Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
OT: Georg Harisson - All things must pass
Date: December 28, 2004 23:21

How's your opinion as Stones folks about the the Georg Harisson album "All things must pass"" ?
I like it very much !!!

Please let me know.
Schuine

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-05-14 16:12 by bv.

Re: All things must pass
Posted by: KSIE ()
Date: December 28, 2004 23:27

Easily the best thing he ever did (solo), although I can live without the long "Jam" song at the end.

karl

'Don’t forget, if you’re on your bike, wear white'

Posted by: bassplayer617 ()
Date: December 28, 2004 23:43

It's a classic, with great songs and a production that recreates the "wall of Sound".

Posted by: BOBM ()
Date: December 29, 2004 00:08

Fantastic. like everything he ever did.

Posted by: charlystone ()
Date: December 29, 2004 00:42

What is the life the song of the album, my sweet lord incredible, and all the album is great. I have a version of the song all thing must pass, singing by paul, in the era of the beatles. Harrion was a good men, i have too THE CONCERT FOR GEORGE;with eric, tom petty, jeff, and others, did yo saw that???. Give love, give my love give my peace on earth.....
THANK YOU GEORGE

Posted by: davido ()
Date: December 29, 2004 01:55

Was considered a classic. Check out the
recent remaster. Excellent songs, playing,
but I could do without the Phil Spector
Wall of Sound on this one, as with his
other Beatle efforts. Is overdone.

Posted by: shattered ()
Date: December 29, 2004 06:25

Schuine: How-a-bout "Crackerbox Palace"?

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: December 29, 2004 06:28

The Concert for George was one of the best all-star concerts (Dylan's 30th being the best, IMO) ever. Goose-bumps. Yeah, ATMP is a classic, classic album.

Date: December 29, 2004 07:12

"Beware of Darkness" still makes the hair on my heck stand on end. But you knew that, already, didn't you, ErTwlight of the Gods!!! ;`}

"The wonder of Jimi Hendrix was that he could stand up at all he was so pumped full of drugs." Patsy, Patsy Stone

Posted by: SatanicFlowers ()
Date: December 29, 2004 09:49

Each of the Beatle's song writer's (sorry Ringo)
first solo albums (circa 1970) were their zeniths
...with George just killing it with ATMP.
God (insert your maker) we miss John an George!

- Thru our past darkly...

Date: December 29, 2004 10:45

I'm a very big fan of McCartney's first two solo albums. They beat the crap out of Lennons's primal screams, I'll tell you.

"The wonder of Jimi Hendrix was that he could stand up at all he was so pumped full of drugs." Patsy, Patsy Stone

Posted by: bv ()
Date: December 29, 2004 11:04

I think it was released as a 3 LP box in 1971 or so? I love it a lot. Just like the Bangla Desh album that came around the same time.

Bjornulf

Posted by: charlystone ()
Date: December 29, 2004 16:49

Again..
The best album of george: All thing must pass
Ringo: ----stardust?
Mcarntey: ram, red rose seepway, mcarntey, band on the run
Lennon: Rock and roll??

son la mejor banda del mundo, son un estilo de vida!!

Posted by: Odd-beat ()
Date: December 29, 2004 18:03

To bv: this triple LP set was released in December of 1970, on the trail of Lennon's, Starr's and McCartney's 1st solo post-Beatles LPs, for the price of a double LP (that is around 10 US$!) and was a smash-hit million seller.
I have always loved it. I still even tolerate (after all the airwave overkill) the preachy hits! But I am very fond of the darker colored, rich chords and melodies of the hidden gems like Let it Roll, Ballad of Sir Frankie Crisp, the opening co-Dylan one, and that other beautiful one I don't recall the title of that was addressed at Pattie Boyd ("No one around you, will carry the blame for you...").
All solo Beatles stuff from around just when they splitted, IMHO, is superior to all that comes even the year after. As it happened, it is often material that was actually written and worked out during the last Beatles years.
I even sort of enjoy Ringo's country one!!

Posted by: LOGIE ()
Date: December 29, 2004 18:37

Superb album. A timeless classic if ever there was one. Check out the bootleg accoustic versions if you can. Equally brilliant.

Posted by: Woody24 ()
Date: December 29, 2004 18:41

This album is fantastic. I truely beleive it is the best solo work of any of the fab four.

BV- You're right. This was a 3 LP release. I was just looking a t the original 33 release at my brother's house over Christmas.

"Take all the pain...It's yours anyway"

Posted by: R ()
Date: December 29, 2004 19:06

The best Beatles solo album, period. Unfortunately he ran out of gas after ATMP.

Posted by: masseolle ()
Date: December 29, 2004 21:34

It is in my humble opinion the only worthwhile album he ever did. Most of the others are pure crap! Even some of McCartneys are better!

Posted by: GOO ()
Date: May 14, 2014 13:50

Just listened to this..... Not that great

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: May 14, 2014 13:53

You're ten years late, GOO.

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: May 14, 2014 14:29

Cool with a 3-LP-Box at that time, and then the follower The Concert for Bangla Desh also a triple-album...George were the King 1970-71...

2 1 2 0

Posted by: GOO ()
Date: May 14, 2014 14:35

The out takes were cool... I think bobby keys plays on one instrumental

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: May 14, 2014 14:41

Jim Gordon
Carl Radle
Bobby Whitlock
Eric Clapton
Gary Wright
George Harrison
Jim Price
Bobby Keys
Al Aronowitz

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-05-14 14:42 by tatters.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: May 14, 2014 14:44

Fantastic album by any standard, and one of the few albums where the extended remaster is even better than the original.

This 1969 - 1972 period with all these musicians from Delaney & Bonnie, Derek & The Dominoes, Joe Cockers Mad Dogs and Englishmen, Leon Russel, is just fantastic. All musicians where in their prime, before the drugs really kicked in. It might be the best ever period in music in my opinion.

Mathijs

Posted by: Captainchaos ()
Date: May 14, 2014 15:21

I remember reading somewhere that there is a mix of the album that isn't as 'spectorised'if that makes sense. it was along the lines of spector did a mix, then went away or something like that and while he wasn't there Harrison went and added shitloads of extra production on it, the result ending up as miles more overblown than spector had intended?

might be wrong on the circumstances and details but is there a mix of the album or some of the songs where the production isnt quite as 'big/spector like' i'd love to hear this

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: May 14, 2014 15:28

Possibly the greatest of all the solo albums by members of The Beatles. Well either that or Ringo's latest! >grinning smiley<

Date: May 14, 2014 15:31

Great, great album. Had he peeled off a couple of songs it would perhaps be one of the best of all time, imo.

Posted by: Bastion ()
Date: May 14, 2014 15:37

Absolutely fantastic album. Harrison's slide work on Isn't a Pity is better than any solo he did with The Beatles imo.

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: May 14, 2014 15:56

An amazing artistic statement. And my favorite Beatle solo album. And yes, the wall of sound is over the top, and I wish Harrison would have stuck to his guns and toned it down. Apparently, when he heard the finished mix he was devastated. He hated all the echo, and asked for it to be redone, but Specter was able to talk him into it. ON the rerelease he commented how he was tempted to go back and remix the entire album, but he didn't. Instead he mad the terrible redo of My Sweet Lord and changed the cover to color! Which really ruined the atmosphere of the original. The original album was recently re-release on 180 gram vinyl and it is stunning. The original was three records with the lyrics on the inner sleeves. And the epic large poster of George in dark cloths, long hippy hair, and a stunning Gandolf beard. Was a creepy poster, and it hung above my bed for years.
The album is such a majestic statement of freedom for the quiet Beatle. His vocals are stunning, especially when you realize he was the "George O'harra singers" he painstakingly added multiple harmonies sounding angelic. His playing and the sidemen on the album is sublime. The peddle steel on Behind that Locked Door is one of the best recorded period, and is later echoed on Torn and Frayed. Lots of Stones connections, and I am sure Keith and Mick listened to it a lot. There are several bootlegs of ATMP that are pre final mix, so not big wall of sound and no overdubs. Many of the songs, such as Hear Me Lord were much longer. And check out the version of Awaiting on You All off of Early Takes is a revelation. Such fantastic guitar from George, sounding like Plastic Ono Band. Several other songs on Early Takes are just him on acoustic, and are a wonderful glimpse into George's talent. I hope they do eventually release an alternate version of the album of all demos and pre-mastered versions. That being said. The atmosphere of ATMP is mystical, a low dew fog mingling among the leaves of a dense forest, with a gentle brook flowing toward the sunrise. Stunning.

Posted by: rebelrebel ()
Date: May 14, 2014 15:59

Love it. Thanks for reminding me to give it another listen - it's been a while.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1676
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home