Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: I know it's a Stones forum - but name 5 Dylan albums you can't live without:
Posted by: GRNRBITW ()
Date: February 18, 2013 01:34

BluzDude
I can't name one that I can't live without

Knocked Out Loaded. There...now you have one. Oooh! And, Down in the Groove...you are so lucky today!

Re: I know it's a Stones forum - but name 5 Dylan albums you can't live without:
Posted by: adotulipson ()
Date: February 18, 2013 01:36

well this is a quandry only 5

Blonde on Blonde is my joint favourite all time album with Let it Bleed.
Oh Mercy
Albert Hall
Highway 61
Desire

I also love one complilation More Bob Dylans Greatest Hits I've had it on vinyl for forever cos I can't remember when it came out and had it on CD for at least 20 years,if i remember well I bought it cos ay the time there were track on it that were not on album ,and its still one of my most played.
I obviously have all the others but choosing between then is not easy so i went for the above to comply with the thread title.

Date: February 18, 2013 01:43

adotulipson
well this is a quandry only 5

Blonde on Blonde is my joint favourite all time album with Let it Bleed.
Oh Mercy
Albert Hall
Highway 61
Desire

I also love one complilation More Bob Dylans Greatest Hits I've had it on vinyl for forever cos I can't remember when it came out and had it on CD for at least 20 years,if i remember well I bought it cos ay the time there were track on it that were not on album ,and its still one of my most played.
I

I Want You. honestly.

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: February 18, 2013 05:37

GRNRBITW
BluzDude

Knocked Out Loaded. There...now you have one. Oooh! And, Down in the Groove...you are so lucky today!
Those along with every other Dylan album

Date: February 18, 2013 06:43

As long as I can listen to him do "I Don't Believe You (She Acts..)" from the Last Waltz, I can take any 5 of his albums.

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: February 18, 2013 07:34

stewedandkeefed
Love And Theft
Blood On The Tracks
Time Out Of Mind
Remixed Street Legal
Blonde On Blonde

I'd change Love & Theft with Highway 61 Revisited, apart from that; my list would look the same as yours

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: February 18, 2013 07:56

Good to see you back Erik! I new Dylan would get you going!

Posted by: mikeeder ()
Date: February 18, 2013 11:25

I like the three from 1965-66 best. I also like Nashville Skyline and New Morning quite a bit. Those would be the five but the 1974-76 period is great, and his songwriting and music since Time Out Of Mind has been overall impressive. After 1976 though I don't like his voice much, but I actually do think it was really cool up to 1977.

Posted by: HerMajestyBrenda ()
Date: February 18, 2013 11:33

Highway 61
Blonde On Blonde
Blood On The Tracks
Time Out Of Mind
Tempest

(There are lots more I can't live without, but you said 5 ...)

Posted by: Meise ()
Date: February 18, 2013 12:11

Blood On The Tracks
Desire
Highway 61 Rev.
Bringing It All Back Home
Time Out Of Mind

Posted by: njlstones815 ()
Date: February 18, 2013 12:37

I can and do Live very well without ANY Dylan music!!

Posted by: nashville ()
Date: February 18, 2013 12:38

Blood on the Tracks
Highway 61 revisited
Bringing it all back home
Freewheelin'
Slow Train Running

Andy

Posted by: Floorbird ()
Date: February 18, 2013 12:48

John Wesley Harding
Oh Mercy
Bringing it all Back Home
Hwy 61
Blood on the Tracks.

Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: February 18, 2013 14:00

Really difficult to get it down to 5 albums!

One thing I know for sure is that "Like a Rolling Stone" still blows my mind.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: February 18, 2013 16:59

GRNRBITW
tomcasagranda
1. John Wesley Harding
2. Blood On The Tracks
3. Modern Times
4. Highway 61 Revisited
5. Slow Train Coming

One of these things is not like the others. No, one of these things just doesn't belong. Can you guess which thing is not like the others, before I finish my song?

John Wesley Harding because it's the name of a person? Or Blood on the Tracks because it's the only album with blood on it.

Those are my two choices.

Date: February 18, 2013 17:03

treaclefingers
GRNRBITW
tomcasagranda
1. John Wesley Harding
2. Blood On The Tracks
3. Modern Times
4. Highway 61 Revisited
5. Slow Train Coming

One of these things is not like the others. No, one of these things just doesn't belong. Can you guess which thing is not like the others, before I finish my song?

John Wesley Harding because it's the name of a person? Or Blood on the Tracks because it's the only album with blood on it.

His name was actually Hardin.

Why not Modern Times because it's the only one named after a movie?

Date: February 18, 2013 17:07

GRNRBITW
treaclefingers
GRNRBITW
tomcasagranda
1. John Wesley Harding
2. Blood On The Tracks
3. Modern Times
4. Highway 61 Revisited
5. Slow Train Coming

I was going with Slow Train Coming because it's the only album about transportation arousal.

Date: February 18, 2013 17:09

treaclefingers
GRNRBITW
treaclefingers
GRNRBITW
tomcasagranda
1. John Wesley Harding
2. Blood On The Tracks
3. Modern Times
4. Highway 61 Revisited
5. Slow Train Coming

I was going with Slow Train Coming because it's the only album about transportation arousal.

I guess that leaves us with no choice other than to pick Highway 61 Revisited because it's the only one with numbers....oh, wait...they all have several numbers. Maybe Big Bird can help us.

Posted by: ab ()
Date: February 18, 2013 17:11

GRNRBITW
BluzDude

Not to mention Dylan and the Dead, Self-Portrait, and Dylan. At least Knocked Out Loaded had Brownsville Girl.

Over the course of 50 years, Bob has made some of the best albums ever made by anyone and some real stinkers.

Date: February 18, 2013 17:16

ab
GRNRBITW
BluzDude

Not to mention Dylan and the Dead, Self-Portrait, and Dylan. At least Knocked Out Loaded had Brownsville Girl.

Over the course of 50 years, Bob has made some of the best albums ever made by anyone and some real stinkers.

Dylan and the Dead is not only Bob's worst live album, it's the Dead's worst, too. Some of the shows were decent enough, but it's like they went out of their way to pick some of the worst performances.

Self-Portrait? "Well, it was an interesting effort." (Loudon Wainwright III)

Date: February 18, 2013 20:59

GRNRBITW
treaclefingers
GRNRBITW
treaclefingers
GRNRBITW
tomcasagranda
1. John Wesley Harding
2. Blood On The Tracks
3. Modern Times
4. Highway 61 Revisited
5. Slow Train Coming

I guess that leaves us with no choice other than to pick Highway 61 Revisited because it's the only one with numbers....oh, wait...they all have several numbers. Maybe Big Bird can help us.

BINGO!!!

Got it!

'The sun ain't yellow it's chicken'...it HAS to therefore be Highway 61 Revisited!

Posted by: GetYerAngie ()
Date: February 18, 2013 22:16

I find it difficult to mention five Dylan album I couldn't live without. But one stands out: Desire. To me that is his only true masterpiece. And I like Blood on the tracks and Time out of mind too, though they are not flawless, and Pat Garrett and Billy the Kid and Nashville Skyline could be added. But I think he is very uneven and I do not understand the enormous admiration for his oevre in total - especially the disappointing output since Time out of mind. I find Blonde on blonde severly overrated too - the production is sloppy. A problem that in fact marrs most of his albums. When other artists cover Stones-songs they never manage to top the originals, that is not the case when it comes to Dylan-covers - take All along the watchtower as one example...

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: February 18, 2013 22:20

1. Blood On The Tracks
2. Blonde On Blonde
3. Bringing It All Back Home
4. Freewheelin' Bob Dylan
5. Nashville Skyline

and every other goddamn one.

Date: February 18, 2013 22:37

can you imagine having been a session musician on "Self Portrait"? It would be so confusing; like "do you want me to play 'good', Bob?" "Am I in on the joke too? Or do I play my best, and only you get to make the joke, and I come off looking like a chump?"

All his "bad" albums from early 70's, I can';t find that much fault with because they all come off as totally intentional. They are bad because he chose them to be bad. Maybe "Dylan" is out of his reach because it is outtakes from "Self Portrait" and he did not even want it released.
The late 80's albums though are pretty lousy. He just didn't seem to care; right before he started back up with "Time out of Mind" (and maybe "World Gone Wrong")

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: February 18, 2013 22:43

Palace Revolution 2000
can you imagine having been a session musician on "Self Portrait"? It would be so confusing; like "do you want me to play 'good', Bob?" "Am I in on the joke too? Or do I play my best, and only you get to make the joke, and I come off looking like a chump?"

All his "bad" albums from early 70's, I can';t find that much fault with because they all come off as totally intentional. They are bad because he chose them to be bad. Maybe "Dylan" is out of his reach because it is outtakes from "Self Portrait" and he did not even want it released.
The late 80's albums though are pretty lousy. He just didn't seem to care; right before he started back up with "Time out of Mind" (and maybe "World Gone Wrong")

I agree with that...Sort of like his live performances now. I love the man, but can't understand why he tours so much if he cares so little about the quality of his performance.

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: February 18, 2013 23:02

whitem8
Good to see you back Erik! I new Dylan would get you going!

Hi whitem8, yes it's time to wake up from this winter's hibernation, as Bowie is releasing his next single on next week's tuesday,

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1630
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home