Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4
Re: OT: CHUCK BERRY Live in Paris
Posted by: Harm ()
Date: February 14, 2013 21:13

thumbs up

Posted by: bluesinc. ()
Date: February 15, 2013 09:28

well, i like chuck berry, have all of his records etc BUT if you go to see him, you´re going to see a legend, not a music show...

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: February 15, 2013 16:32

FB pic from his 13/02/2013 show at BB Hill, haven't seen any reviews yet :

Posted by: WolfgangG ()
Date: February 21, 2013 15:24

The Paris show has been cancelled. As far as I know due to slow ticket sales.

No surprise considering the rather strange venue choice and ticket prices on the balcony approaching 200 Euro. The promoter also never properly promoted the show and it was a well kept secret.

Let's hope this joke of a local promoter stops fooling around with things he hasn't got a clue of.

The Moscow show will take place. Chuck will perform for his Russian fans on Sunday.

Date: February 21, 2013 16:14

Oh no, that's really bad news! But as you say not very surprising since little advertising was done.

edit - called the venue to inquire about the refund process and asked why it had been cancelled...they wouldn't elaborate but when I mentioned the lack of advertizing and possibly low sales they didn't seem to think it was necessarily the main reason...guess we'll never know, anyway it sucks!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-02-21 16:49 by gotdablouse.

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: February 21, 2013 17:59

Well, problem solved, it was going to cost me 2 days from work on top of the high ticket prices. Would like to see him again though.

Posted by: Dreamer ()
Date: February 21, 2013 18:23

bluesinc.
well, i like chuck berry, have all of his records etc BUT if you go to see him, you´re going to see a legend, not a music show...

Embarrassing and pathetic.
Someone should bring him to an old folks home.
But I'm sure there are lots of North Koreans here who will keep whining that this is great. Like they believe Kim Jong-Richards is still the best...
We know how they became legends.
How to stay a legend? Stop playing before people laugh at you.

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: February 21, 2013 19:12

Dreamer
bluesinc.

Embarrassing and pathetic.
Someone should bring him to an old folks home.
But I'm sure there are lots of North Koreans here who will keep whining that this is great. Like they believe Kim Jong-Richards is still the best...
We know how they became legends.
How to stay a legend? Stop playing before people laugh at you.
North Koreans? WTF?

Posted by: GumbootCloggeroo ()
Date: February 21, 2013 19:18

I'm not North Korean but I do have a lovely vacation home there.

Date: February 21, 2013 19:38

Don't let posts like the above get to you if you read this, CBII!

It's just jealousy, we love your dad's work, and he's THE man and decides for how long he wants to entertain people perfectly well...

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: February 21, 2013 19:59

To what DandelionPowderman says smileys with beer

Posted by: mr_dja ()
Date: February 21, 2013 22:14

Hey Dreamer,

Hopefully you've stopped doing whatever made you a legend in your own mind as, after reading your post, people most certainly are laughing AT YOU!

As soon as you're ready to bring me more joy and happiness than Chuck Berry, I'll be ready to take your drivel seriously. Chuck will ALWAYS be THE MAN and, regardless of how he chooses to end his career as an entertainer, will have my support. Why? Because he's EARNED it. Maybe in your alternate dream world there's an alternate Chuck Berry who isn't embarrassing to you. Over here in the real world, I'm thankful that the real Chuck Berry is still willing to come out and play for me every now and then.

While there's no doubt that everyone is entitled to their own opinions, I truly hope that you're not on the committee that has a deciding vote of when I get sent to an old folks home. How arrogant you must be to feel that you should be able to decree that fate for an absolute legend who is still gracious enough to share some joy with the public even though he knows his abilities aren't what they once were.

To CBII & his dad... Please see DP's post above... We love you guys! And... If y'all can ever get over here to Knoxville, TN, I'll be the guy on his knees thanking all the powers above that I'm finally in the same room with y'all! Come to think of it, if I can ever make it to y'all @ Blueberry Hill, I'll be just as thankful!

Peace,
Mr DJA

Posted by: flacnvinyl ()
Date: February 21, 2013 22:36

video: [youtu.be]

Seriously, that has to be the saddest thing I have ever seen. Its like he doesn't recognize the object in his hands. Reminds me of someone trying to learn how to play guitar.

I'm glad he's still around, but his problem is that he doesn't try anymore. If he were to practice and try to remember his own songs, he would still be great. He doesn't care.

Note, at one point I looked into booking him for a festival. When I inquired and finally got a number back, they said $20,000. If he could play, sure, but he can't. It would have been embarrassing for me, my festival, and Chuck Berry.

Date: February 21, 2013 23:07

mr_dja
Hey Dreamer,

Hopefully you've stopped doing whatever made you a legend in your own mind as, after reading your post, people most certainly are laughing AT YOU!

As soon as you're ready to bring me more joy and happiness than Chuck Berry, I'll be ready to take your drivel seriously. Chuck will ALWAYS be THE MAN and, regardless of how he chooses to end his career as an entertainer, will have my support. Why? Because he's EARNED it. Maybe in your alternate dream world there's an alternate Chuck Berry who isn't embarrassing to you. Over here in the real world, I'm thankful that the real Chuck Berry is still willing to come out and play for me every now and then.

While there's no doubt that everyone is entitled to their own opinions, I truly hope that you're not on the committee that has a deciding vote of when I get sent to an old folks home. How arrogant you must be to feel that you should be able to decree that fate for an absolute legend who is still gracious enough to share some joy with the public even though he knows his abilities aren't what they once were.

To CBII & his dad... Please see DP's post above... We love you guys! And... If y'all can ever get over here to Knoxville, TN, I'll be the guy on his knees thanking all the powers above that I'm finally in the same room with y'all! Come to think of it, if I can ever make it to y'all @ Blueberry Hill, I'll be just as thankful!

Peace,
Mr DJA

Legends go to old folks homes as well. I guess they are not allowed there when you are on the committee that has a deciding vote? I will not express myself about how arrogant you might or might not be but it's disapointing you accuse others of what you do yourself.
And there is nothing wrong with not wanting to see a legend perform like that because it is damaging the image we all have of the legend...
So it's really not so difficult to see that I'm a fan as much as you but up to this limit: that I don't think it's a good idea when damned good performers like Chuck embarrass themselves (and me) when 'performing' like that.

Chuck is still gracious? Chuck is still a nice guy and we all have fantastic memories but there is nothing gracious about not knowing how and what to play like these clips show us.

Posted by: Dali ()
Date: February 21, 2013 23:10

Dreamer,

Date: February 21, 2013 23:11

Great painting Dali!

Posted by: mr_dja ()
Date: February 22, 2013 00:22

Dreamer
mr_dja
Hey Dreamer,

Peace,
Mr DJA

Legends go to old folks homes as well. No kidding. Thanks for making us aware of the obvious. I'm still amazed that you feel you have the right to decree when they should go. Maybe you are on a committee that has the authority to do so. I apologize for not confirming this before I questioned your authority or lack thereof. I guess they are not allowed there when you are on the committee that has a deciding vote? No need to guess, I'm not on any committee and would protest the creation of any committee that had that kind of power. I will not express myself about how arrogant you might or might not be but it's disapointing you accuse others of what you do yourself. I thought you weren't going to express yourself but since you did, I'll simply apologize for having disappointed you.

And there is nothing wrong with not wanting to see a legend perform like that because it is damaging the image we all have of the legend...
So it's really not so difficult to see that I'm a fan as much as you but up to this limit: that I don't think it's a good idea when damned good performers like Chuck embarrass themselves (and me) when 'performing' like that. You are 100% correct that there's nothing wrong with not wanting to see a legend perform like that. I'm sure many people would agree with you even if I'm not one of them. Assuming that it is damaging the image that "we all" have of that legend to see them like that is where I find you to be off base. I may be alone in my views but it doesn't damage my image of my heroes to see them at a low level due to age. I don't expect that I will be at the top of my game at 80 years old but if there's an audience that wants me and I still want to be there, I'm going to be there as long as we're willing to have each other.

Chuck is still gracious? Chuck is still a nice guy and we all have fantastic memories but there is nothing gracious about not knowing how and what to play like these clips show us. If you'll notice, I didn't use the word gracious to describe Chuck's playing. I used it in regard to "sharing some joy". I recently read an interview where Chuck was quoted as saying to the effect of (I'm paraphrasing) that he realizes that he can't play or sing the way he used to and that most people who come to see him now are coming for a bit of nostailgia. If he's OK with that, I'm OK with that as well. I'd be willing to bet that he's also smart enough to know that there are people who feel exactly like you. If, after weighing the pros and cons, he decides that he's OK with making people who feel as you do, unhappy by performing as he does now, that's his choice & I'm OK with it. Personally I'm happy that he's still willing to share a bit of nostailgia and a walk down memory lane with me and others who still want to go there with him.

Dreamer,
Although I have no desire to debate you on this, I replied to you since you called me out. You can see my replies to your comments bolded within your quote above. I think we, and the board will be better off agreeing to agree that we have different opinions on how our heroes should grow old. Lot's of different views on how it should be done and I'm pretty sure that I'm not going to convince you to agree with mine any sooner than you'll convince me to agree with your's.

Peace,
Mr DJA

Date: February 22, 2013 01:02

Some people just like to come to message boards to provoke. They don't have better things to do. Don't waste your energy on them, they'll keep on insulting fellow board members. North Korean? Pfft, really Dreamer, really??

Date: February 22, 2013 02:31

They don't have better things to do.

Now obviously there is this little chance you will think this is an insult but on this subject I really think it is fair to give you, my dear Dandy, all the credits with your stunning 13.328 posts!
Furthermore I respect your capabilities in understanding an average sentence so I do encourage you to continue in trying to discover what is a provocation and what is not... I mean: it would be great if you might have a clue after this post?
Ah yes I admit that was a little joke...I was pulling your Norwegian leg: this one is not so difficult for you of course, I know I know smiling smiley
But that is because I always enjoy it when you write something back to me.
So don't disappoint me this time!

Date: February 22, 2013 02:46

Dear mr_dja,

After a long meeting of the committee I have to inform you about our decision regarding your request to be send to an old folks home.
We could not reach a decision yet!
Could you send the committee some extra information about yourself?
Thank you!

Date: February 22, 2013 08:38

Do you really think that my reply to you, Dreamer, have something to do with controlling your opinion?

Why don't you try a positive post for a change? It will probably make you feel better smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-02-22 09:20 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: Harm ()
Date: February 22, 2013 13:15

Damn, cancelled

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: February 28, 2013 11:03

Yup, that's true alas...

Here's the setlist for the Moscow show :

01 Carol (Instrumental snippet)
02 Wee Wee Hours (Snippet with different lyrics by Darlin Berry)
03 Roll over Beethoven
04 Brown Eyed Handsome Man
05 School Days
06 Johnny B. Goode
07 Mean Old World (T-Bone Walker cover)
08 Carol (with lyrics from "Let It Rock" )
09 Honest I Do (Jimmy Reed cover)
10 Nadine
11 My Ding-a-Ling
12 Let It Rock
13 Memphis, Tennessee
14 Little Queenie (Instrumental snippet)
15 Reelin' and Rockin'

Chuck Berry - guitar & vocals
Charles Edward Berry, Jr. - guitar
Darlin Ingrid Berry-Clay - harmonica & vocals
James "Jimmy" Marsala - bass
Robert J. Lohr - keyboards
Keith Robinson - drums

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-02-28 15:28 by dcba.

Date: February 28, 2013 11:06

These "snippets" don't sound too good to me, where did you find that?

Ah ok, it's from DIME : [www.dimeadozen.org]

Date: February 28, 2013 12:28

Yes Gtb, from Dime as often... (but Hungercity isn't bad either)

Posted by: Happy24 ()
Date: February 28, 2013 14:12

There are good quallity clips of the show on youtube, most of the songs actually.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: February 28, 2013 14:13

All I can say: PLEASE STOP PERFORMING!!!

[www.youtube.com]

Mathijs

Date: February 28, 2013 14:29

yeah, not good, that's better :

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: February 28, 2013 14:57

gotdablouse
yeah, not good, that's better :

You really think so? Ouch....

Mathijs

Date: February 28, 2013 15:29

Gents, behave! CBII is or will be reading this page...

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2140
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home