Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: All things must pass
Posted by: Captainchaos ()
Date: May 14, 2014 16:04

whitem8
An amazing artistic statement. And my favorite Beatle solo album. And yes, the wall of sound is over the top, and I wish Harrison would have stuck to his guns and toned it down. Apparently, when he heard the finished mix he was devastated. He hated all the echo, and asked for it to be redone, but Specter was able to talk him into it. ON the rerelease he commented how he was tempted to go back and remix the entire album, but he didn't. Instead he mad the terrible redo of My Sweet Lord and changed the cover to color! Which really ruined the atmosphere of the original. The original album was recently re-release on 180 gram vinyl and it is stunning. The original was three records with the lyrics on the inner sleeves. And the epic large poster of George in dark cloths, long hippy hair, and a stunning Gandolf beard. Was a creepy poster, and it hung above my bed for years.
The album is such a majestic statement of freedom for the quiet Beatle. His vocals are stunning, especially when you realize he was the "George O'harra singers" he painstakingly added multiple harmonies sounding angelic. His playing and the sidemen on the album is sublime. The peddle steel on Behind that Locked Door is one of the best recorded period, and is later echoed on Torn and Frayed. Lots of Stones connections, and I am sure Keith and Mick listened to it a lot. There are several bootlegs of ATMP that are pre final mix, so not big wall of sound and no overdubs. Many of the songs, such as Hear Me Lord were much longer. And check out the version of Awaiting on You All off of Early Takes is a revelation. Such fantastic guitar from George, sounding like Plastic Ono Band. Several other songs on Early Takes are just him on acoustic, and are a wonderful glimpse into George's talent. I hope they do eventually release an alternate version of the album of all demos and pre-mastered versions. That being said. The atmosphere of ATMP is mystical, a low dew fog mingling among the leaves of a dense forest, with a gentle brook flowing toward the sunrise. Stunning.

whats the best premastered boot to find? I've got some early sketches but not any premastered fleshed out. any help would be greatly appreciated!

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: May 14, 2014 16:04

Highly recommended: The "Beware of Abkco" bootleg. Early demo versions of many of the songs on ATMP. It's the antithesis of Spector's Wall Of Sound.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-05-14 16:08 by tatters.

Re: OT: Georg Harisson - All things must pass
Posted by: rbk ()
Date: May 14, 2014 16:16

The best ever solo album by any Beatle. Sadly, he shot his wad on All Things Must Pass and never came close to it again.

Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: May 14, 2014 18:11

I echo what's stated above: I've always thought much of it to have too muddy and noisy and unsubtle a sound. (Which is my same complaint regarding what Spector did to John Lennon's Rock N Roll album, that I've ended up ignoring other than Stand by Me.) I wish George had stripped Pass down for the reissue, as he'd considered.

For example I much much prefer George's Early Takes Vol I (2012) version of RUN OF THE MILL versus Pass's version.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2014-05-14 18:21 by Title5Take1.

Posted by: Sighunt ()
Date: May 14, 2014 19:20

All Things Must Pass (along with Lennon's first two solo albums) is arguably the strongest solo effort after the split. I still have the 3 album set in my house somewhere. IMHO, George's version of "If Not For You" best Dylan's version of that tune.

Posted by: pmk251 ()
Date: May 14, 2014 19:27

I read somewhere that if you wanted the next Beatles album just put together tracks from each of their solo albums. The point being that at the end that was pretty much how they were recording. I played around with the idea, but did not think it worked. The styles clashed and there was not that much I wanted off Paul's record. John's POB is one of the greatest albums ever released. It is a testament to pain, disillusionment and the redemptive power of art and love. It has some tasty guitar work as well. Few albums in history pack its emotional power or match its raw beauty.

Posted by: reg thorpe ()
Date: May 14, 2014 19:45

wah wah

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: May 14, 2014 19:49

rbk
The best ever solo album by any Beatle. Sadly, he shot his wad on All Things Must Pass and never came close to it again.

Hmm...I think Plastic Ono Band is a better album and John had the confidence to keep Spector in check. That said, ATMP is certainly George's best, and contains some stunning songs.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: May 14, 2014 20:18

pmk251
John's POB is one of the greatest albums ever released. It is a testament to pain, disillusionment and the redemptive power of art and love. It has some tasty guitar work as well. Few albums in history pack its emotional power or match its raw beauty.

thumbs up

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: May 14, 2014 21:10

Well said pmk251. I used to half jokingly call POB the manifesto to life. This and George's ATMP were definitely the highlight of solo Beatles. For Paul I liked Ram the best. Kind of funny Paul never made anything as good as John and George since he was the main song writer of The Beatles. Never really gave that much thought before. Hmm.

Posted by: triceratops ()
Date: May 14, 2014 21:42

It stood out for being (one of the?) the first triple albums. That era had lots of double albums. Plus the production was very lavish with lots of instrumentation and over dubs. Horn section, Girl chorus. Double tracking of Harrison's vocals. At least that's how it sounds to me

Posted by: tomk ()
Date: May 14, 2014 22:53

I think Living In The Material World is a fine album.
Wonderful guitar playing.
I think it needs to be remixed/remasterd to give it a some more oomph (if it hasn't been already).

However, I have been groovin' to Apple Jam from ATMP.
Great to listen to while driving.

Posted by: bv ()
Date: May 14, 2014 23:09

PLEASE DO NOT WAKE UP OLD SLEEPING THREADS. IT IS CONFUSING AND A BAD HABIT. THIS ONE IS FROM 2004...

Bjornulf

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1786
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home