Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...2021222324252627282930...LastNext
Current Page: 25 of 37
Re: 12/12/12 comments as the show flows
Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: December 13, 2012 08:19

The Worst.
I can't understand why they didn't play Gimme Shelter. The lyrics would have fit perferct.
Lady Gaga wasn't available yet.

Posted by: Paddy ()
Date: December 13, 2012 08:20

WEIRD AND AWKWARD

Posted by: chelskeith ()
Date: December 13, 2012 08:21

Goodnight. See you all tomorrow.

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: December 13, 2012 08:22

The Worst.
I can't understand why they didn't play Gimme Shelter. The lyrics would have fit perferct.
Gimme Shelter is WAY too dark and apocalyptic for an event like this.

Anyway, great show. Had no idea I'd be up 'til 1:30 watching this.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: December 13, 2012 08:23

...and just lost the feed.

G'night all!

Posted by: Paddy ()
Date: December 13, 2012 08:24

Night

Posted by: TeddyB1018 ()
Date: December 13, 2012 08:28

Christ. This place. The Stones were great. They were not allowed to play more than the short set because of the upfront deal with the WWE, which preceded their joining this event. They headed straight to Newark to rehearse and work on sound. Everyone complains that they don't play anything after 1981 (including the New York Times review), so they play something a bit more recent, and people complain. I thought they were far and away the most spirited of the old guard and the guitars sounded nice and dirty and Charlie swing. As for he others, Eric's set was classy and Bruce was Bruce. I thought The Who and Eoger Waters were ossified classic rock. McCartney's set was kind of bizarre.

Posted by: Justin ()
Date: December 13, 2012 08:31

TeddyB1018
Christ. This place. The Stones were great. They were not allowed to play more than the short set because of the upfront deal with the WWE, which preceded their joining this event. They headed straight to Newark to rehearse and work on sound. Everyone complains that they don't play anything after 1981 (including the New York Times review), so they play something a bit more recent, and people complain. I thought they were far and away the most spirited of the old guard and the guitars sounded nice and dirty and Charlie swing. As for he others, Eric's set was classy and Bruce was Bruce. I thought The Who and Eoger Waters were ossified classic rock. McCartney's set was kind of bizarre.

Thought the same thing. It's lose-lose for the Stones. A few months ago, people here would've given up their first born to just hear them play a few notes together on stage. Talk about fickle.

Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: December 13, 2012 08:33

I see Justin packed it in. Couldn't handle the headliners.

Its pretty obvious that the Stones were holdouts and signed on late for the concert otherwise they would have gotten a longer slot. Maybe it was a punishment for being haughty but if they were in from the beginning no question they would have played longer. I can't believe that it would be fatigue for the next night.

McCartney played until almost 1:30 in the morning. A fantastic set.

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: December 13, 2012 08:35

TeddyB1018
Christ. This place. The Stones were great. They were not allowed to play more than the short set because of the upfront deal with the WWE, which preceded their joining this event. They headed straight to Newark to rehearse and work on sound. Everyone complains that they don't play anything after 1981(including the New York Times review), so they play something a bit more recent, and people complain. I thought they were far and away the most spirited of the old guard and the guitars sounded nice and dirty and Charlie swing. As for he others, Eric's set was classy and Bruce was Bruce. I thought The Who and Eoger Waters were ossified classic rock. McCartney's set was kind of bizarre.

Not everyone.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2012-12-13 08:37 by Max'sKansasCity.

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: December 13, 2012 08:35

Date: December 13, 2012 08:40

Max'sKansasCity
TeddyB1018
Christ. This place. The Stones were great. They were not allowed to play more than the short set because of the upfront deal with the WWE, which preceded their joining this event. They headed straight to Newark to rehearse and work on sound. Everyone complains that they don't play anything after 1981(including the New York Times review), so they play something a bit more recent, and people complain. I thought they were far and away the most spirited of the old guard and the guitars sounded nice and dirty and Charlie swing. As for he others, Eric's set was classy and Bruce was Bruce. I thought The Who and Eoger Waters were ossified classic rock. McCartney's set was kind of bizarre.

Not everyone.

Look Teddy...they only played two songs, and one of them was YGMR. I don't want to hear that in a set of 30 songs, never mind in a set of 2 songs.

With that said, they sounded great...you make a good point about the WWE arrangement. People are paying money to see them in a few nights and we're getting it absolutely free a few days early.

Don't want to cannibalize your sales!

Date: December 13, 2012 08:43

How is that Fuse has blocked the two uploads on YouTube for US residents?

Posted by: superrevvy ()
Date: December 13, 2012 08:44

Maybe because my tastes have changed, I'm still not particularly impressed with
the Stones act this time around BUT

I am totally amazed that Keith has significantly improved with each show,
loosening up, gaining confidence. He's definitely in the acceptable range now.
If he can step it up two more notches by Saturday, it will be quite something.

Otherwise, I was of course happy to hear Mick echo just a bit of my cynicism about
this event. "If it rains in London, you come help us, okay?" lol

Date: December 13, 2012 08:47

stonesrule
I agree the Stones were a non-factor.

StrawberriesBlueberries, I am assuming you have never stood on stage in a big arena but some of your critiques of Jagger on stage are ridiculous...to put it politely. I enjoyed your feelings re "Lady Jane" but that was then and this is now. Strawberries, When you've performed in front of 20,000 people on a big stage, then I will respect your opinions.

It generally takes at least two songs for most bands to get into the groove and Jagger doesn't have any particular breathing problems. And, Keith who was "sick" seemed quite well tonight.

I didn't state Keith was sick, if you still referred to me with that. I only thought it was a possibility, he was, as some source stated it as a reason for Keith not being on Letterman. But I also thought, it could have been an excuse, because he maybe just didn't want to go. Who knows, what is true. It doesn't really matter, since he looked and played fine.

No, I never stood on a stage in an arena. I would be scared for sure. But there are other, experienced artists, that do and don't seem to be that stressed at the beginning of their performance. Keith for example, standing in front of the same audience during his solo slots, doesn't look as cramped as Mick sometimes does, when entering the stage. Most probably because he doesn't feel the obligation to move that much. So it's at least possible to act more relaxed for some performers in front of 20,000 people. Everbody is different, okay, I know, some are more nervous than others. But I simply get the impression, that Mick sometimes wants to do it too good, too perfect, even better than when he was, lets say, 30. And this 'wanting to do it better' often seems to focus on the most energetic and wild 'moves like Jagger' performance possible, driven by a really amazing willpower but at the expense of singing and feeling. His attitude changed in this respect, he used to be more relaxed, sensitive or spontaneous, or at least behaved and looked that way, even at the beginning of a performance (all only based on the video and audio material I know). Everytime he finds this back, I think he is captivating. To me he had several of these great moments during the last gigs in London (didn't see much of the Brooklyn concert videos yet).

About "particular breathing problems: I don't think they are particularly a Mick problem, in fact it is remarkable, he doesn't have more breathing problems. The way he jumps and runs, most people would be out of breath doing that, even younger ones like me. But I'm convinced, he had some problems at the beginning of the White House gig, for example, so one can't say, he never has any. And apparently the reason for this was his wild dancing, mixed maybe with an understandable nervousness, while not being warmed up enough, yet. So I wonder, if it is neccessary, if it serves the song, especially when he still needs to warm up.

I didn't say Mick was awful on this Sandy benefit, I really liked YGMR, which was good despite being the first song, and I thought JJF was okay (Mick-wise, the band was great on both songs, I think, though I focused on Mick). But since I sensed some breathlessness towards the end, JJF would probably have profited singingwise by Mick moving less and not demanding that much of himself. This is all my interpretation and you, of course, may disagree. Also it was my first impression on watching it, I can hardly remember the performance now, after all this writing about it and concerts in general. I will have to watch it again for more impressions. I didn't want to make it that long, I think this little, short performance isn't really worth a long analysis. But I wanted to expain my opinion more generally, not only for these two songs.

By the way, having listened to Paul MacCartney on the show, while writing, he seems to have real troubles with his voice. Does he have a cold or hoarse? Didn't he sound a little bit hoarse during the Queen's celebrations already?

Date: December 13, 2012 08:49

superrevvy

Otherwise, I was of course happy to hear Mick echo just a bit of my cynicism about

I enjoyed that myself, but can understand if people felt that was a bit flippant.

Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: December 13, 2012 08:53

All in all it was a fun night. Very enjoyable. I didn't even know the last 12 songs eye rolling smiley
If anything it gave you a look at the condition of most of the major players in classic rock. Too bad Zeppelin couldn't be there. I'd love to see this show on tour. Kind of like the old Motown Revue.

I hate to say this but I really think the Stones have allowed themselves to become trapped in this hole of no change. They can't climb out of it. They are locked into this set performance with no deviations. Like a bunch of stubborn old men. Look at all the compliments on how good they sound...at playing the same songs. Satisfaction was great, JJF was the best yet. People, they have been playing them since 1969. Enough said.

Posted by: ab ()
Date: December 13, 2012 08:57

After seeing the Stones tonight, I don't feel so bad about not getting a ticket for any of the NYC area shows. That was a totally unremarkable performance.

I never need to hear You Got Me Rockin' again. And Jumpin' Jack Flash sounded like the band was playing at one tempo and Jagger was singing at another. It just sounded off.

Date: December 13, 2012 08:58

The Sicilian
All in all it was a fun night. Very enjoyable. I didn't even know the last 12 songs eye rolling smiley
If anything it gave you a look at the condition of most of the major players in classic rock. Too bad Zeppelin couldn't be there. I'd love to see this show on tour. Kind of like the old Motown Revue.

I hate to say this but I really think the Stones have allowed themselves to become trapped in this hole of no change. They can't climb out of it. They are locked into this set performance with no deviations. Like a bunch of stubborn old men. Look at all the compliments on how good they sound...at playing the same songs. Satisfaction was great, JJF was the best yet. People, they have been playing them since 1969. Enough said.

You talk about the Stones like they're a vibrant young band that has aspirations and goals to conquer the world. They've been on cruise control for 30 years now...not sure why people are still breaking them down like there's still time for them to save themselves or change as a band. These 70 year old dudes came out of semi-retirement for a few shows this year. Some people are asking (and expecting) way too much.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-12-14 02:30 by Justin.

Posted by: TotalBB ()
Date: December 13, 2012 09:07

Not the Stones, but this is so awesome...

[youtu.be]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-12-13 09:08 by TotalBB.

Date: December 13, 2012 09:10

The Worst.

I also thought, they were going to play it. Maybe it's more challenging and they wanted to play it save?

Date: December 13, 2012 09:14

StrawberriesBlueberries
stonesrule
I agree the Stones were a non-factor.

StrawberriesBlueberries, I am assuming you have never stood on stage in a big arena but some of your critiques of Jagger on stage are ridiculous...to put it politely. I enjoyed your feelings re "Lady Jane" but that was then and this is now. Strawberries, When you've performed in front of 20,000 people on a big stage, then I will respect your opinions.

It generally takes at least two songs for most bands to get into the groove and Jagger doesn't have any particular breathing problems. And, Keith who was "sick" seemed quite well tonight.

I didn't state Keith was sick, if you still referred to me with that. I only thought it was a possibility, he was, as some source stated it as a reason for Keith not being on Letterman. But I also thought, it could have been an excuse, because he maybe just didn't want to go. Who knows, what is true. It doesn't really matter, since he looked and played fine.

No, I never stood on a stage in an arena. I would be scared for sure. But there are other, experienced artists, that do and don't seem to be that stressed at the beginning of their performance. Keith for example, standing in front of the same audience during his solo slots, doesn't look as cramped as Mick sometimes does, when entering the stage. Most probably because he doesn't feel the obligation to move that much. So it's at least possible to act more relaxed for some performers in front of 20,000 people. Everbody is different, okay, I know, some are more nervous than others. But I simply get the impression, that Mick sometimes wants to do it too good, too perfect, even better than when he was, lets say, 30. And this 'wanting to do it better' often seems to focus on the most energetic and wild 'moves like Jagger' performance possible, driven by a really amazing willpower but at the expense of singing and feeling. His attitude changed in this respect, he used to be more relaxed, sensitive or spontaneous, or at least behaved and looked that way, even at the beginning of a performance (all only based on the video and audio material I know). Everytime he finds this back, I think he is captivating. To me he had several of these great moments during the last gigs in London (didn't see much of the Brooklyn concert videos yet).

About "particular breathing problems: I don't think they are particularly a Mick problem, in fact it is remarkable, he doesn't have more breathing problems. The way he jumps and runs, most people would be out of breath doing that, even younger ones like me. But I'm convinced, he had some problems at the beginning of the White House gig, for example, so one can't say, he never has any. And apparently the reason for this was his wild dancing, mixed maybe with an understandable nervousness, while not being warmed up enough, yet. So I wonder, if it is neccessary, if it serves the song, especially when he still needs to warm up.

I didn't say Mick was awful on this Sandy benefit, I really liked YGMR, which was good despite being the first song, and I thought JJF was okay (Mick-wise, the band was great on both songs, I think, though I focused on Mick). But since I sensed some breathlessness towards the end, JJF would probably have profited singingwise by Mick moving less and not demanding that much of himself. This is all my interpretation and you, of course, may disagree. Also it was my first impression on watching it, I can hardly remember the performance now, after all this writing about it and concerts in general. I will have to watch it again for more impressions. I didn't want to make it that long, I think this little, short performance isn't really worth a long analysis. But I wanted to expain my opinion more generally, not only for these two songs.

By the way, having listened to Paul MacCartney on the show, while writing, he seems to have real troubles with his voice. Does he have a cold or hoarse? Didn't he sound a little bit hoarse during the Queen's celebrations already?

He sounded the same a couple of weeks ago at the Vancouver show. Great voice, just an older voice, that should avoid certain songs that require too much. He must know that but opts to soldier on.

Posted by: JumpinJeppeFlash ()
Date: December 13, 2012 09:16

Green Lady

Fantastic!

It hasen't sounded that good since 1995!

Date: December 13, 2012 09:18

Can't see the YouTube video here in the US...can anyone possibly offer it up in a download?

Posted by: klrkcr ()
Date: December 13, 2012 09:26

Sorry Justin,I dont know how to upload to a torrent.But for anyone who can,here are both songs.Cheers.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2012-12-13 09:55 by klrkcr.

Posted by: wolundamo ()
Date: December 13, 2012 09:38

Its great, watching Keith leading the Stones again...Not just marvellous Mick...and Charlie pumping it up...and Ronnie...

Thanks for uploading!

Date: December 13, 2012 09:43

superrevvy

From what I have seen, and I only went to the first show, Keith's first show was his best so far...

Re: MSG 12/12/12 comments as the show flows
Date: December 13, 2012 09:54

Charlie lost his drumstick round 6:23, no? He was quick thumbs up

Date: December 13, 2012 09:58

The night belonged to McCartney, but it was supposed to belong to him. He delivered. I thought the Stones performed admirably and it was a nice gesture by them to show up and do a couple of songs. Nice little tune up for tomorrow and Saturday. Saturday night is for all the marbles. I have no doubt they will rise to the moment and deliver an unbelievable show. I can feel it coming in my bones.

Re: MSG 12/12/12 comments as the show flows
Posted by: bv ()
Date: December 13, 2012 10:01

I am just back from the show. It started 7:30pm sharp, with a countown, and finsished 01:20am i.e. six hours later. I was nailed to my spot and I did not leave my seat for six hours! There were a few sitting down breaks but for most of the time we were up on our feet.

I don't know what to say. I just experienced some of the greatest shows in rock history. Five days ago I had barely heard about it, in fact it was announced last Friday as far as the Stones goes, which is where my mind started to think about this show. The moment I heard the Stones were in I started looking fr a ticket. And now it is all over!

This was all about New York. And New Jersey. So many great artists this big city and it's surroundings have fostered. Alicia Keys was a big surprise for me. I liked her! The Who? What can I say? I want more! Bruce? The Boss! Roger Waters? Well that was Comfortably Numb as close as you can get without having David Gilmour in the building! And it goes on and on and on...

Chris Martin. On the little corner of the stage. In nice suit and tie. Acoustic guitar. Singing and playing so great. Yes I am a fan of Coldplay too. Just as I lile REM a lot. Talking about REM. Chris Martin was joined on the next song by Michael Stipe! Much to the surprise, even for the organizers. Nobody knew. Well except for the crew member who placed the extra microphone there...

Billy Joel. Eric Clapton. Macca. The Nirvana "reunion" of course ex. Curt but Inc Macca! Bon Jovi. Dianna Krall. I am sure I have forgot many but this was a great, great show, and I am so glad I finally managed to get a ticket. It took all of the days up to this afternoon, but I made it. Now I can sleep sweetly with the great sound of the clossing song, featuring Alicia Keys with Paul ccartney and the rest of the band - New York - New York!

Well... I almost forgot... Ha ha... The Rolling Stones! So short and sweet! My own Rolling Stones on this stage! But they were off before they were on, still they did great versions of You Got Me Rocking and Juming Jack Flash. And they got the biggest ovation of the night when they hit stage at 9:50pm sharp. Ten minurs later they were gone, but luckily I will see then again right next door to where I live now tomorrow, in Newark!

Goodnight! Tomorrw is the day!

Bjornulf

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...2021222324252627282930...LastNext
Current Page: 25 of 37

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1362
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home