Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4
Stones' sound with Darryl
Posted by: McQwerty ()
Date: January 28, 2013 11:40

What do you think about Stones' sound with Darryl Jones on bass (since 1993)? Is it better or worse than sound with Bill Wyman?

I think it's sometimes different, but still very nice winking smiley

Re: Stones' sound with Darryl
Posted by: Vocalion ()
Date: January 28, 2013 11:43

Worse. his sound fits Don Was, not the Stones.

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: January 28, 2013 12:02

Don't know since Charlie also is a jazz-drummer...I think they're great together...Keith wouldn't have accepted it in other cases...

2 1 2 0

Posted by: marcovandereijk ()
Date: January 28, 2013 12:54

I think their sound has changed by a lot of factors, Darryl just being one of them.
Listening to recording with Bill on bass, I am many times impressed by the way he made
songs "jump" or something like that. I don't have the words nor knowledge to describe
it better. Darryl makes the songs "sway".

These video's show what I mean:

Just as long as the guitar plays, let it steal your heart away

Posted by: uhbuhgullayew ()
Date: January 28, 2013 13:00

McQwerty
What do you think about Stones' sound with Darryl Jones on bass (since 1993)? Is it better or worse than sound with Bill Wyman?

I think it's sometimes different, but still very nice winking smiley

Worse.

Posted by: rollmops ()
Date: January 28, 2013 13:32

marcovandereijk
I think their sound has changed by a lot of factors, Darryl just being one of them.
Listening to recording with Bill on bass, I am many times impressed by the way he made
songs "jump" or something like that. I don't have the words nor knowledge to describe
it better. Darryl makes the songs "sway".

These video's show what I mean:

Great point Marco! I believe that Bill early years even pre-stones music experience comes handy on song like "When the whip..." Bill used to play and listen old rock and roll/rockabilly/jump blues music. You are right,Bill's rythm jumps and run whereas Darryl "hold on" the notes which creates more of a Shuffle rythm type. Both are cool but Bill's bass lines makes the song take off a lot more than what Darryl does.
Rock and roll,
Mops

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: January 28, 2013 13:40

worse

Posted by: buffalo7478 ()
Date: January 28, 2013 15:51

Bill's studio playing is great. In 1994 I immediately felt more power from the bass, especially with Street Fighting Man.

But I def agree that Bill's style jumped more. I am sure that toward the end, he was just bored and along for the ride. I get the impression that sonically, Darryl is just providing a backdrop, trying not to stand out. Not helping make anything jump. For an old nerdy looking guy, Bill had funk.

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: January 28, 2013 15:57

its rocked around the world for 20 years with Darryl

it is what it is. still not sure I agree with Dylan's (offhand) remark about the Stones turning into a funk band after Bill retired.

Posted by: Send It To me ()
Date: January 28, 2013 16:31

better live, not sure about studio

Posted by: T&A ()
Date: January 28, 2013 17:06

duke richardson

it is what it is. still not sure I agree with Dylan's (offhand) remark about the Stones turning into a funk band after Bill retired.

you should stop thinking about that now. move on to other offhand comments and let this one go.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: January 28, 2013 17:10

This thread was right next to the Jackson Browne thread, so I opened it thinking Darryl Hannah had duetted with Mick on a track.

Date: January 28, 2013 17:12

treaclefingers
This thread was right next to the Jackson Browne thread, so I opened it thinking Darryl Hannah had duetted with Mick on a track.

on memory motel...hannah honey was peach kinda girl...eyes were hazel and she was bashed by jackson browne...

Date: January 28, 2013 17:13

T&A
duke richardson

you should stop thinking about that now. move on to other offhand comments and let this one go.
OK Tod, I'll do that.

Date: January 28, 2013 17:16

T&A
treaclefingers

on memory motel...hannah honey was peach kinda girl...eyes were hazel and she was bashed by jackson browne...

I see, so what you're saying is that when Micks says her nose was slightly curved, it had in fact been broken, and on the later verse, when Mick says her teeth was slightly curved, in fact that was Jackson again, and required dental reconstructive surgery.

Date: January 28, 2013 17:19

treaclefingers
T&A
treaclefingers

I see, so what you're saying is that when Micks says her nose was slightly curved, it had in fact been broken, and on the later verse, when Mick says her teeth was slightly curved, in fact that was Jackson again, and required dental reconstructive surgery.

mhm. but he couldn't fidn a way to put "dental reconstuctive surgery" into verse without ruining the cadence....

"you've...just had dental reconstructive surgery-y-y"

in the end, it was best left on the cutting room floor...

Posted by: NoCode0680 ()
Date: January 28, 2013 17:42

It's kind of hard to say, as the band as a whole has changed over the years. Musicianship has declined some over the years, even with Keith paying more attention and trying harder, they still aren't as hot as they were when they were younger. Still a great band, but time does take its toll. Having said all of that, Darryl is possibly the most technically skilled musician on the stage. "One More Shot" definitely gave me a greater appreciation of Darryl's skill, since he could be heard better than on most recordings. With Bill leaving and Darryl coming in, bass guitar has for the most part taken a back seat. It's lower in the mix, and mainly there to anchor the band, although they let Darryl loose from time to time. But I don't think Darryl's potential has been realized. It's just the reality of having a salaried bass player who is a sideman. You can't very well have a salary musician showing up the rest of the band. Plus, Darryl basically has to do what he's told, whereas Bill had more swing as an original member, though I realize not THAT much. I think if Bill were still in the band we'd have better bass lines, not because I think Bill is more skilled than Darryl, but because you'd have a bass player with a more prominent role in the band as opposed to an employee who works for the band.

Date: January 28, 2013 18:03

NoCode0680
It's kind of hard to say, as the band as a whole has changed over the years. Musicianship has declined some over the years, even with Keith paying more attention and trying harder, they still aren't as hot as they were when they were younger. Still a great band, but time does take its toll. Having said all of that, Darryl is possibly the most technically skilled musician on the stage. "One More Shot" definitely gave me a greater appreciation of Darryl's skill, since he could be heard better than on most recordings. With Bill leaving and Darryl coming in, bass guitar has for the most part taken a back seat. It's lower in the mix, and mainly there to anchor the band, although they let Darryl loose from time to time. But I don't think Darryl's potential has been realized. It's just the reality of having a salaried bass player who is a sideman. You can't very well have a salary musician showing up the rest of the band. Plus, Darryl basically has to do what he's told, whereas Bill had more swing as an original member, though I realize not THAT much. I think if Bill were still in the band we'd have better bass lines, not because I think Bill is more skilled than Darryl, but because you'd have a bass player with a more prominent role in the band as opposed to an employee who works for the band.

cogent analysis. not sure they tell him what to play though. I think they all play whatever they want at this point and it either sounds good or if not, they know and try something else.

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: January 28, 2013 18:08

I like the sound better with Bill but Darryl can play better than Bill with both hand tied behind his back. You can to any local bar and see a better bass player than Wyman.

Posted by: NoCode0680 ()
Date: January 28, 2013 18:14

duke richardson
NoCode0680

cogent analysis. not sure they tell him what to play though. I think they all play whatever they want at this point and it either sounds good or if not, they know and try something else.

That may be, I'm not sure what the studio process is like these days. The bass lines don't sound like what I would think Darryl unleashed would sound like, but maybe he purposely plays low-key. I was also thinking of albums like ABB, where Mick and Keith play bass on 6 of the songs. Which leaves Darryl live playing bass lines written/played by guys who aren't even bassists.

Date: January 28, 2013 18:37

T&A
treaclefingers
T&A
treaclefingers

mhm. but he couldn't fidn a way to put "dental reconstuctive surgery" into verse without ruining the cadence....

"you've...just had dental reconstructive surgery-y-y"

in the end, it was best left on the cutting room floor...

On the bright side, saved it from being a 12 minute song, or worse, going the 'Dance' route....If I Was A Seaside Resort(Memory Motel Pt. 2)

Posted by: CousinC ()
Date: January 28, 2013 18:47

More Hot Rocks
I like the sound better with Bill but Darryl can play better than Bill with both hand tied behind his back. You can to any local bar and see a better bass player than Wyman.

Well, if you want to see it that way it goes for all of them more or less.

Date: January 28, 2013 18:51

More Hot Rocks

you can go to any local bar and see better guitar players than keith and ron.

what's your point again?

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: January 28, 2013 19:08

Please let me know where is your local bar. Can't see any Rons Keiths or Darryls in mine, not even something close, not even a close wannabe ...

C

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: January 28, 2013 19:12

liddas
Please let me know where is your local bar. Can't see any Rons Keiths or Darryls in mine, not even something close, not even a close wannabe ...

C

Sorry to hear that.

Posted by: witterings ()
Date: January 28, 2013 19:16

Before you speak about "better" (guitar)Players, you have to define what is "better"

1. Is it technically
2. Is it musically

Maybe you will find a few Guitar-/Bassplayer, which are better, acc. Point 1.
But I doubt you will find a few Guitar-/Bassplayer, which are better, acc. Point 2.

I mean really .....

It`s nice to be here, .....

Date: January 28, 2013 19:36

T&A
More Hot Rocks

you can go to any local bar and see better guitar players than keith and ron.

what's your point again?

You don't see a lot of 70 years olds leapin' about like mick tho'.

At least not in the local bar.

Posted by: benon again ()
Date: January 28, 2013 19:37

I`m sick of hearing "Daryll is better technically than Bill".What does it mean? STeve Vai is better technically than Keith - so f..... what? I think we play in another game....Do not repeate stereotypes.There`s no reason to not like Daryll but Wyman is 5000X better in this band.Daryl is trying to rock but there`s no "roll" and absolutely no swing.The first Stones Tour with Daryll was the beginning of big dissapointement of contemporary Stones.
There are however few newer recorded songs working well with Daryll like Love is Strong.

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: January 28, 2013 19:40

Different - you can like it or not

Date: January 28, 2013 19:48

witterings
Before you speak about "better" (guitar)Players, you have to define what is "better"

no i don't. i just speak. it's easy.

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1055
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home