Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Bon Jovi Ticket Prices
Posted by: Happy24 ()
Date: October 31, 2012 13:13

Gazza
stargroover
Hardly in the same league

That's not the point. Treating their fans with respect is. To THEIR fans they ARE in the same league - and higher. Greatness is a matter of taste. Would you expect someone who likes Bon Jovi and doesnt like the Stones to argue that a band they have no interest in seeing SHOULD cost at least ten times as much for a concert ticket?

As much as I cant stand them, credit to them for catering for their fans. Whilst im sure this £12.50 ticket price only marks a tiny % and no doubt they do some higher priced packages as well, its good to see a major act resisting the urge to gouge their fanbase to earn money they'll never spend.

I really dont get the mentality of some Stones fans that would suggest its some kind of badge of honour for the band to be able to charge as much as they can possibly get away with for very little.

It is always nice to read a post from someone, who can discuss things in an unprejudiced way. Everyone here knows that Gazza is not a BJ fan, but the exact opposite. Yet, when it comes to commenting this article, he doesn't need to take it as an opportunity to bash them just for the sake of it.

I have never been to a BJ concert, but I know that their good tickets (FOS) are also very expensive, yet nowhere near £400. Maybe there will be just a very few of those £12.50 tickets and they surely will be the worst ones, but what is important is (I think) that some major rock stars (yes, they are, whether we like them or not) are reacting to those RS ticket prices.

The logic of some peole, who claim that it is absoulutely okay if The Rolling Stones charge £400 for FOS tickets, because they are better than Bon Jovi or because "a rolls royce is always more expensive as a beetle", is seriously twisted.

If someone pays £400 for a rock concert ticket, because he has money to burn, that's fine by me, there is nothing wrong with being wealthy (if one has earned the money, but let's not get to that), but some people here suggest that it is perfectly okay to charge that money, because they can afford to pay that. That is stupid beyond stupid and snobbish beoyond any words.

Posted by: LastStopThisTown ()
Date: October 31, 2012 19:28

Happy24
Gazza
stargroover
Hardly in the same league

That's not the point. Treating their fans with respect is. To THEIR fans they ARE in the same league - and higher. Greatness is a matter of taste. Would you expect someone who likes Bon Jovi and doesnt like the Stones to argue that a band they have no interest in seeing SHOULD cost at least ten times as much for a concert ticket?

As much as I cant stand them, credit to them for catering for their fans. Whilst im sure this £12.50 ticket price only marks a tiny % and no doubt they do some higher priced packages as well, its good to see a major act resisting the urge to gouge their fanbase to earn money they'll never spend.

I really dont get the mentality of some Stones fans that would suggest its some kind of badge of honour for the band to be able to charge as much as they can possibly get away with for very little.

It is always nice to read a post from someone, who can discuss things in an unprejudiced way. Everyone here knows that Gazza is not a BJ fan, but the exact opposite. Yet, when it comes to commenting this article, he doesn't need to take it as an opportunity to bash them just for the sake of it.

I have never been to a BJ concert, but I know that their good tickets (FOS) are also very expensive, yet nowhere near £400. Maybe there will be just a very few of those £12.50 tickets and they surely will be the worst ones, but what is important is (I think) that some major rock stars (yes, they are, whether we like them or not) are reacting to those RS ticket prices.

The logic of some peole, who claim that it is absoulutely okay if The Rolling Stones charge £400 for FOS tickets, because they are better than Bon Jovi or because "a rolls royce is always more expensive as a beetle", is seriously twisted.

If someone pays £400 for a rock concert ticket, because he has money to burn, that's fine by me, there is nothing wrong with being wealthy (if one has earned the money, but let's not get to that), but some people here suggest that it is perfectly okay to charge that money, because they can afford to pay that. That is stupid beyond stupid and snobbish beoyond any words.

£400 for a BJ concert... man, on one level or another that would suck. (grabs coat and walks out the door)

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: October 31, 2012 19:37

Paying £400 or $400.00 for ANY concert sucks, unless it is for a primo ticket, up front.

Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: October 31, 2012 22:30

TomGreen
This is a publicity stunt.

Good. I hope it works and spreads far and wide.

[thepowergoats.com]

Posted by: TomGreen ()
Date: November 1, 2012 03:29

They are playing huge open air stadiums which they cannot ordinarily fiull in Britain anymore. The £12.50 seats will be right at the back which would be otherwise empty. The Stones would do this if they couldn't fill those size venues - which they probably couldn't quite now based on ABB.

Posted by: trainarollin ()
Date: November 1, 2012 05:13

It's smoke & mirrors. Good luck trying to find the cheap tickets when the go on sale.

Their VIP packages do not include any sort of M&G, the packages are actually insulting. Over $1,000 for a ticket and you can have your picture taken with his mic stand, some swag, take the chair home and you can listen to roadies tell stories. No joke.

Their mentality is that middle-age women who want to re-live their youth will buy the package with a friend, put it on their credit card. It's a girls night out.

Posted by: andy js ()
Date: November 1, 2012 16:34

Like the mythical £106 Stones tickets, these £12.50 seats are few and far between and horrendous back upper tier of stadium roofs

BJ are worse than the Stones in many ways. £150 to stand in a 'golden circle' to see a bunch of middle of the road twats ?

No thanks. At least the Stones have a RNR legacy to point to when it comes to their pricing, however obscene it is

I bet there's a few middle aged mothers counting out their spare pennies for Jovi tickets none the less

Posted by: debee1015 ()
Date: November 2, 2012 03:45

I have been lurking here for awhile and joined because I needed to respond to this thread.

I have been a Bon Jovi fan since I was 10, that was 1986 and I was born and raised in New Jersey (don't hold it against me please).

I have seen Bon Jovi 17 times (saw Jon solo this summer which kinda makes it 18 since the record contract is in his name).

The article regarding the $12.50 tickets was kind of horrifying/sickening to me since it painted Bon Jovi in such a positive light. Bon Jovi is a corporation, Jon has for years called himself the CEO (since being a singer from NJ you can't call yourself the 'Chairman of the Board' without people calling you a total douchebag or worse), and doesn't do anything for their fans. There are no M&G's with fan club packages. You get a bunch of chotchkies that the day after the concert you can buy on e-bay for less than $50.

I went to the show in Atlanta in 2011 (when Richie Sambora was in detox because rehab is for quitters and Richie ain't no quitter) and we sat 6 rows from the stage in the pit. For this "privilege" we paid $500 a ticket. This was without any sort of VIP package. I asked my friend if she was crazy, $500 for a ticket, neither one of us lives in Atlanta so it meant travel and hotel expenses too. I go because I truly love their music, not to stare at his butt or anything like that. Although since I am tall and his butt was right in front of me I couldn't help but stare (there's video of this in youtube as proof I'm ashamed to say).

It was a good show. Bon Jovi only does good to mediocre shows in the US anymore, exceptions being the shows in NJ and at the Mohegan Sun, they do rare songs and longer sets in Europe, where their most expensive stadium seat is under $200. In the US their pricing structure doesn't change and Pit tickets in a Stadium are as expensive as an arena.

I would be shocked to see the $12.50 tickets continue to the US. In fact I wouldn't be surprised if the $12.50 was only for Europe as Canadian ticket prices for 2013 were in excess of $800 per ticket through the fan club. Last tour these same seats were about $1000 for two tickets.

Someone I know went to a Jon Bon Jovi function this summer. She paid in excess of $1500 through the fan club (which the people who work for the fan club have not so privately called it the "Fat Club" lots of respect we as fans get from the people who work for the band) to see him play an acoustic set in a vineyard with like 150 other people. At this event you could buy large sized prints taken by the official tour photographer and Jon would sign it for you. She paid $900 for the print, she didn't meet Jon or have her pictures taken with him. The print was brought out to her 3 hours later and she was told for an additional $50 she could have a picture of Jon signing her print.

I thought doesn't he have enough money? $50 so you have proof he signed it. He doesn't give a lot to his "charitable" foundation (which people get mad at me when I point out is nothing but a tax deduction for him, just like his bee keeping operation). I also wanted to slap/beat this girl senseless, you're the reason why these ticket prices are ridiculous.

So this may be my first and last post. But I empathize with you on ticket prices. And it sucks because people who genuinely love the artist and the music are getting shut out by people who are willing to spend ridiculous amounts of money for the novelty and the experience. And then they don't even know the songs. I don't get it why would an artist want someone to stand (or sit I've seen this happen) center stage and not know any (or many) of their songs.

Thanks for your time.

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: November 2, 2012 04:11

debee1015
I have been lurking here for awhile and joined because I needed to respond to this thread.

I have been a Bon Jovi fan since I was 10, that was 1986 and I was born and raised in New Jersey (don't hold it against me please).

I have seen Bon Jovi 17 times (saw Jon solo this summer which kinda makes it 18 since the record contract is in his name).

The article regarding the $12.50 tickets was kind of horrifying/sickening to me since it painted Bon Jovi in such a positive light. Bon Jovi is a corporation, Jon has for years called himself the CEO (since being a singer from NJ you can't call yourself the 'Chairman of the Board' without people calling you a total douchebag or worse), and doesn't do anything for their fans. There are no M&G's with fan club packages. You get a bunch of chotchkies that the day after the concert you can buy on e-bay for less than $50.

I went to the show in Atlanta in 2011 (when Richie Sambora was in detox because rehab is for quitters and Richie ain't no quitter) and we sat 6 rows from the stage in the pit. For this "privilege" we paid $500 a ticket. This was without any sort of VIP package. I asked my friend if she was crazy, $500 for a ticket, neither one of us lives in Atlanta so it meant travel and hotel expenses too. I go because I truly love their music, not to stare at his butt or anything like that. Although since I am tall and his butt was right in front of me I couldn't help but stare (there's video of this in youtube as proof I'm ashamed to say).

It was a good show. Bon Jovi only does good to mediocre shows in the US anymore, exceptions being the shows in NJ and at the Mohegan Sun, they do rare songs and longer sets in Europe, where their most expensive stadium seat is under $200. In the US their pricing structure doesn't change and Pit tickets in a Stadium are as expensive as an arena.

I would be shocked to see the $12.50 tickets continue to the US. In fact I wouldn't be surprised if the $12.50 was only for Europe as Canadian ticket prices for 2013 were in excess of $800 per ticket through the fan club. Last tour these same seats were about $1000 for two tickets.

Someone I know went to a Jon Bon Jovi function this summer. She paid in excess of $1500 through the fan club (which the people who work for the fan club have not so privately called it the "Fat Club" lots of respect we as fans get from the people who work for the band) to see him play an acoustic set in a vineyard with like 150 other people. At this event you could buy large sized prints taken by the official tour photographer and Jon would sign it for you. She paid $900 for the print, she didn't meet Jon or have her pictures taken with him. The print was brought out to her 3 hours later and she was told for an additional $50 she could have a picture of Jon signing her print.

I thought doesn't he have enough money? $50 so you have proof he signed it. He doesn't give a lot to his "charitable" foundation (which people get mad at me when I point out is nothing but a tax deduction for him, just like his bee keeping operation). I also wanted to slap/beat this girl senseless, you're the reason why these ticket prices are ridiculous.

So this may be my first and last post. But I empathize with you on ticket prices. And it sucks because people who genuinely love the artist and the music are getting shut out by people who are willing to spend ridiculous amounts of money for the novelty and the experience. And then they don't even know the songs. I don't get it why would an artist want someone to stand (or sit I've seen this happen) center stage and not know any (or many) of their songs.

Thanks for your time.

Thanks for taking time to post... its always interesting to read what someone who has followed a band closely for years has to say about it, be it good or bad. Nice work.

Date: November 2, 2012 09:58

TomGreen
They are playing huge open air stadiums which they cannot ordinarily fiull in Britain anymore. The £12.50 seats will be right at the back which would be otherwise empty. The Stones would do this if they couldn't fill those size venues - which they probably couldn't quite now based on ABB.

The Stones certainly didn't do it during the ABB tour. I went to Berlin in 2006 without a ticket. I bougt a ticket in an official box-office, where thay said they only had a couple of tickets in the section up there under the roof. After going around the stadium for quite some time and realizing that only a few people were selling their tickets and that was either pretty much the same deal as in the box-office or some ridiculously priced, I bought one in the box office. Under the roof of the 80.000 Olympic stadium. For 130 Euro! Half of the the whole top sector was in fact completely empty. Thousands and thousnads of seats.

It was the worst seat I ever had at any concert, yet strangely it was one of the best concerts I have attended. I would never believe I could have such a great time so far away from the stage.

That being said, I would never want to be that far away again :-) The FOS is pretty much the only thing I take :-)

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2012-11-02 10:00 by Happy24.

Posted by: straycatuk ()
Date: November 2, 2012 11:52

Max'sKansasCity
debee1015

Thanks for your time.

Thanks for taking time to post... its always interesting to read what someone who has followed a band closely for years has to say about it, be it good or bad. Nice work.

Very interesting post . My wife has been a Bon Jovi fan since before I met her, which is along long time ago. When Tokyo road was out - 1985 ? Living in the UK we have not really experienced these sort of prices. I'd stopped going to shows years ago, but in 2011 after she was let down by friends, I gave in and bought us Golden circle in a cricket ground.To be honest, even though it never stopped raining, I actually enjoyed the show.Must have cost about £180 for the pair,which is the most I'd spent on anyone, except the Stones.
This morning I got golden circle for next summer for £230 a pair as a kind of xmas present for my wife. I can't see how they can justify a 28 % increase in 2 years, but that seems to be the trend with concert tickets.A true economic miracle in these recessionary times ! My whole sense of value seems to have collapsed when I'm hoping to score a pair of Stones tickets for a bargain £1000 ! !

sc uk

Date: November 2, 2012 13:32

Very nice post, debee1015, thank you.

Out of curiosity I have just checked the prices for the German stadiums for 2013. The very cheapest tickets are from 46,20 Euro in Berlin to 73 Euro in Stuttgart. Fore nosebleed seats at a stadium.

Untill the Stones revealed their prices for the "tour," I had thought that Bon Jovi had the most expensive tickes. Considering touring bands, I don't know much about Dion or Straisand playing Vegas :-).

The day before yesterday I was sort of nicely surprized by the posted article, but now it looks like either total BS, or they will probably release 50 of those £12.50 tickets for one show and make a huge publicity out of it. Maybe those lucky holders of those tickets will be allowed to listen to the concert directly from outside of the stadium or something. So after defending them a bit, I feel like throwing up a bit. Not that I care about Bon Jovi, so I will most likely swollow it :-)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-11-02 13:34 by Happy24.

Posted by: nick ()
Date: November 4, 2012 21:29

debee1015

Thanks for your time.

I like her!

Posted by: mickscarey ()
Date: November 5, 2012 19:21

comet
Not a fan of the music but I am a fan of their ticket prices:

[www.mirror.co.uk]

One difference. Bon Jovi SUCKS. So actually if they charge anything at all you are being ripped off. In fact they should pay the "fans" to come

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1747
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home