Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: What Happened to Plundered My Soul?
Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: January 4, 2013 18:11

While I like the studio version of Doom, it was the low point of the PPV concert as far as I was concerned.

It would have been nice to hear more of a mini-set with Taylor, and have him do Sway, CYHMK and PMS in addition to Rambler.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: January 4, 2013 18:54

Mick wouldn't even come close to singing it the way it is on the album, he'd do it like he does Rocks Off - rather pointless, really. The low register, the sort of talk-sing that he does.

And really, anyone that thinks Ronnie would nail what Mick Taylor did on that is crazy - a bit too much touch on that one for Ronnie to even sideswipe at like he does with CYHMK etc.

Date: January 5, 2013 00:39

DoomandGloom
He screwed up Happy when I saw them in Brooklyn, I doubt he was ready to sing a "new" song but I'd do anything to hear them play "Soul Survivor." That's what they are of course.

[/quote]

The part IO highlighted is my favorite part of the whole thread

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: January 5, 2013 00:45

People would probably get bored after a minute or so that song goes nowhere, heck it was bad enough that no one bothered bootlegging it (just kidding tongue sticking out smiley)...they've got a lot of better stuff to play post-81.

I was looking at the '89 PPV the other day and was amazed to see them play a great version of Undercover, had completely forgotten they'd played it that day. One Hit from Toronto was good too, Harlem Shuffle not so much, quickly boring too.

Posted by: mickjagger1009 ()
Date: January 5, 2013 01:37

Elmo Lewis
I'd rather hear "Plundered" than "Doom".

Excellent point!

"You'll be studying history and you'll be down the gym. And I'll be down the pub, probably playing pool and drinking."

Posted by: slew ()
Date: January 5, 2013 01:45

Buffalo7478 - I would loved to have heard Plundered My Soul but a bathroom break during Satisfaction??? You must be joking? I can see that you've heard it enough and all of that but at a 50th anniversary show where they play five shows do you really think that Satisfaction is not going to be played?? How can they leave the song out that put them into Beatles territory?? That is one of the four or five greatest rock songs of all time. Bathroom break or eaving is not an option especially if the shows were the last but by the sounds of it there will be shows in 2013.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: January 5, 2013 07:33

DandelionPowderman
The song is a light-weighter, compared with all the great songs they have to choose from...

Maybe, but compared to "One More Shot" it's freaking Gimme Shelter.

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: January 5, 2013 07:38

Wow! Light weighter? PMS? Just can't be. When I first heard the opening licks and the wonderful harmony of Mick Taylor gelling with The Stones. After decades? It was spine chilling. An amazing explosion of happiness, with a LA story of loss and regrets. An instant later day/retro classic.

But I also love Doom and Gloom and One More Shot. But they are strange in a way, kind of like their version of The White Album. They are in separate corners composing with an vision in their head, and then deliver it to the group for them to back it. SOme great rock and roll though.

Posted by: stupidguy2 ()
Date: January 5, 2013 08:24

whitem8
Wow! Light weighter? PMS? Just can't be. When I first heard the opening licks and the wonderful harmony of Mick Taylor gelling with The Stones. After decades? It was spine chilling. An amazing explosion of happiness, with a LA story of loss and regrets. An instant later day/retro classic.

I had that same reaction from those first opening notes, minor 7 chords. But what really cemented it was Jagger's voice and lyrics. He sounded inspired....the sense of regret and loss is so powerful in this song and Taylor's presence just made it holy.
I still say that PMS just might be the last great Stones song, ever...because I don't know how they could ever top it.

Date: January 5, 2013 08:40

Yes, exactly stupidguy2. You are right, Jagger's lyrics and his singing with Mick Taylor playing behind him was a powerful lament on the past and present. Wonderful, and a very sentimental moment. The creme le creme would have been if Keith would have been more involved. But, his past was still on it, so it worked. Beautifully. I know you feel it too Tele! I know it! Come on Rockman! YOu too brother. I know you love it.

Posted by: stupidguy2 ()
Date: January 5, 2013 09:24

whitem8
Yes, exactly stupidguy2. You are right, Jagger's lyrics and his singing with Mick Taylor playing behind him was a powerful lament on the past and present. Wonderful, and a very sentimental moment. The creme le creme would have been if Keith would have been more involved. But, his past was still on it, so it worked. Beautifully. I know you feel it too Tele! I know it! Come on Rockman! YOu too brother. I know you love it.

Yes, the song is a strange sort of culmination of all those years..as if their history belonged to us as well....or was a part of our lives in some small way.
You feel the warmth and resonance with Taylor's part in the song. As if after all those years, the song, the track had been laying there... just waiting patiently and untouched for Jagger to get around to confronting those ghosts and his own sins to finally give it life, a sort of redemptive resolution.
You feel the regret, the wistful melancholy in Jagger's voice and lyrics, but also the beautiful chords...they fit the song's mournful vibe. I also wonder if Jagger wanted to recapture what he had always been able to do with Taylor on some of his more evocative songs, like Moonlight Mile, Winter.....
This song is a masterpiece.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-01-05 09:36 by stupidguy2.

Posted by: The Wick ()
Date: January 5, 2013 09:34

If it was Dylan, we may have had a shot at hearing some deep cuts but we generally know what we're getting. On Shine A Light Scorsese said they played songs they've never played before but we had all heard them. That said, nothing would make me hear a club version of Plundered My Soul with Mick Taylor showing them how it's done.

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: January 5, 2013 09:42

flilflam
... I was really hoping we could hear that at the recent concerts...

I am guessing that they actually forgot about it by the time they started rehearsing.

Date: January 5, 2013 14:23

71Tele
DandelionPowderman
The song is a light-weighter, compared with all the great songs they have to choose from...

What??? OMS was awesome in London. Obviously written to be performed live. Don't wanna think of what Mick would do on the bridge on PMS live...

Posted by: ghostryder13 ()
Date: January 5, 2013 15:06

not many artists perform outtakes in concert

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: January 5, 2013 15:10

ghostryder13
not many artists perform outtakes in concert

it's rocknroll, not art - but yeah, ok....

Posted by: exhpart ()
Date: January 5, 2013 15:58

NoCode0680
Mick has a very short attention span. Even though this was the first set of shows since the Exile reissue, that was 2010. Might as well be 1910 to Mick. Mick seems to have two trains of thought. Number one is new stuff, get it out there, play the new stuff, move some records. The other is responsibility to the classics, playing the old songs people want to hear. It's all about "the right now" and "the distant past", the recent past doesn't seem to interest him all that much.

2 markets: the devotees (I guess that's everyone on iorr) who loves to hear rarities and (now) official bootlegs and the opening of the archives

the concert going generic fan who's paid 500 US or GBP and would be a bit miffed not to hear his or her favourites

Looking forward to hearing Ventilator Blues next tour!

Date: January 6, 2013 05:28

stupidguy2
whitem8

Yes, the song is a strange sort of culmination of all those years..as if their history belonged to us as well....or was a part of our lives in some small way.
You feel the warmth and resonance with Taylor's part in the song. As if after all those years, the song, the track had been laying there... just waiting patiently and untouched for Jagger to get around to confronting those ghosts and his own sins to finally give it life, a sort of redemptive resolution.
You feel the regret, the wistful melancholy in Jagger's voice and lyrics, but also the beautiful chords...they fit the song's mournful vibe. I also wonder if Jagger wanted to recapture what he had always been able to do with Taylor on some of his more evocative songs, like Moonlight Mile, Winter.....
Wonderfully written. Spot on.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: January 6, 2013 08:53

StonesTod
RobertJohnson
Boring track, no need to play it live ... except they add a bridge eventually.

excellent point. a rock song without a bridge is like a day without sunshine. or is it orange juice? well, it's something.

No bridge on "Like A Rolling Stone". Somehow that one worked out ok.

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: January 6, 2013 14:43

71Tele
StonesTod
RobertJohnson

excellent point. a rock song without a bridge is like a day without sunshine. or is it orange juice? well, it's something.

good point. i guess a lousy song like plundered is like a day without orange juice, then.

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: January 6, 2013 15:50

-

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-01-06 15:54 by Erik_Snow.

Posted by: proudmary ()
Date: January 6, 2013 16:31

stupidguy2
whitem8

Totally agreee - it's a masterpiece
I think Mick knows the value of this song - he invested too much in it to easily dismiss it as yet another filler of little interest. I think Richards did not want to learn it - for him it's brand new song. I read in an interview where he said that he had to learn I Wanna Be Your Man like it was a very big deal to him. So yet another new song? May be for him in his condition it's an impossible task. In addition, he may be still mad that Mick called Taylor to record his part without inform him

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: January 6, 2013 16:55

mickjagger1009
Elmo Lewis

Excellent point!

I'd rather hear Doom and Gloom - The opening lyric- "Last night I dreamed I was piloting a plane and all the passengers were drunk and insane."

This song is so relevant to today's news!! There are actually drunks on flights now that have to be constrained by Duct Tape!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-01-06 18:06 by Chris Fountain.

Posted by: NoCode0680 ()
Date: January 6, 2013 18:01

jamesfdouglas
NoCode0680
Mick has a very short attention span. Even though this was the first set of shows since the Exile reissue, that was 2010. Might as well be 1910 to Mick. Mick seems to have two trains of thought. Number one is new stuff, get it out there, play the new stuff, move some records. The other is responsibility to the classics, playing the old songs people want to hear. It's all about "the right now" and "the distant past", the recent past doesn't seem to interest him all that much.

Well, take 1973, the recent past of the last five years was almost all they played. And 1981 - lots of stuff played from 1978 and even a few from 1980.

I think this a his Vegas way of thinking, from 1989 to now. They mostly haven't come out with anything in that whole period that people care to hear, becaseu frankly, they aren't exactly putting out modern classics for people to care about.... Plundered My Soul, in my opinion, is not forgotten because it's not good, but because it was wasted as a tack-on to Exlie's re-release, putting it WAY under the radar for the average music fan to know or care about it, which is a shame. Some goes for a lot of the Some Girls stuff.

I almost DID expect a nod to those tunes. But hey, a proper tour just might gives us those, if they do a cool 2002 type of tour.

Nah....

I'm talking more recently, as in post-'89, not '73 or '81.

Posted by: DoomandGloom ()
Date: January 6, 2013 18:22

Chris Fountain
mickjagger1009
Elmo Lewis

Excellent point!

I'd rather hear Doom and Gloom - The opening lyric- "Last night I dreamed I was piloting a plane and all the passengers were drunk and insane."

This song is so relevant to today's news!! There are actually drunks on flights now that have to be constrained by Duct Tape!
Me too

Date: January 6, 2013 19:17

DoomandGloom
Chris Fountain
mickjagger1009
Elmo Lewis

Excellent point!

Me too

This could be a great, great stadium Sports song like Start me Up for example - But the lyrics won't allow this to be one of those type of great stadium sports songs. Weee who knows? Maybe they could play It at A Cleveland Browns or KC chiefs

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: January 6, 2013 19:42

71Tele
DandelionPowderman

+1

Date: January 6, 2013 21:13

Redhotcarpet
71Tele
DandelionPowderman

+1

If comparable to any other song, which doesn't ring true - but if similarility is the subject - how about a slow downed version of Luxury with a different twist? Only an opinion-

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: January 7, 2013 05:47

StonesTod
71Tele
StonesTod
RobertJohnson

good point. i guess a lousy song like plundered is like a day without orange juice, then.

What's wrong with pineapple juice?

Posted by: Glammy ()
Date: January 7, 2013 12:44

Elmo Lewis

I concur.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2047
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home