Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT : improving English - Fag Hag
Posted by: The Joker ()
Date: January 21, 2005 19:15

Fag Hag : heterosexual woman who enjoys the friendship of homosexual men (Offensive Slang)

My question : does this word applies also to women who bed with gays?

Re: OT : improving English - Fag Hag
Posted by: KeithRichards ()
Date: January 21, 2005 19:16

A gay man sleeping with women is an oxymoron, isn't it?
By the way, does "to bed with" mean "to sleep with"?

Date: January 21, 2005 19:41

This is not a joke, I use this word for an exercise - I follow subediting online lectures with a press insitute, this week I work on tabloid headings.

Yes, to bed means to have sex. By the way, I wonder if it reads "bed with gays", or "bed gays" without "with".

Date: January 21, 2005 19:46

Perhaps this article helps you:

Fag hag
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.

Fag hag is a slang term, either abusive or highly admiring, for a (usually straight) woman who likes to hang out with gay men. Gay men and fag hags often share a very close friendship, sometimes even closer than they might have with other women or men. Some would say that fag hags are pitied based on the assumption that their fascination with gay men lies in infatuation, which will most likely never be consummated. However, many fag hag relationships contain no romantic feelings on the woman's part; indeed, many fag hags are lesbian.

Synonyms include fruit fly and fairy godmother.

Judy Garland has been characterized as a fag hag.

Julia Roberts' character in The Mexican developed a fag hag-type relationship with a gay hit man, Winston Baldry, played by James Gandolfini. Other media examples include the show Will & Grace and the film The Object of My Affection.

The slang terms dyke tyke or Dutch boy have been used occasionally to refer to a male with extensive platonic friendships with lesbians, but this usage is far less common.

Quotation

"I love the word 'faggot' because it describes my kind of guy! You see, I am a fag hag. Fag hags are the backbone of the gay community. Without us, you're nothing! We have been there all through history guiding your sorry ass down the underground railroad! ... We went to the prom with you!"

- Margaret Cho

Date: January 21, 2005 19:52

Yes, thanks, that is very precise.

The words "which will most likely never be consummated" mean that it could also be consummated.

Date: January 22, 2005 00:25

The Joker Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> > Fag Hag : heterosexual woman who enjoys the
> friendship of homosexual men (Offensive Slang)
>
> My question : does this word applies also to women
> who bed with gays?

Yeah, I've never thought of it this way but, yes, I suppose it does mean that. There are some gay men who do have sex w/women. And maybe women are tired of waking up w/'east river truckers, churning in trash'.

Posted by: jostorm ()
Date: January 22, 2005 03:09

The written English on this board sometimes makes me cringe no end ,a lot of people have the most attrocious spelling and grammar,( and I'm talking about those people whose mother language IS English, not at all about "foreigners", them I applaude for posting in the first place!) Nevertheless, I would never presume to correct anyone....However, dear Joker, as I am aware that you are learning English trying to improve your journalism, I'll just point this one out:

The expression is not "to bed with" someone, but "to bed someone", so for example:

I bed you,
You bed me,
We bed them

and so on.

And very by the way, I have quite a few gay men as friends and clients, and the one thing I have to say about the subject is that without exception they are much more in tune with and articulate about their feelings than for example my husband, who is a testosterone-oozing prime specimen of "male" without being a machist...I consider my gay men just like another honorary girlfriend, am extremely fond of them and love to hang out and chat with them, but the notion of bedding any of them is simply bizarre!

Johanna

Posted by: Limbostone ()
Date: January 22, 2005 03:13

I bed you farewell, darling. (I'm off to bed)

(Is the expression 'hero in socks' common in English too (like in Dutch)? If so, then I suspect your hussy is one, despite his testosterone level winking smiley)

Date: January 22, 2005 05:46

jostorm Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The written English on this board sometimes makes
> me cringe no end ,a lot of people have the most
> attrocious spelling and grammar,( and I'm talking
> about those people whose mother language IS
> English, not at all about "foreigners", them I
> applaude for posting in the first place!)
> Nevertheless, I would never presume to correct
> anyone....However, dear Joker, as I am aware that
> you are learning English trying to improve your
> journalism, I'll just point this one out:
>
> The expression is not "to bed with" someone, but
> "to bed someone", so for example:
>
> I bed you,
> You bed me,
> We bed them
>
> and so on.
>
> And very by the way, I have quite a few gay men as
> friends and clients, and the one thing I have to
> say about the subject is that without exception
> they are much more in tune with and articulate
> about their feelings than for example my husband,
> who is a testosterone-oozing prime specimen of
> "male" without being a machist...I consider my gay
> men just like another honorary girlfriend, am
> extremely fond of them and love to hang out and
> chat with them, but the notion of bedding any of
> them is simply bizarre!
>
> Johanna
>

Johanna, I take my Basque Beret off to you. But here in the States we still call 'bedding' f*cking. In my old age (I'll be 46 on 7/2/05), I've survived AIDS (ALL my friends and boyfriends from the 80s are DEAD. When I saw that f*cking flag at half mast for Ronald Reagan's death I went ballistic, telling my parents, friends, and anybody else who'd listen that it made me boil over with RAGE because when I saw that flag at half staff I though of all the gay men I'd known that died horribly because Ronald Reagan resolutely refused to acknowledge the problem of HIV as early as 1984). What I'm concerned about now re: casual sex, is spreading the herpes virus. So, I remain happily celibate. Luckily, I was around during the 'good old days' of bath houses and bonking your brains out all night w/guys you'd never met and wouldn't even recognize on the street again if you saw them!

"The wonder of Jimi Hendrix was that he could stand up at all he was so pumped full of drugs." Patsy, Patsy Stone

Date: January 22, 2005 11:19

Thank you for your accurate comment, Johanna

Date: January 23, 2005 23:36

Sorry, I didn't mean to be rude by ignoring you all, I was unable to get onto the net since my last post....

LIMBOSTONE: I think you've just invented a new and extremely funny figure of speech! "To bed farewell"= could mean making love to your girlfriend one last time.Then, immediately after rolling off in male fashion and abandonning her to the cold clamminess of the wet patch you could then add ( after stubbing out your cigarette and before starting to snore): "and by the way, Darlin, it's over!"
So, what does "hero in socks" mean when people say it in Dutch??? It doesn't ring a bell at all in English , but I imagine it applied to men who may not be particularly athletic, but who have just done something "banal-heroic" like going out in the rain to the shops and bringing some muchneeded milk back and getting totally soaked in the process....

MENACEOFMAYFAIR: Guess what? On this side of the pond "bedding" someone means exactly the same, except that normal British citizens have less of an inclination to use constant "@#$%& Patois" than Americans ...."@#$%& Patois" is what Tom Wolfe calls it in his latest novel "I am Charlotte Simmons", when people use the word "@#$%&" as everything: verb, noun, object, adjevctive,etc. etc....., it's either a means of covering up the fact that their active vocabularly only encompasses 35 words altogether, or it's a sign of wanting to seem "cool" when with their peergroup.... Instead Brits "euphemise" a lot.....The British are funny in that respect, my best friend used to be totally unable of uttering the word "@#$%&" ,which used to make me crack up laughing, it took me five years of saying "go on, Jenny, I know you can do it, just slowly repeat after me "f... off!")
Brits are much more likely to say "he got his leg over", "she was his bit on the side", "he's bedding her"or some other euphemism , and it is usually deemed rude and unnecessarily crude to actually say the f word, at least if you're a professional grownup with an IQ higher than your shoesize .....
As to the second and very serious part of your post: Do you mean you got away unscathed and are HIV-negative?, or do you live with the disease but it's kept under control with drugs, stressfree healthy lifestyle etc?.....
I can remember when the first cases appeared around 1983 in Germany, I then worked in a bloodbank/lab at weekends to finnance my studies and must have been one of the first 1000 people to be tested in Germany, as we all regularly spilled bloodserum onto our hands. We were meant to wear latex gloves in the lab all day, but no one ever did, because your hands were sweaty and it felt horrible....I count myself lucky in so far as I have only lost three very good friends to different types of cancer, and I only have one friend who is HIV positive (but, knock on wood, so far so good !).....I can't even begin to imagine what it must feel like to loose ALL your friends to some dreadful disease, see them all slowly fade away and their lights go out. So I do sympathise with your anger at Reagan. I suppose I lived a similar lifestyle as yours (AFTER the pill and BEFORE AIDS), similar in as much as you still felt free and immortal, I'd hate to think what it must be like for young people nowadays, with this Damocles sword dangling over your head all the time.....
Horrible to think how parts of Africa are slowly being eaten away by HIV, with up to 60% of kids orphaned to this disease in some countries, and the prevailing ignorance and machismo stopping anyone from acknowledging the problem. I believe that in some african countries local customs make it worse, because if a woman widows due to AIDS, then it is custom for her exhusband's brother to take her on as additional new wife...I believe that Nelson Mandela and another african statesman just recently publicly announced they lost sons to AIDS, it is generally still a big taboo....
Unfortunately there will always be ignorant right-wing people who simply state it is God's punishment for a sick and depraved and excessive lifestyle, tolerance is a rare currency, even nowadays...
Anyway, take care!
Johanna

Date: January 23, 2005 23:56

Johanna, just a quick question - can you recommend Tom Wolfe's new book?
I only read "A Man in Full" so far, which I enjoyed very much.

Btw, I think "sock hero" exists in Austria (and I guess in Germany) too - Sockenheld/Sockenkönig I think...but Pantoffeltiger (pantoffel=slippers) is more common. I don't know how exactly to describe the meaning, it's a man who pretends to be a hero, but in real he's a coward and "steht unterm Schlapfen" (pussy-whipped?)

Date: January 24, 2005 17:56

KR: yes, I can, very much so! Wolfe is a genius in bringing people alive through his writing. As far as I know it's a fairly new publication and out in english hardback edition only, but no doubt paperback will follow in a few months, you should certainly read it in English, as your English is excellent.....
The one thing this book certainly did, is to make me understand the strange behaviour of american men a bit better. It used to irritate the hell out of me seing grownup professional males sitting in the hotelbar, looking like 8year olds, baseball cap backwards, shorts and ample t-shirt, watching the current american football game while drinking masses of beer and hollering and throwing popcorn in the air when their side scored.....Now it probably will still irritate me, but I understand it....
Quite an eyeopener in many ways, and God! are american universities a world away from German ones!!!!....

I have to say that I had never heard the term "Pantoffelheld", but "unterm Schlapfen stehen" seems the perfect translation for "being under someone's thumb", which so brilliantly makes this a Stones-related post again......

Posted by: davido ()
Date: January 25, 2005 00:37

In Canadian English eh, we don't say
we "bed" someone, we say we "@#$%&" them.
Sheesh. The worlds a crazy place...................;-)

Date: January 25, 2005 00:41

Hey I think I got censored!!!

Let me try the "f word" again.........@#$%&!

Or theres "boink" as in I "boinked" her/ she "boinked" me......

How bout down in Oz? They seem to
have a pretty good grasp o' ye
Englishe language too.................

Date: January 25, 2005 00:45

Ha ha ha it's true!!!

Try it. "F word is okay, "boink" too
but not @#$%&. @#$%& @#$%& @#$%& @#$%&.....

Listen I've spoken English all my life,
hear it everyday, and @#$%& is a word
even in some dictionaries.......

Oh well suppose can have @#$%& fun
with this one.................

Let's see how it appears.......

I @#$%&
You @#$%&
We @#$%&
She's @#$%&
@#$%& off
@#$%& okay
Go @#$%& yerself.

Can be used in so many ways, as so many
parts of speech. Great Monty Python sketch
on this by the way..................

Well. This is a new wrinkle.............................

Date: January 25, 2005 00:47

Okay so seems is okay second tryin a row of 6 @#$%&.
Or if something is @#$%& okay, or we're telling somebody
to @#$%& off Makes sense to me (not!)

Date: January 25, 2005 00:52

Try it and let me know please
if I'm having a druggy flashback.....
Type in the "F word". Does @#$%& appear?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2268
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home