Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567Next
Current Page: 2 of 7
Re: Guns N Roses vs The Rolling Stones
Posted by: rollmops ()
Date: January 11, 2013 02:29

Voted for the stones but when I checked out the score Guns&Roses were leading 51 to 48.
Rock and roll,
Mops

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: January 11, 2013 02:32

rollmops
Voted for the stones but when I checked out the score Guns&Roses were leading 51 to 48.
Rock and roll,
Mops

Three of us voted for G'N'R...I'm beginning to feel badly about it.

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: January 11, 2013 03:35

I can settle this. If you put both bands together for one concert on the same stage, then the headliner wins. See? No contest. Same as in '89.

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: January 11, 2013 03:40

In the ring, the winner is the last one still standing. That would be the Stones.

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: January 11, 2013 04:29

latebloomer
Koen
What's the deal with those stupid helmets? confused smiley

Those are American football helmets, I'm guessing you aren't from the US of A. grinning smiley

Well, I know what they are, but wouldn't boxing gloves be more appropriate?

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: January 11, 2013 04:50

Guns N Roses aren't qualified to mop the floor for the Stones dressing rooms, even on a good day. I am embarassed by this comparison. In fact, I am embarassed by every syllable that is sung by Axl Rose. peace

Posted by: slew ()
Date: January 11, 2013 05:33

Shows how stupid these polls are the Gunners are actually ahead. This should not even be close. The Stones are a million miles ahead of G&R. Alx could not carry Mick's jockstrap!

Date: January 11, 2013 06:17

stonehearted
I can settle this. If you put both bands together for one concert on the same stage, then the headliner wins. See? No contest. Same as in '89.

yup because they always have a band with 1 album headline over a band that has been around for 25+ years. it was a stones tour, booked by the stones. why what GNR headline a show over the stones when the stones asked them to open?

Posted by: howled ()
Date: January 11, 2013 06:45

Even Slash, Axl, Izzy etc would choose the Stones.

[www.blabbermouth.net]

"The (ROLLING) STONES were recording 'Voodoo Lounge'... Keith asked me about what I was doing with GUNS, and I told him the situation with Axl. Keith said 'You never quit.'"

Slash added, "I thought a lot about what he said. Keith is one of the few people I look up to. (He gave me) the wherewithal to go back to rehearsal with a fresh attitude." Slash went on to say, "It kept me in there for as long as humanly possible. (Unfortunately) I was dealing with somebody who didn't want to do anything but drag the ship down."

Slash said Richards consoled him after he quit the band, and said, "There was nothing you could do."

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2013-01-11 06:50 by howled.

Date: January 11, 2013 07:10

howled

[www.blabbermouth.net]

"The (ROLLING) STONES were recording 'Voodoo Lounge'... Keith asked me about what I was doing with GUNS, and I told him the situation with Axl. Keith said 'You never quit.'"

Slash added, "I thought a lot about what he said. Keith is one of the few people I look up to. (He gave me) the wherewithal to go back to rehearsal with a fresh attitude." Slash went on to say, "It kept me in there for as long as humanly possible. (Unfortunately) I was dealing with somebody who didn't want to do anything but drag the ship down."

Slash said Richards consoled him after he quit the band, and said, "There was nothing you could do."

That reminds me of when I read about a hilarious moment in the studio. The occasion was the playback of Thru and Thru, and Splash was present. Splash did the unthinkable when he crossed the line by making a suggestion to Keith about how the track might be improved on. Keith blew his top and all but showed him the blade. Do you remember exactly what he said? Something to the effect of "Listen, kid, I like you and it's nice to have you around--but no one messes with my track!"

Date: January 11, 2013 07:32

stonehearted
howled

[www.blabbermouth.net]

That reminds me of when I read about a hilarious moment in the studio. The occasion was the playback of Thru and Thru, and Splash was present. Splash did the unthinkable when he crossed the line by making a suggestion to Keith about how the track might be improved on. Keith blew his top and all but showed him the blade. Do you remember exactly what he said? Something to the effect of "Listen, kid, I like you and it's nice to have you around--but no one messes with my track!"

Sounds very much like Keith's supposed Taylor comment.

A lot of these things are 3rd party BS made up or altered by someone.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: January 11, 2013 07:45

Do you remember exactly what he said? Something to the effect of "Listen, kid, I like you and it's nice to have you around--but no one messes with my track!"

Yep something to that effect .... think I read it in a Slash interview actually

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Glam Descendant ()
Date: January 11, 2013 07:49

It doesn't matter, whoever wins this round will lose to Led Zeppelin in the next round.

"Don't vote, it only encourages them!" -- Gore Vidal

Posted by: seitan ()
Date: January 11, 2013 08:32

Guns N roses would be Ok - if there was no Axl. Every song that Izzy or Dudd sings, I can liste nto - but when ever there's Axl, i'm sorry - it's like horrible joke.

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: January 11, 2013 08:36

what is Guns N Roses?

Sounds like a right wing breakfast cereal.... Guns and Raisins

Date: January 11, 2013 10:33

Guns'n'Roses was a support act for the Stones in their prime, nuff said...

Date: January 11, 2013 11:26

DandelionPowderman

again this is a stupid point that someone else made earlier. the rolling stones booked a rolling stones tour. the rolling stones asked GNR if they would like to open some shows and they said yes. this is not a valid point to bring up in an argument over who is a better or more popular band. metallica and pearl jam also opened for the rolling stones at different times because they were asked

Date: January 11, 2013 11:57

keefriffhard4life
DandelionPowderman

again this is a stupid point that someone else made earlier. the rolling stones booked a rolling stones tour. the rolling stones asked GNR if they would like to open some shows and they said yes. this is not a valid point to bring up in an argument over who is a better or more popular band. metallica and pearl jam also opened for the rolling stones at different times because they were asked

Yeah, I was partly joking. However, I could never see the Stones accepting a support slot for GNR or Metallica, so there is a bit of truth in this as well, regarding being "the biggest"...

<the rolling stones asked GNR if they would like to open some shows and they said yes>

Isn't that pretty standard procedure for the Stones regarding support acts. I know Mick is involved in picking support acts...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-01-11 12:11 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: midimannz ()
Date: January 11, 2013 12:05

Who ? Vs the Stones! Give me a break ! Is (that band) still playing ..

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: January 11, 2013 12:15

midimannz

Yup!

Concert pic from 2012

Date: January 11, 2013 12:32

DandelionPowderman
keefriffhard4life
DandelionPowderman

Yeah, I was partly joking. However, I could never see the Stones accepting a support slot for GNR or Metallica, so there is a bit of truth in this as well, regarding being "the biggest"...

<the rolling stones asked GNR if they would like to open some shows and they said yes>

Isn't that pretty standard procedure for the Stones regarding support acts. I know Mick is involved in picking support acts...

yeah thats pretty standard with the stones opening acts. i don't think any band who opened for the stones would ever reverse the roles just out of respect no matter how big they were.

Date: January 11, 2013 15:07

These things like GnR vs the Stones are just stupid as would be Oasis vs The Beatles.

GnR and Oasis grew up with the Stones, Beatles, 70s rock, and Punk.

Sweet Child Of Mine is a "Lynyrd Skynyrd" type of song with Country/Rock overtones and Axl has confirmed it.

If some Oasis or GnR fan comes along in the late 80s/early 90s and thinks GnR and Oasis are new, then they really need to listen to some 60s and 70s rock because that's what GnR and Oasis were/are doing.

The thing is that The Stones, Beatles, Lynyrd Skynyrd etc already did it pretty well in the first place and Axl and Slash would of course know that as they grew up on it.

The Stones are not a support act and havn't been for ages.

I can imagine GnR supporting the Stones basically because they would of respected the Stones music.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-01-11 15:17 by howled.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: January 11, 2013 17:42

Come On
midimannz

Yup!

Concert pic from 2012

GNR is NOT still playing. The GNR in the poll ended in 1993.

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: January 11, 2013 19:23

GasLightStreet
Come On
midimannz

Yup!

Concert pic from 2012

exactly ,nowadays axel is still using the gnr name but it should be called the axel rose band ,but nobody would buy tickets for that so that is why he bills it as gnr(i guess he owns the rights to the name of the band )

Date: January 11, 2013 20:03

TheGreek
GasLightStreet
exactly ,nowadays axel is still using the gnr name but it should be called the axel rose band ,but nobody would buy tickets for that so that is why he bills it as gnr(i guess he owns the rights to the name of the band )

Correct. He got the name during the Illusion "era" as I recall and after all of that changed "the band" and turned it into the Axl Show with horrible songs, instruments and production! Guns 'N' Disney is what it became so it was in Slash's best interest to quit.

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: January 11, 2013 20:05

i can't believe all grief given to the gunners - and on a STONES site of all places

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: January 11, 2013 20:34

keefriffhard4life
stonehearted

yup because they always have a band with 1 album headline over a band that has been around for 25+ years. it was a stones tour, booked by the stones. why what GNR headline a show over the stones when the stones asked them to open?

In LA 89 both the Stones and GnR were the headliners. GnR did not 'open' for the Stones, they both where the main acts.

Mathijs

Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: January 11, 2013 20:39

Well technically Axl owns the name because all of the other members, one by one and separately, quit the band (except their original junky drummer), ... leaving Axl with the name.

So technically it's not Axl's fault. The 'band', as a business, didn't stop existing. Steve was fired first, then Izzy quit right before the Illusion tour, then Slash quit a few years later, then finally Duff left. Every member had been replaced as they left, and all on separate occasions. The band didn't have a simultaneous break-up.

I guess the only one to really blame would be Izzy, Slash and Duff for deciding to be in a band/business with Axl in the first place?

[thepowergoats.com]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2013-01-11 20:40 by jamesfdouglas.

Date: January 11, 2013 21:10

jamesfdouglas
Well technically Axl owns the name because all of the other members, one by one and separately, quit the band (except their original junky drummer), ... leaving Axl with the name.

All the things I've read is that Axl obtained, ha ha, the rights to the name around the time of Use Your Illusion and therefor determined who was in "Guns 'N' Roses", which meant a dismantling of Guns 'N' Roses eventually and the rise of Axl Roses. spinning smiley sticking its tongue out It has nothing to do with when people quit - he gave them a choice, the smart ones opted for the better one - quitting. There's no point in going by anything ROLLING STONE says for any kind of proof since they like to get on their knees for Axl.

Date: January 11, 2013 23:26

Mathijs
keefriffhard4life
stonehearted

In LA 89 both the Stones and GnR were the headliners. GnR did not 'open' for the Stones, they both where the main acts.

Mathijs

You mean they both went on stage at the same time? It's like having two radios on in the same room--gets a bit cluttered, sonically speaking.

Goto Page: Previous1234567Next
Current Page: 2 of 7

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1402
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home