Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: 3 Guitarists
Posted by: DoomandGloom ()
Date: January 6, 2013 21:43

From4tilLate
Personally I think three electric guitars is almost always a bad idea. I hate the murkiness it's brought to the E Street Band for instance. Two guitars can sound bigger than the sum of their parts, but for whatever reason three don't do that. Skynyrd and the Eagles made it work, but only by working out parts with military precision and having absolutely no improvisation at all. That wouldn't suit the Stones.
The E Street Band is everything that should not happen to The Stones, I agree.

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: January 6, 2013 21:57

From4tilLate
Personally I think

crap

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: January 6, 2013 22:00

StonesTod
From4tilLate
Personally I think

crap

easy now...

Posted by: achilles77 ()
Date: January 6, 2013 22:05

They play musical chairs throughout the show:

Taylor plays on any the material ranging from the beginning - 1974 (as he did while still in the band).

Wood plays on everything from 1976-present.

It's fair, balanced, and musically fantastic.

Date: January 6, 2013 22:16

achilles77

Taylor plays on any the material ranging from the beginning - 1974 (as he did while still in the band).

No Ronnie deserves respect.

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: January 6, 2013 22:23

DoomandGloom
achilles77

I agree, especially now that Ronnie is playing so great. I would love to see MT guest on a few songs, but that's it. My fear too is that if MT is there much more, than Keith and Ronnie will get lazy. They both apppear to have worked hard for the last 5 shows and, hopefully, they'll continue with that for any shows we get this year.

Oh, and StonesTod, I gave you that badge, you need to use it!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-01-06 22:24 by latebloomer.

Date: January 6, 2013 22:25

DoomandGloom
achilles77

i disagree; ronnie lane does. and there may be other ronnies....

Date: January 6, 2013 22:41

StonesTod
DoomandGloom
achilles77

Lott comes instantly to mind...maybe a Van Zant?

Date: January 6, 2013 22:41

Munichhilton
StonesTod
DoomandGloom
achilles77

Lott comes instantly to mind...maybe a Van Zant?

upon further review...doomandgloom wasn't even close!

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: January 7, 2013 00:08

If they kept the stage show toned down like in the recent 5 shows then it would be a good idea, because it would take the pressure off of Keith and Ronnie to flesh out the sound while at the same time giving the guitar section extra bite and a bit of "jazz" which would elevate Charlie's playing as well.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-01-07 00:10 by stonehearted.

Date: January 7, 2013 00:12

stonehearted
If they kept the stage show toned down like in the recent 5 shows then it would be a good idea, because it would take the pressure off of Keith and Ronnie to flesh out the sound while at the same time giving the guitar section extra bite and a bit of "jazz" which would elevate Charlie's playing as well.

come again?

Date: January 7, 2013 00:25

StonesTod
stonehearted

come again?

You mean, post the same thing a second time?

Date: January 7, 2013 00:27

stonehearted
StonesTod
stonehearted

come again?

Please no.
Punctuation can save lives

Date: January 7, 2013 00:34

Munichhilton
stonehearted
StonesTod
stonehearted

come again?

Please no.

Oh, I see. Well, I was trying to cut down on commas and such to save bandwidth. But, if you wish, I mean, for clarity, I'll splurge....

Posted by: buffalo7478 ()
Date: January 7, 2013 00:36

I may be among the minority. I love Taylor's playing with the Stones, 1969-73. Their best period on guitar. His playing on Brussels and the 73 Euro tour is the best I have probably ever heard. But his playing at the London shows (though I have only be able to judge by what I have heard on YouTube) is terrible. Maybe because they didn't rehearse? I felt embarrassed for him the first night. Did it improve in NJ? With rehearsal, I think they would be amazing with 3 guitarists. Keith driving the rhythm, Taylor and Woodie jumping in where needed on rhythm, then trading leads. Woodie gets post 1974 and Taylor pre-1974. Hell, I'd pay to see that....not $1800 or $450 though

Posted by: backstreetboy1 ()
Date: January 7, 2013 00:47

well doom and gloom,3 guitarists would be new to stones,unless you count blondie,lol.also i dont think paulys senile,just probably did not see all the shows!!!listen,i think this,ronnie's probably the main reason taylor was at the 4 shows,they had been playing together recently and appear to be very close.im sure ronnie talked to the stones about stepping aside and giving mt the spotlight for 15 minutes,its another story to expect him to just step aside and let mick taylor back in full force.many reasons,but just a few,keiths not given up playing time and the fans wouldnt accept it.therefore ronnie would be giving up either time on stage or time playing on stage,i doubt he would accept a paycut,and i doubt the stones,greedy as they are,are about to share the money.i might be wrong,but doubt it.it would be nice if they brought mick on occasionally,or even 1 or 2 songs a night,but thats unlikely,and if so,thats as far as its gonna go.i must say the stones were great at both prudential shows(i attended both)at MT was the highlight for sure.burt remember the majority of stones fans associate woody with the band not taylor,37 years vs 5.its that simple.hope he does play on a new stones record though.

Date: January 7, 2013 01:05

stonehearted
Munichhilton
stonehearted
StonesTod
stonehearted

come again?

Please no.

Oh, I see. Well, I was trying to cut down on commas and such to save bandwidth. But, if you wish, I mean, for clarity, I'll splurge....

Nice work....

By my count 6 angels just got their wings...or was it six guitars just got some strings?

Either way you have punctuated your point

Date: January 7, 2013 01:48

Munichhilton
stonehearted
Munichhilton
stonehearted
StonesTod
stonehearted

come again?

Please no.

Nice work....

By my count 6 angels just got their wings...or was it six guitars just got some strings?

punctuation isn't the issue. i just don't get the whole jazz thing. and i really do get jazz, so it's disheartening....

Date: January 7, 2013 03:19

StonesTod
Munichhilton
stonehearted
Munichhilton
stonehearted
StonesTod
stonehearted

come again?

Please no.

Nice work....

punctuation isn't the issue. i just don't get the whole jazz thing. and i really do get jazz, so it's disheartening....

"Jazz" as in improvisation, which Mick Taylor excels at, and in that spirit, so would Charlie.

Date: January 7, 2013 03:32

stonehearted
StonesTod
Munichhilton
stonehearted
Munichhilton
stonehearted
StonesTod
stonehearted

come again?

Please no.

Nice work....

"Jazz" as in improvisation, which Mick Taylor excels at, and in that spirit, so would Charlie.
The world does not need jazz roc from the RS.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2013-01-07 03:33 by DoomandGloom.

Date: January 7, 2013 03:37

you all are forgetting - they would have to pay him, and it would cut into there take. ain't happenin. they are too greedy

Date: January 7, 2013 04:00

DoomandGloom
stonehearted
StonesTod
Munichhilton
stonehearted
Munichhilton
stonehearted
StonesTod
stonehearted

come again?

Please no.

Nice work....

The world does not need jazz roc from the RS.

Not jazz per se, but just in the spirit of jazz in terms of improvisation. But you're right, Mick J likes everything orchestrated and scripted, as well as strictly choreographed, and certainly wouldn't stand for an entire tour of Mick T hovering beside him front and center stage like the Goodyear Blimp.

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: January 7, 2013 05:58

Nothing wrong with 3 guitarists. AS long as they play well. Like the guys in the E Street Band do.smiling bouncing smiley

"It's just some friends of mine and they're busting down the door"

Date: January 7, 2013 10:01

It will be a mess. It was a (beautiful) mess on the first night in London, but on 23 songs it will be too much, imo.

A short and sweet set with Taylor would be more than welcomed, though.

Posted by: ash ()
Date: January 7, 2013 10:31

Even on the basis of the slightly messy first London show (Rambler-wise) i thought they should get MT back full time. If he was fully rehearsed i think he'd add enormously to the band who to be honest i thought would be a rubbish parody of themselves on those dates. How wrong i was.
I would like to add that i will never diss Ronnie again - for the first time i was really impressed with what he brought to the band (yeah i'm a bit late with that) and Keith was pretty solid if past his best which was fabulous given some of his playing on the last few Stones excursions.
Though unlikely to happen i'd love to see them tour complete albums (beggars,bleed,fingers and exile) and Taylor would be perfect for this.
I am not a so called "Taylor-rite". I am firmly rooted in the Jones-era but watching those shows on you tube in particular Rambler blew me away.
I think a decent album is beyond the stones but there's still a fantastic concert future for them that will enhance their legacy and i think MT should be in on that.

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: January 7, 2013 19:18

21stcenturystones
you all are forgetting - they would have to pay him, and it would cut into there take. ain't happenin. they are too greedy
i would welcome Taylor back with Keef and Ronnie .the money would be an issue that is for sure!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: Justin ()
Date: January 7, 2013 19:38

Three guitars would almost ruin the sound, especially since all three guitarists would be fighting to be heard. Keith, Ron and Taylor all on full volume? Yeeesssh. What a mess....a lot of egos, competition and very little sound space to pull it off without some intense rehearsals to divide up parts and sections.

Date: January 7, 2013 22:18

Justin
Three guitars would almost ruin the sound, especially since all three guitarists would be fighting to be heard. Keith, Ron and Taylor all on full volume? Yeeesssh. What a mess....a lot of egos, competition and very little sound space to pull it off without some intense rehearsals to divide up parts and sections.
Yes that's the general mood around here that our 3 lovelies could not make it anything but mess. Taylor as great as he is, is not a studio guy in any way. I imagine the amount of rehearsals would be unpractical. When someone mentioned the E Streeters a flag went up, Bruce's guitar assault is truly horrible. Still bringing Taylor on a big tour for one number or two seems very anti rock and roll. In my minds eye I can imagine it but can they?

Date: January 7, 2013 23:17

Taylor could play the much maligned ukelele...that would be a fantastical journey through the sublime...and I bet he'd tear up Street Fighting Man like he used too.

Date: January 7, 2013 23:57

Munichhilton
Taylor could play the much maligned ukelele...that would be a fantastical journey through the sublime...and I bet he'd tear up Street Fighting Man like he used too.

ronnie plays a somewhat unique pedal steel ukelele...or is it a lapsteel one?

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1695
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home