Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Stones Pay per View "One More Shot" Buyrates "moderately successful”
Posted by: ROPENI ()
Date: December 26, 2012 20:05

"If" the article is correct,and the PPV was only"moderately successful"to me it means that it did not sell,and to think that The Stones and THe WWE,were not hoping to make a killing with the show,is ridiculous...

"No dope smoking no beer sold after 12 o'clock"

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: December 26, 2012 20:25

Woz
Max'sKansasCity
treaclefingers
Woz
I don't think the point was to make money, but rather to generate buzz and to be viewed by as many people as possible, paid or free, in order to generate demand for concert tickets in 2013.

Yes exactly, what possible reason could they or WWE have for making money on this venture?

Why make money???...
Maybe because they like money. Do you like money?

LOL....so literal..... the point I was making is the overarching goal wasn't simply a PPV for the money, but for the PR and selling of future concert tickets. Not sure what is so hard to understand about that. In other words, of course they wanted to turn a profit, but theree is/was far more value in demonstrating they can still play and are worth shelling out big bucks to see....

I agree about why charge over 3 times what an actual ticket to attend a concert cost in 1981 for a PPV. I think this is the first time they have charged that much... arent these PPVs done as an add on deal to get people to sign up for HBO or something?... and I think they have done well with those, both for promoting themselves and HBO.

I would have thought the main goal would have been to get as many eyes/ears on them playing well, and kicking ass, as posssible... and it appears that did not happen, and is not happening as the WWE has taking down Youtube videos of the PPV show as fast as they are posted (which un like typical Stones behavior regarding their videos there)(So I blame the WWE). Usually the Stones do well when they make a deal with the Devil, but it looks like they may have made a mistake this time.

UNLESS..... they actually, really did sell 2-3 million+ PPVs and they are just fading on the numbers, as no actual numbers have been were released.. I thought for sure George Licks would let us know, but I guess the stats are not available.

Posted by: Woz ()
Date: December 26, 2012 20:44

ROPENI
"If" the article is correct,and the PPV was only"moderately successful"to me it means that it did not sell,and to think that The Stones and THe WWE,were not hoping to make a killing with the show,is ridiculous...

I would think the Stones had a minimum guaranteed.....additional value to them being PR plus wany upside if they sold "X" amount. I suspect for them it was a win-win, maybe no to so much for WWE, but its WWE.....who cares?

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: December 26, 2012 21:54

StonesTod
GasLightStreet
sweetcharmedlife
flacnvinyl
ROPENI
Rolling H, As whether this PPV was successful or not.
l don't think it was,l believe many Stones fans,that were upset with the band cause of their greediness with tickets prices also refused to buy the PPV,l did not buy it,and had it downloaded on my computer the next morning for free...

I agree with you somewhat. $50 for instant gratification vs $20 for the bluray when it inevitably comes out. Or, as you discussed, the torrent that became available mere hours after the show had ended.

I genuinely feel a sharp disconnect with my favorite band. The ticket prices were not just 'high', they were insane and insulting. They got what they wanted, and it is their business. I just could never justify those prices for what folks got.

A buddy of mine went to the show on the 13th, and that was a FAR better show than what we saw on the PPV. FAR better. Less guests, more focus, better setlist... THAT is the only gig I wish I could have attended on this tour. BUT, once Rambler is over, the show is really over. The last half of every show is complete boredom for me. It shouldn't be like this. For a band who has produced as much music as the Stones, the setlist should not be this predictable. They have lost their balls when it comes to challenging the crowd.
Look back on thier history. They've never been known for their challenging setlists. Even in their prime. They stuck to a core group of songs and just played the hell out of them. It would be nice to see them change it around as much as someone like Springsteen does. But it's not going to happen.

Perhaps the Some Girls tour could be considered 'challenging their audience'. U2 did a similar thing in 1992 by playing most of a new album. The Tattoo You tour also was not a typial set list. The Licks tour had some shows that were not typical and may have been challenging to some people that don't own Emotional Rescue.

scl stands corrected.
Actually I'm sitting.

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: December 26, 2012 22:31

sweetcharmedlife
StonesTod
GasLightStreet
sweetcharmedlife
flacnvinyl
ROPENI
Rolling H, As whether this PPV was successful or not.
l don't think it was,l believe many Stones fans,that were upset with the band cause of their greediness with tickets prices also refused to buy the PPV,l did not buy it,and had it downloaded on my computer the next morning for free...

I agree with you somewhat. $50 for instant gratification vs $20 for the bluray when it inevitably comes out. Or, as you discussed, the torrent that became available mere hours after the show had ended.

I genuinely feel a sharp disconnect with my favorite band. The ticket prices were not just 'high', they were insane and insulting. They got what they wanted, and it is their business. I just could never justify those prices for what folks got.

A buddy of mine went to the show on the 13th, and that was a FAR better show than what we saw on the PPV. FAR better. Less guests, more focus, better setlist... THAT is the only gig I wish I could have attended on this tour. BUT, once Rambler is over, the show is really over. The last half of every show is complete boredom for me. It shouldn't be like this. For a band who has produced as much music as the Stones, the setlist should not be this predictable. They have lost their balls when it comes to challenging the crowd.
Look back on thier history. They've never been known for their challenging setlists. Even in their prime. They stuck to a core group of songs and just played the hell out of them. It would be nice to see them change it around as much as someone like Springsteen does. But it's not going to happen.

Perhaps the Some Girls tour could be considered 'challenging their audience'. U2 did a similar thing in 1992 by playing most of a new album. The Tattoo You tour also was not a typial set list. The Licks tour had some shows that were not typical and may have been challenging to some people that don't own Emotional Rescue.

scl stands corrected.
Actually I'm sitting.

st stands corrected

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: December 26, 2012 22:48

Max'sKansasCity
I would have thought the main goal would have been to get as many eyes/ears on them playing well, and kicking ass, as posssible... and it appears that did not happen,

That's what they did with the excellent Yahoo streaming PPV sold for a grand total of $4.99 in most areas of the world except for the US (was it $19.99) and I'm sure they sold a lot of these, but of course the dudes at DirectTV have no idea of what these numbers are.

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: December 26, 2012 22:59

I just got back from my 3 1/2 week trip and noticed that Time Warner On Demand is offering it for $44.95 in HD (don't know if it's less without HD).

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: December 26, 2012 23:03

BluzDude
I just got back from my 3 1/2 week trip and noticed that Time Warner On Demand is offering it for $44.95 in HD (don't know if it's less without HD).

Lucky for you to have it in HD - that means the awful mix will really be awful! You'll be able to hear the murkiness splendidly. You'll be able to hear its awfulity in HD quality! Hurry and run to your nearest PPV dealer, where they save you the trouble of making change and have it for exactly $45.

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: December 26, 2012 23:03

BluzDude

if it is, i recommending getting the non-HD and just squinting...

Posted by: flacnvinyl ()
Date: December 26, 2012 23:11

I think the numbers are low. I, along with almost every fan I know, did not purchase the PPV. $50 for the true hd stream on cable and $20 for the super-compressed web stream on Yahoo. Screw that.

It was an expensive private party that the mass public did not attend. Fun party, but not widely known. Additionally, most fans were put off by the stupid high price. With ticket prices at an all time high, I'm sure they thought $50 for 2 hours of live entertainment 'sounds about right'.

Most of us opted to get our kids something for Christmas, rather than watch the PPV. Thankfully with the proliferation of smartphones and DSLRs, we have recordings of almost every performance in excellent quality. This tour has been a joy to watch, for free, thanks to fans and youtube. Admittedly I would be very frustrated to be in the pit surrounded by people holding their cellphones up.

That must be what Jagger sees all the time now. No faces, just the backs of cell phones and flashes of light.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: December 26, 2012 23:23

So Mick searchs the faceless crowd he just sees a swirling mass of multi-coloured iPones and Androids that look real to him or, in fact, like hand-held teleprompters?

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1977
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home