Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: Thoughts About Mick Taylor and the Stones
Posted by: MCDDTLC ()
Date: January 17, 2005 19:25

Sam - The "official" stance on Mr. Wood is he's still just a friend helping out,
be that a high-priced friend and not a "official" member. At least that's the
last data I saw on the subject a few years ago, have you heard/saw anything recent? And I'm not talkin being brought back into the band, just a one night
gig like Ron just did with Rod Stewart, they could do it in London, invite Wyman,
don't know if he would be up to it but Taylor would - MLC

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: January 17, 2005 19:40

The following are just random considerations that come after listening to 70-73 boots and post stones MT stuff.

1. MT is/was an incredible guitarist

2. OT: ron wood was also absolutely amazing. I am not interested in discussing who was the best between the two.

3. MT needs a "back bone". I don't like (just a matter of taste) how he relates to the drumming when he plays without a second guitarist. K "forced" MT to play with a timing which is missing in his post stones period. Just compare, say, GYYYO with some boot of MT with Bob Dylan (basically Bob's sound and band structure those days was very close to the sound of the stones in the early 70). This leads to the next step-

4. It is true that MJ interplayed with T's melodic lines in a way that is now missing. Let's face it: those solos were a gas! On the other hand it is true that also MT interplayed (one migh argue: he was forced to) more with the other members of the band. THe post stones MT is more a "one man's show"

5. MT developed drammatically his style during the stones years, but did not go any further once he lest the band.

6. MT is a boring songwriter

7. MT simply CAN'T sing

8. I would be nice to see a line up with MT AND RW. I wonder how MT could interact with RW (or rather the opposite)

9. K is one of the most underrated guitarist

10. I can easily play MT's solo on TWFNO, my attempts to play RW's SG lines suck-

C

Posted by: OpenG ()
Date: January 17, 2005 19:48

MT did not go any futher when he left the stones is crazy he put out two
records that were better musically then any stones record with the exception
of keith's 2 records.1979 and A Stones Throw are great records by MT.

Listen to BROKEN HANDS or TWISTED SISTER those songs rock and the stones have
not rocked since he left.MT wrote a great song in Leather Jacket about you know
who MJ.

Keith or Ronnie shoud listen to SlowBlues that MT wrote and learn how to
play those blues licks the real way without using shortcuts

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: January 17, 2005 20:11

Let me re-phrase it. I am not saying that works like 1979 or AST were bad. I am saying that a part from some fusion or latin contamination, and a part from the fact that he now doesn't use a pick so often, basically what you hear on his post stone stuff is what he was while with the stones. Which is great, btw.

This is not true for K, just compare his guitar work during the Taylor years with what he did in the 80s

C

Date: January 17, 2005 21:10

Liddas - I, for one, loved Keith's rhythm playing behind Taylor back in the 70's
that's my favorite Keith period!! the foundation he lay's for; Midnight Rambler
in their (un-released) movie: Ladies & Gents is awesome! and you can tell by looking at him that he was digging the sound coming off the stage back in those
days!!!! MLC

Posted by: Deidre ()
Date: January 17, 2005 21:38

K is still good and a joy to watch/listen to, (despite many cock-ups and fumbled solos) but he has never been as good as he was 69-73. He was so instinctive then. Now it's all conscious playing.

But let's not start a Keith versus Mick Taylor theme!

And Taylor's 'problem' was that he was so good, so young.
How could he possibly get any better?!

i.e.how do you improve on Perfection?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2005-01-17 21:39 by Deidre.

Posted by: Sam Spade ()
Date: January 18, 2005 00:44

The only reason Ronnie played with ol Rod is because Mr Wood was an original member of The Faces. One night only or not Bill Wyman has the inside edge.

I do think Mick Taylor's guitar was a great addition to the Stones, however, the question begs to be asked why does Eric Clapton play more live guest spots with them and Mick Taylor gets no invitation?

Age takes it's toll sooner or later, Mick can't hit the same notes live that he used to 30 or 35 years ago. I'm sure Keith must have arthitus in his fingers, Ronnie too for that matter.

To my knowledge Ronnie was made a full member back in 1994 for the VooDoo Lounge tour.

Date: January 18, 2005 13:30

Holy I listened to the 1973 boot from 9/30/73 from Frankfurt Germany 2nd show
and Taylor's guitar was real high in the mix and he does an amazing GS with his
fluidity but here he goes wild at the end sort of like what he does on SFM at the
end of that song.This might be the best GS version I have heard.Even Keith gets
in is trademark penatonic licks.

His tone is lean and mean.Also MT plays an amazing slide on BS and Happy.
On Angie its funny he kept on soloing as Jagger went back to the vocal verse
and drowned out the beginning of the verse.TD is unbelievable with Taylor
again going wild.YCAGWYW is 10 minutes and followed by MR which is 11 minutes.

This perfromance has Taylor's signature fluidity and vibrato but he also
changes pace and goes wild with his patterns up and down the fretboard

Date: January 18, 2005 14:38

Never liked what Taylor did on Tumblin' Dice or Happy. It didn't fit the song. Something is weird on Brown Sugar as well, even though some of the licks towards the end are marvellous.

Date: January 18, 2005 17:54

Sam - In regards to Ronnie being an "official" member in 94, that was not what
the Stones camp released publicly. The "official" statement I've always seen
is that he was a "friend" helping out not an official member of the band
aka Rolling Stone like Keith, MJ, Charlie or Wyman. The last time someone was
officially offered a "membership" in the band was Taylor..

all this probably has something to do with them not wanting to let another "member" walk out of the band, or them not wanting to have to admit they
broke up the Faces by stealing Ronnie... MLC

Posted by: stillife ()
Date: January 18, 2005 23:02

Since the Urban Jungle Tour the sound of the Stones got worse. Of course it would never happen but if Mick Taylor could do the next tour with the stones it would be much, much better in a musical way. Ronnie was good till 82, but now only MT could save the sound of the live concerts.

Posted by: T&A ()
Date: January 18, 2005 23:08

MLC - Sam is correct - RW was made a full partner in '94. That was disclosed via several official sources at the time.

Posted by: kahoosier ()
Date: January 18, 2005 23:49

MLC have to break it to ya, MT was never a "member" of the Stones, he was a hired gun at all times. Ronnie spent years in the same position, though it was his own choice to take the job on a salary wrongly based on what he thought the lonegvity was going to be of the Stones. Over a decade ago he was made, very legally and very publically, a full fledged and equal member of the Rolling Stones. Needless to say, it was more a legality and monetary move, because after 30 years, I am sure that most already feel he is a Stone.

Date: January 19, 2005 00:12

Kahoosier + T&A

OK - Last stuff I noticed on the subject was what I said so if you guys have
seen something that says Ronnie's an "official" member -I believe you, but the
interview I saw (at the time) stated Mick Taylor WAS offered membership back
when he joined, I'm sure he was paid a similiar percentage along the lines of
Charlie & Wyman... Next time Taylor play's in the States and has a:

meet & greet after the show I'll ask him - MLC

Posted by: stones40 ()
Date: January 19, 2005 00:54

For goodness sake Mick Taylor excellent guitar player left the Stones in 1974.
Then apparently the Stones career went completely downhill.
Is it just my imagination but have the Stones not played sell out tours from 1975- 2003 which suggests that the irreplaceable one might not actually have been missed.
Continual ref's that the Stones should invite him to rejoin the band are contrite.
Mick Taylor left the Stones in 1974 and hell will freeze over first before Mick Jagger will consider allowing MT to play a live song with the guys never mind re-joining the band.
We all have our heroes but readers must be wondering after reading the MT scribes why the band has not been renamed Mick Taylors Rolling Stones.
There is no harm in praising MT's solo guitar playing for he was excellent during his 5 years with the Stones both in live playing and record but he was not irreplaceable.

Posted by: stillife ()
Date: January 19, 2005 01:06

No one is irreplaceable but today the Stones have a lack of musical quality when it comes to play live. We have the clowning act instead of the art of weaving.

Posted by: Deidre ()
Date: January 19, 2005 01:10

No-one is saying he was irreplaceable. Obviously, in light of fact, that's wrong.

Many are saying that he is missed. Open G is just taking the time to say why Mick and his Stones were so good then. Open G and others still enjoy him in the present.

Hell must have frozen over in December (November?) of 1981.

Mick Taylor has a very good band and has played with some other great ones.

But my favourite Mick Taylor Band is still the one from 1969-73.

(MLC - hope you meet Mick T after a US show - but probably best not to ask too many "searching" questions about the Stones. He has moved on!).

Date: January 19, 2005 12:12

Be careful you guys about having your opinions on this....you might get asked to leave the board after being accused of being empty minded demosntarted by youer spouting alternatively garbage and piss on the basis that you have issue with MT and his fans! LOL trust me , I know after stating the same ideas on other posts hahahhahahahhahaha! We must only state such heresies in secrecy or suffer the wrath of those whose musical knowledge far exceeds our infantile grasp on things.

Date: January 19, 2005 12:55

I think MT needs to get the recognition he deserves and if we discuss him with
some threads along the way thats worth getting asked to leave the board.Even
when MT was in the band Keith Richards was referred to as the lead guitarist
by many rock journalists and concert reviews from 1972/73.Ryan Adams thinks
Keith played the solo on Winter thats why we need to talk about his contributions
during there golden era.

Date: January 19, 2005 13:34

Open G you misunderstand me, I agree that he shoud be recognized for what he did, though opinions on that may vary. But I am agreeing with Diedre and Stones 40 that there is life before after, and besides Mick Taylor. Admitting to those thoughts in another post, and then happily chortling with others that felt the same way, got me ruthlessly savaged with all the terms that you see me use above.

Basicallay I am just getting a jibe in at my attacker when I warn the others about being careful what they say. Childish , I know, but I just can't help myself at this point it has all gotten so heated and serious.

Date: January 19, 2005 14:05

I agree with you but life after Taylor was good to average at best and why would
anyone listen to the stones live after Taylor is hard to understand since they
never replaced him with a true player that could enrich the studio and live
material.I listen to Handsome Girls from 1978 and I get bored so easy and then
have to go back to 69,70,72.73

Posted by: john r ()
Date: January 19, 2005 19:59

Where is the 'official' info on RW after 30 years being a 'fiend' of the band helping out?? His pictures are on the covers, his name is w/in the list of band-members (not add'l sidemen) - & he has had about 10 'official' songwriting credits w/ J/R. I read he was brought in as an 'official' partner in 1993. Also, MT & RW can be heard to great effect on the first 2 RW albums (I especially like 'It's Unholy' from Now Look). the debut MT ('79) is imo uneven unless you're looking at purely as a guitar showcase - I mean except "Broken Hands" the songs aren't that good, (the ballad on side 1 is insipid) & MT sounds very stilted as a vocalist. The finale on side 2 is good but at times too 'pretty' - again not having a band for some creative interplay/friction. The live album w/ Carla is imo much better (& MT less cautious)

Posted by: Edward Twining ()
Date: January 19, 2005 20:00

Open G, i certainly agree about Handsome Girls - i was only thinking the very same thing today. Handsome Girls is brimming with energy but lacks that extra dimension Taylor brought to the group.Ronnie sounds to me very screechy Love In Vain just does not work for me on Handsome Girls either.
All my favourite live bootlegs are Taylor era.

Date: January 19, 2005 20:09

I agree Edward Rw's tone is tin and you have to try and listen to hear both
guitars which I hate.Having 2 Keiths and similiar players is boring and the
ancient form of weaving sells magazines and thats how Keith exlains there
live sound after Taylor.

I have always thought Keith is a musician right and knows whats good right,
when he listens to all those shows after Taylor don,t you think he knows how
average they sound but his keith like status will never admit it to anyone.

Posted by: Hound Dog ()
Date: January 19, 2005 20:36

In the Stones book According to the Stones, or whatever its called. Bill Wyman and Charlie Watts approached Mick during the Steel Wheels tour about Ronnie becoming an offical member of the band and making the same money as the rest of the band, so that is when he became an "official member."

And to say that Mick Taylor's solo efforts are better than anything the Stones have released since Taylor left is a joke. His songwriting is horrible and while there might be some good guitar on his solo stuff, besides that I would say the albums are very poor with the exception of a few songs.

I think this whole discussion needs a rest, we all know Taylor was a great guitarist and we all know he is not coming back.

Posted by: bruno ()
Date: January 19, 2005 20:42

Hound Dog wrote:

"I think this whole discussion needs a rest, we all know Taylor was a great guitarist and we all know he is not coming back"
------------------------------------------

I fully subscribe these words. The eternal Taylor vs. Woody discussion...

[There'll be no wedding today...]

Date: January 19, 2005 22:36

So Taylor's NEVER gonna get to play with the Stones again live???

I guess 1983 NEVER happened... unfortunally they didn't have time to rehearse,
he went from a Hotel room party to the stage and it didn't "work"

During the last tour Taylor told fans in Canada that he might play with the Stones in England, he "partied" with them and was backstage but for whatever reason he didn't play with them "that night" Keith has said about Taylor:

"We're Mates"

Unless your a member or work for the band (Bruno, Hound Dog,etc.) YOU DON'T KNOW!
anything can happen, it might not, but some of us will be pestering
JAGGER/RICHARDS forever hoping to make it happen - MLC

Date: January 19, 2005 22:42

Deidre - I've talked to Taylor (3) times and as long as you don't just blert out

" why did you quit the Rolling Stones" he'll discuss certain topics about that time in his life... MLC

Posted by: stones40 ()
Date: January 19, 2005 23:01

It would be great if the Stones would put the past behind them and ask Mick Taylor & Bill Wyman to come play with them one more time as guest artists in what is likely to be the last tour in 2005.
Wishful thinking on my part me thinks.

Posted by: Hound Dog ()
Date: January 19, 2005 23:37

MCDDTLC, a guest spot is one thing but I was talking about Taylor rejoining the band in Ronnie's place. That won't happen. Not sure if the guest thing would even happen but that is much more likely.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1729
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home