Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
Are Mick Taylor and Bill Wyman playing in New York.
Posted by: king ()
Date: December 4, 2012 05:28

Has it been confirmed that M.T will play all 3 gigs in N.Y?
What about Bill?

Re: Are Mick Taylor and Bill Wyman playing in New York.
Posted by: chop ()
Date: December 4, 2012 06:12

Nobody knows...stones camp hasn't said anything about it yet. Hard to believe they won't be there at the PPV concert

Though there was some article about a month ago stating both would be at ll of the reunion shows

Date: December 4, 2012 06:18

PROBLY not. Most likely Mick Taylor.

Posted by: jazzbass ()
Date: December 4, 2012 08:36

Wyman was nice for nostalgia but he didn't really add anything to the show.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: December 4, 2012 09:34

jazzbass

Wasn't given much to do at the shows.

Give him MISS YOU!

Date: December 4, 2012 09:53

Bill doesn't fly, so just Taylor here I believe.

Posted by: Valeswood ()
Date: December 4, 2012 10:49

jazzbass

Who cares? It was great to see him re-united with the Stones. As an original member of the band he is unworthy of any criticism.

Posted by: Doc ()
Date: December 4, 2012 11:04

Bill took a boat right after the 2nd O2 gig so he should be on time

Posted by: polandstones ()
Date: December 4, 2012 11:26

Mick Taylor confirmed.

Posted by: Dreamer ()
Date: December 4, 2012 11:34

polandstones
Mick Taylor confirmed.

By who?
He has a gig in Spain on Dec.15...not canceled (yet?).

Posted by: VT22 ()
Date: December 4, 2012 11:54

Maybe Bill won't go to NY just to play 2 songs, plus he likely wants some cash.
Enjoy your swim Bill, the tide is high.

I wonder if Jagger cares anyway.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: December 4, 2012 12:03

He cares about the media exposure anyway. With Bill and Mick he'll get some on US medias...

Beats the "the old farts are back - combined age : 434 years etc etc" media routine of yesteryears! smoking smiley

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: December 4, 2012 13:29

It would certainly be a big letdown if Taylor wasn't there, I don't think anyone will argue that seeing him on stage with them and playing his ass off wasn't the highlight of the shows and possibly the best moment in Stones live history for decades.

Without Taylor (and to a lesser extent Wyman), it's just business as usual, and probably the reason I (and likely many others) didn't bother going to their shows between 2002 and 2012...

Date: December 4, 2012 14:21

gotdablouse
It would certainly be a big letdown if Taylor wasn't there, I don't think anyone will argue that seeing him on stage with them and playing his ass off wasn't the highlight of the shows and possibly the best moment in Stones live history for decades.

Without Taylor (and to a lesser extent Wyman), it's just business as usual, and probably the reason I (and likely many others) didn't bother going to their shows between 2002 and 2012...

Why don't they do more songs with Taylor? Can it be the rehearsals are all last minute? If Mick T gets the opportunity to rehearse several times with the Stones, he might reach his old playing level and will sound like he did back in the 7-tees. That would add real spirit to the Stones, and not just for one song.

The Stones need a player like that, not just MT as a touristic attraction, or as you pointed out, just business as usual.

Date: December 4, 2012 14:32

Yeah a Mick Taylor mini set with MR, Sway and CHYMK...wow but then the rest is going to sound rather bland...The way they should deal with it is have him on stage on all the songs of his era, that way no insult to Ronnie, not that he's too bothered most likely.

I think that might happen if :
- Taylor doesn't play in the US and everyone goes WTF ?!
- Mick and Keith continue mellowing as they hit 70 and say, WTF, we ruled the world during the Taylor years, we'll have a bit of that back thanks.

If anything Mick was already there in 1995 in the long Jan Wenner interview when he clearly said he missed the Taylor years. It took 15 years for the next step with the lead on PMS (Keith didn't know about it or so he says...), then the O2 shows...

Date: December 4, 2012 14:35

gotdablouse
Yeah a Mick Taylor mini set with MR, Sway and CHYMK...wow but then the rest is going to sound rather bland...The way they should deal with it is have him on stage on all the songs of his era, that way no insult to Ronnie, not that he's too bothered most likely.

- Mick and Keith continue mellowing as they hit 70 and say, WTF, we ruled the world during the Taylor years, we'll have a bit of that back thanks.

If anything Mick was already there in 1995 in the long Jan Wenner interview when he clearly said he missed the Taylor years. It took 15 years for the next step with the lead on PMS (Keith didn't know about it or so he says...), then the O2 shows...

If you think through the gigs, after the excitement of seeing Taylor on stage with the Stones again has passed, Do you really think so?

On the show I catched (# 1), Taylor played good, but nowhere near great. The show, however, was great, not bland at all.

Posted by: chop ()
Date: December 4, 2012 14:37

Doc

How do you know this?

Date: December 4, 2012 14:42

That post was missing a smiley...

@DandelionPowderman - I was referring to the case of a three song Taylor mini-set in the middle. It would have been hard to recover from that I think. It would still probably have worked at the O2 with the other guests and the choir. But on a random date next summer?

Posted by: Father Ted ()
Date: December 4, 2012 14:42

MT essentially got the same stage time as Eric Clapton and Jeff BecK and I don't think we'll be seeing either of them on any new Stones album either. Sorry to rain on people's parade but I just can't see it happening any more than Bill Wyman would be invited back to the studio. MT was a Stone, now he's a guest...a very welcome one who would no doubt add considerable flair to new recordings.

Fingers crossed that MR will appear for all his American fans too.

Posted by: Grison ()
Date: December 4, 2012 14:46

you will know by Thursday latest anyway, just before the last spin of Ticketreleases.
I just thought that it was a very nice occassion to see Mick Taylor and Bill Wyman again in London. Though people are now pull apart every riff of the song I thought he did great.

I hope for the US that he will be invited for all 3 shows and if they can convince Wyman I am sure he will join.

Date: December 4, 2012 14:49

With the announcement of MJ Blige and Gary Clark Jr as guests and no mention of MT/BZ it's not looking very promising -> [www.iorr.org] - but who knows, maybe they're doing it the other way this time.

Posted by: Rokyfan ()
Date: December 4, 2012 14:51

Father Ted
MT essentially got the same stage time as Eric Clapton and Jeff BecK and I don't think we'll be seeing either of them on any new Stones album either. Sorry to rain on people's parade but I just can't see it happening any more than Bill Wyman would be invited back to the studio. MT was a Stone, now he's a guest...a very welcome one who would no doubt add considerable flair to new recordings.

Fingers crossed that MR will appear for all his American fans too.

Of course. He is/was a guest. He's not joining the band, they don't have an opening for a guitarist. And he ws by far not the highlight of the show, althought it ws great to see him. The highlight was the two Stones guitarists -- Keith and Woody -- playing the way they did. The rest is fluff.

Date: December 4, 2012 14:55

DandelionPowderman
gotdablouse

If you think through the gigs, after the excitement of seeing Taylor on stage with the Stones again has passed, Do you really think so?

On the show I catched (# 1), Taylor played good, but nowhere near great. The show, however, was great, not bland at all.

So you agree with me we have seen a MT who's not the player he used to be in
the early 7-tees?

Date: December 4, 2012 15:12

VT22
DandelionPowderman
gotdablouse

So you agree with me we have seen a MT who's not the player he used to be in
the early 7-tees?

No, he's not. However, I've always found Taylor's playing good, but he has indeed developed a different style, playing very often without a pick. The runs are shorter, his sense of timing is different and the sound is cleaner.

I've seen him live three times before, and he always played well - no matter how the show was. However, none of those gigs showed the Taylor we know from the 70s.

The others don't play like they did in the 70s either. They can still create magic, though. That's why I love the Stones.

@gotdablouse:
I don't disagree with you. However, I think the Stones were clever, using Taylor on one song only. Three might have been too much - not because it would be so hard to follow - but more like they would risk too much instrumentation to be a bore for the not-so-hard core fans. Remember, half of the arena probably don't know him so well.

Posted by: Doc ()
Date: December 4, 2012 15:15

chop
Doc

How do you know this?

I was kidding !
smiling bouncing smiley

Date: December 4, 2012 15:16

No, he's not. However, I've always found Taylor's playing good, but he has indeed developed a different style, playing very often without a pick. The runs are shorter, his sense of timing is different and the sound is cleaner.

I've seen him live three times before, and he always played well - no matter how the show was. However, none of those gigs showed the Taylor we know from the 70s.[DP]

Yes, I agree, the runs a shorter, the sound is cleaner, the timing different.
I liked the "old Taylor" much more, certainly within the Stones framework.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: December 4, 2012 15:21

gotdablouse
With the announcement of MJ Blige and Gary Clark Jr as guests and no mention of MT/BZ it's not looking very promising -> [www.iorr.org] - but who knows, maybe they're doing it the other way this time.

For the London shows, the special guests were confirmed a few days before the announcement that Taylor and Wyman would be playing.

Date: December 4, 2012 15:23

VT22

I've seen him live three times before, and he always played well - no matter how the show was. However, none of those gigs showed the Taylor we know from the 70s.[DP]

I liked the the "old Taylor" much more, certainly within the Stones framework.

There are some moments when he's "back there", albeit shortly. We should treasure those moments.

Date: December 4, 2012 15:30

DandelionPowderman
VT22

I liked the the "old Taylor" much more, certainly within the Stones framework.

There are some moments when he's "back there", albeit shortly. We should treasure those moments.

Yes, we cannot turn back the clock, just play those old bootlegs.
I wonder what made him change his style, he was a born "genuine fluid" blues player. Like he's been brainwashed or something.

Posted by: ChefGuevara ()
Date: December 4, 2012 15:32

Bill should get on the QE2 cruise. Only 7 days to NY.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2323
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home