Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4
Re: Preference - GHS, IORR or B&B
Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: February 6, 2013 23:39

T&A
GasLightStreet
T&A
GasLightStreet
Can You Hear The Music is an excellent song. I've always loved it.

we'll never know how you really feel now that you realize that stuff about stupid ppl.

Stupid pple can't help it that they are stupid. They're just stupid, you know? Oh wait.

There just stupid.

sigh. it's THEIR just stupid...

Surry. Thier jest stipud lake thet.

Posted by: odean73 ()
Date: February 7, 2013 00:05

GHS for me.

Its the one i play the most. I do love memory motel thou.

Posted by: Witness ()
Date: February 7, 2013 00:35

1) GOATS HEAD SOUP.
Not quite living up to its even greater potential, in my view. A more "gothic" sounding "Dancing with Mr D." could have contributed, more importantly, "Silver Train" and "Hide Your Love" are not as good as the first five songs, far from it, and the isolated very good song "Winter" is paradoxially not able to restore the album to the heights of the first five songs in the manner "Waiting on a Friend" might have done in its place. (I have wondered if "Winter" ought to have been a single instead.) "Can You Hear the Music" has a certain magic effect on the other hand. All the same, perhaps falling from being the great album which it was on its way to become, GHS is a rather good album as it is, more than that, almost VERY good in its representation of a kind of creative tiredness (expressed by other posters as well on former occasions) and the feeling of coming down again.

2) IORR
Ranked markedly behind by me, despite especially Fingerprint File" and the very nice "If You Really Want to Be My Friend" and in some degree also a couple of other rather good songs, such as "Time Waits for No One". I am not so keen on the studio song "IORR" and I think the band has not at all succeeded in making "Ain't to Proud to Beg" work the way I have heard in a live version. (For instance, "Harlem Shuffle", if a little forced, is mastered to much better effect,)

3) BLACK AND BLUE
Despite the very good "Memory Motel" and to some extent "Hot Stuff" and "Fool to Cry".

I am not saying that I hold IORR and B&B to be bad albums. However, if not all is to be taken as equally good what the band has created, the verdict not as good has to apply some time. Then, despite all that is good on them, those two albums have to be thought of by me, comparatively, as a relative slump in the band's career, in the same manner as DIRTY WORK and STEEL WHEELS. More controversially, I do know, I hold TATTOO YOU to be their absolute slump, but even that album has moments of good value and one great song, where DIRTY WORK is lacking primarily in not having one truly great song.

Posted by: spsimmons ()
Date: February 7, 2013 01:04

Goats Head Soup

Posted by: LieB ()
Date: February 7, 2013 01:51

ryanpow
DandelionPowderman

I like a lot of the songs on IORR, including one of my favorites, If You Can't Rock Me. However, the song writing is a bit uneven, and the mix and the production is remarkably weak.

3. GHS:

Really? I think the mix is quite good on IORR. It's an improvement over Goats Head soup, but not yet at the level of Black N Blue. I'm just talking mix-wise, not the over all quality of the albums.

I agree with DandelionPowderman, I think the mix/production on IORR is a bit lifeless. GHS is mushy but has way more character and atmosphere to it. It's not only because of the sound, I think the songs on GHS have way more style and direction compared to IORR which feels more incoherent and generic.

Black And Blue has a punchier and clearer mix than both IORR and Goats, but I still like GHS more.

Date: February 7, 2013 04:00

Maybe I take it for granted, but what a great vocalist Jagger is. "Memory Motel", you can't beat it. One of my fave performances by him, a beautiful set of lyrics, great drumming by Charlie. And if all this wasn't enough Keith comes chiming in with some beautiful bridges.
The vocals, and their respective arrangements sum up the dynamics of the Mick/Keith display in 70's.
Also the lead vox on "Happy". I always LOVE the way Mick comes blasting in during the outro of "Happy" taking over the lead vocal.

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: February 7, 2013 05:42

LieB
ryanpow
DandelionPowderman

I like a lot of the songs on IORR, including one of my favorites, If You Can't Rock Me. However, the song writing is a bit uneven, and the mix and the production is remarkably weak.

3. GHS:

Really? I think the mix is quite good on IORR. It's an improvement over Goats Head soup, but not yet at the level of Black N Blue. I'm just talking mix-wise, not the over all quality of the albums.

I agree with DandelionPowderman, I think the mix/production on IORR is a bit lifeless. GHS is mushy but has way more character and atmosphere to it. It's not only because of the sound, I think the songs on GHS have way more style and direction compared to IORR which feels more incoherent and generic.

Black And Blue has a punchier and clearer mix than both IORR and Goats, but I still like GHS more.

When I hear ATPTB and Dance Litttle Sister it feels like they're playing together in small pub. In Particular, the way Charlie is picked up sounds great. On IORR the acoustic and electric guitars are blended very nicely.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-02-07 05:43 by ryanpow.

Posted by: Send It To me ()
Date: February 7, 2013 05:47

Here's a great album...

1. If You can't Rock Me
2. Hand of Fate
3. It's Only Rock n' Roll
4. Heartbreaker
5. Angie
6. Star Star
7. Crazy Mamma
8. Hot Stuff
9. Fool to Cry
10. 100 Years Ago
11. Can You Hear the Music
12. Coming Down Again

Date: February 7, 2013 11:31

Send It To me
Here's a great album...

1. If You can't Rock Me
2. Hand of Fate
3. It's Only Rock n' Roll
4. Heartbreaker
5. Angie
6. Star Star
7. Crazy Mamma
8. Hot Stuff
9. Fool to Cry
10. 100 Years Ago
11. Can You Hear the Music
12. Coming Down Again

'Hand of Fate', the perennial second tune.
Interesting choices. I was getting ready to put mine together, and Im thinking "for sure I got to have 'Memory Motel', "Time Waits For No One" and "Winter", and "Fingerprint File" in there", but you can't have an album full of epics. So your choices make a lot of sense.

Posted by: tommyquinn ()
Date: February 7, 2013 15:56

My version of "It's Only Black and Blue Goat's Head" (IOBaBGH)

I'd keep the first 3 on IORR as they are, no space between ATPTB and IORR

1. If You Can't Rock Me
2. Ain't to Proud to Beg
3. (no pause) It's Only Rock and Roll
4. Memory Motel
5. Silver Train (one of my faves- and I know, it sounds like ADTL)
6. Hand of Fate
7. Dance Little Sister (again, a fave of mine that many are not fond of)
8. Heartbreaker
9. Angie
10. Crazy Mama
11. Winter
12. Til the Next Time We Say Goodbye (my vinyl skipped at the end of this song, so it always seemed like the last song on this side, even though it wasn't)

BONUS TRACKS: Dancin' With Mr. D, Coming Down Again, Fool to Cry

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: February 7, 2013 16:02

With the exception of a few tracks from each album, they all sound like albums by a band that is going through the motions.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-02-07 16:02 by His Majesty.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: February 7, 2013 16:24

His Majesty
With the exception of a few tracks from each album, they all sound like albums by a band that is going through the motions.

They were. But wouldn't you rather take that then what's been of late? Themselves imitating themselves going through the motions?

Bridges remains the last album of any interest from the band minus Wyman since Undercover. In fact, if you skip DW, SW and VL and just go from Undercover to Bridges, well, it sounds like a proper follow up. Everything else has been 'We're the Stones man'. And it shows. Doesn't mean I don't like it/them, just that it's... it is what it is.

Date: February 7, 2013 16:38

It's Only Black And Blue Goats:

1. If You Can't Rock Me
2. Hand Of Fate
3. Coming Down Again
4. Fingerprint File
5. Angie
6. Hey Negrita
7. Heartbreaker
8. If You Really Want To Be My Friend
9. Hot Stuff
10. Dance Little Sister
11. Memory Motel

Date: February 7, 2013 16:48

GasLightStreet
His Majesty

They were. But wouldn't you rather take that then what's been of late? Themselves imitating themselves going through the motions?

Bridges remains the last album of any interest from the band minus Wyman since Undercover. In fact, if you skip DW, SW and VL and just go from Undercover to Bridges, well, it sounds like a proper follow up. Everything else has been 'We're the Stones man'. And it shows. Doesn't mean I don't like it/them, just that it's... it is what it is.

Over the years my stones collection has been whittled down to The Rolling Stones, Aftermath, Between The Buttons, Their Satanic Majesties Request and Beggars Banquet with associated singles and bootlegs. That's the stones music I love, the rest I can do without really.

I thought the best parts of their recent concerts was Lady Jane, but with a loving nod to Taylor's guest appearances too.

Posted by: mickschix ()
Date: February 7, 2013 16:49

GHS by a country mile! The mood, the writing of the lyrics...AH, and WINTER....the band at the top of their game.

Date: February 7, 2013 16:53

His Majesty
GasLightStreet
His Majesty

Over the years my stones collection has been whittled down to The Rolling Stones, Aftermath, Between The Buttons, Their Satanic Majesties Request and Beggars Banquet with associated singles and bootlegs. That's the stones music I love, the rest I can do without really.

I thought the best parts of their recent concerts was Lady Jane, but with a loving nod to Taylor's guest appearances too.

If memory serves, you were also observed recently tapping your feet to a performance of Undercover of the night from Atlantic City? winking smiley

Date: February 7, 2013 17:01

DandelionPowderman
His Majesty
GasLightStreet
His Majesty

If memory serves, you were also observed recently tapping your feet to a performance of Undercover of the night from Atlantic City? winking smiley

Great track and performance, but that's part of "with a few exceptions". It's not like they suddenly ditched everything I like about them.

smileys with beer

Date: February 7, 2013 17:08

smileys with beer

Posted by: marcovandereijk ()
Date: February 7, 2013 18:07

I prefer Goat's head soup on a freezing winter's morning.
And It's only rock 'n'roll I prefer late at night, when the moon is hiding.
Black and blue I prefer at a party, dancing and grooving.

And I prefer other albums at other situations.

Just as long as the guitar plays, let it steal your heart away

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: February 7, 2013 18:22

These 3 albums have a common trait: they all are works of a band that has nothing to prove. They didn't even have a fixed time schedule, the recordings could go on for ages, nothing really mattered. The result is 3 works that are a little out of their time. They come from stones world, not the real world. I think the music shows this, there is not the underlying tension of the previous works.

Yet, they are 3 mighty fine albums. Great musicianship on all of them. Love the songwriting. Love the diversity of sounds and moods, yet they also are very similar. Even if Taylor is not on B&B, B&B has all the characteristics of a Taylor era album.

Which is the best, is a matter of how I wake up in the morning.

Probably B&B is the one I listen more. But I can safely say I love them all.

C

Posted by: mickschix ()
Date: February 7, 2013 21:06

Nicely put, marcovandereijk!!

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: February 7, 2013 21:45

This is what's great about IORR, I came into this thread convinced that I liked GHS best, now after listening to the other two for the past several days and reading all the wonderful comments, I am not so sure. I surely do love all three.

Posted by: T&A ()
Date: February 7, 2013 21:47

doesn't anybody have any convictions anymore???

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: February 7, 2013 22:08

T&A

It would be tough to find work if you had convictions.

Date: February 7, 2013 22:11

BluzDude
T&A

in my line of work, it's a requirement....it's no capital crime

Date: February 7, 2013 22:16

T&A
BluzDude
T&A

When I was in college, a new Wherehouse Records opened. A few of my friends applied for work there.. One of the questions on the application ask if the applicant smoked marijuana. The ones they hired said yes.

Date: February 7, 2013 22:56

BluzDude
T&A
BluzDude
T&A

When I was in college, a new Wherehouse Records opened. A few of my friends applied for work there.. One of the questions on the application ask if the applicant smoked marijuana. The ones they hired said yes.

a great joint to work for sure

Posted by: GravityBoy ()
Date: February 7, 2013 23:14

T&A
BluzDude
T&A
BluzDude
T&A

Weed love to work there.

Date: February 7, 2013 23:19

GravityBoy
T&A
BluzDude
T&A
BluzDude
T&A

Weed love to work there.

ya, but the company went to pot.

Posted by: GravityBoy ()
Date: February 7, 2013 23:20

BluzDude
GravityBoy
T&A
BluzDude
T&A
BluzDude
T&A

Weed love to work there.

ya, but the company went to pot.

That's sh*t.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-02-07 23:20 by GravityBoy.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1775
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home