (as a straight heterosexual man). But I agree its just such a different person for him now than it used to be, whereas Page and Jones just have to play their instruments which they can and is much easier for them.

Led Zep is one of the few bands to actually end when they did, knowing it wouldn't be the same without Bonham. The Who couldn't stop, the Stones can't stop. Not saying they are wrong. Its just that Zep is one of the few bands to actually end it right, and its very admirable when you look at it that way.

Having said all that, I do think the interview is very good so thanks for posting. And he does make it more than alittle obvious that Zep could reunite in 2014, so there might be hope yet. He does awfully make it sound like its a realistic possibility, but who really knows. It would coincide perfectly with those remasters Jimmy Page said he wanted to do. Also, in response to someone who said if they tour it should be without Jason, I completely disagree. I think he's the perfect choice, and Celebration Day proves he can do it right.

Date: February 19, 2013 01:00

Tate
I love what Plant has done over the past decade. I'm not interested in another LZ reunion unless he, Page and Jones can be creative in a studio. I also would like them to use a different drummer than Jason. It was a fun tribute for the O2 show, but he's just not a great drummer, and I think the three of them would do better with their amazing talents and creativity if they were not particularly trying to sound like anything. Make a great rock album, or a folk album, or country or middle eastern or celtic or whatever, but don't keep trying to make Whole Lotta Love. I think that is what did in the whole Walking Into Clarksdale album... I think they tried too hard to be great. Just make us a lovely album. Then go on tour and rake in the millions! Nice segment, James, thanks for posting.

You're welcome. I would be happy if we simply had a tour, we certainly don't need another Walking to Clarksesdale. That one left me perplexed. lol! It would be a miracle and a dream come true if they did put out an album like you describe. Just as it would be for The Stones (but that's off-topic here tongue sticking out smiley )Who would you suggest as a drummer? (I'm okay with Jason, he's true enough to what has been before, and if they tour certainly there to hear Robet, Jimmy and John Paul).

[thepowergoats.com]

Date: February 19, 2013 01:05

RollingFreak
Munichhilton

Absolutely correct. 6 years ago, I was PISSED they didn't get back together and do some US shows. I HATED Robert Plant and I couldn't possibly understand why they wouldn't. After years, I've come to acceptance and I actually completely agree with Robert. Watch Celebration Day and you'll see its outstanding. But thats Robert Plant acting like he did over 30 years ago, and he honestly and understandably doesn't want to do that. He was the MVP of the reunion concert IMO, but thats really hard for him to go back like that.

Watching the show 6 years later, I literally can't believe he actually went along with it. Its hardest on him and requires the most work to actually sing that stuff. Its such a difference from what he's doing now and what men at his age are supposed to be doing that, again, it blows my mind the reunion actually happened. And the fact that it turned out as good as it did is just further proof they should leave it at that. They could play one show in NY, and I'm sure it would be great, but watch Celebration Day and its the perfect closing to their career.

Saying this means I'll never get to see Led Zeppelin, and it kills me, but I genuinely believe its the right decision. I don't want to watch it if he's not gonna be completely into it, and Ahmetts death finally gave him that one last urge to do it one more time. It was perfect, no need to continue. Again, 6 years ago Robert sounded like a total a-hole for not touring with them. Now, I completely understand where he's coming from and agree its best to leave it this way. In the end, he was absolutely right when I thought he was being an @#$%&. The fact that Page and Jones couldn't accept that 6 years ago is honestly kind of rude. Clearly Plant had his reasons and Jimmy kept saying "it still could happen!" Robert had to work the hardest at that reunion concert and he pulled it off brilliantly one last time for the fans. Go do whatever the hell you want, you deserve it Plant.

Sorry to write so much. Just every now and then this possibility comes up on, and I think when looking at it rationally, Plant was 100% correct in not wanting to continue, and I think looking at it now, many will agree.

I know... I know... I KNOW.

As a fan of Robert's solo stuff (Shaken and Stirred the only one I don't love) I know exactly where you're coming from. Reading your post I was nodding the whole time.

BUT...

You know that however you feel about it now, if an announcement was made, you know full well that you'd do anything to try to get tickets too!
smiling smiley

[thepowergoats.com]

Posted by: shadooby ()
Date: February 19, 2013 01:07

Tate

Jason IS a great drummer...he's just not his dad. He fills in better than anyone else possibly could in my opinion.

Date: February 19, 2013 02:26

jamesfdouglas
BUT...

You know that however you feel about it now, if an announcement was made, you know full well that you'd do anything to try to get tickets too!
smiling smiley
Oh I'd be the first in f'in line!>grinning smiley< Don't take my long rambling post as "I don't want Led Zeppelin to reunite" but more as a "I completely see where ROBERT is coming from not wanting to, and I actually really respect him for it and possibly agree its for the best, even though it means I'll never see them."

But yeah, you give me the announcement and I'll be the first one on line at MSG.

Posted by: noughties ()
Date: February 19, 2013 03:20

Plant is too fond of world music to my taste. He should stick to the heavy blues of the first four Zep albums.

Posted by: Tate ()
Date: February 19, 2013 03:25

I'm not sure who would be the most appropriate drummer... I might have mispoken saying Jason isn't that great. He did a fine job at the O2, but no, he is not as brilliant as his father. I liked the drums in the UnLedded album, whoever that was... Maybe they wouldn't have to settle for just one person. They could choose who they want for specific songs. Even if it was just percussion. It could be anyone, really, just not anyone trying specifically to play like John Bonham, because basically, no one can. That would be my personal preference! Maybe they could assemble an all star cast of guest drummers! That would be fun.

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: February 19, 2013 03:28

noughties
Plant is too fond of world music to my taste. He should stick to the heavy blues of the first four Zep albums.

But that's less than two albums total of heavy blues, because albums 3 and 4 were heavily acoustic, and the first album had its acoustic moments as well. Jimmy Page is fond of other sounds and styles as well, as he was heavily influenced by Bert Jansch [Black Mountain Side from LZI]. On the fifth album D'Yer Maker was venturing into world music [reggae]. That's the main appeal of Led Zeppelin--they could mix it up, hard and soft, light and shade, blues and folk, reggae and funk/dance.

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: February 19, 2013 03:40

jamesfdouglas
RollingFreak
Munichhilton

I know... I know... I KNOW.

As a fan of Robert's solo stuff (Shaken and Stirred the only one I don't love) I know exactly where you're coming from. Reading your post I was nodding the whole time.

BUT...

smiling smiley

Hang on. Lets talk ticket price. I know they are gonna struggle with the songs.
Do I get a discount per struggle?

Posted by: noughties ()
Date: February 19, 2013 03:41

stonehearted
noughties

But that's less than two albums total of heavy blues, because albums 3 and 4 were heavily acoustic, and the first album had its acoustic moments as well. Jimmy Page is fond of other sounds and styles as well, as he was heavily influenced by Bert Jansch [Black Mountain Side from LZI]. On the fifth album D'Yer Maker was venturing into world music [reggae]. That's the main appeal of Led Zeppelin--they could mix it up, hard and soft, light and shade, blues and folk, reggae and funk/dance.

You`re right. The acoustic stuff is fine too, but I remember getting disappointed by the reggae and funk/dance introduced on their fifth album and further on.

Posted by: 2000 LYFH ()
Date: February 19, 2013 05:25

Tate
I'm not sure who would be the most appropriate drummer... I might have mispoken saying Jason isn't that great. He did a fine job at the O2, but no, he is not as brilliant as his father. I liked the drums in the UnLedded album, whoever that was... Maybe they wouldn't have to settle for just one person. They could choose who they want for specific songs. Even if it was just percussion. It could be anyone, really, just not anyone trying specifically to play like John Bonham, because basically, no one can. That would be my personal preference! Maybe they could assemble an all star cast of guest drummers! That would be fun.

Maybe Phil Collins is available?

Date: February 19, 2013 05:45

Dave Grohl would love to do it, and they are very good friends and love him so he's the only other one I would picture doing it. But doesn't matter because they loved Jason doing it. They would say around and after the show that he was the glue that held it all together. I don't think the 3 of them would want to do it without Jason, and Jason would absolutely 100% do it again. Jason isn't the most qualified, but they really like him and he's family so it works. It helps that he was also really really good at the reunion show. Kept his profile low, knowing its not about him, but played the parts very well. It'll be Jason or no one. Look back at how much they loved Jason.

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: February 19, 2013 08:43

I think they could pull it off and it would be huge. To hell with preserving a legacy. If this were the best way The Stones should have also ended by 1980. I'm very happy they didn't because I've enjoyed the ride since. There best will always remain great in my opinion regardless the mistakes or lack luster performances in old age. Bring it on, I want to see Led Zeppelin.

Date: February 19, 2013 12:01

I am very impressed with Plant's solo career. He has kept moving. He stayed 'the Rover'. I have been pretty surprised at how stagnant Page got to be. had he kept moving and exploring new music I think a Zep reunion would be easier, and make sense. maybe Plant would feel the kindred spirit of Page in the present, not just hAVe past glories to stand on.
I actually liked the "Clarksdale" project. That showed promise.
IAW with tate on everything he said in post. Should LZ do some more, please go with someone else on drums.

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: February 19, 2013 12:09

Probably the best interview of Plant I have seen. The Sensational Space Shifters? What a name for a band. Makes me want to get on the plane to Oz and check him out! I did not like Plant's solo stuff in the 80s. As he said, cheese. Pretty horrid. But then he did Unleaded with Page and got a whole new life. His solo output since has been stellar. Mighty Rearranger is fantastic stuff. As is Band of Joy and Deamland. His version of Darkness Darkness is sublime. Great stuff. Thanks for posting.

Posted by: owlbynite ()
Date: February 19, 2013 12:22

Just a couple months back, listened to the remaining three interview on the Dave Letterman Show in New York after they were honored with some lifetime achievement awards at the Kennedy Center. Letterman asked them about reuniting for a tour and was met with a cool, noncommital reception.

Date: February 19, 2013 12:30

2000 LYFH
Tate

Maybe Phil Collins is available?

grinning smiley He did well the last time... NOT! grinning smiley

Date: February 19, 2013 13:14

My god no more Phil Collins. The man retired and please for all our ear's sake let him remain retired! The guy is total cheese whiz.

Posted by: Father Ted ()
Date: February 19, 2013 13:26

As someone who was a child during the zep years, my reading is that they were cut short by Bonham's sudden death and the band went out prematurely on a depressed low. I agree that they have a majestic studio legacy, that's not in doubt. However, given that LZ have not toured since 1980, I'm not fearful of any "legacy" being damaged by a new tour.

One challenge for any reformed LZ is that they, as a band, have not produced any new material for over 30 years. A Zep greatest hits tour would undoubtedly sell out. But is there an expectation from fans of a few new tracks or would you be happy just to hear a replay of the O2 show?

Date: February 19, 2013 13:44

I would be more than happy to just see and hear them perform from their legacy. I don't need new Zeppelin. But if they offered it, I would listen.

Posted by: pgarof ()
Date: February 19, 2013 14:17

Maybe they will reform or maybe not whatever they do is up to Plant but he has said in the past that he wants to do new stuff and not try to recreate the old with Zep.

Well i noticed in the interview he had a new band The Space Shifters, i did a search and found they were playing some Zepplin numbers, Why? they sound terrible, thought he didn't want to play that anymore. If he wants to play them they why not with Zepplin?

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1215
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home