Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 4 of 5
Re: Please someone lay to rest the myth of the 1978 tour
Posted by: rooster ()
Date: August 21, 2008 23:45

filstan
I am not sure about what myth surrounds this tour? This tour is revered by many fans because it represented the basic band out on stage, no horns, no back up singers. If there was an extra it was Mac on keyboards which in my opinion was a bonus. The setlists leaned hard on Some Girls, a record that many of us consider one of their better efforts. They tore through some classic old Berry rockers, Hound Dog! Many of the shows on this tour were very good but as we all know there were a few clunkers. That is the case though on EVERY tour, but in 78 there were more great shows than band ones. Overall the band always seemed to having fun, it was loose and they were certainly rocking it up. My God who would not love to see THAT band now? People would be blown away. I just don't get the point of what the critics didn't like about this tour?
So true!! No Myth we have nothing...only the boots and some not complete shows

Posted by: mickschix ()
Date: August 21, 2008 23:49

Of course you know I did, rooster, I screamed in YOUR ear!! I didn't hurt that I was 12 feet from the stage! Some of my best Stones concert pictures were taken that day; Mick wore a yellow blazer, brown vinyl-looking pants, blue socks and white cap! In spite of his sore throat, he sounded quite good! I am one of the few I gues who don't love SG, never liked a lot of the songs on that cd. The tempos are rushed, the lyrics didn't move me. I happen to enjoy the horns and back-up singers although I love the small stage. I like the band members working closer together. On those massive stages, it seems they disconnect, especially stadium stages. Of course ANY Stones show is far better than any other show, even if it's full of songs I don't love.

Date: August 22, 2008 00:04

But Debra...they were playing so close to eachother!....Beast of Burden...remember M You And TD....great version!...what do you remember..what wos your fave song? Sweet sixteen?...tell the tale! and show the pics girl...R&R greetings from olland!

Date: August 22, 2008 00:16

Out of tune? of course!...Hampton Sweet Vi....is a hot show!!

Posted by: mickschix ()
Date: August 22, 2008 00:38

I know Rooster, that's why I loved the small stage. I remember being almost KILLED during Far Away Eyes!! The crowd surged and pushed me so hard I was doubled over and facing the ground, could not straighten up! Some nice guy rescued me, pulled me up and help me around the waist until the crowd stopped surging. Hated that general admission because it really is dangerous. The good news is I took awesome pictures. If you can give me detailed instructions as to how to post photos here, I'll try. Otherwise, email me at home and I'll send a few to your private email; mine is mickschix2@aol.com.

Posted by: spikey ()
Date: August 22, 2008 00:58

tramp66646
I mean who the hell's this Blondie Chaplin guy anyway, and what's he ever done to rate a spot up on the same stage as the world's greatest rock band, afterall? The guy is definately ugly enough to be in this band though, without a doubt, if that's what it take's these day's?

Blondie Chaplin was a member of the Beach Boys in the early to mid-1970s, when Brian was out of the picture. Both he and Ricky Fatar were poached from Flame, a band who had major label recordings of their own. Blondie is not some zero. He helped to keep the work of Brian Wilson alive, and kept Wilson's the vehicle, the Beach Boys, going as well.

Date: August 22, 2008 01:11

mickschix
I know Rooster, that's why I loved the small stage. I remember being almost KILLED during Far Away Eyes!! The crowd surged and pushed me so hard I was doubled over and facing the ground, could not straighten up! Some nice guy rescued me, pulled me up and help me around the waist until the crowd stopped surging. Hated that general admission because it really is dangerous. The good news is I took awesome pictures. If you can give me detailed instructions as to how to post photos here, I'll try. Otherwise, email me at home and I'll send a few to your private email; mine is mickschix2@aol.com.
Thank you so much Debra...thats cool..we work that out...thanks...how was that day for you and what did you expect?...Did ya know about punk? Cheers.....yeah Debra thats a great tune to get down to!! I would have helped you to!!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2008-08-22 01:56 by rooster.

Posted by: flacnvinyl ()
Date: August 22, 2008 01:12

This tour rocks my sox off. Jagger may not be at his best but the rest of the band is in top form. The Handsome Girls box set is the single greatest Rolling Stones bootleg of all time. So there were some lousy shows... I believe it! Doesn't mean the entire tour was a joke. We can say the same thing about almost every tour they've ever had. No band is perfect, but the guitar-dueling was definitive on this tour!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-08-23 23:39 by flacnvinyl.

Posted by: rollmops ()
Date: August 22, 2008 02:09

flacnvinyl I am with you 100% on that. The 78 tour is a old controversial debate like the Ron vs MTaylor.I am a pro Ronnie and a Pro 78 tour. Even the Woodstock rehearsals are great to listen to ( the electric version of @#$%& blues).
The boys were still young at heart, wild ,physically in shape, inspired, ready to raise hell and it shows in their music.
Rock and roll,
Mops

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: August 22, 2008 02:12

melillo
yes they may have sucked on SNL to most people, but the tour was already over for four months , and btw i kind of like that performance, mick at his punk best IMO, spitting, abusing ronnie, in more ways than one btw, prancing , pouting, doing his femanine gestures, what more can you ask for, lol

Ludicrous self parody of a kind most thought theyd left behind in 1976, but still great fun.

SNL was fine apart from the fact that Jagger was quite obviously ill and his voice was totally shot.

Posted by: ROPENI ()
Date: August 22, 2008 02:25

This tour like all the Stones tours had its up and downs, l saw it at the Palladium in New York,and it rocked,and as Handsome Girls shows they had other great shows,so whats the big deal?

"No dope smoking no beer sold after 12 o'clock"

Date: August 22, 2008 02:32

the big deal is the best deal and the best tour...for me anywaysmileys with beer

Posted by: timbernardis ()
Date: August 22, 2008 03:38

1) I hated the bright, faggy clothes Jagger wore on the 78 and 81 tours, ever since then, he has toned down, wearing mostly black pants as he did in 69; and was it 78 or 81 that had the bright pink stage with them performing inside a giant tongue?

2) Where all was Handsome Girls recorded?

3) Wasn't one of the shows broadcast (tape delayed whatever) on the King Biscuit Flower Hour? Maybe Passaic?

4) I saw Anaheim # 1 (# 2 was the shoes show I think) which was hot as hell -- I mean hot from the sun with a packed sardines audience;

5) Oakland on Mick's birthday three days later was much better; how is the boot from that show?

6) I liked opening with Let It Rock, good choice.

plexi

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: August 22, 2008 04:48

rooster
the big deal is the best deal and the best tour...for me anywaysmileys with beer

Im right there with ya! there is something special about the 78 stones. both the album and tour.

Posted by: melillo ()
Date: August 22, 2008 04:59

yeah but micks stage routine is pretty much been the same since VL, at least the costumes he wore back in the 70s and early 80s were something to look forward too, they were his image

Posted by: KSIE ()
Date: August 22, 2008 14:44

Personally, I don't think Mick ever looked better on stage than 78. I LOVE that hat! Also don't think Ronnie ever sounded better (with any band) than this tour. I saw the Philly and Cleveland shows, which were bad, but the boots I've heard from other shows are hot. Passaic features some of the best "weaving" the guitar section has ever done, and Ronnie's lead work on the Houston "Lies" is extraordinary. All the Texas stuff is good.

Really the last time they exhibited much p*ss on stage.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: August 22, 2008 15:22

i loved the capital theatre in passaic new jersey, they rocked really good and i remember buffalo in 1978 another good one .i agree that stu and mac are way better than dufus chuch who come to think of it should have to wear the bozo the clown outfit.i just watched lets spend the night together the hal ashby film from 1981 and that brought back a lot of great memories from the 81 tour.what i loved about this incarnation of the band is there raw reckless abandon approach its like a runaway speeding ferrari with a top notch formula one driver with lots of expierence that is very entertaing and also the unknown element of what could happen next . wild and crazy but very top notch and i dont care what anybody says nobody rocks like the stones .oh about all the ronnie bashing those people should cheer for someone else .ronnie is an amazing guitar slinger with the best of them !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Date: August 22, 2008 16:00

1) I hated the bright, faggy clothes Jagger wore on the 78 and 81 tours, ever since then, he has toned down, wearing mostly black pants as he did in 69; and was it 78 or 81 that had the bright pink stage with them performing inside a giant tongue?

2) Where all was Handsome Girls recorded?

Discs 1 & 2 are from Fort Worth. Discs 3 & 4 are from the master tapes used for the KBFH recordings

3) Wasn't one of the shows broadcast (tape delayed whatever) on the King Biscuit Flower Hour? Maybe Passaic?

Passaic is a soundboard, although Ive an old DIR tape of 1978 broadcasts which (confusingly) seems to have some Passaic songs in with the regular KBFH stuff.

NO single show was broadcast on KBFH. Two separate broadcasts were announced as "Memphis" and "Lexington" but each of them also featured songs from Detroit and Houston. In fact, only two songs from Memphis were ever broadcast - Hound Doug and the version of Shattered which is preceded by Mick urging the baying crowd "Can y'all do a rebel yell real good?".

4) I saw Anaheim # 1 (# 2 was the shoes show I think) which was hot as hell -- I mean hot from the sun with a packed sardines audience;

5) Oakland on Mick's birthday three days later was much better; how is the boot from that show?

You can listen to it when I send it in the next few days! From memory, its not bad.

6) I liked opening with Let It Rock, good choice.

best opener ever!

Date: August 22, 2008 18:41

Gazza buffalo from 1978 was the live radio broadcast ( i wanna say that it was fourth of july,and i believe it was on king biscuit .the memory is kinda hazzy but i think buffalo was a daytime show)

Posted by: jeanmarie ()
Date: August 22, 2008 19:33

buffalo toronto star report

Date: August 22, 2008 19:48

I'm sure I'll get personally attacked for this but here it goes: I used to lean more towards Mick's style of playing and what it added to the overall band sound but as of late have gained a lot more respect for Ronnie for picking up the slack while Keith seems to be on hiatus. Drunk or sober I don't know, but he's really been filling in the gaps lately on stage.

Posted by: LOGIE ()
Date: August 22, 2008 19:52

Date: August 22, 2008 19:59

Date: August 22, 2008 20:47

LOGIE,many thanks for the passaic review and picture

Date: August 22, 2008 22:24

The Greek
Gazza buffalo from 1978 was the live radio broadcast ( i wanna say that it was fourth of july,and i believe it was on king biscuit .the memory is kinda hazzy but i think buffalo was a daytime show)

Buffalo wasnt a radio broadcast. The only circulating version of that show is an audience recording...and an imncomplete one at that (unless a complete recording has popped up that I havent heard of)

There was no actual single concert used for the radio broadcasts. Each one was a mixture of three or four different shows.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-08-22 22:27 by Gazza.

Date: August 22, 2008 22:32

LOGIE

Great pic and amazing read (even if she mistakes "let it rock" for "sweet little 16")

Always love reading stories about how a band - and its usually the Stones who are the ones who do it most - can create such a fuss in a town or state just for putting on a concert. THAT's power!

And how delightfully perverse that the biggest city in the US only got a theatre show which held 3,400 people and yet they play a similar sized gig in a small town in NJ based halfway between two huge markets.

Date: August 23, 2008 01:22

Also nice to see NME's Roy Carr passing on his own opinion of the tour:

Posted by: scottkeef ()
Date: August 23, 2008 15:35

Any relations to JOHN Carr??????????

Posted by: Britney ()
Date: August 23, 2008 20:28

Gazza
LOGIE

Great pic and amazing read (even if she mistakes "let it rock" for "sweet little 16")

Always love reading stories about how a band - and its usually the Stones who are the ones who do it most - can create such a fuss in a town or state just for putting on a concert. THAT's power!

And how delightfully perverse that the biggest city in the US only got a theatre show which held 3,400 people and yet they play a similar sized gig in a small town in NJ based halfway between two huge markets.

Great scans. Thanx. I've seen the pic attributed to St. Louis.

Date: August 23, 2008 23:14

Britney
Gazza
LOGIE

Great scans. Thanx. I've seen the pic attributed to St. Louis.

...and you are spot on with that assertion, Britney! The two NME reviews appeared in successive weeks and I'd forgotten which picture goes with which report.

Here's some tabloid journalism from the Daily mail about the tour:

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 4 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1496
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home