Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
2000 man
Posted by: Happy Jack ()
Date: January 11, 2005 19:38

I dont know if anyone here is familiar with Wes Anderson the director. If you arent I highly recommend finding his three films, they are very the good. Anyway I was watching the "Royal Tenenbaums", and heard the song 2000 man. I instantly went and listened to it, and have discovered its a great track. OF the whole album, to me it is the song that sounds the most like the stones, an acoustic guitar playing the rhythm over a basic rock song. There is no psychediclic preminitions like the other trippy songs. However what is the song about? it does have some strange lyrics,that oddly dont detract from it. i think it would make a great addition to their set for the upcoming tour.
On a different note about Wes Anderson, for anyone that is familiar with him, he uses stones songs in his movies. And even better he uses obscure songs, such as "I am waiting" in Rushmore, and "She smiled Sweetly" in the 'Royal tenenbaums", and the aforementioned song. I highly recommend his work.

Re: 2000 man
Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: January 11, 2005 19:42

I first learned of 2000 Man via KISS. They recorded it on their Dynasty album in 79 with Ace Frehley doing vocals. I'm not a huge KISS fan, but I do like that version.

Posted by: Cafaro ()
Date: January 11, 2005 20:37

2000 Man seems to be about an adult male who can't cope with the "future world". Great song. The other "stonesy" song is The Lantern. With a little work, the Lantern could have been on Beggar's

Keith of course is completely straight

Posted by: Pserchia ()
Date: January 11, 2005 20:40

Wes Anderson's current film, The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou, features a large number of David Bowie songs sung by a Portuguese singer. I like the film, and I really like the eccentric music presentation. And I think that Anderson used 2000 Man brilliantly in Bottle Rocket.

Posted by: midrambler ()
Date: January 11, 2005 21:56

I like KISS version too

Posted by: john r ()
Date: January 11, 2005 23:34

It also seems to be a satire of 'enlightened' 60s generation turning into their parents in 2000

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: January 11, 2005 23:38

Always loved the song especially the lyrics....ROCKMAN

Well, my name is a number
A piece of plastic film
And I'm growin' funny flowers
In my little window sill

Dont you know I'm a 2000 man
And my kids, they just don't understand me at all

Well my wife still respects me
I really misused her
I am having an affair
With a random computer

Don't you know I'm a 2000 man
And my kids, they just don't understand me at all

Oh daddy, proud of your planet
Oh mummy, proud of your sun
Oh mummy. proud of your sun
Oh daddy, your brain's still flashin'
Like it did when you were young
Or do you come down crashin'
Seeing all the things you'd done
All was a big put on

Oh mummy. proud of your son

And you know who's the 2000 man
And your kids they just won't understand you at all

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-08-23 04:15 by Rockman.

Posted by: marquess ()
Date: January 12, 2005 17:44

Hi there!

I also have known the song with the '79 Kiss single "I was made for lovin´you", 2000 Man is the B-side.

What a great song it is!!!

Posted by: Aucoin ()
Date: January 19, 2005 19:45

Kiss did a brilliant version of 2000 Man. It really kicks ass. Very very good. One of the best covers in general I have ever heard.

Posted by: KeithRichards ()
Date: January 20, 2005 13:07

2000 man is a cool song, but don't you think it sounds pretty much like a song from The Kinks? I just don't know the name of it, but there is one song that sounds very similar!

Date: January 20, 2005 14:40

Cool Carm & Collected.

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Esky ()
Date: January 20, 2005 16:13

I reckon if it was on any album other than "Satanic.." then it would have been a bigger hit !

Esky

Posted by: Tseverin ()
Date: January 20, 2005 22:42

You're right there Esky; same goes for Citadel.

I reckon the lyrics as printed out by Rockman above are wrong (nothing to do with Rockman but the books that churn these out often seem to have transcribed them phonetically and are full of weird errors). This one may just be in my head but I think the chorus should read:

Oh Daddy proud of your planet
Oh Mummy proud of your son (not sun)

This makes more sense in that Jagger is pointing out the gender division in the distant future(!) whereby the man is full of patriotism, or planetarism by then whereas the woman feels a close connection with her own flesh and blood, an Earth mother thing. Like most sci-fi, the words are more of a projection of the present (60's) rather than an imaginary future. The patriarchal chauvinistic male who is having an affair with a random computer and misuses his wife is a reflection of the typical 'straight society' male of the time (rather than an 'enlightened' hippy male) whose world is "a big put on".

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: January 20, 2005 22:45

Kiss also re-does the song on "Unplugged" on acoustics!!!!

"No Anchovies, Please"

Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: August 22, 2011 17:36

During my initial first listens of 2000 MAN, I thought the lines, "Well, my wife still respects me/I really misuse her" were "Well, my wife still respects me/I really miss you, Sir." (Which, of course, makes no sense.)

Posted by: Sleepy City ()
Date: August 22, 2011 17:54

Elmo Lewis

Yes, great version (& I'm not really a Kiss fan!). Would be a good one for The Stones to revive in a similar style.

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: August 22, 2011 18:04

Rockman

A piece of plastic film
In my little window sill

I always thought it was "tiny" flowers

Posted by: Sleepy City ()
Date: August 22, 2011 18:13

schillid
Rockman

A piece of plastic film
In my little window sill

"funny" makes more sense (probably a drugs reference).

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: August 22, 2011 18:20

Sleepy City
schillid
Rockman

A piece of plastic film
In my little window sill

"funny" makes more sense (probably a drugs reference).

Altough "tiny" flowers might fit better on a little window sill

Posted by: electricmud ()
Date: August 22, 2011 18:22

This is Ace? Playing an acoustic guitar with hammering barre-chords. No feel, no fantasy. Sorry, if he would play in an underground station I would leave without giving a penny. When I see this it reminds me how great bands like the Stones are. (and hundreds others..) Just my opinion, don`t bash me cause I know there are som KISS fans out there...

Tom

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: August 22, 2011 18:28

Sleepy City
Elmo Lewis

Yes, great version (& I'm not really a Kiss fan!). Would be a good one for The Stones to revive in a similar style.

Awful!

Posted by: HalfNanker ()
Date: August 22, 2011 18:32

I always found it prescient that as far back as 1967 they used the line "I am having an affair With a random computer"--well before anyone knew of the internet, online dating, chat rooms, etc... And, they weren't so far off in the year they "predicted" it to happen.

Posted by: buffalo7478 ()
Date: August 22, 2011 23:07

Ace was last heard of playing our local county fair last week. When you get to the level you are playing a county fair (and you aren't a country artist), your career is on the skids.

Posted by: muenke ()
Date: August 22, 2011 23:26

Hy, good topic!

I know the film "royal tennenbaums", nice melancholic and funny movie! I remember the scene with Ben Stiller and Gwyn Paltrow, in a tent in the house, listening to the even greater "She smiled sweetly", and I loved it! Big emotions, großes Kino!

And: SMS is a killer of a track!

Posted by: Braincapers ()
Date: August 22, 2011 23:50

Aucoin
Kiss did a brilliant version of 2000 Man. It really kicks ass. Very very good. One of the best covers in general I have ever heard.

I have to say (and please don't boo) but I prefer the Kiss version. Even their unplugged version is good.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: August 23, 2011 00:25

Braincapers

I have to say (and please don't boo) but I prefer the Kiss version. Even their unplugged version is good.

You have wretched taste!

Your post and the horrid Kiss - unplugged version of 2000 Man makes me vomit.

Posted by: Braincapers ()
Date: August 23, 2011 01:01

Don't mince your words mate, tell us what you really think.

Posted by: Glam Descendant ()
Date: August 23, 2011 04:03

Anyone have any insight on Charlie's very unique drumming on this track? It's ... wildly unpredictable, which makes the bridge (? middle 8?) even more powerful, when he switches to a straighter 4/4 delivery -- it's explosive.

P.S. Definitely "tiny flowers".

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-08-23 04:06 by Glam Descendant.

Posted by: Sipuncula ()
Date: August 23, 2011 04:10

Rockman
I am having an affair
With the random computer

Also, that should be "a random computer"--as it uses random access memory (RAM), which would nowadays be called just a "computer".

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-08-23 04:15 by Sipuncula.

Date: August 23, 2011 04:14

.....Hey yeah sip it should be a and not the ...I'm gonna change that straight away ..... Thanks man...

ROCKMAN

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1996
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home