Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

No Ron Wood on 121212!?
Posted by: 1963luca0 ()
Date: January 22, 2013 11:00

Hi everybody,
the booklet in my copy of 121212 does not list RW in the Rolling Stones line-up,
and yours?
Thanks, Luca

Re: No Ron Wood on 121212!?
Posted by: njlstones815 ()
Date: January 22, 2013 17:20

He is not listed in mine either! WTF????

Posted by: 1963luca0 ()
Date: January 22, 2013 17:33

Too young to rock and roll?

Posted by: kowalski ()
Date: February 12, 2013 20:55

I can hear him on the two Stones songs though!

Posted by: JJackFl ()
Date: February 12, 2013 20:58

Who is Ron Wood?

Posted by: aprilfool ()
Date: February 12, 2013 21:02

The man who eats bananas on stage!

Posted by: ifyacantrockme ()
Date: February 13, 2013 05:59

if you can hear him in the mix that's a plus...usually he's buried in there like on 'no security' and large portions of 'shine a light'.

Date: February 13, 2013 10:17

How is the 121212-mix?

Posted by: kowalski ()
Date: February 13, 2013 17:02

DandelionPowderman
How is the 121212-mix?

Pretty good. Both guitars are clearly audible and balanced.

Date: February 13, 2013 17:47

kowalski
DandelionPowderman
How is the 121212-mix?

Pretty good. Both guitars are clearly audible and balanced.

Cool, thanks!

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: February 13, 2013 18:35

1963luca0
Hi everybody,
the booklet in my copy of 121212 does not list RW in the Rolling Stones line-up,
and yours?
Thanks, Luca

It's most unlike the Stones to airbrush someone out!

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Posted by: DoomandGloom ()
Date: February 14, 2013 03:06

This is the second time something like this has happened. Wood had an end date of 2011 to his Stones career on his photo for a few days when the previous web site debuted. I've also noticed more official pictures that just feature the founding 3. If Mick Taylor is asked on board will Ronnie's role diminish or could he even quit!!! Seems improbable that a mistake like this could slip through and be approved ...

Posted by: achilles77 ()
Date: February 15, 2013 03:46

DoomandGloom
This is the second time something like this has happened. Wood had an end date of 2011 to his Stones career on his photo for a few days when the previous web site debuted. I've also noticed more official pictures that just feature the founding 3. If Mick Taylor is asked on board will Ronnie's role diminish or could he even quit!!! Seems improbable that a mistake like this could slip through and be approved ...

Everything you just said has been on the back of my mind for quite some time, and I'm glad someone else has picked up on it also. (I thought the career end date was set at 2010 on the old web site. It's fuzzy to me now). That was when all the Taylor era stuff started getting promoted and released starting with the expanded re-release of Exile.

Anyway I've been "reading between the lines", so to speak, for a while now, noticing lots of things in the Stones world that indicate much more recognition for Taylor then EVER before. I hope that this all does signal the return of Taylor.

We'll see what happens.

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: February 15, 2013 04:22

achilles77
DoomandGloom

Everything you just said has been on the back of my mind for quite some time, and I'm glad someone else has picked up on it also. (I thought the career end date was set at 2010 on the old web site. It's fuzzy to me now). That was when all the Taylor era stuff started getting promoted and released starting with the expanded re-release of Exile.

Anyway I've been "reading between the lines", so to speak, for a while now, noticing lots of things in the Stones world that indicate much more recognition for Taylor then EVER before. I hope that this all does signal the return of Taylor.

We'll see what happens.

I haven't heard of this or seen the official photos omitting Ron Wood, but wouldn't this have something to do with his domestic troubles, the bad publicity resulting from his assault on one of his girlfriends, as well as his cycles of drinking and rehab. He's only been sober for 3 years now, since the beginning of 2010, and it could be that his future in the band was conditional on his getting his personal issues in order. If so, it wouldn't be the first time he was nearly shown the door, as in the early 80s he was nearly thrown out of the band for his excesses.

Posted by: Thru and Thru ()
Date: February 15, 2013 05:18

kowalski
I can hear him on the two Stones songs though!

Not only can you hear him, Lord knows I saw him on stage in the flesh that night with my very own eyes. Poor Ronnie, so neglected!!! confused smiley

Lose your dreams and you will lose your mind...

Date: February 15, 2013 05:54

achilles77
DoomandGloom

We'll see what happens.
There's been a Taylor love-fest and his Stones bio was clear that his era was the golden age for the band. It's not like Mick to fire outright but it's possible that Ron could be squeezed out if he's offered a diminished role. When Bill quit Ron was offered the bass slot I believe to allow Taylor back in but he was adamant that he couldn't see himself make the adjustment which is not unreasonable but Wood was a great bassist in his short time as one. If he had made the move I have no doubt they'd be a more cohesive group with 5 legitimate members on stage. I recently listened to the performance of MR from the pay per and without watching the screen the performance sounds 100% Stones worthy for any decade. I doubt Ron will go to bass at this point and wonder if Taylor could shoulder the load alone that is being left by an aging Keith. 3 guitarists may not be classic Stones but there's a shot in the video of the guys spread out on stage Gibsons chugging and it's cool with me.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-02-15 05:55 by DoomandGloom.

Date: February 15, 2013 07:02

DoomandGloom
achilles77
DoomandGloom

We'll see what happens.
There's been a Taylor love-fest and his Stones bio was clear that his era was the golden age for the band. It's not like Mick to fire outright but it's possible that Ron could be squeezed out if he's offered a diminished role. When Bill quit Ron was offered the bass slot I believe to allow Taylor back in but he was adamant that he couldn't see himself make the adjustment which is not unreasonable but Wood was a great bassist in his short time as one. If he had made the move I have no doubt they'd be a more cohesive group with 5 legitimate members on stage. I recently listened to the performance of MR from the pay per and without watching the screen the performance sounds 100% Stones worthy for any decade. I doubt Ron will go to bass at this point and wonder if Taylor could shoulder the load alone that is being left by an aging Keith. 3 guitarists may not be classic Stones but there's a shot in the video of the guys spread out on stage Gibsons chugging and it's cool with me.

Replying to the bold part...

Really?!?! I never heard about this. Where did you hear/read that?

Anyway, as much as I would also love for Bill to return, it's not very likely, and I would be totally cool with it if Ron were to move to bass when Taylor returned. Definetly the next best thing. For me, The Stones are truly a five-piece band. I agree that Ron was a good bass player for The Jeff Beck Group, so even though he's no Bill Wyman, he'd do ok for the Stones also.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-02-15 07:32 by achilles77.

Date: February 15, 2013 07:23

I don't know where I read it, that was long ago but I did read the quote from Ronnie at the time of Bill's departure. Ronnie said he hadn't played bass in a long while and couldn't imagine himself going back. I remember everything that involves the possibility Taylor returning.

Date: February 15, 2013 07:37

DoomandGloom
I don't know where I read it, that was long ago but I did read the quote from Ronnie at the time of Bill's departure. Ronnie said he hadn't played bass in a long while and couldn't imagine himself going back. I remember everything that involves the possibility of Taylor returning.

Interesting. I didn't even know they were looking at Taylor at that particular time.

Thanks

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-02-15 07:43 by achilles77.

Date: February 15, 2013 07:46

DoomandGloom
I don't know where I read it, that was long ago but I did read the quote from Ronnie at the time of Bill's departure. Ronnie said he hadn't played bass in a long while and couldn't imagine himself going back. I remember everything that involves the possibility Taylor returning.

I recall reading this as well, but I didn't realize the source was Ronnie himself. At any rate, as competent as he is on bass, he would not likely be content in the role. I believe the reason he left the Jeff Beck Group was because he wanted to focus on his guitar playing, and he found his role as JB's bassist too limiting.

Date: February 15, 2013 08:04

achilles77
DoomandGloom
achilles77
DoomandGloom

We'll see what happens.

Anyway, as much as I would also love for Bill to return, it's not very likely, and I would be totally cool with it if Ron were to move to bass when Taylor returned. Definetly the next best thing. For me, The Stones are truly a five-piece band. I agree that Ron was a good bass player for The Jeff Beck Group, so even though he's no Bill Wyman, he'd do ok for the Stones also.

If Mick Taylor would be returning, it would be Mick Jagger's decision, one made with the intent to enhance the songwriting, because Mick has stated recently that he writes well with Taylor, something that he rediscovered with Plundered My Soul, how he can write lyrics against Taylor's melodic guitar parts. This could represent a creative rebirth for the band should they decide on recording new material--that way, new songs would be more the stuff of the "classic era" Stones, rather than just sounding like Jagger solo album leftovers as they have done in recent years. Jagger could benefit from a collaborator to write with--trouble is, any new Jagger/Taylor compositions would automatically be credited to Jagger/Richards, unless they opted for credits for Jagger/Richards/Taylor, otherwise MT's old resentments on the matter would resurface, thus putting an end to Taylor's renewed associations and activity with The Stones. Of course, this is all speculation, as we don't even know if MT will even be invited back for more shows, or even if there will be a new album. They seem content at this point to just acknowledge and celebrate their history without the need to push themselves to any new creative heights.

Posted by: Carnaby ()
Date: February 15, 2013 08:08

Fortunately, Woody is part of the rhythm section mix and not a dominate, loud anoyance playng over it like Taylor. That is why Woody has been here for 38 years as opposed to 5. Oh, and by the way, rhythm guitar is lead.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-02-15 08:11 by Carnaby.

Date: February 15, 2013 08:28

Carnaby
Fortunately, Woody is part of the rhythm section mix and not a dominate, loud anoyance playng over it like Taylor. That is why Woody has been here for 38 years as opposed to 5. Oh, and by the way, rhythm guitar is lead.
Ron Wood is a legend and certainly part of the rhythm section and a decent lead guitarist. All too often I see the deer in the headlights look in Ron's eyes, you know like when he can't complete a phrase in CYHMK or when Mick motions to him to go around a second time and he has a look like he's already shot his load. Yes Taylor plays over stuff and is not the concise player Clapton is. He is however one of the greatest lead guitarists in rock history and plays with reckless abandon like a true R.S. At this moment in time this band needs a truly great guitar player. Guys like Meyer and Clark are coming on stage blowing these guys away, you don't need any of that rubbish with Mick Taylor.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2013-02-15 08:41 by DoomandGloom.

Posted by: Meise ()
Date: February 15, 2013 10:43

I never understood and will never understand why some here constantly apply for Mick Taylor to return. Keith will never allow Ronnie to leave the band because he knows Ronnie's importance in taking over large parts of Keith's playing if he can't do his job- I've seen that in Frankfurt/Germany in 2007.

Ron's playing with the band since nearly 38 years. He may not have made such impressive contributions to the Stones' music like Mick Taylor or even Brian Jones in his early years but he's a Rolling Stone. And, to be honest: even if it was a positive surprise to hagve Mick Taylor playing with the band again, do you really want to see and hear a fat guy doodling all the time? Mick Taylor never really was rock'n'roll, Ron's always been.

Date: February 15, 2013 12:06

stonehearted
achilles77
DoomandGloom
achilles77
DoomandGloom

We'll see what happens.

If Mick Taylor would be returning, it would be Mick Jagger's decision, one made with the intent to enhance the songwriting, because Mick has stated recently that he writes well with Taylor , something that he rediscovered with Plundered My Soul, how he can write lyrics against Taylor's melodic guitar parts. This could represent a creative rebirth for the band should they decide on recording new material--that way, new songs would be more the stuff of the "classic era" Stones, rather than just sounding like Jagger solo album leftovers as they have done in recent years. Jagger could benefit from a collaborator to write with--trouble is, any new Jagger/Taylor compositions would automatically be credited to Jagger/Richards, unless they opted for credits for Jagger/Richards/Taylor, otherwise MT's old resentments on the matter would resurface, thus putting an end to Taylor's renewed associations and activity with The Stones. Of course, this is all speculation, as we don't even know if MT will even be invited back for more shows, or even if there will be a new album. They seem content at this point to just acknowledge and celebrate their history without the need to push themselves to any new creative heights.

grinning smiley Mick has never stated that he wrote ANYTHING with Taylor grinning smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-02-15 12:06 by DandelionPowderman.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1230
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home