Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Live In England '65!
Posted by: uhbuhgullayew ()
Date: December 8, 2012 23:24

Great thread, thanks for all of the info DP & to all who posted, etc.

Date: December 10, 2012 16:49

rootsman
DandelionPowderman
It's amazing indeed, and certainly no overdubs!

I´m not so sure...

Did you try comparing Pain In My Heart?

*Got Live If You Want It! EP
*Live In England ´65
*Charlie Is My Darling Soundtrack CD

The music is VERY similiar (it could be the same take...) but the vocals are different on all three.
It should also be noted that the intro Everybody Needs Somebody To Love is the same version on all three...

Any more opinions on this?

I listened again, and Pain In My Heart is not the same take (film vs live album). Keith's guitar is very different. It's the same with The Last Time as well. On the live album, Keith's guitar on PIMH is out of tune. The same is the case with his guitar on TLT in the film, but not on the live album. The end of the solo is different as well.

Regarding the vocals, I'm not so sure. Why would they omit Keith's back up-vocals on I'm Moving On, for instance ("Yes, I'm moving..."), if they could have fixed them with overdubs, like on the December's Children-version?

Now and again the vocals sound too good to be true, so I understand the scepticism, though.

Regarding this being a 1966-show (mentioned by someone else in this thread) - did they play Pain In My Heart, Down The Road Apiece, Off The Hook and Little Red Rooster at all in 1966?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-12-10 16:51 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: Ross ()
Date: December 10, 2012 19:26

I did a little editing and spliced in the version of Satisfaction that is included on the other bonus disc to this set. This may be my favorite of all of the Archive stuff that has come out. 33 minutes of scortchin'vintage first edition Stones! It never lets up. Love every note of it!

Ross

Date: December 10, 2012 21:35

Ross
I did a little editing and spliced in the version of Satisfaction that is included on the other bonus disc to this set. This may be my favorite of all of the Archive stuff that has come out. 33 minutes of scortchin'vintage first edition Stones! It never lets up. Love every note of it!

Ross

thumbs up

Posted by: rootsman ()
Date: December 11, 2012 12:35

DandelionPowderman
rootsman
DandelionPowderman

I´m not so sure...

*Live In England ´65

The music is VERY similiar (it could be the same take...) but the vocals are different on all three.
It should also be noted that the intro Everybody Needs Somebody To Love is the same version on all three...

I listened again, and Pain In My Heart is not the same take (film vs live album). Keith's guitar is very different. It's the same with The Last Time as well. On the live album, Keith's guitar on PIMH is out of tune. The same is the case with his guitar on TLT in the film, but not on the live album. The end of the solo is different as well.

Regarding the vocals, I'm not so sure. Why would they omit Keith's back up-vocals on I'm Moving On, for instance ("Yes, I'm moving..."), if they could have fixed them with overdubs, like on the December's Children-version?

Now and again the vocals sound too good to be true, so I understand the scepticism, though.

On re-listening, I think you´re right - the 3 versions of Pain In My Heart are different takes.
The other tracks available in more than one version are more obviously different.
That is, except from Everybody Needs Somebody To Love intro, which (to my ears) is the same version on all 3 records.
So, i don´t know about any vocal overdubs anymore...

To clarify the sources:

All tracks on the "Got Live If You Want It!" EP and "Live In England ´65" are from the March 1965 tour.
This is also true for these tracks on the "Charlie Is My Darling" soundtrack CD:
The Last Time, Time Is On My Side, I´m Alright (with some doubts about the "riot" part...), Everybody Needs Somebody To Love/Pain In My Heart.
Satisfaction on the soundtrack CD is from 1966 - same recording but a different edit/mix than on the LP "Got Live If You Want It!".
(Around And Around in the film has the sound from the 1964 TAMI Show)

Anyway, "Live In England ´65" is a fantastic release!!grinning smiley

Date: December 11, 2012 12:38

rootsman
DandelionPowderman
rootsman
DandelionPowderman

I´m not so sure...

*Live In England ´65

On re-listening, I think you´re right - the 3 versions of Pain In My Heart are different takes.
The other tracks available in more than one version are more obviously different.
That is, except from Everybody Needs Somebody To Love intro, which (to my ears) is the same version on all 3 records.
So, i don´t know about any vocal overdubs anymore...

To clarify the sources:

All tracks on the "Got Live If You Want It!" EP and "Live In England ´65" are from the March 1965 tour.
This is also true for these tracks on the "Charlie Is My Darling" soundtrack CD:
The Last Time, Time Is On My Side, I´m Alright (with some doubts about the "riot" part...), Everybody Needs Somebody To Love/Pain In My Heart.
Satisfaction on the soundtrack CD is from 1966 - same recording but a different edit/mix than on the LP "Got Live If You Want It!".
(Around And Around in the film has the sound from the 1964 TAMI Show)

Anyway, "Live In England ´65" is a fantastic release!!grinning smiley

Thanks you rootsman! I think we're onto something here smiling smiley

Your detailed info is much appreciated! smileys with beer

Posted by: rootsman ()
Date: December 11, 2012 13:12

Re: I´m Alright

The first part (up to 1.22) of the soundtrack CD version is the same as on the EP,
while the second/"riot" part is different and without vocals.
I´m not sure about the source for the second part -
could it be the only released actual Ireland September 1965 performed music?

The "Live In England ´65" version is totally different to the above two.

Posted by: saltoftheearth ()
Date: December 11, 2012 18:31

rootsman

I´m not so sure...

*Live In England ´65

Posted by: saltoftheearth ()
Date: December 11, 2012 18:35

rootsman
DandelionPowderman

I´m not so sure...

*Live In England ´65

Roy Carr pointed out in his book about the Rolling Stones in 1977 in his review about the Got live if you want it! EP that there were doubts if these were really live recordings or studio recordings with the applause overdubbed. The question is why they released such excellent live recordings on the EP and such bad 'live' recordings on the LP one year later.

But these 1965 recordings are great anyway and give a great impression about the fans' frenzy during the early years.

Posted by: Single Malt ()
Date: December 12, 2012 10:01

To me long Everybody Needs... sounds different when I compared More Got Live and Live in England.

I Also noticed in Down The Road Apiece that nevertheless both sound very similar the first line of the song starts differently:

More Got LIVE: Now if you want to hear some boogie that THEY'RE gonna play...
Live in England: Now if you want to hear some boogie that I'M gonna play...

Is it my ears or are these two different recordings? Otherwise they sound almost the same.

Date: December 12, 2012 10:13

saltoftheearth
rootsman
DandelionPowderman

I´m not so sure...

*Live In England ´65

Roy Carr pointed out in his book about the Rolling Stones in 1977 in his review about the Got live if you want it! EP that there were doubts if these were really live recordings or studio recordings with the applause overdubbed. The question is why they released such excellent live recordings on the EP and such bad 'live' recordings on the LP one year later.

But these 1965 recordings are great anyway and give a great impression about the fans' frenzy during the early years.

Except for I've Been Loving You Too Long and Fortune Teller, there isn't any doubt about the tracks on the LP are recorded live, is it?

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: December 13, 2012 02:07

The 66 album live tracks have vocal and instrument overdubs.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: December 13, 2012 02:09

rootsman
Re: I´m Alright

The first part (up to 1.22) of the soundtrack CD version is the same as on the EP,
while the second/"riot" part is different and without vocals.
I´m not sure about the source for the second part -
could it be the only released actual Ireland September 1965 performed music?

The "Live In England ´65" version is totally different to the above two.

I think the crashing sounds etc heard during the riot scene might have been created for the film recently.

Date: December 13, 2012 12:34

What do think of the Live In England-LP, Philip?

Posted by: dingq ()
Date: December 16, 2012 20:16

interesting, but let's now look and listen to a new video I created from of the only available "Pain in my heart" performance and a new edit I made of the studio version:

if the youtube link is dead: watch on vimeo: video: [player.vimeo.com]

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2013-07-13 15:13 by dingq.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1547
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home