Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345
Current Page: 5 of 5
Re: Track Talk: Monkey Man
Posted by: T&A ()
Date: February 1, 2013 19:26

CindyC
with sssoul
and a lot of the words (the refrain and outro, for example) are just silly.

I agree with sssoul. The first time I heard it was when Tattoo You came out and I figured it was a new song on the album, and as he's doing the monkey bit at the end i thought it was stupid and I was actually kind of embarrassed.

I don't mind it anymore.

that's very forgiving of you...most people never recover from their embarrassing teenage moments....

Posted by: CindyC ()
Date: February 1, 2013 20:01

T&A
that's very forgiving of you...most people never recover from their embarrassing teenage moments....

it was a lot easier to forget things back then since you didn't post all your stupid shit on Facebook.

Date: February 1, 2013 20:22

CindyC
T&A

it was a lot easier to forget things back then since you didn't post all your stupid shit on Facebook.

didn't you hear that facebook is for losers? oh...oops...sorry....

Date: February 1, 2013 21:13

T&A

says the man who quick facebook because he only had 10 friends.

Posted by: Rev. Robert W. ()
Date: February 1, 2013 22:20

NoCode0680
The first time I heard this song is actually one of my more vivid memories from my youth. Not so much because hearing the song was some revelation or anything, although I did love it. I know it was either '97 or '96, because when I saw them at Texas Motor Speedway on B2B tour Monkey Man was on my wishlist for the set so I had heard it by then. Anyway, I was driving around smoking a joint with a few friends in my car listening to Let It Bleed, and we pulled into Taco Bell. We went inside and ate as teenagers with the munchies are prone to do at Taco Bell (I think teenagers with the munchies keep Taco Bell in business), and afterward we just sort of hung out in the parking lot cranking some tunes as high teenagers are also prone to do. Anyway, I had never listened to the album front to back, I was more of a skip around to songs I like person and hadn't discovered many tracks yet that aren't greatest hits. So Monkey Man comes on, and I wasn't really paying attention and one of my friends was like "Hang on...this song kicks ass", and the rest of us stopped for a minute and listened, we all agreed, and the next thing I know we're all dancing in the parking lot to The Stones. And I'm not a dancer, even as a kid. I think my dancing was mainly air guitar. Whenever I hear that song now it always reminds me of a bunch of teenagers back in the 90's smoking crap weed and dancing like idiots in a Taco Bell parking lot.

A great story about coming to grips in the best--the most fun--way with just how strong the Stones are...I had a similar experience in a parking lot with a bunch of friends and the Ya-Ya's album.

A little baffled about all the complaints re: "Monkey Man"'s lyrics. Just a laugh of Jagger bullshitting with a groupie ("thirteen years old...?") about their dirty bad-boy image. Also intriguing in that the words send up the posturing of "Jumpin' Jack Flash" a bit. They'd be idiots if they took themselves as seriously as so many of their fans do...

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: February 1, 2013 23:03

I'm cool with humour when it fits, but Gimme Shelter for example would have been vastly inferior had it had humour lyrics.

The music of Monkey Man is as powerful and deep as the music of Gimme Shelter, only reason Monkey Man is mostly just seen as an album track is down to the throw away lyrics.

Date: February 2, 2013 00:06

CindyC
T&A

says the man who quit facebook because he only had 10 friends.

they weren't friends.

Posted by: VT22 ()
Date: February 3, 2013 16:57

His Majesty
I'm cool with humour when it fits, but Gimme Shelter for example would have been vastly inferior had it had humour lyrics.

The music of Monkey Man is as powerful and deep as the music of Gimme Shelter, only reason Monkey Man is mostly just seen as an album track is down to the throw away lyrics.

Throw away lyrics? This is about the best match Ive ever heard when it comes to Jagger's voice and a Stones' backing track. The lyrics are just the plain truth, imo.winking smiley

Date: February 3, 2013 17:31

VT22
His Majesty

Throw away lyrics? This is about the best match Ive ever heard when it comes to Jagger's voice and a Stones' backing track. The lyrics are just the plain truth, imo.winking smiley

if that's the case - are all his friends junkies or not? we've been wonderin and scratchin our heads over this for 40-odd years now....

Date: February 3, 2013 18:46

T&A
VT22
His Majesty

if that's the case - are all his friends junkies or not? we've been wonderin and scratchin our heads over this for 40-odd years now....

I might be wrong, but my guess would be that the lyrics are about the human species basically being apes.

Date: February 3, 2013 18:49

VT22
T&A
VT22
His Majesty

I might be wrong, but my guess would be that the lyrics are about the human species basically being apes.

matthew harrison brady objects!

Date: February 3, 2013 18:56

T&A
VT22
T&A
VT22
His Majesty

matthew harrison brady objects!

Date: February 6, 2013 22:04

I just love this. Not sure where I got it, but it's the isolated right speaker only. I'm sure from some generous fellow IORRer (Erik maybe?).

The guitar sound here is FANTASTIC!!! Groovy and totally dirty.

[soundcloud.com]

Wasn't looking too good, but I was feeling real well.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: February 6, 2013 22:24

CindyC
I just love this. Not sure where I got it, but it's the isolated right speaker only. I'm sure from some generous fellow IORRer (Erik maybe?).

The guitar sound here is FANTASTIC!!! Groovy and totally dirty.

[soundcloud.com]

Keith-tastic! cool smiley

Goto Page: Previous12345
Current Page: 5 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2321
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home