Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
shouldn't Dick Taylor be a guest in one of the shows?
Posted by: thabo ()
Date: December 4, 2012 22:27

The Stones celebrate their 50 yrs jubilee. It all started in 1962 with Mick Jagger, Brain Jones, Ian Steward, Dick Taylor and Keith Richards. Jones and Steward are dead, the Stones didn't have a steady drummer untill 1963 (Tony Chapman played it most of the times in 1962 but I guess he wasn't a steady member of the band) but certainly Dick Taylor was a founding member and played on all the gigs of 1962. Shouldn't it be right if Dick Taylor (like all other former still alive Stones members) would play a song with the Stones on one of these jubilee concerts?

Re: shouldn't Dick Taylor be a guest in one of the shows?
Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: December 4, 2012 22:39

Pretty Things are in Aussie land at the moment .....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: December 4, 2012 22:39

I'm afraid the casual fan would get confused between Mick Taylor and Dick Taylor, so it's a no no...

Posted by: NoCode0680 ()
Date: December 4, 2012 22:47

Who the hell is Ian Steward?!?!?!? winking smiley

Posted by: lettingitbleed ()
Date: December 4, 2012 22:57

He left before they recorded any material...so..no he should not be there.

Why not get all the random guest drummers that played before Charlie joined too??

Date: December 4, 2012 22:57

NoCode0680

Eeeehhh...... uuuhhh, Ian Stuart? Ian Stuard, Ian stuwardo? The bloke with the square chin playing the piano and carrying the equipment around, driving that little van?

Date: December 4, 2012 22:59

Who the hell is Ian Steward?!?!?!?

.....eeeerrr well if it's any help a goog-search says he's Head of Close-Invoice France ...

ROCKMAN

Date: December 4, 2012 23:01

lettingitbleed

Why not get all the random guest drummers that played before Charlie joined too??

No there is a difference Dick Taylor was really a memberr of the band and they had only rotating drummers because they couldn't find a staedy one, but Dick Taylor was really a Rolling Stone playing at ALL their 1962 gigs and they did record "Don't Judge a Book by Looking at it's Cover" with Dick Taylor in 1962.

Posted by: lettingitbleed ()
Date: December 4, 2012 23:50

eye rolling smiley

Posted by: mailexile67 ()
Date: December 5, 2012 00:00

...And why not Tony Chapman, he has been till January '63!?!

Posted by: FrankM ()
Date: December 5, 2012 00:04

thabo
lettingitbleed

No there is a difference Dick Taylor was really a memberr of the band and they had only rotating drummers because they couldn't find a staedy one, but Dick Taylor was really a Rolling Stone playing at ALL their 1962 gigs and they did record "Don't Judge a Book by Looking at it's Cover" with Dick Taylor in 1962.

Maybe I am wrong but to me The Rolling Stones are/were the five members of the band when their first recordings were released plus Taylor and Wood. I don't think even the band thinks of Dick Taylor as a former Rolling Stone.

Posted by: GravityBoy ()
Date: December 5, 2012 00:05

gotdablouse
I'm afraid the casual fan would get confused between Mick Taylor and Dick Taylor, so it's a no no...

Yeah and Dick Grayson as well.

Posted by: jazzbass ()
Date: December 5, 2012 00:15

Dick Taylor can piss off.

Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: December 5, 2012 00:18

GravityBoy
gotdablouse

Or Jason Todd, or Tim Drake, or Stephanie Brown, or Damien Wayne, or Carrie Kelly...

[thepowergoats.com]

Posted by: GravityBoy ()
Date: December 5, 2012 00:20

jamesfdouglas
GravityBoy
gotdablouse

Or Jason Todd, or Tim Drake, or Stephanie Brown, or Damien Wayne, or Carrie Kelly...

Well Tim Drake and Francis Drake is understandable.

Posted by: uhbuhgullayew ()
Date: December 5, 2012 00:55

Yes, invite him!

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: December 5, 2012 01:30

FrankM
thabo
lettingitbleed

Maybe I am wrong but to me The Rolling Stones are/were the five members of the band when their first recordings were released plus Taylor and Wood. I don't think even the band thinks of Dick Taylor as a former Rolling Stone.

So basically Stu was never a Rolling Stone? And they weren't the Rolling Stones for those 100-odd gigs they played before June 1963 when they worked hard to build up the fanbase who bought their first record?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-12-05 01:35 by Gazza.

Posted by: jazzbass ()
Date: December 5, 2012 02:36

Gazza
FrankM
thabo
lettingitbleed

So basically Stu was never a Rolling Stone? And they weren't the Rolling Stones for those 100-odd gigs they played before June 1963 when they worked hard to build up the fanbase who bought their first record?

There is more than 1 way to look at this. I'm sure if you'd ask Keith, (or me for that matter) he'd say, "Hell yes, Stu is a Rolling Stone!". But, was he compensated equally as such?

Posted by: MILKYWAY ()
Date: December 5, 2012 02:43

Gazza

To the average fan, he basically wasn't -- and they weren't. Same for Bobby Keys, Jim Price, Billy Preston, and Chuck L & Blondie today.

Of course, most people on this board are slightly more avid than average. To say nothing of someone like yourself who is a walking wikipedia on the Stones.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: December 5, 2012 02:47

MILKYWAY
Gazza

To the average fan, he basically wasn't -- and they weren't. Same for Bobby Keys, Jim Price, Billy Preston, and Chuck L & Blondie today.

Of course, most people on this board are slightly more avid than average. To say nothing of someone like yourself who is a walking wikipedia on the Stones.

Then why are they celebrating a 50th anniversary tour in 2012?

The other people you mention never WERE Rolling Stones and weren't instrumental in forming the band. There's quite a difference, in fairness.

Posted by: Tonstone ()
Date: December 5, 2012 02:55

jazzbass
Gazza
FrankM
thabo
lettingitbleed

There is more than 1 way to look at this. I'm sure if you'd ask Keith, (or me for that matter) he'd say, "Hell yes, Stu is a Rolling Stone!". But, was he compensated equally as such?

Stu was the sixth Stone,in person, and I got to say if Keith or any of the others felt for Stu, I was mighty disappointed that none of them opened their mouths to ensure he was mentioned in Crossfire Hurricane.

Posted by: MILKYWAY ()
Date: December 5, 2012 02:56

Gazza
MILKYWAY
Gazza

Then why are they celebrating a 50th anniversary tour in 2012?

The other people you mention never WERE Rolling Stones and weren't instrumental in forming the band. There's quite a difference, in fairness.

You make some excellent points.

Posted by: stonesnow ()
Date: December 5, 2012 05:55

Wasn't Dick Taylor originally a guitarist with the band before they became The Rolling Stones, like on one of these 1961 Little Boy Blue and The Blue Boys home tapes, the ones Mick Jagger has tried to suppress by buying them himself at auction?

That's Dick Taylor in the photo beside Keith, looking old enough to be Keith's uncle.

Not a lot of people who attend Stones concerts know of Dick Taylor's connection with The Stones or that The Pretty Things was a musical offshoot, in fact not a lot of people who attend Stones concerts even know of The Pretty Things. Special guests are special because they are known to the audience, as opposed to just the band members themselves.

Posted by: RobertJohnson ()
Date: December 5, 2012 13:08

He should. He is a founding member of the band: On 12th of July 1962 the line up was: Mick Jagger, Keith Richards, Brian Jones, Dick Taylor, Ian Stewart und Tony Chapman. It might be difficult to persuade Brian and Ian to join the band, but Dick Taylor and Tony Chapman are possible guests I think.

Date: December 5, 2012 13:24

NoCode0680

or Brain Jones? winking smiley

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: December 5, 2012 13:27

stonesnow
That's Dick Taylor in the photo beside Keith, looking old enough to be Keith's uncle.

Still does based on that pic posted by Rockman here : [www.iorr.org]

Date: December 5, 2012 13:40

Ha ha, cool!

Here is Dick playing with Ronnie and Taylor:

Posted by: FrankM ()
Date: December 5, 2012 21:57

Gazza
FrankM
thabo
lettingitbleed

Yeah technically you might be right, it's kind of a murky area. Wikipedia lists Chapman, Dick Taylor and Stu as former members but I still think when most people think of band members they think of when the band is established and putting out records. If Chapman and Dick Taylor are considered ex band members then wouldn't that make Charlie and Bill NOT original members?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-12-05 22:46 by FrankM.

Date: December 6, 2012 13:05

Cool interview with Dick Taylor & Phil May ---- Includes chatting about Stones--Brian Jones

Banana Lounge Broadcasting -- 3RRR Melbourne
Elizabeth McCarthy - Dave Graney ----------------------------------------- [www.rrr.org.au]

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: December 6, 2012 13:52

>grinning smiley<
gotdablouse

Too right. At one point there could be 2 Micks and a Dick on stage. 50 Licks with Mick, Dick and Mick!

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1925
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home