Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4
Re: OT: The Who's Opening Night Concert "Too Loud" (Townshend Walks Off And Refuses To Return)
Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: November 6, 2012 02:21

tatters
Pete walks off at 3:54

Roger gamely soldiers on, though I hope this isn't a preview of some future version of the Who in which Roger is the only original member.

How bad things can go wrong never leave till the end...............I'm done with Mr. P. Tumbsdownshands

Re: OT: The Who's Opening Night Concert "Too Loud" (Townshend Walks Off And Refuses To Return)
Date: November 6, 2012 02:40

"WHO" cares

Posted by: stonesnow ()
Date: November 6, 2012 03:00

21stcenturystones
"WHO" cares

The World Health Organization (WHO) cares? That's good to know. That's the WHO for you, keeping on the lookout for disease outbreak and overseeing other health-related topics so that we can attend Who concerts in comfort and safety.

www.who.int/

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-11-06 03:19 by stonesnow.

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: November 6, 2012 08:08

Stunningly good version!

Roger is in fine form! As is Pete!

Date: November 6, 2012 08:34

NICOS
tatters

Roger gamely soldiers on, though I hope this isn't a preview of some future version of the Who in which Roger is the only original member.

How bad things can go wrong never leave till the end...............I'm done with Mr. P. Tumbsdownshands

Pete was just having a bad night, which did not repeat itself in the next show. Just a few years ago, it was Roger who had to leave the stage [on the Endless Wire tour when everyone thought Daltrey's days as a singer were all but over]--be forewarned, this is painful to watch....

Below is a news clip detailing the laser surgery that restored Roger's voice.

Date: November 6, 2012 12:13

thumbs up

Date: November 6, 2012 12:25

stonesnow
NICOS
tatters

Pete was just having a bad night, which did not repeat itself in the next show. Just a few years ago, it was Roger who had to leave the stage [on the Endless Wire tour when everyone thought Daltrey's days as a singer were all but over]--be forewarned, this is painful to watch....

Below is a news clip detailing the laser surgery that restored Roger's voice.

Roger wasn't very professional in that Behind Blue Eyes-clip. For Christ sake, the audience was just about to sing the song for him - AFTER the song he could have called it off thumbs down

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: November 6, 2012 14:27

Detroit 2008. This is the last song from the opening night concert of their last tour. I was there and I swore I'd never see them again after this.

Date: November 6, 2012 15:22

Yeah that would have been really sad. That show about how Roger got his voice back is fantastic, I had never seen it before, and it was great. I would have been very depressed if I had seen that 2008 show in Detroit. Yet, like The Who has done so many times before, they rise like a Phoenix, and sound fantastic on the Quadrophenia clips that folks have been posting. I really wish I could be in North America for that tour. You folks are lucky as hell.

Posted by: Honestman ()
Date: November 6, 2012 15:42

...Townshend Walks Off And Refuses To Return

Another one who don't give a shit about the fans who were there. Pathetic !
...but hats off to Roger who ended the song very well.

HMN

Date: November 6, 2012 16:41

whitem8
Yeah that would have been really sad. That show about how Roger got his voice back is fantastic, I had never seen it before, and it was great. I would have been very depressed if I had seen that 2008 show in Detroit. Yet, like The Who has done so many times before, they rise like a Phoenix, and sound fantastic on the Quadrophenia clips that folks have been posting. I really wish I could be in North America for that tour. You folks are lucky as hell.

He actually sounded pretty good until the last two songs. I think he blew it out on the big scream at the end of Won't Get Fooled Again. His whole body seemed to go limp and he gave Townshend a look as if to say, "That's it. That's all I got tonight." Funny thing, though. His sounding like Tom Waits on Tea And Theatre actually gives the song added poignancy. Watching the video now, it seems like a truly heroic effort, not nearly the grotesque death rattle I remember.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-11-06 16:47 by tatters.

Posted by: Duane in Houston ()
Date: November 7, 2012 23:10

So ...... what? ........ nobody wants to be my Spirit Guide for procurring tickets?

Date: November 15, 2012 06:04

So, has anyone seen this tour yet? (They're playing The Barclays Center in Brooklyn as I write this.) I'd be curious to know what you thought of it.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2012-11-15 06:07 by tatters.

Date: November 15, 2012 06:10

tatters
So, has anyone seen this tour yet? (They're playing The Barclays Center in Brooklyn as I write this.) I'd be curious to know what you thought of it.

I'm going to the Boston show on Friday, so I'll post here almost exactly 48 hours from now.

Re: OT: Anyone Seen The Who Tour?
Date: November 15, 2012 16:06

Re: OT: Anyone Seen The Who Tour?
Date: November 15, 2012 16:07

Washington DC. I see a lot of empty seats at the end of this video.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2012-11-15 16:09 by tatters.

Re: OT: Anyone Seen The Who's 2012 Tour?
Posted by: R ()
Date: November 15, 2012 16:52

I am listening to the Orlando as I write this. OMFG!

Daltrey had some treatment on his vocal cords a year or so ago and it worked. He sounds like he used to and the band is hell-bent for election. They appear to have real horn players and video cameos from Entwhistle and Moonie.

I'm going to Detroit next week and now I'm really pumped!

Date: November 15, 2012 17:03

R
I am listening to the Orlando as I write this. OMFG!

Daltrey had some treatment on his vocal cords a year or so ago and it worked. He sounds like he used to and the band is hell-bent for election. They appear to have real horn players and video cameos from Entwhistle and Moonie.

I'm going to Detroit next week and now I'm really pumped!

I'm still thinking about picking up a couple of cheap ($50) seats for Detroit. It's their first show downtown since they played the Masonic in '79. Before that, you have to go all the way back to Cobo '73 for the last Who concert within the Detroit city limits. I think it's pretty close to being sold out, but only because they're not selling any seats behind, or even on the sides, of the stage, so what they've basically done is transformed the 20,000 seat Joe Louis Arena into a 12,000 seat theatre, something much closer to what seeing them at Cobo would be like.

Not sure about the horn players. I think what they've got is three keyboard players, one of whom is Chris Stainton, who actually played on the original Quadrophenia album.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2012-11-15 17:20 by tatters.

Date: November 18, 2012 23:13

tatters

Saw The Who show November 16 in Boston. Great show! Get a ticket if you still can. The starting time on the ticket was 7:30 p.m., and The Who took the stage at exactly 8:30. The opening act was a lean, tight American soul outfit called Vintage Trouble--just drums, a lead singer, a Fender bass, and a Gibson Les Paul guitar. Considering the Mod theme of the Quadrophenia show, having a soul band open up seemed fittingly appropriate.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vintage_trouble

Before The Who came on, one of the people in the row next to me struck up a conversation with one of the people in the row behind me, having told his girlfriend that he'd never seen The Who live. "You never saw them?" the man in the row behind said. "I saw them here in 1976. You'll like it, it'll be a great show."
What the man in the row behind didn't mention was that this had apparently been an aborted show, as Townshend mentions on page 288 of Who I Am: "During the second leg of our Who By Numbers US tour, in Boston on 9 March 1976, Keith collapsed after two songs. Our fans reacted badly, and smashed part of the building and some subway trains."

This same fan from 1976, along with his several friends there, seemed to enjoy the 2012 show, however, as right from the start of the waves rolling in on I Am The Sea there was a wafting of ganja smoke that seemed to be emanating from that row of fans. I've never thought of Quadrophenia as a pot album, but this row of 70s veterans seemed to think so, as they were lighting up throughout the show.

During the Quadrophenia overture, Townshend seemed to be having monitor troubles, and I was worried that he might walk off as he did on the first show of the tour. But whereas the trouble there seemed to be with monitors being too loud, it seemed at this show they weren't loud enough. Mid-way through the track Townshend glanced offstage pointing down to the stage monitor, then a few seconds later turned to point back at one of his guitar amps. Eventually, Bob Pridden walked onstage to hand Pete another red Strat. After plugging in, this guitar could be heard to be crisper and louder. Simon Townshend capably handled the lead parts in the first part of the overture with a red Gibson SG standard, sounding exactly like the studio album. Pete took the lead toward the end of the overture playing the Love Reign O'er Me melody, but having to tune his guitar as he played.

Simon Townshend took the lead vocal on The Dirty Jobs, sounding quite a bit like his brother and therefore more like the demo rather than the studio album, with Roger harmonizing. Roger and Pete did a back-and-forth duet on Helpless Dancer. Pete took the lead vocal on Drowned, and removed his shades for the first time during the show, at which point the audience cheered, during the "I am not the actor..." break in the song, but after appearing to squint into the stage lights promptly put his shades back on and wouldn't remove them again until Love Reign O'er Me.

John Entwistle appeared via tape from the 2000 Royal Albert Hall show for a bass solo with only Zak Starkey playing along. The transition was seamless and the volume of the solo made it seem as if he were right there on the stage playing, though the audience did not respond much, unlike for the Keith Moon vocal bit in Bell Boy, which got an even bigger round of applause from the audience than did even Pete's windmilling. Even the Keith Moon memorial plaque with life dates shown during the film montage of The Rock got a round of applause. It's clear that Keith Moon is the most popular member of The Who among fans. Though the film of Keith was from a live concert, the vocal track itself seemed to be lifted directly from the studio album. Still, it was a surreal moment. You think, wow, it's the real Who. However, it must be said that Zak Starkey's precision power drumming is ideal for Quadrophenia, as on the studio album Moon played with more restraint and precision rather than for decoration. Note during Keith's part on Bell Boy how Roger stands looking up at the video screen, arms open wide. He also turns up to sing at the screen as well, seeming to take some inspiration from the moment.

Pete several times during the show kept motioning offstage to have his mic turned up and had to change guitars again during Dr. Jimmy. The one distraction in the show was the video montage behind The Rock which was a 40-year time span of largely political images from Nixon and Vietnam to a "Free Pussy Riot" slogan toward the end, closing finally with sea waves pounding onto rocks on shore. As always, it was a treat to hear live the album closer Love Reign O'er Me, because Townshend never plays it the same way twice, and given the hundreds of live treatments over the years it speaks volumes of the meaning and importance it holds for the composer.

It's surprising not hearing Pete making long speeches in between songs. His first words to the audience were for the band introductions after the main set, and then the 10-piece band was stripped down to its standard six-piece for the encore set. He spoke again at length when the band left the stage after Won't Get Fooled Again leaving he and Roger for the final encore, the latter day concert staple Tea and Theare:

Who Are You
Behind Blue Eyes
Pinball Wizard
Baba O'Riley
Won't Get Fooled Again
Tea and Theatre

It was a full house--there was just a couple patches of two or three rows of 50 or so empty seats in one part of the very upper tier. If you can still get a ticket for the Detroit show, it is highly recommended, because who knows if they'll ever tour this album again....

Date: November 19, 2012 00:18

Thank you for going to the trouble of posting all of that. I probably won't be making it to the show, but my curiosity's definitely been satisfied.

Posted by: 1cdog ()
Date: November 19, 2012 02:49

The DC show was only about 2/3 full. Lots of empty seats.

Posted by: gmanp ()
Date: November 19, 2012 05:25

Gonna see'em in Nashville on 12/02.
First time for me to see them, and first time for them
in Nashville (I believe)
Looking forward to it smiling smiley

Posted by: Slimharpo ()
Date: November 19, 2012 05:37

I saw them at TD Garden in Boston on the 16th. Great show. There seemed to be some technical problems and consufion during "Won't Get Fooled Again." Pete took over the vocals at one point. It seemed Roger's Microphone was experiencing technical difficulties.

The opening act Vintage trouble was an interesting. Think James Brown backed up by Led Zepplin.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-11-19 05:50 by Slimharpo.

Posted by: ab ()
Date: November 19, 2012 05:47

1cdog

I went to the DC show. My guess is that there were about 12,000 people there in an arena that holds about 18,000 for concerts when there's no behind stage seating. So 2/3 full sounds about right, but the empty seats were in the rafters, from which no one should have to watch a rock show!

Re: OT: Who Tour Starts Tomorrow; Sneak Peak Of New Stage
Posted by: trainarollin ()
Date: November 19, 2012 06:15

Closer to show date, the unsold packages will be released at normal box office prices and you will not have to buy them in pairs.

Date: November 19, 2012 06:18

My friend filmed this last Sunday.

Advance to the 5 min mark.

Date: November 19, 2012 06:31

trainarollin
My friend filmed this last Sunday.

Advance to the 5 min mark.

You mean when Roger spits after the guitar break? He did that at the Boston show this past Friday as well. Check it out at 7:05 of the clip I posted above (The Rock/Love Reign O'er Me). So you should be expecting this at the show you attend as well.

Date: November 19, 2012 07:52

ab
1cdog

I went to the DC show. My guess is that there were about 12,000 people there in an arena that holds about 18,000 for concerts when there's no behind stage seating. So 2/3 full sounds about right, but the empty seats were in the rafters, from which no one should have to watch a rock show!
if those were the $50 seats i gladly would have gone

Date: November 19, 2012 08:15

I think the tour promoter AEG scared off the casual fan by initally selling the really good floor and side seats in pairs as part of VIP packaging. Not sure what the market indicators were that they decided to take this on the road. I enjoyed it, but it just seemed odd that they went out on the road with zero anticipation or rumors.

Posted by: 1cdog ()
Date: November 19, 2012 16:32

ab
1cdog

Agreed with that. If I had to sit in those nose bleed seats I would just stay home.

I attended the last WHO show in DC and Roger was having the voice issues that I think led to the next nights show in Tampa being cancelled. Anyway, I thought that show was "off" and my guess is that if you attended that show you would have had second thoughts about attending last weeks show.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2507
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home