Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: Are Mick Taylor and Bill Wyman playing in New York.
Date: December 4, 2012 15:35

VT22
DandelionPowderman
VT22
No, he's not. However, I've always found Taylor's playing good, but he has indeed developed a different style, playing very often without a pick. The runs are shorter, his sense of timing is different and the sound is cleaner.

I've seen him live three times before, and he always played well - no matter how the show was. However, none of those gigs showed the Taylor we know from the 70s.[DP]

Yes, I agree, the runs a shorter, the sound is cleaner, the timing different.
I liked the the "old Taylor" much more, certainly within the Stones framework.

There are some moments when he's "back there", albeit shortly. We should treasure those moments.

Yes, we cannot turn back the clock, just play those old bootlegs.
I wonder what made him change his style, he was a born "genuine fluid" blues player. Like he's been brainwashed or something.

My guess is that, after the "prog-flirt" with Jack Bruce, he really tried to get back to the pure (unfortunately imo "white boy") blues. Throughout the "wrong" decade (the 80s) his sound and style developed in a slightly "sterile" way.

Since he's been playing within that framework for 30 years now, it might be kinda hard to break out of?

Just a theory...

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: December 4, 2012 15:52

Yeah 73 is long gone, however I could still listen to him for hours and while Sunday had a lot of magical "bursts", on Thursday there were more of these long licks. Just check out the vids.

Gazza
gotdablouse
With the announcement of MJ Blige and Gary Clark Jr as guests and no mention of MT/BZ it's not looking very promising -> [www.iorr.org] - but who knows, maybe they're doing it the other way this time.

For the London shows, the special guests were confirmed a few days before the announcement that Taylor and Wyman would be playing.

You know I have a good memory so you should have looked it up ;-)

21/11 - [www.rollingstones.com] - "50 AND COUNTING LONDON: SPECIAL GUESTS BILL WYMAN AND MICK TAYLOR"

24/11 - [www.rollingstones.com] - "MARY J BLIGE AND JEFF BECK SPECIAL GUESTS AT TOMORROW NIGHT’S LONDON SHOW"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-12-04 15:53 by gotdablouse.

Posted by: scottkeef ()
Date: December 4, 2012 16:04

If MT is in the CITY, playing YCAGWYW without him is an insult to ears and mind...

Date: December 4, 2012 16:08

scottkeef
If MT is in the CITY, playing YCAGWYW without him is an insult to ears and mind...

They're playing the original version, as close to it as possible. They're not gonna change that around...

Posted by: VT22 ()
Date: December 4, 2012 16:16

DandelionPowderman
VT22
DandelionPowderman
VT22
No, he's not. However, I've always found Taylor's playing good, but he has indeed developed a different style, playing very often without a pick. The runs are shorter, his sense of timing is different and the sound is cleaner.

I've seen him live three times before, and he always played well - no matter how the show was. However, none of those gigs showed the Taylor we know from the 70s.[DP]

There are some moments when he's "back there", albeit shortly. We should treasure those moments.

I wonder what made him change his style, he was a born "genuine fluid" blues player. Like he's been brainwashed or something.

My guess is that, after the "prog-flirt" with Jack Bruce, he really tried to get back to the pure (unfortunately imo "white boy") blues. Throughout the "wrong" decade (the 80s) his sound and style developed in a slightly "sterile" way.

Since he's been playing within that framework for 30 years now, it might be kinda hard to break out of?

Just a theory...

Well, his style and fluidity with Dylan, maybe his best as a lead player imo, and the things he did in the mid 9-tees-I saw him then- reminds me a lot of his Mayall and Stones days, quite similar actually.. The change came later, to my ears.

Yes, white boys blues..nothing beats BB King cool smiley

Date: December 4, 2012 16:19

VT22
DandelionPowderman
VT22
DandelionPowderman
VT22

Just a theory...

Well, his style and fluidity with Dylan, maybe his best as a lead player imo, and the things he did in the mid 9-tees-I saw him then- reminds me a lot of his Mayall and Stones days, quite similar actually.. The change came later, to my ears.

Yeah, definitely agree about the Dylan-gigs. It's not black and white.

Then again, you can hear hints of the change already on his debut album, imo.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-12-04 16:20 by DandelionPowderman.

Date: December 4, 2012 16:37

DandelionPowderman
VT22
DandelionPowderman
VT22
DandelionPowderman
VT22

Just a theory...

It always amazes me why people call the 8-tees the "wrong decade"-apart from the Stones of course cool smiley Some of the greatest stuff happened there, imo. But that's OT.

Posted by: strettonbull ()
Date: December 4, 2012 16:54

ChefGuevara
Bill should get on the QE2 cruise. Only 7 days to NY.

It's the QM2 now.

Posted by: chop ()
Date: December 4, 2012 16:57

He could always take the hovercraft...across the water.

Date: December 4, 2012 17:05

VT22
DandelionPowderman
VT22
DandelionPowderman
VT22
DandelionPowderman
VT22

Just a theory...

It always amazes me why people call the 8-tees the "wrong decade"-apart from the Stones of course cool smiley Some of the greatest stuff happened there, imo. But that's OT.

Drum machines, synths, hairdos, fashion, taste, sound (in general), reverb, echo, massive "na na na-choruses" + + + I can go on forever.

Of course I like lots of stuff from the 80s myself, but it wasn't exactly my favorite decade when it comes to music, very much because of the sound.

Unfortunately, all of the things mentioned above wore off on most of the good acts as well. Not many of our favorite Stones, Who, Pink Floyd or Status Quo-albums are from the 80s.

The new technology was so distinct (and different) that it made the music quickly sound more dated/obsolete than music from the 50s, 60s and 70s.

The uproar happened in the 90s with grunge, when all the stuff from the 80s, even the flashy guitar solos winking smiley, was stripped off. They took it to far, though, imo. The 90s was even more boring, but not as tasteless-sounding, imo.

Just my two cents (although I really liked The Cars for some reason) smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-12-04 17:06 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: December 4, 2012 17:06

I agree that Taylor's playing during those 25 and 29 November concerts differs from his playing during the early 70ties with the Stones. It's less fluid and soaring, it's shorter and the notes are more 'separated' from each other. I too prefer his 70ties style with the Stones. Still, his playing added something extra the Stones miss painfully as a band. Keith and Ronnie don't offer that special excitement that Taylor's playing does, even if it's not as 'fantastic' as it used to be during the 69-74 epoque.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-12-04 17:07 by kleermaker.

Date: December 4, 2012 17:08

kleermaker
I agree that Taylor's playing during those 25 and 29 November concerts differs from his playing during the early 70ties with the Stones. It's less fluid and soaring, it's shorter and the notes are more 'separated' from each other. I too prefer his 70ties style with the Stones. Still, his playing added something extra the Stones miss painfully as a band. Keith and Ronnie don't offer that special excitement that Taylor's playing does, even if it's not as 'fantastic' as it used to be during the 69-74 epoque.

It was much more exciting than anyone could dream of prior to the shows.

Good to see you back, kleermaker! thumbs up

PS: It was Taylor's first gig since 1981 with the Stones. Let's give him time, I'm sure he will work some wonderment out winking smiley

Posted by: atip ()
Date: December 4, 2012 17:12

ChefGuevara
Bill should get on the QE2 cruise. Only 7 days to NY.

I checked the schedule a few weeks ago, but the timing doesn't work out. confused smiley

Date: December 4, 2012 17:17

DandelionPowderman
VT22
DandelionPowderman
VT22
DandelionPowderman
VT22
DandelionPowderman
VT22

Just a theory...

Drum machines, synths, hairdos, fashion, taste, sound (in general), reverb, echo, massive "na na na-choruses" + + + I can go on forever.

Of course I like lots of stuff from the 80s myself, but it wasn't exactly my favorite decade when it comes to music, very much because of the sound.

Unfortunately, all of the things mentioned above wore off on most of the good acts as well. Not many of our favorite Stones, Who, Pink Floyd or Status Quo-albums are from the 80s.

The new technology was so distinct (and different) that it made the music quickly sound more dated/obsolete than music from the 50s, 60s and 70s.

The uproar happened in the 90s with grunge, when all the stuff from the 80s, even the flashy guitar solos winking smiley, was stripped off. They took it to far, though, imo. The 90s was even more boring, but not as tasteless-sounding, imo.

Just my two cents (although I really liked The Cars for some reason) smiling smiley

The Cars struck the perfect balance of synth and straight rock. FU to god for taking Benjamin Orr at 53

Posted by: Rokyfan ()
Date: December 4, 2012 17:38

DandelionPowderman
kleermaker

PS: It was Taylor's first gig since 1981 with the Stones. Let's give him time, I'm sure he will work some wonderment out winking smiley

What do you mean give him time, there are three gigs left and nobody even knows if he is coming to those.

Date: December 4, 2012 18:09

chop
DandelionPowderman
VT22
DandelionPowderman
VT22
DandelionPowderman
VT22
DandelionPowderman
VT22

Just a theory...

The Cars struck the perfect balance of synth and straight rock. FU to god for taking Benjamin Orr at 53

I was more into Scandinavian chicks.

I saw them live in 1979 btw, not bad at all smiling smiley

Posted by: nomis ()
Date: December 4, 2012 18:20

Valeswood
jazzbass
Wyman was nice for nostalgia but he didn't really add anything to the show.

Who cares? It was great to see him re-united with the Stones. As an original member of the band he is unworthy of any criticism.

This is the correct answer.

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: December 4, 2012 18:22

nomis
Valeswood
jazzbass

Who cares? It was great to see him re-united with the Stones. As an original member of the band he is unworthy of any criticism.

dammit. i was just working on mine. thanks for spoiling it for everyone.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: December 4, 2012 18:25

jazzbass

Thanks for your opinion but that wasn't the question in the thread heading.

Date: December 4, 2012 18:29

nomis
Valeswood
jazzbass

thumbs up

Posted by: RollingGnome ()
Date: December 4, 2012 18:32

I will chuckle if bill shows up in New York...come on bill take a Valium get on the plane...first class isn't so bad to fly thumbs up

Date: December 4, 2012 18:40

nomis
Valeswood
jazzbass

So an original member is unworthy of any criticism, 7 to be precise ? That's what I call censorship.

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: December 4, 2012 19:08

DandelionPowderman
kleermaker

Thank you DandelionP. You're as kind as always. smileys with beer

Posted by: atip ()
Date: December 4, 2012 19:25

gotdablouse
With the announcement of MJ Blige and Gary Clark Jr as guests and no mention of MT/BZ it's not looking very promising -> [www.iorr.org] - but who knows, maybe they're doing it the other way this time.

No offence, but that's it??? Hope they have bigger things planned for Newark.

Date: December 4, 2012 19:29

Honestly...it would make sense for them to stay mum on it all, make us think they're not going to be there

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: December 4, 2012 23:23

Maybe they get the Brooklyn gig out of the way, without MT & Bill, and then announce them as being on board for the PPV on the 15th to drive sales. By the way, I was watching Monday Night Footbal last night and the song played was It's Only Rock and Roll. The band footage shown was the Stones performing the song at O2, with Wyman.

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: December 4, 2012 23:41

24FPS
Maybe they get the Brooklyn gig out of the way, without MT & Bill, and then announce them as being on board for the PPV on the 15th to drive sales. By the way, I was watching Monday Night Footbal last night and the song played was It's Only Rock and Roll. The band footage shown was the Stones performing the song at O2, with Wyman.

yeah that was cool. the clip was high quality so i hope there will be a dvd of that thursday show

Date: December 5, 2012 00:34

24FPS

Well, that would suck big time as I am going to th Brooklyn show.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: December 5, 2012 00:45

71Tele
24FPS

Well, that would suck big time as I am going to th Brooklyn show.

The problem with all this is that fans are expecting big time guests at all these shows. Will there be as big a buzz when it's just the same old same old coming to your town? It's obvious that hard core fans are tired of the same lineup since Steel Wheels, minus Wyman, the swing in the group. It seems like they don't want Bill & Mick T doing too much to show up the rest of the band. There's been a thirst created for them to be part of it now, and that's obviously not going to continue.

Posted by: angee ()
Date: December 5, 2012 03:12

I don't know. I just hope at least Mick Taylor shows up in the US.
I think that was an impetus, with possibly Bill for a number of people buying tickets to one or more shows.

~"Love is Strong"~

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1268
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home