Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Don Kirshner's Rock Concert - Stones - Premiere
Posted by: hbwriter ()
Date: November 3, 2012 18:30

Did you know that the show started with this? I remember when the GHS videos ran - a huge deal in our middle school- but i thought the show had been on for years - had no clue the Stones were the premiere episode

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-11-03 18:31 by hbwriter.

Re: Don Kirshner's Rock Concert - Stones - Premiere
Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: November 3, 2012 19:03

HB on a roll!

That version of Silver Train is the Stones at their very best!

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: November 3, 2012 19:30

Yeah, I remember that was the premiere episode, and I believe they ran Mr. D first, followed by Silver Train and finishing with Angie.

A couple of years later I saw that footage, plus the alternate take of Angie (with Taylor miming piano ) playing off one of those huge U-Matic tape decks that someone had set up at a record store on 2nd Street in Long Beach called Jeremiah McCain's.

That was pre-Betamax, and home video was very very rare at that point. It was a big deal.

But the syndicated Rock Concert show came on the air after ABC's In Concert and NBC's Midnight Special, (which started as a "get out the youth vote" special in '72 ) so you're probably thinking of either of those when you say you thought it had been on for years

Posted by: scottkeef ()
Date: November 3, 2012 19:37

Yeah, I watched the premier as a 16 yr old Stones fanatic..both versions of Angie were shown on the premier show too.

Posted by: tomk ()
Date: November 3, 2012 19:44

My recollection is they showed Angie twice, at the beginning and again at the end.
It was the single, after all. These promos and GHS are what turned me onto the band.

Date: November 3, 2012 19:46

loog droog
Yeah, I remember that was the premiere episode, and I believe they ran Mr. D first, followed by Silver Train and finishing with Angie.

A couple of years later I saw that footage, plus the alternate take of Angie (with Taylor miming piano ) playing off one of those huge U-Matic tape decks that someone had set up at a record store on 2nd Street in Long Beach called Jeremiah McCain's.

That was pre-Betamax, and home video was very very rare at that point. It was a big deal.

But the syndicated Rock Concert show came on the air after ABC's In Concert and NBC's Midnight Special, (which started as a "get out the youth vote" special in '72 ) so you're probably thinking of either of those when you say you thought it had been on for years

right - i think you're right - but kirshner himself seemed familiar to me smiling smiley - so this is the Angie that played on the show - and thanks for the order - i'd forgotten smiling smiley

Date: November 4, 2012 17:52

tomk is correct..both versions of Angie ran on the premier show. One version at the first of the show, one at the end. It was a BIG thing for The Stones to be on US TV in 73.

[www.tv.com]

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2012-11-04 18:45 by scottkeef.

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: November 4, 2012 18:10

Silver Train FTW!!!!

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: TheDailyBuzzherd ()
Date: November 4, 2012 18:37

Good tunes but MAN Jagger in particular looks STOOPiD in that blue getup. Jeez ...

Date: November 4, 2012 18:46

The order:The Rolling Stones (from London) - "Angie" (video #1), "Silver Train," "Dancing with Mr. D" and "Angie" (video #2). They were pushing Angie because after all in 73 AM radio was still a huge market and singles were promoted heavily.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: November 4, 2012 19:08

Very, very cool. Thanks for this post hb. Any videos or photo's around showing the making of the Goat's Head Soup record? peace

Posted by: slew ()
Date: November 4, 2012 22:15

Mick Taylor with blue eyeshadow looks great!!! NOT!! Great clips though especially Silver Train

Posted by: thkbeercan ()
Date: November 4, 2012 22:27

The ghost vocal, audible on the record, is still audible in this voice-over video clip....

Posted by: Bob C. ()
Date: November 4, 2012 22:58

SilverTrain has been rare in concert, I have never seen them do it. I remember Johnny Winter doing a good version.

Date: November 5, 2012 00:23

Naturalust
Very, very cool. Thanks for this post hb. Any videos or photo's around showing the making of the Goat's Head Soup record? peace

hey there man!

here are a come - tough to come by - but a few

[duane-vermouth0.blogspot.com]

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: November 5, 2012 02:24

People of a certain age should understand how exciting this was at the time. There was no MTV, no Internet, and television was still in the hands of a limited few networks. Current rock acts were seldom on American TV. I watched this live in my parents' room because they had a color TV. It was thrilling. What I still can't understand though, was the need for two "performances" of Angie - both to the same backing track.

Posted by: flacnvinyl ()
Date: November 5, 2012 02:40

I hate the miming. Complete junk, and totally unnecessary. Stupid stupid stupid.

Great to see them alive back then, and I can understand the experience of seeing them on TV, but really??? How is this different than seeing the Monkeys mime THEIR instruments? No reason for it at all.

@JumpingKentFlash - Your comment made me hold out hope that the Silver Train performance was live!!

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: November 5, 2012 02:47

I remember it as quite an event because as far as I know the Stones hadn't 'performed' on American Television since lip synching on Ed Sullivan in 1969. And the Stones were on top of the rock and roll world, coming off Exile and the '72 tour. It was a little strange to see Mick be so fem. I already knew about Bowie so I thought it was a bit of a nod to glam. The song was so beautiful (Angie) that it was in Beatle territory with Nicky's piano and all.

Date: November 5, 2012 03:05

It WAS a huge deal for someone as big as the Stones to be on US TV. They showed Gimme Shelter on PBS in the 70s(that was unusual too) and it had been since the 1969 Sullivan show that they had appeared live or"live on tape". I believe these to be live vocals over the tracks tho just like the Sullivan 69 show.Until we had In Concert (with that inovative FM simulcast- if you had a cassette deck that made for some great stuff) and Midnight Special we didnt get to see any rock acts. In 1974/75 Midnight Special would show excerpts from Ladies & Gentlemen and that also was a big deal! What I mean about the "live" vocals are that just like in 69 you can hear that strange "echo" like they are doubletracked or something...maybe that doesnt make sense...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-11-05 03:10 by scottkeef.

Posted by: tomk ()
Date: November 5, 2012 07:45

My mind may be fuzzy (it's been almost 30 years) but I seem to remember that the GHS and IORR promo films shown on Don Kirchner were packaged as a Stones special, at least in the LA market where I grew up. Meaning in 1973 "here's the Stones promos from their new album GHS," and in 1974 "here's their new promo films from their IORR album."
I remember seeing them in an early evening show, not late at night.
As for doing Angie twice, it was their single at the time. Good marketing move, actually. And it's true, this was pre-MTV, pre-VCR. Unless they reran it a few months later, you had to grasp it right there and then, just like any other TV show.

Date: November 5, 2012 10:20

The Dancing With Mr. D-backing track is somewhat different to the studio version, at least Keith's guitar is.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: November 5, 2012 14:06

hbwriter
Naturalust

hey there man!

Hey much thanks for that link hb, I appreciate it. More than I have ever been able to find. That studio was obviously no Olympic Sound.

Of course I had no idea the Stones were ever on Don Kirshner. It would be cool if they would do something like Austin City Limits, concentrate more on the music in the show rather than the theater, but I'm not holding my breath. peace peace

Posted by: rollmops ()
Date: November 5, 2012 14:24

On that version of "Angie" if one pays attention we can ear Jagger wispering the words of that song in the background while he sings lead vocal on the main track. It's very low, he doesn't sing he speaks very softly.
Rock and roll,
Mops

Date: November 5, 2012 18:38

tomk
My mind may be fuzzy (it's been almost 30 years) but I seem to remember that the GHS and IORR promo films shown on Don Kirchner were packaged as a Stones special, at least in the LA market where I grew up. Meaning in 1973 "here's the Stones promos from their new album GHS," and in 1974 "here's their new promo films from their IORR album."
I remember seeing them in an early evening show, not late at night.
As for doing Angie twice, it was their single at the time. Good marketing move, actually. And it's true, this was pre-MTV, pre-VCR. Unless they reran it a few months later, you had to grasp it right there and then, just like any other TV show.

I believe Don Kirchner's show was a "syndicated" series not affiliated with any network therefore it could have been shown at any time slot I suppose. In the DFW market I believe they ran it late at night. The 1973 premier episode was highly advertised. I still have a copy of the full page add they took out in numerous music mags, I'll just have to dig it out..

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-11-05 18:38 by scottkeef.

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: November 5, 2012 18:54

Naturalust
hbwriter
Naturalust

hey there man!

Hey much thanks for that link hb, I appreciate it. More than I have ever been able to find. That studio was obviously no Olympic Sound.

Of course I had no idea the Stones were ever on Don Kirshner. It would be cool if they would do something like Austin City Limits, concentrate more on the music in the show rather than the theater, but I'm not holding my breath. peace peace

It'd be tough to fit that entourage into the Moody Theatre...maybe ACL can go off campus for that one

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: November 5, 2012 18:59

Munichhilton
Naturalust
hbwriter
Naturalust

hey there man!

It'd be tough to fit that entourage into the Moody Theatre...maybe ACL can go off campus for that one

I think mick's gonna tear his ACL if he doesn't tone down his antics this tour...

Date: November 5, 2012 19:00

StonesTod
Munichhilton
Naturalust
hbwriter
Naturalust

hey there man!

I think mick's gonna tear his ACL if he doesn't tone down his antics this tour...

Would that put him on financial IR?

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: November 5, 2012 19:15

Munichhilton
StonesTod
Munichhilton
Naturalust
hbwriter
Naturalust

hey there man!

before IR, there's the MRI for the ACL. Should know by EOW. GTG. CYA.

Date: November 5, 2012 19:30

StonesTod
Munichhilton
StonesTod
Munichhilton
Naturalust
hbwriter
Naturalust

hey there man!

before IR, there's the MRI for the ACL. Should know by EOW. GTG. CYA.

K. TX

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1806
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home