Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 2 of 5
Re: Track Talk: Monkey Man
Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: January 28, 2013 20:24

pure awesomeness!

Posted by: T&A ()
Date: January 28, 2013 20:30

no song deserves such universal praise. let's see if we can nitpick a bit here and take it down a peg or two.

so - first he says all his friends are junkies and then says that's not really true. why did he say it in the first place, man? you're wasting our time here. are they or aren't they? make up your goddamned mind.

and that yipping business at the end? is that supposed to be what a monkey man sounds like? sounds more like a hyena in heat. c'mon mick - study your animal kingdom a little before you write these lyrics....

Posted by: The Joker ()
Date: January 28, 2013 20:47

Silver Dagger

Then, after a few verses of Jagger lyrically setting the scene, around the 1.50 mark Keith comes in with one of those trademark riffs which builds and builds to create an incredible tension before Hopkins, providing the light to Richard's darkness, returns to the fore with some of those beautiful piano flourishes of his. It's a breath-taking moment and for me, one of the finest bridges the Stones have ever created.

This is the most beautiful piece I have read about Monkey Man. To me, the apex is the second part of the bridge at 2.38. Something about destiny, like your whole life passing in ten seconds. It gives goose bumps, like being a spirit.

Posted by: justamomentita ()
Date: January 28, 2013 22:31

This song is nerve wracking great....it keeps climbing up the catalog.

Posted by: IdahoStones ()
Date: January 28, 2013 23:03

The Joker
Silver Dagger

Then, after a few verses of Jagger lyrically setting the scene, around the 1.50 mark Keith comes in with one of those trademark riffs which builds and builds to create an incredible tension before Hopkins, providing the light to Richard's darkness, returns to the fore with some of those beautiful piano flourishes of his. It's a breath-taking moment and for me, one of the finest bridges the Stones have ever created.

This is the most beautiful piece I have read about Monkey Man. To me, the apex is the second part of the bridge at 2.38. Something about destiny, like your whole life passing in ten seconds. It gives goose bumps, like being a spirit.

I have never noticed all that before. Just listened to it. How awesome! How have I missed that before. I will notice it every time now.

I used to have the intro to Monkey Man as my ringtone. People always noticed it. But I had to quit using it because it started to ruin the song for me. When the song came on I would always reach for my phone.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: January 28, 2013 23:36

IdahoStones
The Joker
Silver Dagger

I have never noticed all that before. Just listened to it. How awesome! How have I missed that before. I will notice it every time now.

I used to have the intro to Monkey Man as my ringtone. People always noticed it. But I had to quit using it because it started to ruin the song for me. When the song came on I would always reach for my phone.

That's why I never use a Stones ring tone ever again... especially when your to busy and get to much phone call.....it ruined "What a Shame" for me

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: January 29, 2013 03:51

Bill's jazzy bass talking to Nicky's piano interrupted by Keith's complaining guitar. What an intro, and then finally they all take off on that orchestral crescendo years before Layla did it.

Posted by: NoCode0680 ()
Date: January 29, 2013 04:18

NICOS
That's why I never use a Stones ring tone ever again... especially when your to busy and get to much phone call.....it ruined "What a Shame" for me

What a sha... ah f%ck it, never mind.

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: January 29, 2013 05:28

One of the funniest song line/lyrics ever...

"I'm a flea-bit peanut monkey, all my friends are junkies
That's not really true"

And for anyone who has ever tried to write (or actually written) song lyrics that will (hopefully) work, isnt it even funnier? I mean... wouldnt one just scratch the lyric, versus correcting one's self? unless of course... well, you know the deal... and on and on. Great song, great lyrics.

Posted by: Slimharpo ()
Date: January 29, 2013 06:55

Another one of those tough, rugged, gritty, deperate Keith Richards style lyric concepts like Soul Survivor, You Got me Rocking, Connection, Beast of Burden, Jumping Jack Flash, Gimme Shelter....

Posted by: KeithNacho ()
Date: January 29, 2013 13:21

This song has all the perfect RS song: exceptional riff, exceptional piano: glorious break piano-slide guitar.....
Keith Richards at his best .
In this album Keith Richards reached a very very high level as an innovative and creative guitar player.
This is HIS album. Just because of this album there is a place for Keith Richards in the R&R Olympum

Posted by: mikeeder ()
Date: January 29, 2013 13:34

Nice intro, end is silly but fun.

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: January 29, 2013 14:25

Great track, one of their best, Micks best vocals ever, one of Keiths best riffs, and one of the best examples of Keith incorporating Ry Cooders funky style, adding Chuck Berry and smack. I'd pay anything to hear the development of this song, Rambler and Shelter.

Date: January 29, 2013 14:36

Redhotcarpet
I'd pay anything to hear the development of this song, Rambler and Shelter.

how about your left nut. would you give your left nut to hear it?

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: January 29, 2013 16:40

T&A
Redhotcarpet

I for one most certainly would give his left nut to hear the development of this song.

Posted by: RockinBud ()
Date: January 29, 2013 16:56

A Master Piece in The Masterpiece
LIB
RB

Date: January 29, 2013 17:28

RockinBud
A Master Piece in The Masterpiece
LIB
RB

and one of several!

Posted by: rattler2004 ()
Date: January 29, 2013 17:47

NoCode0680
rattler2004
Why did they wait so long to bust this one out on the Stage?

We could ask the same question about many songs. CYHMK for instance, recorded on Sticky Fingers but didn't make its live debut until the ABB tour right?

True but the reasons I'd imagine Jagger would give about CYHMK...Wouldn't translate in an arena, different guitarist (Talyor shines on CYHMK), Fall out with Bobby Keys, it's a rock/jazz fusion jam that is too long for a love setting....etc....none of those apply to Monkey Man, it's short, Keith driven, ferocious song.

Thant's why I asked the question.

the shoot 'em dead, brainbell jangler!

Date: January 29, 2013 18:20

treaclefingers
T&A
Redhotcarpet

I for one most certainly would give his left nut to hear the development of this song.

sold!

Posted by: CindyC ()
Date: January 29, 2013 19:04

The Joker

Yes - this is THE MOMENT OF GREATNESS!

Date: January 29, 2013 19:11

T&A
treaclefingers
T&A
Redhotcarpet

sold!

Great...I'm not delivering the news to Redhot though.

Posted by: CindyC ()
Date: January 29, 2013 19:17

i have to say though that when i was younger, this song was not by any means a favorite. I liked it certainly, but unlike a lot of you who grew up with the RSs and heard each album as they came out, I became a fan in '81 and was forced to catch up with everything up to Tattoo You. There was SO MUCH good stuff to digest that MM was just not a stand-out to me. When I hear it now, i can't believe that my initial impression wasn't one of complete awe.

I love my memory of my first time hearing it ... it was on the radio and it was the middle of the song and I immediately KNEW it was Keith Richards guitar, and it made me feel like a real fan - that I could identify Keith's sound with just a few notes. I was so proud of my little 15 year old self at that moment!

Posted by: TrulyMicks ()
Date: January 29, 2013 19:21

One of my favorites, just love it!

And the world keeps turning
And life goes on
The world keeps turning
May your heart stay strong.....

Date: January 29, 2013 19:30

At the same time its not a great song because it's so dependent on Millers production and Jaggers studio vocal. It's not a great live song. It's the Let it bleed version that counts.

Date: January 29, 2013 20:16

Redhotcarpet
At the same time its not a great song because it's so dependent on Millers production and Jaggers studio vocal. It's not a great live song. It's the Let it bleed version that counts.

Good thing you didn't give away any body parts then, upon further consideration!

Date: January 29, 2013 20:22

I'll give you a toe for Monkey Man

Posted by: filstan ()
Date: January 29, 2013 20:26

Would love to hear outtakes of this song along with other tracks on LIB. They have to exist above and beyond what is currently available. I love the sound Jimmy Miller was able to get with the Stones. Monkey Man is a top end production on all counts.

Date: January 29, 2013 22:02

filstan
Would love to hear outtakes of this song along with other tracks on LIB. They have to exist above and beyond what is currently available. I love the sound Jimmy Miller was able to get with the Stones. Monkey Man is a top end production on all counts.

I agree...the whole album is sort of a 'Greatest Hits' for 1969...even Country Honk is pretty damn good.

Posted by: microvibe ()
Date: January 29, 2013 23:39

what type guitar did k richards use on this track les paul,telecaster?

Date: January 29, 2013 23:43

i can't believe there's not some dissent about monkey man. the iorr community is not designated toward agreement on anything. something's wrong here.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 2 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1906
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home