Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT: Danny Klein of The J. Geils Band (some Stones content)
Posted by: Kurt ()
Date: February 4, 2013 22:46

Hey everyone,

I got a chance to talk to the bassist from The J. Geils Band, Danny Klein, for my humble blog. If anyone wants to check out the full interview you can here:

Danny Klein Interview

The tour that has always fascinated me was when J. Geils opened for The Rolling Stones in Europe 1982. My two favorite bands of all time together on one bill! Too bad it was over "there" and I was stuck in Michigan!

He was very complimentary of the time that the two bands spent together, calling it "one of those once in a lifetime type" things. I tried to get some wild tales out of him, but he just kept saying how nice the Stones were and what a great tour it was.

I still think that Geils is the greatest live band to ever come out of America and it sounds like they will still be touring, without Jay Geils.

Maybe if The Stones go back out, and the stars realign????

Re: OT: Danny Klein of The J. Geils Band (some Stones content)
Posted by: T&A ()
Date: February 4, 2013 22:51

geils opened for some of the '81 usa shows too. they were hot on the charts that year with three big hits from the centerfold album....

Posted by: buffalo7478 ()
Date: February 5, 2013 02:01

I saw J Geils without J Geils this past August in Buffalo. New drummer, and two guitarists trading licks.....JG the man was not missed. They were great 2 1/2 hours and they would have loved to keep rolling. Danny Klein was solid and having a blast. The whole band seemed to be having fun. The crowd of maybe 10,000 loved it, too.

Best American LIVE band (yes I know that offends you G&R, Kiss, Aerosmith, Tom Petty, Bruce Springsteen fans....just my opinion)

Posted by: R ()
Date: February 5, 2013 02:13

T&A
geils opened for some of the '81 usa shows too. they were hot on the charts that year with three big hits from the centerfold album....

I saw them open for the Stones in '75 along with Tower of Power and the Meters. It was quite a day.

Posted by: Woody24 ()
Date: February 5, 2013 02:18

J. Geils Band was one of the openers for the first Rolling Stones concert I ever attended. June 14, 1975, Cleveland Municipal Stadium. Tour of the Americas, 1975.

Great show. Also on the bill- Vitalie's Madmen and Tower of Power.

Would love to see J.Geils again. Love Peter Wolf's solo stuff as well.

"Take all the pain...It's yours anyway"

Posted by: hbwriter ()
Date: February 5, 2013 04:00

they used to scout my college, emerson in boston, when they shot music videos like centerfold - we had tons of pretty girls

Posted by: georgeV ()
Date: February 5, 2013 08:04

I saw them open in San Francisco on the '81 tour and, like many, it was my 2 favourite acts on the same bill. Great band!

Posted by: Kurt ()
Date: February 5, 2013 14:26

I never even knew that they had warmed up for the Stones in 1975...

I can't think of a better opener if the Stones use one this year!
Brush your teeth with Rock N' Roll!

Posted by: detroitken ()
Date: February 5, 2013 14:46

I would have loved to see'm with the Stones....tho i have seen'm over 10 times here in the D...

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: February 5, 2013 15:48

Saw them open for the Stones in 1982 in Rotterdam.. Great shows. Great concerts.

jeroen

Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: February 5, 2013 17:21

I was thrilled to see them again in Buffalo last summer. A beautiful evening. Too bad a curfew forced them to cut out a little early. Hoping they return again with J. Geils.

I'm encouraged to see that he says the east coast is more supportive of them, hopefully that will bring them back.

Posted by: minorbyrd ()
Date: February 5, 2013 18:05

I read (from account given by Nick Kent) about Mick dissing Peter Wolf for taking a Hank Williams Songbook to Keith's room during the 82 UK tour. I'm sure everyone's read it somewhere, but Mick allegedly said something like 'Real musicians don't need those books'. But then I'm a bit sceptical about some of what Nick Kent writes, except for what he wrote at the time.

Posted by: runaway ()
Date: February 5, 2013 18:45

The J.Geils Band opened for The Stones European Tour in 1982. Here they perform Freeze-Frame in rotterdam. I saw the J. Geils open for The Stones 2 x.
The J. Geils were very impressive and made a lot of new fans there.

video: [www.myspace.com]

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: February 5, 2013 18:57

why is j. geils not in his own band anymore?

Posted by: kish_stoned ()
Date: February 5, 2013 19:50

saw them in uk with the stones,they were great,shame peter wolf left great singer still making great solo music.

Posted by: andrewm ()
Date: February 5, 2013 21:06

Saw them open for the Stones at the Kingdome, Seattle, 10/15/81. They were really great, especially the Woofer Goofer. Never had a chance to see them since.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1397
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home