Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234
Current Page: 4 of 4
Re: Stones' sound with Darryl
Posted by: RiffKichards ()
Date: January 30, 2013 18:51

I think it is worse.

I think that Darryl is less involved in their music than Bill.

It is not because he can't (he's a great musician) but because he's not a member of the band (he's not a Rolling Stones, he plays for them) and his playing cannot be highlighted in the mix.
I am quite sure it is written in his contract.

To give you an example (among others), listen to Miss You live with Bill and compare it with Darryl. You can hear Bill very sharply, he gives groove. It is not the case with Darryl. He's Ok but he's not Bill.

That's the reason why I think their records without Bill are lacking of bass.

I am sorry for Darryl, but I miss Bill.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: January 30, 2013 18:51

No matter where yer from in the United States, to the Limeys yer a Yank. So yes in this case Chuck is a Yank even though he's from Georgia (although some southeners will kick your ass for saying that).

I know the reason behind Limey but what the hell is Yank from? How is it connected to calling people not from Europe etc a Yankee?

Posted by: uhbuhgullayew ()
Date: January 30, 2013 18:53

T&A
i think he's from georgia. what does everyone else think?

Not sure but his playing sounds a bit West Virginia to me.

Posted by: T&A ()
Date: January 30, 2013 18:55

GasLightStreet
No matter where yer from in the United States, to the Limeys yer a Yank.

not texans. we're not even americans, really. we only joined up for the bbq. we were told there'd be more bbq.

Date: January 30, 2013 18:56

T&A
GasLightStreet

not texans. we're not even americans, really. we only joined up for the bbq. we were told there'd be more bbq.

BBQ eh? So you're admitting to be as boring and bland as Iowa. Holy Jerry Jones why would you DO something like that?

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: January 30, 2013 19:01

T&A
GasLightStreet

oh the bbq..

Date: January 30, 2013 19:04

GasLightStreet
T&A
GasLightStreet

BBQ eh? So you're admitting to be as boring and bland as Iowa. Holy Jerry Jones why would you DO something like that?

bbq boring? oh, my. i hope you're just ribbing me or i have a beef with you.

Date: January 30, 2013 19:10

T&A
GasLightStreet
T&A
GasLightStreet

don't let it rub you the wrong way

Date: January 30, 2013 19:12

duke richardson
T&A
GasLightStreet
T&A
GasLightStreet

he just likes grilling me

Date: January 30, 2013 19:14

T&A
duke richardson
T&A
GasLightStreet
T&A
GasLightStreet

A tad burnt because I compared Texas to Iowa? I am very well seasoned like that.

Date: January 30, 2013 19:21

GasLightStreet
T&A
duke richardson
T&A
GasLightStreet
T&A
GasLightStreet

A tad burnt because I compared Texas to Iowa? I am very well seasoned like that.

i have more bark than bite

Posted by: McQwerty ()
Date: January 30, 2013 23:28

I think they are different a lot.

Darryl plays some rock songs by funk style. Bill was rock 'n' roll bassist!

But Charlie and Darryl are still good together, and Bill and Charlie was the best ever heared!

Posted by: vertigojoe ()
Date: January 31, 2013 12:34

Jeezus what a ridiculous thing to say.You Know nothing!

More Hot Rocks
I like the sound better with Bill but Darryl can play better than Bill with both hand tied behind his back. You can to any local bar and see a better bass player than Wyman.

Date: January 31, 2013 13:05

vertigojoe
Jeezus what a ridiculous thing to say.You Know nothing!

More Hot Rocks
I like the sound better with Bill but Darryl can play better than Bill with both hand tied behind his back. You can to any local bar and see a better bass player than Wyman.

Yeah, what do you mean "play better"? A better walking bass? More fluid bass lines? Better mediatoring between Keith's timing and Charlie's drumming?

I sincerely doubt that.

Posted by: LastStopThisTown ()
Date: January 31, 2013 13:14

McQwerty
What do you think about Stones' sound with Darryl Jones on bass (since 1993)? Is it better or worse than sound with Bill Wyman?

I think it's sometimes different, but still very nice winking smiley

It's evident on Bill's HTW guest spot at the O2. The best way I can describe it is it sounded 'rounder' - it rolled!spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

SFM at Twickenham on Four Flicks, in my view, is Darryl and the Stones at their best.

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: January 31, 2013 13:45

GasLightStreet
No matter where yer from in the United States, to the Limeys yer a Yank. So yes in this case Chuck is a Yank even though he's from Georgia (although some southeners will kick your ass for saying that).

I know the reason behind Limey but what the hell is Yank from? How is it connected to calling people not from Europe etc a Yankee?

There is no consensus on where it comes from, but this is as good an explanation as any:

It is short for Yankee. The origin of Yankee has been the subject of much debate, but the most likely source is the Dutch name Janke, meaning 'little Jan' or 'little John,' a nickname that dates back to the 1680s. Perhaps because it was used as the name of pirates,the name Yankee came to be used as a term of contempt. It was used this way in the 1750s by General James Wolfe, the British general who secured British domination of North America by defeating the French at Quebec. The name may have been applied to New Englanders as an extension of an original use referring to Dutch settlers living along the Hudson River. Whatever the reason, Yankee is first recorded in 1765 as a name for an inhabitant of New England. The first recorded use of the term by the British to refer to Americans in general appears in the 1780s, in a letter by Lord Horatio Nelson, no less. Around the same time it began to be abbreviated to Yank. During the American Revolution, American soldiers adopted this term of derision as a term of national pride. The derisive use nonetheless remained alive and even intensified in the South during the Civil War, when it referred not to all Americans but to those loyal to the Union.

I do know that you still don't want to call a southerner a yankee, they won't take kindly to it. I love the George Cohan song yankee doodle boy, sung by James Cagney in the old movie by the same name. OT, but it's a nice way to start the day...

Date: January 31, 2013 14:07

i still vote for jefferson davis for president every election....on principle.

Posted by: Markdog ()
Date: January 31, 2013 15:35

These 2 videos alone show why Darryl isn't the right bass player for the Stones. Yes, he plays the simple 2 chord song fine but the Stone's sound is gone, the feel is all wrong in my opinion.

It's subjective but Bill was a one of a kind bass player in style and feel and was the Stone's sound. I personally hear and feel the difference loud and clear.

Mark

marcovandereijk
I think their sound has changed by a lot of factors, Darryl just being one of them.
Listening to recording with Bill on bass, I am many times impressed by the way he made
songs "jump" or something like that. I don't have the words nor knowledge to describe
it better. Darryl makes the songs "sway".

These video's show what I mean:

Date: January 31, 2013 15:50

Markdog
These 2 videos alone show why Darryl isn't the right bass player for the Stones. Yes, he plays the simple 2 chord song fine but the Stone's sound is gone, the feel is all wrong in my opinion.

It's subjective but Bill was a one of a kind bass player in style and feel and was the Stone's sound. I personally hear and feel the difference loud and clear.

Mark

marcovandereijk
I think their sound has changed by a lot of factors, Darryl just being one of them.
Listening to recording with Bill on bass, I am many times impressed by the way he made
songs "jump" or something like that. I don't have the words nor knowledge to describe
it better. Darryl makes the songs "sway".

These video's show what I mean:

'whip' has a third chord but who's counting..

smiling smiley

Date: January 31, 2013 16:08

I am not a musician so the rationale of opinion is just feeling.

Darry is light years from Bill technically speaking. Ok. And he seems an excellent person.

But...Bill's sound comes from some far and deep and hidden place (so to speak) and emerges misteriously to surface.

I know you will laugh at my view, I do not mind. My view is: rolling stones music is basically sex (ok, stones music is more than sex but it is also sex and largely sex). For example, anyone hearing 1972 bootlegs or watch the short 1972 live perfomance part in Crossfire Hurricane can confirm it. And if rolling stones have a member who knows about sex is Bill. Blues and sex made everything. (ok drugs also did, but Keith and others managed that side of the business in the band, Bill was not needed for that role).

Nowadays stones music cannot be the same and Darryl's biography is not Bill's so...this is the whole explanation about the bass sound nowadays. Darryl loves jazz and practises meditation DURING the tours (he said that in an interview).Healthy but it can not provide the same feeling as Bill provided.

Date: January 31, 2013 16:15

emotionalbarbecue
I am not a musician so the rationale of opinion is just feeling.

Darry is light years from Bill technically speaking. Ok. And he seems an excellent person.

But...Bill's sound comes from some far and deep and hidden place (so to speak) and emerges misteriously to surface.

I know you will laugh at my view, I do not mind. My view is: rolling stones music is basically sex (ok, stones music is more than sex but it is also sex and largely sex). For example, anyone hearing 1972 bootlegs or watch the short 1972 live perfomance part in Crossfire Hurricane can confirm it. And if rolling stones have a member who knows about sex is Bill. Blues and sex made everything. (ok drugs also did, but Keith and others managed that side of the business in the band, Bill was not needed for that role).

Nowadays stones music cannot be the same and Darryl's biography is not Bill's so...this is the whole explanation about the bass sound nowadays. Darryl loves jazz and practises meditation DURING the tours (he said that in an interview).Healthy but it can not provide the same feeling as Bill provided.

...you said "member'...heh heh..

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: January 31, 2013 20:22

Watching those two videos I thought immediately that Bill is active, and Darryl passive. Bill knows where his space is, he fill it and propels the band forward. If such a thing is possible, Bill's bass has a personality. Darryl is just laying down the bottom. You can listen to Bill's bass and be enthralled, entertained, whatever. There's no point in listening to Darryl's bass. There's no there, there.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: January 31, 2013 20:45

I really can't recall any Stones song* after '93 with "O Man!!!" that was good or amazing, I should play all the records to check it out.................

* except from the live 2013 show "The Last Time" was amazing

Posted by: McQwerty ()
Date: February 1, 2013 23:11

NICOS
I really can't recall any Stones song* after '93 with "O Man!!!" that was good or amazing, I should play all the records to check it out.................

* except from the live 2013 show "The Last Time" was amazing

You know, Darryl is good bass player... not as good as Bill, but that's not the first reason of why I love Bill... I love him at first becouse he's true rolling stone... then, it's becouse of sound, of course.

But I think they are still good and it's good that they didn't stop in '93... we saw that they still can do a nice job, without Bill... and, yes, I'm sure that they were even better with old good Billie winking smiley

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: February 1, 2013 23:53

24FPS
Watching those two videos I thought immediately that Bill is active, and Darryl passive. Bill knows where his space is, he fill it and propels the band forward. If such a thing is possible, Bill's bass has a personality. Darryl is just laying down the bottom. You can listen to Bill's bass and be enthralled, entertained, whatever. There's no point in listening to Darryl's bass. There's no there, there.

Even before John Entwistle, Bill was among the first to make the bass a distinctive-sounding feature on records. The most notable example is the "dive-bombing" bass runs on the playout of 19th Nervous Breakdown. He knew when to keep the bass playing subtle and when to make it almost like a lead guitar feature. Another example is the sliding bass lines during Paint It, Black [shown at 3:35 in the live 1990 video below]. These are distinctive features of certain Rolling Stones songs that, if played for the first time on record by Darryl, just wouldn't have the same.... personality in the presentation of the music.

Posted by: DoomandGloom ()
Date: February 2, 2013 04:44

"Bill was among the first to make the bass a distinctive-sounding feature on records." Stone you are spot on. Guitarists, we think we think of everything, subliminally follow and respond to a powerful personality on Bass.

Goto Page: Previous1234
Current Page: 4 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1126
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home