Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

1972 first show
Posted by: Hanns Rainsch ()
Date: February 1, 2005 21:16

I'm extremely interestered in Vancouver 03/06/1972.
What can you say about the sound quality?

Re: 1972 first show
Posted by: T&A ()
Date: February 1, 2005 21:21

it was pretty good judging by rarities played there that showed up as filler tracks on various boots.

Posted by: ChrisM ()
Date: February 1, 2005 21:53

I have the show as well and quite like it for the the reasons T&A mentions. Drop usa line and I'll send you a copy.

Posted by: mark ()
Date: February 1, 2005 22:57

For years I remembered that guy just to my left that held up the cassette player above his head. At the time I thought him quite the idiot since nobody was into taping many shows then and the physical effort it took. It took me 25 years and the internet to get a copy. Thanks to that guy.

Posted by: Smokey ()
Date: February 1, 2005 23:59

Very Ancient Thank You Very Kindly has supposed upgrades of a few of the rare songs.

Posted by: davido ()
Date: February 2, 2005 02:37

Yeah I lke that one too, interesting set,
not bad audience tape. My copy has
Loving Cup
Ventilator Blues
Torn and Frayed...

Yours too?

Date: February 2, 2005 03:15

I go back and forth on this show. They certainly had plenty of time to practice in LA, but it sounds like they hardly practiced at all. The guitars are seriously out of tune for nearly every number, and for a professional band w/purportedly a state of the art sound system, there's no excuse.

Mick's vocals are really good 'coz his voice isn't 'toured out' yet.

"The wonder of Jimi Hendrix was that he could stand up at all he was so pumped full of drugs." Patsy, Patsy Stone

Posted by: davido ()
Date: February 2, 2005 06:18

Hmmm. Well, Mayfair, out of tune Stones
guitars really aren't that rare an occurance tho.............

Date: February 2, 2005 19:20

Menace....tough to explain but at the time 'this show' was way more about other things than state of the art sound systems. Unfortunatley all we have in hindsite is the tape.

Allot has been said about the hype for this tour and thusly the opening night show. First you had to get a ticket, no internet,no ticket master, first show for overnight lineups. It was a young croud then, no mature fans and your folks had to let you go, 4 of the seven of our group had to drop out with tickets. When you got there was something in the air that turned out to be a riot (well documented). Remenmber this was not 'The world's best R&R band of the day' the title was being passed by media back and forth with record sales. You went to see that other British band that was still working. Once inside you would have to have an appreciation of the west coast canadian croud, they are tough, even on the Stones, what the tape does not pick up was the consistant booing that preceeded them starting because of the delays, buy the time they got going the croud was pissed off, drunk, stoned, not so pumped. This was a booze and drug show, I had to drag my feet leaving for fear of stepping on a bottle and slipping, Mick near had his head smacked by a gin bottle.

This is still part of the arena glory days. Bands are not yet carrying all of their oun sound system and would rent the Kelly Deyong PA system and integrate...always a problem. The only original thing they brought to the stage that I recall (I was pretty loaded) was the suspended mirror and rear spots, everything else looked like any other band. So Stevie sounded dead on....makes you wonder why the Stones were so rough.

I guess my point would be you can't sit in 2005 and compare sound, crouds, fans,and yes....who and what the Stones where in 1972. They are like a fine wine (or scotch in my case), they have gotten better with time. At work, the guy who sits next to me on one side was inside with me, the guy on the other side was outside being chased by police horse patols in the riot (strange odds we would end up working together) and none of us gave this event any more creedence than any other rock show of the day and if anything it was poorly done (sound,technical problems). They are amused like myself of the stature this tour has taken with fans. I am totaly on board at this time stating it may have been the best Stones tour for what it was but it had to be heldup against there other work todate. I realy appreciate you folks instilling a new perspective of the significance of this tour and show in me at this phase of my life.

Agian thanks to the guy with the cassette recorder.

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: February 3, 2005 01:23

The first North American show since Altamont. 17000 inside, 2000 rioting outside. Coincidentally, The Who played their first show after the Cincinnati tragedy in Vancouver in 1980. I remember tickets were sold by raffle and around 800,000 people wrote in requesting tickets. I was too young for the Stones and I couldn't get any tickets for The Who.

Posted by: stoneslib ()
Date: February 3, 2005 01:42

One interesting "what-if" in the Vancouver story is that CTV started setting up location video and sound in the arena for a possible feed to a nearby overflow viewing building. The local promoter stopped the video setup. This is related in a published interview with the promoter.

Date: February 3, 2005 07:35

stoneslib...that would make sence. The arena is part of a string of four buildings on fair grounds and three of them were used for music venues. Although alot of attention was given the gang aspect of the outside croud there was a large contingent of those who were going to storm the doors for lack of tickets, doors got shattered that kind of thing.

historicaly I would like to know if this was the first show where people had to line up for tickets. I do not recall ever seeing this done before this show. Usually I would get freinds to pick up tickets in Vancouver for top acts when they got a chance, there was never any panic to rush and get tickets (now there is something I would like to see again). I think the lining up, selling out quick, added to the urgency for more folks to be able to see it by video or rush the doors. Man my freinds and I were top cats in highschool with those tickets in our pockets and all the media hype about how few were going to see the show.

Date: February 3, 2005 09:21

The short clip from Canadian TV interviewing Mick and (a very subdued) Keith in their limo at the US/Canadian border is hilarious. Mick seems to have smoked all the grass in California before getting on the plane and he's so relaxed and friendly.

Mark, you're right about the 'arena glory' days. My first arena show was Alice Cooper at the Seattle Center Coliseum in '73. I missed the Stones in NYC in '72, although I lived in Hicksville, Long Island at the time. No way my parents were let their well brought up, Catholic school educated son attended a concert by drug addicts and alcoholics and the riff-raff coming out of the woodwork.

It was only after I became a cheery dronk who dabbles in pharmaceuticals (I can make dull family gatherings quite memorable if I wash down my sedatives w/strong cocktails) that my parents realized we're all not THAT BAD.

"The wonder of Jimi Hendrix was that he could stand up at all he was so pumped full of drugs." Patsy, Patsy Stone

Date: February 4, 2005 02:30

AS reformed catholic and now a cheery dronk who dabbles in pharmaceuticals you may also appreciate what we contributed in those days so that others can enjoy what they do today. Much like vetrans we early arena goers pushed the limits, grew our hair despite the preasures, experimented with pharmaceutacls, defied the parents to go to a concert. The brusies we took for the team rushing the doors and stage led to reserved seating. The crazed chicks led to gaps between artisits and fans instead of bouncers peeling screeming girls off performers on stage.

I hope the younger fans appreciate the pains we went through and dammed if a Stones show is not something you can take the grandkids to these days, go figure....if you like explaining girls riding tounges to them.

Posted by: SatanicFlowers ()
Date: February 4, 2005 08:17

Found this on EBAY for those looking to spend cash...

[cgi.ebay.com]

- Thru our past darkly...

Date: February 5, 2005 02:31

mark Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> AS reformed catholic and now a cheery dronk who
> dabbles in pharmaceuticals you may also appreciate
> what we contributed in those days so that others
> can enjoy what they do today. Much like vetrans we
> early arena goers pushed the limits, grew our hair
> despite the preasures, experimented with
> pharmaceutacls, defied the parents to go to a
> concert. The brusies we took for the team rushing
> the doors and stage led to reserved seating. The
> crazed chicks led to gaps between artisits and
> fans instead of bouncers peeling screeming girls
> off performers on stage.
>
> I hope the younger fans appreciate the pains we
> went through and dammed if a Stones show is not
> something you can take the grandkids to these
> days, go figure....if you like explaining girls
> riding tounges to them.

HEAR! HEAR! Sir, I second that emotion! You tell it like it was man, sitting all day, then opening the doors and running FULL TROT to the front of the stage. No time for popcorn, the loo, a refreshing soft drink. Then the CRUSH against the crash barrier and the security guards screaming in your face and the fans screaming from behind.

That's what Long Beach Buzz reminds me of! And you're absolutely correct. Now, one goes to the internet, picks one's seat, keys in credit card number and voila! You've got yer tic.

People used to camp out just to get the tix!!!! That's why I stay away from concerts these days. When the price of a concert ticket is more than half of your monthly mortgage payment, you know it's time to think about financial priorities!

Date: February 6, 2005 04:56

P.S. Listened to Vancouver '72 Friday night. Brilliant show, really a rocker. Yeah, some stuff mucked up, but not nearly as bad as I remember. I must have been going through 'the change' when I heard it last time, eh?

Posted by: tramp66646 ()
Date: February 21, 2005 01:39

Talking about the pain's fan's took back in the early day's of rock concert's, and for this show particularly? I just happened to meet and get to know the one person unable to get into the show in Vancouver that night, that got pinned with the blame for insighting the riot that took place outside of the sold out venue, and he ended up doing eighteen month's jail time afterwards too. Charged him with a slew of unfounded crime's including insighting a crowd to riot, or whatever they called it? And the entire thing seem's all the more incredible now, knowing that the guy was only seventeen year's old, at the time?
How does a kid of this age wield such power over an entire mass of people, is what I've never managed to figure out? And even though it's been all these many year's since 1972, and the person I refer to has long ago forgotten any ill feeling's he once may have had, I believe a lawsuit would still be in order, to help compensate him for his suffering the blame to the extent he was made to? Although he himself would never even consider such a thing.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1906
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home