Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3
Re: OT - Rock and Roll Hall of Fame 2013: Rush, Heart, Donna Summer, Public Enemy among inductees
Posted by: Glammy ()
Date: May 13, 2013 12:19

The Rock 'n Roll Hall of Fame is a complete joke.

Re: OT - Rock and Roll Hall of Fame 2013: Rush, Heart, Donna Summer, Public Enemy among inductees
Posted by: slew ()
Date: May 14, 2013 02:36

The New York Dolls should NOT be in the hall of fame either!

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: May 14, 2013 04:13

proper name-
"Jann Werner's tourist attraction- A Music and Rap museum in Cleveland"

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: May 14, 2013 05:08

I take it no garage rock bands are included in the RnR Hall of Lame.

And why is it in Cleveland? Don't they want people outside Ohio to visit the place? It should be in New York or something. Someplace with a history of vibrant music scenes and legendary recording studios.

If Jan Wenner told the music world in 1979, at the height of the Disco Sucks hysteria, that he was building a Rock n Roll Hall of Fame and was going to include Donna Summer in it, he would have been laughed right off the planet.

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: May 14, 2013 05:15

Well still...RUSH is in so it has a quarter ounce of credibility...

Date: May 14, 2013 07:02

rush played at my high school for pete sake

they are great musicians though whether you like em or not, i have no issue with them being in

donna summer? yeah right

i think the r & r hall of fame is in cleveland on account of dj allan freed who supposedly coined the term rock and roll - and he was from there

Date: May 14, 2013 07:16

stonehearted

And why is it in Cleveland? Don't they want people outside Ohio to visit the place? It should be in New York or something. Someplace with a history of vibrant music scenes and legendary recording studios.

If Jan Wenner told the music world in 1979, at the height of the Disco Sucks hysteria, that he was building a Rock n Roll Hall of Fame and was going to include Donna Summer in it, he would have been laughed right off the planet.

the stooges are in, thats close to garage rock

Date: May 14, 2013 08:01

keefriffhard4life
stonehearted

Close, but they're also quite close to punk. The Stooges are in for their renowned influence on punk rock.

I'm thinking more of a band like The Sonics or The Seeds or any of those obscure mid-60s bands that could be termed proto-punk--but it's probably because they haven't been name-checked by enough of the right people. The RnR HOF as a museum entity provides people with only a very limited view of the history of the music.

Hey, do you like that 70s band, Mountain? Guitarist Leslie West was in a garage band called The Vagrants in the mid-60s.

Then there was a band called The Barbarians who were also at the T.A.M.I. show on the same bill as James Brown and The Stones et al.

They should have a special wing of the RnR HOF devoted to these obscure but important bands. Garage rock bands are like The Mods--they never die out, the influence just keeps coming back and continuing on. Hey, yeah! Are there any Mod bands in the RnR HOF, like The Small Faces--huge influence on the music of The Sex Pistols right there.

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: May 14, 2013 08:05

slew
The New York Dolls should NOT be in the hall of fame either!

Maybe they should be in the Jazz Hall of Fame then since Pops and Miles is in the

Rock-Hall....

2 1 2 0

Date: May 14, 2013 08:19

stonehearted
keefriffhard4life
stonehearted

Close, but they're also quite close to punk. The Stooges are in for their renowned influence on punk rock.

I'm thinking more of a band like The Sonics or The Seeds or any of those obscure mid-60s bands that could be termed proto-punk--but it's probably because they haven't been name-checked by enough of the right people. The RnR HOF as a museum entity provides people with only a very limited view of the history of the music.

Hey, do you like that 70s band, Mountain? Guitarist Leslie West was in a garage band called The Vagrants in the mid-60s.

Then there was a band called The Barbarians who were also at the T.A.M.I. show on the same bill as James Brown and The Stones et al.

They should have a special wing of the RnR HOF devoted to these obscure but important bands. Garage rock bands are like The Mods--they never die out, the influence just keeps coming back and continuing on. Hey, yeah! Are there any Mod bands in the RnR HOF, like The Small Faces--huge influence on the music of The Sex Pistols right there.

i love mountain. leslie west is a guitar god and has a new solo album due out this year

Date: May 14, 2013 16:50

pinkfloydthebarber

i think the r & r hall of fame is in cleveland on account of dj allan freed who supposedly coined the term rock and roll - and he was from there

I coined the term 'more please' and nobody built me anything...what gives?

Posted by: GRNRBITW ()
Date: May 14, 2013 18:58

Munichhilton
pinkfloydthebarber

dammit chuck is up for nomination next year. patience.

Date: May 14, 2013 20:02

GRNRBITW
Munichhilton
pinkfloydthebarber

dammit chuck is up for nomination next year. patience.

Fantastic! I'm up for this years coining!

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: May 14, 2013 20:32

The problem is that after the first 10-15 years, they should have changed it to being done every 2 or 3 years. After 10-15 years, most of the people from the 60s and 70s that deserved to be in and deserved to see their induction were still alive. After about 2000, it became a place where you had to induct nearly everyone because you need enough people each year. It is a good idea in theory, and if done properly like it was the first few years, it really would be an honor and a sign of respect to get in. But they've gotten most of the big people in by this point, which then makes you notice the glaring omissions and the people like Red Hot Chili Peppers or Guns N Roses, who I like but don't deserve to be in there at the moment. If they had waited a few years to do the ceremony after 2000, I think they'd still have a good amount of people that really deserve to be in there and it wouldn't be as laughable.

Then again, music is all personal taste, so for that reason alone you'll never please everyone so the Hall is sort of worthless.

Date: May 14, 2013 20:36

Munichhilton
pinkfloydthebarber

i though oliver coined that

Date: May 14, 2013 23:25

pinkfloydthebarber
Munichhilton
pinkfloydthebarber

i though oliver coined that

Did he say that? He's lying...

Date: May 14, 2013 23:59

keefriffhard4life
stonehearted
keefriffhard4life
stonehearted

i love mountain. leslie west is a guitar god and has a new solo album due out this year

Here's a clip of a teenage Leslie West in his first band, The Vagrants, with Oh Those Eyes from 1965.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: May 15, 2013 00:18

Munichhilton

Living on a lighted stage approaches the unreal!

Date: May 15, 2013 01:08

treaclefingers
Munichhilton

Living on a lighted stage approaches the unreal!

God bless my Torontons or Torontonians or Tora Tora Toras...
I'm lost...

Posted by: seitan ()
Date: May 15, 2013 01:51

Where is The Sonics, New York Dolls, MC5, and ROKY ERICKSON AND THE 13th FLOOR ELEVATORS !!!

Posted by: owlbynite ()
Date: May 15, 2013 10:57

keefriffhard4life
stonehearted
keefriffhard4life
stonehearted

Mississippi Queen! cool smiley

Posted by: andrea66 ()
Date: May 15, 2013 12:09

Donna Summer and not WILLY DEVILLE ??!!
this is insane

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1711
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home