Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: Stonesdoug mentioning rumor of MSG in January
Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: November 20, 2012 10:52

gotdablouse
Doxa
I think you are here hitting somewhere here. It could be very well that they have a new winning receipt in their hands now, The common idea is that these London/NYC area dates are a special occassion to celebrate the 50th Anniversary, and a 'normal' tour will follow afterwards. But mostly the latter right now is just a wish talk by fans.

There are lots of capitals and business centers in the world where they could apply the new concept. And most likely a few dates announced anywhere in the world would make a huge fuss in that area (being that 'special'). And there surely are rather enough folks with the needed money in pocket.

From the view of the Stones, this is a win-win situation. The whole thing will not be so stressing as a whole scale tour that probably starts being too much asked from the folks of their age and health (thinking also, say, of securance issues). And keeping the tickets prices sky-high, that is, there is a promoter (or whatever instance) who will pay them the asked sum, and then sell the product to consumers, they will gather easily kind of sums they once did for bigger effort. And there will be no 'ends' in near future: the concept can be used as long they think it is worth of that. 50 AND COUNTING indeed. Its more 'flexible' than a normal tour, since each concert is a kind of individual event.

If this will come true, we might expect some 'surprise' gigs as well - be them such things as in Paris or, say, an appearance in a rock festival. A kind of things that would keep hopes of the fans alive, and the biggest criticism by the media absent. Call them 'PR gigs'.

- Doxa

Yes that's certainly the most reasonable approach at this time, no more lengthy and grinding tours and endless layover periods, they'll want to keep their chops and play whenever they feel like it and take time off for other projets if need be. That's what McCartney's been doing over the past three years now and it seems to be working well for him and the fans.

Hopefully the good reception of the new songs, particularly D&G, five successful shows (touch wood) and this more "relaxed" atmosphere within the band (no longer that new album/massive tour combo pressure) will take them back to the studio. Actually that's pretty much a lock now I think since Mick said he wanted to do it and Keith will certainly be all for that. Good times ahead, guys !

<<< Yes that's certainly the most reasonable approach at this time, no more lengthy and grinding tours and endless layover periods, they'll want to keep their chops and play whenever they feel like it and take time off for other projets if need be. That's what McCartney's been doing over the past three years now and it seems to be working well for him and the fans >>>

thumbs up

[ I want to shout, but I can hardly speak ]

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: November 20, 2012 11:51

TeddyB1018
There will be lots of gigs in 2013.

yup.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: November 20, 2012 11:53

gotdablouse
Doxa
I think you are here hitting somewhere here. It could be very well that they have a new winning receipt in their hands now, The common idea is that these London/NYC area dates are a special occassion to celebrate the 50th Anniversary, and a 'normal' tour will follow afterwards. But mostly the latter right now is just a wish talk by fans.

There are lots of capitals and business centers in the world where they could apply the new concept. And most likely a few dates announced anywhere in the world would make a huge fuss in that area (being that 'special'). And there surely are rather enough folks with the needed money in pocket.

From the view of the Stones, this is a win-win situation. The whole thing will not be so stressing as a whole scale tour that probably starts being too much asked from the folks of their age and health (thinking also, say, of securance issues). And keeping the tickets prices sky-high, that is, there is a promoter (or whatever instance) who will pay them the asked sum, and then sell the product to consumers, they will gather easily kind of sums they once did for bigger effort. And there will be no 'ends' in near future: the concept can be used as long they think it is worth of that. 50 AND COUNTING indeed. Its more 'flexible' than a normal tour, since each concert is a kind of individual event.

If this will come true, we might expect some 'surprise' gigs as well - be them such things as in Paris or, say, an appearance in a rock festival. A kind of things that would keep hopes of the fans alive, and the biggest criticism by the media absent. Call them 'PR gigs'.

- Doxa

Yes that's certainly the most reasonable approach at this time, no more lengthy and grinding tours and endless layover periods, they'll want to keep their chops and play whenever they feel like it and take time off for other projets if need be. That's what McCartney's been doing over the past three years now and it seems to be working well for him and the fans.

Hopefully the good reception of the new songs, particularly D&G, five successful shows (touch wood) and this more "relaxed" atmosphere within the band (no longer that new album/massive tour combo pressure) will take them back to the studio. Actually that's pretty much a lock now I think since Mick said he wanted to do it and Keith will certainly be all for that. Good times ahead, guys !

Good times ahead, I hope, but I also hope that they follow McCartney also in ticket price categories. If the norm to see the nostalgia act is £400, I'll happily pass the 'good times' and leave that to other people who find that kind of investment for entertainment tolerable (but I hope they keep opening the vaults, though).

- Doxa

Date: November 20, 2012 12:00

Gazza
TeddyB1018

yup.

Wonderful to know and/or to dream about until they become a reality, but surely NOT at these current prices, they CAN'T do .................... or CAN they ??????????? Gulp !!

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: November 20, 2012 12:12

Well if they play arenas in large cities I don't see why the pricing would be any different. Why would they change it since they sold out these five shows?

@Doxa - yes, by "good times ahead" I was also/mostly thinking about a new album and seeing them play concerts regularly and get coverage in the news, that's always "pleasant" for a die-hard fan. As for seeing them live again, I passed on their shows for 10 years before the Trabendo/mini-Trabendo/O2 "triple" so I won't be anxious about going back. A "golden circle" at €150 (€90 in 2007 apparently) in a big stadium like the Stade de France could be of interest though ;-)

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-11-20 12:13 by gotdablouse.

Date: November 20, 2012 12:38

gotdablouse
Well if they play arenas in large cities I don't see why the pricing would be any different. Why would they change it since they sold out these five shows?

@Doxa - yes, by "good times ahead" I was also/mostly thinking about a new album and seeing them play concerts regularly and get coverage in the news, that's always "pleasant" for a die-hard fan. As for seeing them live again, I passed on their shows for 10 years before the Trabendo/mini-Trabendo/O2 "triple" so I won't be anxious about going back. A "golden circle" at €150 (€90 in 2007 apparently) in a big stadium like the Stade de France could be of interest though ;-)

If you listen carefully to what Jagger & Co have said about prices (not a lot admittedly), they have vaguely alluded to the fact that the pricing of these shows was in part determined by a need to recoup some kind of "significant" initial outlay as he/they put it, presumably that refers to all these prolonged rehearsals and the stage and all that stuff. In that respect, possibly incorrectly - but possibly not - one interpretation that's been put on what he/they have said is that these initial shows will assume a different (higher) pricing structure than anything else that might follow - IF of course anthing at all follows !!

Might be wishful thinking, but I for one would find it hard to believe that if they elect to put on shows in anything other than countries like the U.K. & the U.S. & say Scandinavia, Switzerland perhaps - where for better or for worse, incomes ARE greater than in most all other parts of the world, they could adopt the same pricing structure. I don't think so. By ANY standards, these are very highly priced shows, even by U.K & U.S standards - let alone other hemispheres.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: November 20, 2012 14:08

Supply and demand is the key.

this format can work when there's four or five shows in two cities and only 90,000 tickets up for grabs.

Its not feasible if they have a couple of million tickets available for shows in 30-50 cities.

Posted by: Grison ()
Date: November 20, 2012 14:29

paulywaul
Might be wishful thinking, but I for one would find it hard to believe that if they elect to put on shows in anything other than countries like the U.K. & the U.S. & say Scandinavia, Switzerland perhaps - where for better or for worse, incomes ARE greater than in most all other parts of the world, they could adopt the same pricing structure. I don't think so. By ANY standards, these are very highly priced shows, even by U.K & U.S standards - let alone other hemispheres.
As for Switzerland speaking, nobody would pay such prices to see anyone, even though the salary structure might be higher. Don't forget that living is already much more expensive, then again has its big advantages to live here. Streisand tickets went two days before the show 2/3 down and people got furious as some already bought the highly priced tickets while other hat the benefit. Even then the Arena was ca half full. Interesintwise some major acts in Switzerland hat cheaper tickets than in Germany, like Tina Turner the last time and also others I went to. Switzerland would be only good if they would be 3-5 concerts as the only ones in Middle Europe. Then I could imagine that there is some going.

For the MSG I doubt very much lower prices as these had been already the highest during ABB.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: November 20, 2012 15:07

paulywaul
gotdablouse

If you listen carefully to what Jagger & Co have said about prices (not a lot admittedly), they have vaguely alluded to the fact that the pricing of these shows was in part determined by a need to recoup some kind of "significant" initial outlay as he/they put it, presumably that refers to all these prolonged rehearsals and the stage and all that stuff. In that respect, possibly incorrectly - but possibly not - one interpretation that's been put on what he/they have said is that these initial shows will assume a different (higher) pricing structure than anything else that might follow - IF of course anthing at all follows !!

There might be some point in that talk of 'the stage and rehearsals and all that costs so damn much, so we need to compansate that with ticket prices", but I still don't quite buy it. If the band 'hits the road' now, that won't be 'cheap' either. To get that stage all over the world and pay all their servants and hotell bills and jets and everything... if the band decides to do stadium shows, they need a new stage for that, and supposedly it won't be any cheaper. I think the bottom line is that the 'personal' profit the band wants to make out of playing live, is so huge sum that it alone is the very reason why the ticket prices needs to be so high. There they seemingly don't do compromises.

The whole thing, in the end, is the question of 'supply and demand' as Gazza argued above. They ask as much as they can go away with.

If I may predict - having nothing kind of 'insider knowledge' - I could easily see a some kind of reduced arena tour - some kind of mix of these London/NYC shows and NO SECURITY tour - going over Europe. The ticket prices aren't be so high as in London, but still damn high - clearly higher (at least twice) than any other rock act ever have asked from these markets. To avoid too much travelling (costs), I could think that the concerts being targeted just to some central, good located places, easily catched by a lot of people. For example, Scandinavia might be just Oslo and Stockholm, or just Gothenburg (like in 1982). There are enough idiots in Scandinavia to fill an ice hockey arena once or twice for some 400 Euros tickets, if marketed rightly. The same goes for, say, St. Petersburg; there are people potential to pay such sums for such a 'luxury'.

This formula then could be applied to Mid-European market, taking some central cities as central points, (say, Paris, Amsterdam, Berlin). And so on.

And so, added with some private gigs, we have an "European Tour"... Probably the best profited by any act ever...

The premise in my speculation is that The Stones don't usually 'look back' when making new plans. Once they tasted the London/NYC experiment, and it tasted so good, can they go back to 'normal'? The Stones rarely do 'expections', and I am afraid this is not one either. We are learning a new formula with a new level ticket prices. It's up to us to what think of that. To vote with feet or not.

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-11-20 15:15 by Doxa.

Posted by: andrewt ()
Date: November 20, 2012 17:19

TeddyB1018

No doubt. But would they really give up their sunny vacations in January for a show? I'll add a rumour, totally unfounded, that they will be in Toronto for rehearsals sometime in the spring ahead of more N.A. dates.

Posted by: mgguy ()
Date: November 20, 2012 17:43

as the Stone's age, so age the fans. Gonna be more than a few with remote in hand on the 15th, watching the 60" HD TV with the surround cranking. Bar will be open.

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: November 20, 2012 18:41

30 to 50 dates in 2013 ? That would be a major tour and I don't see that happening, like Doxa says, once they've tasted something they'll keep doing it, if they feel they have to go back (to the grind of a massive tour in this case) they'll just stop...or play a few shows here and there like they're about to do, it's easy, Japan, Russia, Scandinavia, South America, California, that would keep them busy for a year and give them some time to record the album that Mick wants ;-)

As for the costs, Mick's comments (the cost is the same whether the play 5 shows or a full tour) make no sense, it's just a cheap deflection attempt, unless he's referring to the design of a new stage design specifically and to the rehearsals that supposedly cost £1 million but that was easily offset by Carmignac anyway.

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-11-20 19:15 by gotdablouse.

Posted by: Woz ()
Date: November 20, 2012 18:49

There will be a few nights at MSG and 3 nights in LA in early February.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-11-20 19:14 by Woz.

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: November 20, 2012 19:07

Gazza
Does the rest of the US outside of a twenty mile radius of Manhattan not have any money at all???

Gazza,

Unfortunately, this is indeed the case. I, for one, who have managed to see each tour since Bridges - and granted I had no intention of going on this one unless Taylor and Wyman were there - simply could not afford the tix even if I wanted to. Living paycheck to paycheck these days, still working at my job, with nominal increases that don't even come close to keeping up with the inflation going on. As someone else pointed out already, we are in for four more years of further deepening uncertainty, and you can be sure that we are nowhere near the end of our recession.

The costs of some fairly basic, yet pertinent necessities in my household have just about doubled in about a year's time: mayonnaise, peanut butter, coffee. The cost of a new Toyota Highlander for the 2013 model year is up $10K from what it would have cost last year when the lease on my pickup was up. I've noted the costs of Toyota's in general has gone way up in this time period.

There is simply no extravagant amounts of extra money to be had these days, and what is left, isn't going to be spent by the average consumer on ticket prices of this magnitude.

VL13

Date: November 20, 2012 22:03

Woz
There will be a few nights at MSG and 3 nights in LA in early February.

Thanks, DW. I think it's great that they are going to acknowledge Charlie's 50th with the band. No better place than MSG.

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: November 20, 2012 23:27

Gazza
Does the rest of the US outside of a twenty mile radius of Manhattan not have any money at all???

I think its more of a question of common sense and spending the money wisely. This is not wise.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: November 20, 2012 23:30

superrevvy
ROPENI
Well,their ego may make them do it,but unless they bring those prices down drastically,they will have a half empty house,l just checked at Ticketmaster and there are plenty of tickets available for Brooklyn,plus 1000's available at stubhub,and similar places,so it doesn't make sense,but who knows..

NOT their ego. mick's lack of ego.

for the hundreth time, mick is trying his best to kill off the stones in such
a way that nobody will care anymore that they're done.

and he's doing a fine job of it, i must say.

it would have been much more dignified if keith would have just retired, but
since he won't, mick is gonna force him into it, no matter how many shitty
overpriced shows it takes for keith and everybody else to see the light.

it is the only way for mick to finally get the STONES MONKEY off his back forever.

Interesting theory, but why go to all the trouble? No Mick, no Stones. If Jagger really wanted to kill them off, he could simply refuse to take part in any shows.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: November 20, 2012 23:31

VoodooLounge13
Gazza

Gazza,

Unfortunately, this is indeed the case. I, for one, who have managed to see each tour since Bridges - and granted I had no intention of going on this one unless Taylor and Wyman were there - simply could not afford the tix even if I wanted to. Living paycheck to paycheck these days, still working at my job, with nominal increases that don't even come close to keeping up with the inflation going on. As someone else pointed out already, we are in for four more years of further deepening uncertainty, and you can be sure that we are nowhere near the end of our recession.

The costs of some fairly basic, yet pertinent necessities in my household have just about doubled in about a year's time: mayonnaise, peanut butter, coffee. The cost of a new Toyota Highlander for the 2013 model year is up $10K from what it would have cost last year when the lease on my pickup was up. I've noted the costs of Toyota's in general has gone way up in this time period.

There is simply no extravagant amounts of extra money to be had these days, and what is left, isn't going to be spent by the average consumer on ticket prices of this magnitude.

VL13

Mayonnaise is a "pertinent necessity"?

Posted by: JaIsNotDead ()
Date: November 20, 2012 23:37

does BV know anything about this?

Also, i'm interested in a single ticket for any of the nyc area shows. let me know if anyone has a single up for sale in the coming weeks. Thanks.

Posted by: steverogan ()
Date: November 20, 2012 23:50

stonesnow
Gazza
superrevvy
Gazza

if Mick can get even the Shidoobs to give up on the band, then he will truly be home free

Now your mad theories are starting to make sense.... grinning smiley

Not even close. As I mentioned earlier, the "50 and Counting" tour will be around for a couple of years. No lengthy run of dates in a short time will be announced. Mick wants for The Stones to be the biggest grossing act of all time, as for Mick especially there is great media prestige in that. They will announce a few shows at a time, in major metropolitan areas where there are enough people to pay the huge ticket prices. Doesn't matter if they sell them all, with the secondary markets in play, they have a guaranteed amount up front, a good $6 to $7 million per show. They will announce one MSG show, then soon after another. Notice the pattern here? A show or two announced a couple of months ahead of time, with an extra show or two added. The first announcement creates demand, because you don't know where or if and when they'll play beyond the few dates announced. What appears to be a mini-tour will just string along over months and when the money is counted will be a major-grossing "tour"--one to top U2. Let's see, one show at MSG makes it $38 million total, one more makes it $45 million, then it's another $705 million to go for the record.

True about creating demand, BUT there are many many options for tix at barclay's on TM right now... more of the same , i think, to follow when they continue to overcharge for a product well beyond the means of the average customer.. the stones' shelf life is soon expiring... a business needs its customers to be motivated and willing and able to spend. NYers right now are recovering from the worst hurricane in its history... frankly i'd love to them schedule more shows at these prices, play to half empty arenas ad eat a little crow. I think they will "donate" tix to Sandy victims, or make a cash doation like they did for the RCMH "Robin Hood Foundation" show.That'll be how they "save face".

Posted by: FrankM ()
Date: November 20, 2012 23:50

It doesn't make sense to have all the shows in the same area unless this is a trial run and if all goes well they will tour the rest of the country.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: November 20, 2012 23:52

Could they have found a way to pump fresh ideas the live thing?

I mean instead of booking entire tours months in advance they announce one or two shows in one city, see how tix sell... If they do sell well they add another date etc. When one city/market is dry they move to another one (L.A. Tokyo Chicago Paris etc).

Sounds very clever... I can see that for 2013.

Date: November 20, 2012 23:54

LeonidP
Gazza

I think its more of a question of common sense and spending the money wisely. This is not wise.

Not just "common sense"- just read the papers- high unemployment, underwater mortgages,volatile stock market, record national debt, tight credit,and the "fiscal cliff" the US is facing are much more "top of mind" than any show...
quite daunting.. USA isnot the economic force it was.. we just print money ala Obama ( to bail out the Auto industry), and devalue or dollar.

Date: November 20, 2012 23:54

nick
Gazza

I'm within 8miles and just can't do it this time, it's defeating. Using what money i can do and getting some Stones CD singles I've been wanting.

Same here. I'll be lucky if I can afford the Pay Per View.

Posted by: lem motlow ()
Date: November 21, 2012 00:21

they'll go where the money is-

the entire tour could be london.new york.los angeles.tokyo.dubai and a few others adding up to a huge box office gross with far less work.

this is most likely what keith was referring to when he mentioned "a different way for the stones to tour"awhile back.

- of course that makes it just that much funnier that all the keithettes were doing backflips and summersaults because they thought he wanted the band to do 3000 seat theaters for $50 a ticket,ya know because he's just in it for the music maaan.

Posted by: angee ()
Date: November 21, 2012 01:02

Gazza,
they do have bucks in other areas, but it looks to me like Keith may prefer to commute from home...cool smiley

superev, I thought you were gone.
what prompted this wordy return? I know, you told us so. riiiiiight.

~"Love is Strong"~

Posted by: mickschix ()
Date: November 21, 2012 01:33

That just made my decision an easy one for sure! I'll wait and see if the prices go down for MSG. That's a much easier venue to get to, I can take a train, hotels are easier to find & cheap in Jan. If the prices are still absurd, I just may pass.

Posted by: samunknown ()
Date: November 21, 2012 01:34

i hope they'll visit other European cities next year! i hope Amsterdam too.

Date: November 21, 2012 01:36

NY has suffered over 50,000 jobs and approximately 35-50 billion dollars in damages... not so sure a concert is first on their shopping list.

Date: November 21, 2012 01:43

steverogan
NY has suffered over 50,000 jobs and approximately 35-50 billion dollars in damages... not so sure a concert is first on their shopping list.

Being from NJ, I can empathize with you but some good live Stones music might be just what this area needs after Hurricane Sandy.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1689
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home