Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 4 of 5
Re: Track Talk: Monkey Man
Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: January 31, 2013 12:51

His Majesty
Love the music and performances, dislike the crappy lyrics.

What's crappy about them? Don't they perfectly capture a narcotic junkie world of disillusioned nihilism?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2013-01-31 15:17 by Silver Dagger.

Date: January 31, 2013 13:29

soulsurvivor1
Man..I wish the Stones Guitars still sounded like this...
Nice & Bitey...A Bit Distorted and LOUD in the MIX....

SOUL

But they do!

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: January 31, 2013 13:34

Green Lady
duke richardson
T&A
His Majesty

yeah, but that argument can be made for almost all stones songs. kings of the crappy lyrics....luckily we rarely care.

i was going to say ..the lyrics are another instrument in the song. imagine if anyone else would try this song..i don't know..maybe Steven Tyler could sing it..

Steven Tyler? - ouch!

Here's Phish having a pretty creditable go at a cover, so you can hear what that vocal does sound like with a different singer.

i do like the way them Phish boys do Stones..

love the Exile they did. really great band.

Date: January 31, 2013 14:03

duke richardson
Green Lady
duke richardson
T&A
His Majesty

yeah, but that argument can be made for almost all stones songs. kings of the crappy lyrics....luckily we rarely care.

i was going to say ..the lyrics are another instrument in the song. imagine if anyone else would try this song..i don't know..maybe Steven Tyler could sing it..

Steven Tyler? - ouch!

Here's Phish having a pretty creditable go at a cover, so you can hear what that vocal does sound like with a different singer.

i do like the way them Phish boys do Stones..

love the Exile they did. really great band.

Although Phish is a good band, watching their covers always make me appreciate how great Mick and Keith really are. No one can sing Monkey Man like Mick, and even with the right chords and riffs, no one can sound like Keith.

Posted by: T&A ()
Date: January 31, 2013 14:08

nobody better even dare try to diss phish on my board here. best band ever.

Date: January 31, 2013 14:34

T&A
nobody better even dare try to diss phish on my board here. best cover band from Vermont ever.

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: January 31, 2013 14:37

Posted by: rattler2004 ()
Date: January 31, 2013 19:22

Green Lady
duke richardson
T&A
His Majesty

Steven Tyler? - ouch!

I prefer The Black Crowes covering the Stones over Phish. That being stated, the studio version of this song will forever be to me the high water mark, just as the studio versions of Loving Cup, Moonlight Mile, Sway & CYHMK.

the shoot 'em dead, brainbell jangler!

Date: January 31, 2013 19:25

i used to like this song before this thread was started. now, i'm gonna skip it everytime...

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: January 31, 2013 19:54

T&A
i used to like this song before this thread was started. now, i'm gonna skip it everytime...

Have fun!

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: January 31, 2013 22:39

T&A

Pish on Phish. Boring Bland & Tepid is what they should really be called.

There. I did diss on them. That's not trying.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: January 31, 2013 23:19

Rockman
crappy lyrics....yeah definitly the kinda
rock song that woulda worked way better with some fun lovin'
lyrics like say Lonesome Death of Hattie Carrol or Masters Of War...

The lyrics don't match the quality of the playing or the tone of the music.

Meaningless nonsense over liquid gold.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: January 31, 2013 23:30

..... Heck HM maybe ya should contact Mr Penniman...A-wop-bop-a-loo-mop-a-wop-bam-boom

ROCKMAN

Posted by: MKjan ()
Date: January 31, 2013 23:36

Love the song, music and lyrics... fits great in a r'n'r pantheon...conjures up,
chaos, fun, our monkey ways,not meaningless nonsense but how meaningless life could be, as in how people can take a great fun song and take it all wrong...their loss.

Date: January 31, 2013 23:36

Rockman
..... Heck HM maybe ya should contact Mr Penniman...A-wop-bop-a-loo-mop-a-wop-bam-boom

That goes with the music. spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: January 31, 2013 23:39

T&A

With this posting you've crossed from irrationally bizarre to irresponsibly insane...

Date: February 1, 2013 00:07

GasLightStreet
T&A

Pish on Phish. Boring Bland & Tepid is what they should really be called.

There. I did diss on them. That's not trying.

when all this bad stuff starts happening to you, which should begin anytime now - you'll understand why, ok?

Date: February 1, 2013 00:18

Munichhilton
T&A

With this posting you've crossed from irrationally bizarre to irresponsibly insane...

can someone be responsibly insane? i'd prefer that if possible...

Posted by: CindyC ()
Date: February 1, 2013 00:38

I saw something yesterday that said The the Kinks "Apeman" came out in 1970 (too lazy to verify).

For those that were around back then, what was the reaction, to have Monkey Man come out and Apeman the very next year? Did they get a lot of crap for copying?

"I'm a monkey man" vs. "I'm an ape man, i'm an ape ape man".

Wasn't looking too good, but I was feeling real well.

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: February 1, 2013 02:24

No I don't think The Kinks got any flack for Apeman. It sounds nothing like Monkey Man. It was released as a single and went to number five in the UK, and was quite popular. A great song, who's lyrics are nothing like Monkey Man as well. It is about alienation of city life and the rat race. Great great Kinks track, with a fantastic version on To the Bone as well.

[www.youtube.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-02-01 03:40 by whitem8.

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: February 1, 2013 03:21

Toots and the Maytals do a song called Monkey Man too. Different song, same title. I like it...its fun.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-02-01 03:23 by ryanpow.

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: February 1, 2013 08:52

The Maytals song came out in 1969. Very popular and well-known in the UK.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: February 1, 2013 11:20

Funny thing is that this track was recorded in the small room in Olympics, not the big room, and that all engineers etc. really didn't like the sound of the track. They urged the Stones to re-record it in the big room, but they refused.

Mathijs

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: February 1, 2013 13:51

As I've already noted, I love this track, whacked-out lyrics and all -
but I agree with HM that they don't fit the glorious shining music.
The music would suit one of those deep timeless themes, like Gimmie Shelter or SFTD,
and although these lyrics contain some amusing and memorable lines, the concept is "small"
and a lot of the words (the refrain and outro, for example) are just silly. It's a weird combination.

But in 1969 the Glimmer Twins had glorious shining music and timeless lyrics falling out of their pockets,
all at the age of not-quite-26, and they could do what they wanted with them.

I love the Rolling Stones.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-02-01 21:55 by with sssoul.

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: February 1, 2013 14:08

Just having another listen to the song and the lyrics kind of invoke the spirit of Brian, especially the drugged out shadow of his former self that he'd become. Brian apparently didn't like the psychedelic direction the Stones had taken and wanted to return to the band's r'n'b and bluesy roots.

It's particularly the line "I hope we're not too messianic or a trifle too SATANIC - WE LOVE TO PLAY THE BLUES" that makes me think of him.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-02-01 19:04 by Silver Dagger.

Posted by: marcovandereijk ()
Date: February 1, 2013 14:53

Silver Dagger

"I hope we're not too messianic or a trifle too satanic - we love to play the blues"

I wouldn't know about any reference to Brian here, but I must say that this line is
one of utter beauty to me and saves the lyrics completely.
It would be a nice title for a biography of the band, I'd say, though a bit over long.

Just as long as the guitar plays, let it steal your heart away

Date: February 1, 2013 15:11

Silver Dagger
Just having another listen to the song and the lyrics kind of invoke the spirit of Brian, especially the drugged out shadow of his former self that he'd become. Brian apparently didn't like the psychedelic direction the Stones had taken and wanted to return to the band's r'n'b anfd bluesy roots.

It's particularly the line "I hope we're not too messianic or a trifle too SATANIC - WE LOVE TO PLAY THE BLUES" that makes me think of him.

That's a paradox, as Brian was the best musician in the Stones to utilise instruments and arrangements leading to that psyhedelic sound.

Date: February 1, 2013 18:39

with sssoul
As I've already noted, I love this track, whacked-out lyrics and all -
but I agree with HM that they don't fit the glorious shining music.
The music would suit one of those deep timeless themes, like Gimmie Shelter or SFTD,
and although these lyrics contain some amusing and memorable lines, the concept is "small"
and a lot of the words (the refrain and outro, for example) are just silly. It's a weird combintation.

Exactly where I was coming from! thumbs up

Date: February 1, 2013 18:42

DandelionPowderman
Silver Dagger
Just having another listen to the song and the lyrics kind of invoke the spirit of Brian, especially the drugged out shadow of his former self that he'd become. Brian apparently didn't like the psychedelic direction the Stones had taken and wanted to return to the band's r'n'b anfd bluesy roots.

That's a paradox, as Brian was the best musician in the Stones to utilise instruments and arrangements leading to that psyhedelic sound.

Tis, but one of the many contradictions about him.

Posted by: CindyC ()
Date: February 1, 2013 19:12

with sssoul
and a lot of the words (the refrain and outro, for example) are just silly.

I agree with sssoul. The first time I heard it was when Tattoo You came out and I figured it was a new song on the album, and as he's doing the monkey bit at the end i thought it was stupid and I was actually kind of embarrassed.

I don't mind it anymore.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 4 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2012
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home