Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4
Re: Stones' sound with Darryl
Date: January 30, 2013 15:31

seitan
Darryl is well educated, academic jazz player...and Bill Wyman was a punk rock n roll player...Rolling Stones are rock n roll band ...so why on earth they decided to have this jazz guy ? - It's like.. having Eddie Van Halen replace Keith, - sorry -it wouldnt be the same

There is much jazz in Bill's playing, but not the kind of jazz you'll find in Darryl's playing. They have obviously been drawing inspiration from musicians of different decades.

Posted by: T&A ()
Date: January 30, 2013 16:00

and i'm sure i speak for the community when i say we miss the bass player who would just stand there, play while chewing gum and with that disdained look on his face, suggesting he'd rather be anywhere else. the band just doesn't feel right without that disdaining look.

Date: January 30, 2013 16:02

T&A
and i'm sure i speak for the community when i say we miss the bass player who would just stand there, play while chewing gum and with that disdained look on his face, suggesting he'd rather be anywhere else. the band just doesn't feel right without that disdaining look.

Coolest image ever!

Date: January 30, 2013 16:07

DandelionPowderman
T&A

Coolest image ever!

it was. sigh. i'm getting a little verklempt here....

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: January 30, 2013 16:12

he wasn't just standing there. he was appraising the front rows of the audience...

Posted by: stonesdan60 ()
Date: January 30, 2013 16:16

Stoneage
Surely it must be some kind of record for a bass player to be in a band for twenty years and still not be considered an official member?
He's been with the band for a longer period than Brian Jones and Mick Taylor put together.

The thing is...hes not "in the band" anymore than Chuck L. or Bobby Keys are. Nevermind that he's been on every tour since Wyman left. The official Stones have chosen not to replace Wyman with another member. When they decide to work, they call D. Jones and he comes to work for them for whatever salary they're choosing to pay him. Even Ron Wood was not made a full member until the early 90's. Mick and Keith don't share the wealth very freely.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: January 30, 2013 17:01

duke richardson
its rocked around the world for 20 years with Darryl

it is what it is. still not sure I agree with Dylan's (offhand) remark about the Stones turning into a funk band after Bill retired.

What if it was a offfoot remark instead?

Posted by: DoomandGloom ()
Date: January 30, 2013 17:04

stonesdan60
Stoneage
Surely it must be some kind of record for a bass player to be in a band for twenty years and still not be considered an official member?
He's been with the band for a longer period than Brian Jones and Mick Taylor put together.

The thing is...hes not "in the band" anymore than Chuck L. or Bobby Keys are. Nevermind that he's been on every tour since Wyman left. The official Stones have chosen not to replace Wyman with another member. When they decide to work, they call D. Jones and he comes to work for them for whatever salary they're choosing to pay him. Even Ron Wood was not made a full member until the early 90's. Mick and Keith don't share the wealth very freely.
The learned from Taylor quitting that full "membership" is messy and unnecessary.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: January 30, 2013 17:18

Someone said the "roll" disappeared with Bill. Maybe that's it?

Posted by: uhbuhgullayew ()
Date: January 30, 2013 17:19

T&A
DandelionPowderman
T&A

Coolest image ever!

it was. sigh. i'm getting a little verklempt here....

thumbs up

Date: January 30, 2013 17:24

Stoneage
Someone said the "roll" disappeared with Bill. Maybe that's it?

no. no. no. no roll. upon further review it was determined that the WOBBLE disappeared. The WOBBLE. please keep up.

Date: January 30, 2013 17:31

DoomandGloom
treaclefingers
uhbuhgullayew
DoomandGloom
Darryl does not lead the band or is not allowed to lead the band as a proper bass player should. His does not define choruses of section changes as well as Bill did and it is one of the causes of many of the train wrecks The Stones are making a habit of.

Hmmm, who else is responsible for these "wrecks"?

None...I think we can agree this is all completely Darryl's fault.
Nope there are other reasons but it's a great bassists responsibility to make those mistakes impossible or less probable. He does not make the impact Bill did as Bill was very definite about sections sometimes using long swipes like Enthwistle (Whoop, Whoop). I heard a clip of Keith and Ron with Willie Weeks, where's that guy???? Clapton and Neil Young for instance change sidemen from time to time to keep things fresh, Stones are likely too lazy but at the very least Chuck should be featured on grand piano, he's out of his element as keyboard tech geek and he's much too fine a pianist to be wasted in the mud. Considering Chuck's knowledge of the material he should be allowed to do what few can do on a real piano.

What a bunch of crap that is. Most bloated inaccuracy of 2013. Darryl should be leading and preventing them from the trainwrecks Keith causes? Chuck should be on a real piano? Chuck should be FIRED.

Posted by: scaffer ()
Date: January 30, 2013 17:32

I was 4th row B stage in Atlantic City. Darryl was playing with a pick and his attack was REALLY driving the beat. I had read that Charlie chose Darryl, not necessarily because Darryl had played with a lot of jazz greats (a fact which Charlie reportedly admired), but because Darryl's style pushed the rhythm section.

The above said, Bill's departure has made me increasingly appreciate the booming, simpler lines he played all those years. On the live boots he's fabulously solid.

So, more than respect for Darryl, but would love it if Bill miraculously decided to come out of retirement.

Date: January 30, 2013 17:33

24FPS
NoCode0680
24FPS
Darryl's a hired hand. He sold out to the big money of the Stones.

That's kind of a silly thing to say. Hired hand yes, but sold out? Because he can make a decent living now? Besides, The Stones weren't the first high profile gig he took, he was touring with Sting in the 80's and with Madonna in 1990. Why does the Stones gig make him a sell-out?

I just think he's a lazy musician in relation to his work with the Stones. Either he can't, or doesn't care enough to put his own stamp on the music. This is a band of idiosyncratic players. Except for Taylor they were not especially technical giants. But they all had a feel. All right, maybe he's not a sell out for the Stones. Maybe he's just a sell out in general. It's not because he's black. In fact it's confounding that a black bass player can't come in and give a little swing to the Stones rhythm section. But he doesn't. Sonny Rollins came in and added to the sound and walked away with 'Waiting On A Friend'.

Maybe sell out isn't a good term. But he's not a great artist either as a part of the most incredible rhythm section in rock, or even a top tier member of the great Stones sidemen. It's akin to replacing Keith Moon with Kenney Jones; it had to be done but it wasn't done right.

Have you heard anything since Bill quit that is worthy of putting a stamp on?

Date: January 30, 2013 17:34

GasLightStreet
DoomandGloom
treaclefingers
uhbuhgullayew
DoomandGloom
Darryl does not lead the band or is not allowed to lead the band as a proper bass player should. His does not define choruses of section changes as well as Bill did and it is one of the causes of many of the train wrecks The Stones are making a habit of.

Nope there are other reasons but it's a great bassists responsibility to make those mistakes impossible or less probable. He does not make the impact Bill did as Bill was very definite about sections sometimes using long swipes like Enthwistle (Whoop, Whoop). I heard a clip of Keith and Ron with Willie Weeks, where's that guy???? Clapton and Neil Young for instance change sidemen from time to time to keep things fresh, Stones are likely too lazy but at the very least Chuck should be featured on grand piano, he's out of his element as keyboard tech geek and he's much too fine a pianist to be wasted in the mud. Considering Chuck's knowledge of the material he should be allowed to do what few can do on a real piano.

What a bunch of crap that is. Most bloated inaccuracy of 2013. Darryl should be leading and preventing them from the trainwrecks Keith causes? Chuck should be on a real piano? Chuck should be FIRED.

it's all crap - i see no reason to preface one's comment with such a clause. it's a given....

Date: January 30, 2013 17:50

DoomandGloom
Bill's playing on Brussels is all you need to know.. He is a pioneer and a force to be reckoned with... Darryl's just not that good. In 20 years he should have made an impact and place for himself.

Sidemen don't make impacts and places for themselves in the manner you dramatic thinkers are thinking of.

Posted by: uhbuhgullayew ()
Date: January 30, 2013 17:53

GasLightStreet
DoomandGloom
treaclefingers
uhbuhgullayew
DoomandGloom

Any other inaccuracies so far in 2013 that can challenge this one?

Date: January 30, 2013 17:54

T&A
GasLightStreet
DoomandGloom
treaclefingers
uhbuhgullayew
DoomandGloom

it's all crap - i see no reason to preface one's comment with such a clause. it's a given....

It was a postface on that so amazingly ignorant comment! It's so out of touch it needed a postface comment.

Date: January 30, 2013 17:59

GasLightStreet
T&A
GasLightStreet
DoomandGloom
treaclefingers
uhbuhgullayew
DoomandGloom

It was a postface on that so amazingly ignorant comment! It's so out of touch it needed a postface comment.

ok. but this is a dangerous precedence-setting move that could have major extended storage impact for this site. amazingly ignorant comments are now the rule rather than the exception, you know....

Date: January 30, 2013 18:07

uhbuhgullayew
GasLightStreet
DoomandGloom
treaclefingers
uhbuhgullayew
DoomandGloom

Any other inaccuracies so far in 2013 that can challenge this one?

Not that I have seen and if there are then ONLY if they are more bloated. Underblotation will not be accepted. It is still the first month of the year though. So it's the inaugural statement. Certainly it will be amended.

Date: January 30, 2013 18:09

T&A
GasLightStreet
T&A
GasLightStreet
DoomandGloom
treaclefingers
uhbuhgullayew
DoomandGloom

ok. but this is a dangerous precedence-setting move that could have major extended storage impact for this site. amazingly ignorant comments are now the rule rather than the exception, you know....

Are you saying it's... NOOOOOO!!!!!!!! Global Ignoranting!!!???

How can it be stopped?

Date: January 30, 2013 18:15

GasLightStreet
T&A
GasLightStreet
T&A
GasLightStreet
DoomandGloom
treaclefingers
uhbuhgullayew
DoomandGloom

How can it be stopped?

it can only be done at the polls. the power of the vote can never be replaced...

Date: January 30, 2013 18:17

T&A
GasLightStreet
T&A
GasLightStreet
T&A
GasLightStreet
DoomandGloom
treaclefingers
uhbuhgullayew
DoomandGloom

How can it be stopped?

it can only be done at the polls. the power of the vote can never be replaced...

What about Ignorant Credits? Can they be bought, even though that's a scam too?

Date: January 30, 2013 18:23

T&A
GasLightStreet
T&A
GasLightStreet
DoomandGloom
treaclefingers
uhbuhgullayew
DoomandGloom

Well I'm willing to take my lumps here and have respect for you guys but I stand firm that Darrell is not a rocker or not allowed to do his job properly. Chuck is a fish out of water as multi keyboard player, he fell into this role with Clapton. On the reverse he's one of the greatest rock pianists alive. I'm curious as to why you'd want him chucked. perhaps it's personal? Maybe they shouldn't hire "yanks". Peace...

Date: January 30, 2013 18:30

DoomandGloom
T&A
GasLightStreet
T&A
GasLightStreet
DoomandGloom
treaclefingers
uhbuhgullayew
DoomandGloom

Well I'm willing to take my lumps here and have respect for you guys but I stand firm that Darrell is not a rocker or not allowed to do his job properly. Chuck is a fish out of water as multi keyboard player, he fell into this role with Clapton. On the reverse he's one of the greatest rock pianists alive. I'm curious as to why you'd want him chucked. perhaps it's personal? Maybe they shouldn't hire "yanks". Peace...

hmmm...chuck a yank? a redneck, perhaps...but no yank.

Date: January 30, 2013 18:36

T&A
DoomandGloom
T&A
GasLightStreet
T&A
GasLightStreet
DoomandGloom
treaclefingers
uhbuhgullayew
DoomandGloom

hmmm...chuck a yank? a redneck, perhaps...but no yank.
I meant American. I think he's from Louisiana. Nice guy I thought.

Date: January 30, 2013 18:41

i think he's from georgia. what does everyone else think?

Date: January 30, 2013 18:43

Maybe The Stones should learn "Jessica."drinking smiley

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: January 30, 2013 18:46

T&A

georgia. the man is from georgia.

and Darryl is from Chicago.

lots of good music out of those two cities..

Date: January 30, 2013 18:48

duke richardson
T&A

georgia. the man is from georgia.

and Darryl is from Chicago.

lots of good music out of those two cities..

the georgia city blues...who could forget that one?

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1439
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home