Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567Next
Current Page: 3 of 7
Re: Guns N Roses vs The Rolling Stones
Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: January 11, 2013 23:27

Mathijs
keefriffhard4life
stonehearted
I can settle this. If you put both bands together for one concert on the same stage, then the headliner wins. See? No contest. Same as in '89.

yup because they always have a band with 1 album headline over a band that has been around for 25+ years. it was a stones tour, booked by the stones. why what GNR headline a show over the stones when the stones asked them to open?

In LA 89 both the Stones and GnR were the headliners. GnR did not 'open' for the Stones, they both where the main acts.

Mathijs

Unfortunately for you, you're not right.
source
http://www.gnrontour.com/setlistalm89.htm

10.21.89 - Los Angeles Coliseum, Los Angeles, CA
opening for: The Rolling Stones
set: It's So Easy, Mr. Brownstone, Out Ta Get Me, Move To The City, I Was Only Joking [Intro] / Patience, My Michelle, Guitar Solo, Rocket Queen, Only Women Bleed [Intro] / Knockin' On Heaven's Door, Welcome To The Jungle, Sweet Child O' Mine, Paradise City
audio/video recording?: audio
notes: 'Out Ta Get Me,' Axl says there hasn't been anyone in rock n roll to crucify in a while, so now it might as well be GN'R & Axl Rose. Again the 'Suicide Horns Section,' featuring Duff's brother Matt, play horns on 'Move To The City.'

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-01-11 23:40 by treaclefingers.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: January 11, 2013 23:33

ROCKMAN

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-01-11 23:37 by Rockman.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: January 11, 2013 23:44

treaclefingers
Mathijs
keefriffhard4life
stonehearted
I can settle this. If you put both bands together for one concert on the same stage, then the headliner wins. See? No contest. Same as in '89.

yup because they always have a band with 1 album headline over a band that has been around for 25+ years. it was a stones tour, booked by the stones. why what GNR headline a show over the stones when the stones asked them to open?

In LA 89 both the Stones and GnR were the headliners. GnR did not 'open' for the Stones, they both where the main acts.

Mathijs

source

set: It's So Easy, Mr. Brownstone, Out Ta Get Me, Move To The City, I Was Only Joking [Intro] / Patience, My Michelle, Guitar Solo, Rocket Queen, Only Women Bleed [Intro] / Knockin' On Heaven's Door, Welcome To The Jungle, Sweet Child O' Mine, Paradise City
notes: 'Out Ta Get Me,' Axl says there hasn't been anyone in rock n roll to crucify in a while, so now it might as well be GN'R & Axl Rose. Again the 'Suicide Horns Section,' featuring Duff's brother Matt, play horns on 'Move To The City.'

I am right. The opener was Living Colour, then GnR and Stones headlined. This is how the shows where promoted, presented and sold.

[www.nzentgraf.de]
[www.nzentgraf.de]
[www.nzentgraf.de]
[www.nzentgraf.de]

For other shows, with openers but with only the Stones headlining tickets read:

[www.nzentgraf.de]

Mathijs

Date: January 11, 2013 23:54

Mathijs
treaclefingers
Mathijs
keefriffhard4life
stonehearted

Mathijs

source

I am right. The opener was Living Colour, then GnR and Stones headlined. This is how the shows where promoted, presented and sold.

[www.nzentgraf.de]
[www.nzentgraf.de]
[www.nzentgraf.de]
[www.nzentgraf.de]

[www.nzentgraf.de]

Mathijs

What the hell does that prove? The ticket says THE ROLLING STONES on top, then WITH GUNS'N'ROSES.

G'N'R was a big act at the time, so they were promoting the fact they were on the bill. This was a ROLLING STONES show, that G'N'R were at, and opened and played before the Stones. They are an opening act.

Even the gnrtour site I referenced says that...what is so hard for you to understand?

Date: January 12, 2013 02:41

Some days Veeatles fans post in here how good is that group.

Today the stones may be compared to the band of this singer:eye popping smiley

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: January 12, 2013 04:40

Oh IORR... you make me laugh.

Posted by: doubledoor ()
Date: January 12, 2013 07:22

They opened for the Stones

Posted by: minorbyrd ()
Date: January 12, 2013 09:08

Guns n Roses made 1 good album, an odds & sods album promoted with an average 'unplugged'-like single, 2 albums put out at once that had both good & bad tracks, then an average covers album. I don't know what thealbum Axl released under the GnR name is like (haven't heard it)but it doesn't seem to have caused too much excitement. They'll always be remembered for their better work, the catalogue will sell, but their impact in comparison to the Stones is minimal. It's like comparing Aerosmith to the Stones. And on a Stones fan Forum it's amusing that I'm even comparing!

I liked them in 1987-88 as a teenager, but I knew even then that they wouldn't be around without their influences, including the Stones. And they didn't cover all the styles that the Stones did - the Blues for example.

Posted by: minorbyrd ()
Date: January 12, 2013 09:14

minorbyrd
Guns n Roses made 1 good album, an odds & sods album promoted with an average 'unplugged'-like single, 2 albums put out at once that had both good & bad tracks, then an average covers album. I don't know what thealbum Axl released under the GnR name is like (haven't heard it)but it doesn't seem to have caused too much excitement. They'll always be remembered for their better work, the catalogue will sell, but their impact in comparison to the Stones is minimal. It's like comparing Aerosmith to the Stones. And on a Stones fan Forum it's amusing that I'm even comparing!

I liked them in 1987-88 as a teenager, but I knew even then that they wouldn't be around without their influences, including the Stones. And they didn't cover all the styles that the Stones did - the Blues for example.

Just reread this - That was way too serious sounding!!!! It's simply a no-contest vote for the Stones winking smiley

Date: January 12, 2013 11:02

treaclefingers
Mathijs
treaclefingers
Mathijs
keefriffhard4life
stonehearted

Mathijs

source

[www.nzentgraf.de]
[www.nzentgraf.de]
[www.nzentgraf.de]
[www.nzentgraf.de]

[www.nzentgraf.de]

Mathijs

What the hell does that prove? The ticket says THE ROLLING STONES on top, then WITH GUNS'N'ROSES.

G'N'R was a big act at the time, so they were promoting the fact they were on the bill. This was a ROLLING STONES show, that G'N'R were at, and opened and played before the Stones. They are an opening act.

Even the gnrtour site I referenced says that...what is so hard for you to understand?

It's not hard to understand, but it is easy to be mistaken after 23 years, even for GnR fans and GnR websites made by fans.

The tickets prove that the Bill was GnR and The Stones, because on a ticket you normaly only put the headliners, not the suppert act. But this is not the main prove. The main prove was that then shows where promoted as having a double bill at the time. It was in the press, on TV, in adds. I believe tickets where more epensive as well. GnR hadn't played since December 88, and only did these shows.

The thing was at the time GnR was considered the biggest band in the world, not the Stones. There where several shows of 60's acts that didn't sell out in the LA area, and Cohl was just afraid the Stones would not sell out at all. So, he put GnR, the biggest band in the world, on the same bill in their hometown, with Living Colour as support act. Tickets went so fast another show was added. Many people in the audience didn't come to see the Stones, but to see GnR. GnR played for 80 minutes, I believe LC played for 40 minutes. Consensus was that GnR blew the Stones off the stage on the first show, but the Stones blew GnR off the stage on the last show.

Mathijs

[articles.latimes.com]
[articles.latimes.com]

[www.iorr.org]

Posted by: howled ()
Date: January 12, 2013 11:34

[articles.latimes.com]

"On the Stones side, Jagger, 46, explained in an interview last August why the band had invited Living Colour--on the entire tour--and Guns N' Roses--in Los Angeles--to open for them."

"We added (those bands) because they're proven people's groups. They've come up not because of music industry flogging, but on their own, because they hit a populist nerve."

Date: January 12, 2013 12:05

howled
[articles.latimes.com]

"On the Stones side, Jagger, 46, explained in an interview last August why the band had invited Living Colour--on the entire tour--and Guns N' Roses--in Los Angeles--to open for them."

"We added (those bands) because they're proven people's groups. They've come up not because of music industry flogging, but on their own, because they hit a populist nerve."

Again: many people, including the reporter, made and make the mistake that GnR opened for the Stones. They did not, they headlined with the Stones.

'Added warning: Guns N' Roses also has to be wary of being upstaged itself. Living Colour, the opening act on the show'.

As far as I know, these LA shows where one of the only Stones shows ever with two headliners printed on the tickets.

Mathijs

>>
There's no way--short of an exit poll--to know precisely what role Guns N' Roses played in convincing more than 275,000 fans to pay from $35 (the Ticketmaster charge) to $500 (the broker charge for choice seats) to see Wednesday's Coliseum match-up, which will be repeated Thursday, Saturday and next Sunday. Industry observers, however, believe the L.A.-based quintet may have been responsible for as much as 20 to 40% of the sales.

"The Who's failure to sell out even a single show in August at the Coliseum demonstrated the value of having some insurance, which a hot new band like Guns N' Roses provides," said a concert producer who is not involved with the local Stones dates and asked that his name not be used.

"I believe the Stones are much a stronger draw in Southern California than the Who and that they would have been able to sell out at least two Coliseum shows, maybe even a third on their own, but Guns N' Roses \o7 guaranteed \f7 a third date and enabled the promoters to add a fourth."
>>>

Posted by: Glam Descendant ()
Date: January 12, 2013 12:16

>The tickets prove that the Bill was GnR and The Stones, because on a ticket you normaly only put the headliners, not the suppert act.

That's utter nonsense, I have many ticket stubs that have the name of the opening act.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-01-12 12:17 by Glam Descendant.

Posted by: howled ()
Date: January 12, 2013 12:21

On all the tickets and promos for the concert that I've seen, the Stones got the top billing spot followed by GnR and then Living Colour but Living Colour was left off of some promo things for the Stones/GnR shows.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-01-12 12:22 by howled.

Date: January 12, 2013 13:11

living colour was one bad ass band. maybe the most skilled band ever.

Date: January 12, 2013 13:16

So what exactly is the bottom line point to this thread?
Are people here actually saying that they really think that GNR is (was) a better than The Stones?

Date: January 12, 2013 17:54

Mathijs
treaclefingers
Mathijs
treaclefingers
Mathijs
keefriffhard4life
stonehearted

Mathijs

source

[www.nzentgraf.de]
[www.nzentgraf.de]
[www.nzentgraf.de]
[www.nzentgraf.de]

[www.nzentgraf.de]

Mathijs

It's not hard to understand, but it is easy to be mistaken after 23 years, even for GnR fans and GnR websites made by fans.

The tickets prove that the Bill was GnR and The Stones, because on a ticket you normaly only put the headliners, not the suppert act. But this is not the main prove. The main prove was that then shows where promoted as having a double bill at the time. It was in the press, on TV, in adds. I believe tickets where more epensive as well. GnR hadn't played since December 88, and only did these shows.

The thing was at the time GnR was considered the biggest band in the world, not the Stones. There where several shows of 60's acts that didn't sell out in the LA area, and Cohl was just afraid the Stones would not sell out at all. So, he put GnR, the biggest band in the world, on the same bill in their hometown, with Living Colour as support act. Tickets went so fast another show was added. Many people in the audience didn't come to see the Stones, but to see GnR. GnR played for 80 minutes, I believe LC played for 40 minutes. Consensus was that GnR blew the Stones off the stage on the first show, but the Stones blew GnR off the stage on the last show.

Mathijs

[articles.latimes.com]
[articles.latimes.com]

[www.iorr.org]

Yeah you're probably right, and everyone else is wrong, and even though you have no actual proof, your thought, that the Rolling Stones and G'n'R coheadlined LA obviously makes the most sense. eye popping smiley

Date: January 12, 2013 17:55

Glam Descendant
>The tickets prove that the Bill was GnR and The Stones, because on a ticket you normaly only put the headliners, not the suppert act.

That's utter nonsense, I have many ticket stubs that have the name of the opening act.

But...Mathijs has a scan of an ACTUAL TICKET!

Date: January 12, 2013 17:56

Max'sKansasCity
Are people here actually saying that they really think that GNR is (was) a better than The Stones?

I think you're just dying to say Axhole.

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: January 12, 2013 18:07

with apologies to mlk jr - i have a dream: that a day will come when music can just be music and not turned into a competition. a day when men and women will listen to music and not judge it in comparison to other music, but merely recognize and appreciate the value and experience of just listening. yes, i have a dream.

Posted by: doubledoor ()
Date: January 12, 2013 18:16

Whose tour was it? Stones. Whose Stage was it? Stones. Who opened for them? LC and G&R.

Date: January 12, 2013 18:17

treaclefingers
Max'sKansasCity

No, I was just wondering what all the fuss and long posts are about.

Date: January 12, 2013 18:20

Max'sKansasCity
treaclefingers
Max'sKansasCity

OK, sorry...I may have been projecting. It may have been me that wanted to say Axhole.

There, I said it, Axhole.

Date: January 12, 2013 18:35

treaclefingers
Max'sKansasCity
treaclefingers
Max'sKansasCity

OK, sorry...I may have been projecting. It may have been me that wanted to say Axhole.

I know that song....

Date: January 12, 2013 19:28

Max'sKansasCity
treaclefingers
Max'sKansasCity
treaclefingers
Max'sKansasCity

I know that song....

Good one! That was my introduction to Dennis all those years ago.

I want my MTV!

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: January 12, 2013 20:04

Glam Descendant

Yeah. Over the years the tickets have had the opening act underneath the headliner.

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: January 12, 2013 21:09

Mathijs
howled
[articles.latimes.com]

Again: many people, including the reporter, made and make the mistake that GnR opened for the Stones. They did not, they headlined with the Stones.

'Added warning: Guns N' Roses also has to be wary of being upstaged itself. Living Colour, the opening act on the show'.

As far as I know, these LA shows where one of the only Stones shows ever with two headliners printed on the tickets.

Mathijs

>>
There's no way--short of an exit poll--to know precisely what role Guns N' Roses played in convincing more than 275,000 fans to pay from $35 (the Ticketmaster charge) to $500 (the broker charge for choice seats) to see Wednesday's Coliseum match-up, which will be repeated Thursday, Saturday and next Sunday. Industry observers, however, believe the L.A.-based quintet may have been responsible for as much as 20 to 40% of the sales.

"The Who's failure to sell out even a single show in August at the Coliseum demonstrated the value of having some insurance, which a hot new band like Guns N' Roses provides," said a concert producer who is not involved with the local Stones dates and asked that his name not be used.

"I believe the Stones are much a stronger draw in Southern California than the Who and that they would have been able to sell out at least two Coliseum shows, maybe even a third on their own, but Guns N' Roses \o7 guaranteed \f7 a third date and enabled the promoters to add a fourth."
>>>

Living Colour, first opening act. GnR, second opening act. The last act on stage, the act that closes a show, the headliner. Or, take the example of a music festival, say, Glastonbury, or the 12/12 concert in New York. The headliner is the closing act. There can be only one headliner on any bill, unless different artists literally share the same stage at the same time.

Date: January 13, 2013 00:02

stonehearted
Mathijs
howled
[articles.latimes.com]

Mathijs

>>

>>>

Living Colour, first opening act. GnR, second opening act. The last act on stage, the act that closes a show, the headliner. Or, take the example of a music festival, say, Glastonbury, or the 12/12 concert in New York. The headliner is the closing act. There can be only one headliner on any bill, unless different artists literally share the same stage at the same time.

look, you're not getting Mathijs point...G'n'R was a headliner. He has the ticket stub to prove it.

Posted by: VT22 ()
Date: January 13, 2013 00:08

When it comes to musical craftsmanship and spontaneity, to me Living Colour - Vernon Reid in particular - should have been the headliner.

Date: January 13, 2013 00:17

VT22
When it comes to musical craftsmanship and spontaneity, to me Living Colour - Vernon Reid in particular - should have been the headliner.

on the other hand, he did record 'Glamour Boys'

Goto Page: Previous1234567Next
Current Page: 3 of 7

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1579
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home