Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3
Re: Are Mick Taylor and Bill Wyman playing in New York.
Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: December 5, 2012 03:33

I am assuming that if Mick T. does come to the US shows, he will do MR again. It would be nice to see him with the band, but I won't be majorly dissapointed if he isn't there. I think Keith and Ronnie are competitive enough that they will work extra hard to make sure the song sounds great without Mick T.

Posted by: WeLoveYou ()
Date: December 5, 2012 04:33

DandelionPowderman
VT22
DandelionPowderman
VT22
DandelionPowderman
VT22
No, he's not. However, I've always found Taylor's playing good, but he has indeed developed a different style, playing very often without a pick. The runs are shorter, his sense of timing is different and the sound is cleaner.

I've seen him live three times before, and he always played well - no matter how the show was. However, none of those gigs showed the Taylor we know from the 70s.[DP]

Yes, I agree, the runs a shorter, the sound is cleaner, the timing different.
I liked the the "old Taylor" much more, certainly within the Stones framework.

There are some moments when he's "back there", albeit shortly. We should treasure those moments.

Yes, we cannot turn back the clock, just play those old bootlegs.
I wonder what made him change his style, he was a born "genuine fluid" blues player. Like he's been brainwashed or something.

My guess is that, after the "prog-flirt" with Jack Bruce, he really tried to get back to the pure (unfortunately imo "white boy") blues. Throughout the "wrong" decade (the 80s) his sound and style developed in a slightly "sterile" way.

Since he's been playing within that framework for 30 years now, it might be kinda hard to break out of?

Just a theory...

Well, his style and fluidity with Dylan, maybe his best as a lead player imo, and the things he did in the mid 9-tees-I saw him then- reminds me a lot of his Mayall and Stones days, quite similar actually.. The change came later, to my ears.

Yeah, definitely agree about the Dylan-gigs. It's not black and white.

Then again, you can hear hints of the change already on his debut album, imo.

Interesting comments. I would go further and say that Mick T sounded better in 1969 than the later Stones years. There's something about his playing in 1969, listen to the verse guitar fills in HTW (Ya-Yas version), also various licks on I'm Free (deluxe Ya-Yas). There was a youthful magic to his playing in the early days. Also listen to the later Mayall albums he played on.

Date: December 5, 2012 09:44

WeLoveYou
DandelionPowderman
VT22
DandelionPowderman
VT22
DandelionPowderman
VT22
No, he's not. However, I've always found Taylor's playing good, but he has indeed developed a different style, playing very often without a pick. The runs are shorter, his sense of timing is different and the sound is cleaner.

I've seen him live three times before, and he always played well - no matter how the show was. However, none of those gigs showed the Taylor we know from the 70s.[DP]

Yes, I agree, the runs a shorter, the sound is cleaner, the timing different.
I liked the the "old Taylor" much more, certainly within the Stones framework.

There are some moments when he's "back there", albeit shortly. We should treasure those moments.

Yes, we cannot turn back the clock, just play those old bootlegs.
I wonder what made him change his style, he was a born "genuine fluid" blues player. Like he's been brainwashed or something.

My guess is that, after the "prog-flirt" with Jack Bruce, he really tried to get back to the pure (unfortunately imo "white boy") blues. Throughout the "wrong" decade (the 80s) his sound and style developed in a slightly "sterile" way.

Since he's been playing within that framework for 30 years now, it might be kinda hard to break out of?

Just a theory...

Well, his style and fluidity with Dylan, maybe his best as a lead player imo, and the things he did in the mid 9-tees-I saw him then- reminds me a lot of his Mayall and Stones days, quite similar actually.. The change came later, to my ears.

Yeah, definitely agree about the Dylan-gigs. It's not black and white.

Then again, you can hear hints of the change already on his debut album, imo.

Interesting comments. I would go further and say that Mick T sounded better in 1969 than the later Stones years. There's something about his playing in 1969, listen to the verse guitar fills in HTW (Ya-Yas version), also various licks on I'm Free (deluxe Ya-Yas). There was a youthful magic to his playing in the early days. Also listen to the later Mayall albums he played on.

I tend to agree, mainly because of Taylor's sense of timing in 1969. He really learned when to play and not to play. In 1972, and especially in 1973, he played all over the songs.

Good observation about I'm Free! IMO, his playing there was a hint of what to come on songs like Moonlight Mile and Time Waits For No One. His first flirt with jazz/prog/other scales in a rock song.

Date: December 5, 2012 09:47

Rokyfan
DandelionPowderman
kleermaker
I agree that Taylor's playing during those 25 and 29 November concerts differs from his playing during the early 70ties with the Stones. It's less fluid and soaring, it's shorter and the notes are more 'separated' from each other. I too prefer his 70ties style with the Stones. Still, his playing added something extra the Stones miss painfully as a band. Keith and Ronnie don't offer that special excitement that Taylor's playing does, even if it's not as 'fantastic' as it used to be during the 69-74 epoque.

It was much more exciting than anyone could dream of prior to the shows.

Good to see you back, kleermaker! thumbs up

PS: It was Taylor's first gig since 1981 with the Stones. Let's give him time, I'm sure he will work some wonderment out winking smiley

What do you mean give him time, there are three gigs left and nobody even knows if he is coming to those.

There is an anniversary in 2013! Don't forget that. This is just foreplay grinning smiley

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: December 5, 2012 12:05

angee
I don't know. I just hope at least Mick Taylor shows up in the US.
I think that was an impetus, with possibly Bill for a number of people buying tickets to one or more shows.

Not originally but now that the excitement of his O2 appearance has been shared it's bound to be a disappointment if he doesn't show up in the US. I know quite a few people who decided to go to the O2 after his presence was confirmed. I'll be expecting him at the next show I attend in 2013 for sure ;-)

Posted by: TheMeaning ()
Date: December 12, 2012 16:13

MICK TAYLOR IS IN! MIDNIGHT RAMBLER LIVE IN NJ!! AWESOME!!!...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-12-12 16:16 by TheMeaning.

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1735
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home