Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Wanna be coverbands
Posted by: bartman ()
Date: December 17, 2004 14:35

I hate it when I see coverbands who want to look like their idols. It's really silly.

In the last few years I saw a few coverbands from wich I thought: "ok, you know who to handle a guitar, or you sing nice but why are you trying to copy a your hero? Use your own style.

Why is it that coverbands always want to look like the person they (try) to copy?
It's not original.

Re: Wanna be coverbands
Posted by: Potted Shrimp ()
Date: December 17, 2004 14:38

agreed, it's 100% not original!

Date: December 17, 2004 15:06

If you wanna put on a similar show, it would be stupid to stand still and not even act similar to the band you're tributing. How interesting it is is another matter...

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: December 17, 2004 17:09

I have never seen a cover band truly take it too seriously. Most of the times its just people having fun with the music they love. They don't want to be the real thing. It's like acting Humphrey Bogart when dating a chick ...

A part from that it is almost impossible to keep your left hand on the neck and not to kick when the air you play the open G of BS at max volume!

C

Posted by: Stikkyfinger ()
Date: December 17, 2004 17:46

Well, speaking as a member of Stikkyfingers, we have no intention of dressing up as the Rolling Stones - it would be embarrassing to us.

However we do aim to SOUND like the Stones and play these great songs with excitement - you're never bored at one of our gigs.

We play the music for fun, and really enjoy the gigs and so does the audience.

We don't try to play exactly like the Stones. For example, our version of JJF has a harmonica at the beginning, our version of Sympathy for the Devil is played with an acoustic guitar - but it works really well (so I'm told).

It's the spirit of the Stones we aim for - so it doesn't matter if we don't LOOK like them!

Regards,

Ian.

Rolling Stones Tribute

Play Rolling Stones

Posted by: ChrisM ()
Date: December 17, 2004 18:13

Mathijs,care to weigh in?

Date: December 17, 2004 18:22

ChrisM Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Mathijs,care to weigh in?

Don't tempt him mate!

Regards,

Ian.

Rolling Stones Tribute

Play Rolling Stones

Posted by: bruno ()
Date: December 17, 2004 18:28

Well, I don't play in any coverband or any tribute band or any band, but I don't see anything wrong in playing the music made by the band you like most and trying to do a cover just for your fun and the people who is watching you.

I suppose when you go to a "Whitesnake tribute gig" by your local band is because you like Whitesnake and you go to have some fun at your pub while drinking a few beers... Of course you'd like to be at a Whitesnake gig better, but they are not going to play in your local pub, so...

I think is a good way of having some fun and enjoy live music. I don't see the need of dressing like the Stones, anyway. (I agree with Stikkyfinger that it would be too embarrasing that your lead vocalist would be dressed as Mick on the 73 tour, for example. And more embarrasing even if he is 1,90 m tall and weighs about 90 kg. That would be shamefull, really grinning smiley ). But doing covers of your favourite band is OK for me.

[There'll be no wedding today...]

Posted by: ChrisM ()
Date: December 17, 2004 20:22

Mathijs should be praticing his guitar rather than spending time posting here. He just got a 2004 '59 Les Paul! If I had one of those, I'd be playing it all the time too!

Date: December 17, 2004 20:57

A 2004 '59 Les Paul - isn't that a contradiction in terms?

I bet it's a VERY nice guitar though!

Regards,

Ian.

Rolling Stones Tribute

Play Rolling Stones

Posted by: bruno ()
Date: December 17, 2004 21:04

If I'm not wrong, it's a (2004) Custom Shop LP'59 reissue, Stikkyfingers.

Wish I'd have one of these...

[There'll be no wedding today...]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2004-12-17 21:07 by bruno.

Date: December 17, 2004 21:09

Wow! Nice pic! Magnificent!

Regards,

Ian.

Rolling Stones Tribute

Play Rolling Stones

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: December 18, 2004 01:15

It's hard to play Stones songs, and not 'act' on stage like they do. I mean if you play the intro to Start Me Up, it's impossible to do this with your guitar strapped up high like a jazz musician. No, it has to be much lower, and you have to bend your knees slightly for the best results.

grinning smiley

- Koen.

Date: December 18, 2004 12:02

Koen Wrote:
> It's hard to play Stones songs, and not 'act' on
> stage like they do. I mean if you play the intro
> to Start Me Up, it's impossible to do this with
> your guitar strapped up high like a jazz musician.
> No, it has to be much lower, and you have to bend
> your knees slightly for the best results.
>
>
>
> - Koen.

I know what you mean....

Rolling Stones Tribute

Play Rolling Stones

Posted by: ohcarol ()
Date: December 29, 2005 23:50

Hey if your a cover band your gonna make more money than some band just doing chart hits.

Posted by: Leonard Keringer ()
Date: December 29, 2005 23:53

part of the reason may be $.....cover bands may get steady work....when yer in an original, good luck making a steady income......personally i'd rather play in an original

Date: December 30, 2005 11:13

Well we do have our own songs as well, some are quite Stonesy and some are nothing like the Stones.

We aim to start putting one or two into the set in the near future.....

Regards,

Ian.

Rolling Stones Tribute

Play Rolling Stones

Re: cover bands/tribute bands
Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: December 30, 2005 11:58

>> It's not original.<<
is it supposed to be? and isn't the "lookalike" thing one of the differences between a "cover band" and a "tribute band"?
one is interpreting, the other is striving to resemble the overall impression?

anyway. a book i've been reading lately compares cover music to mastering a foreign language. one can be gifted at it, passionate about it, etc,
but it's a fundamentally different drive than what compels people to be creatively expressive in their own language.
some people are gifted at/passionate about both, of course; and then there are those who can be creatively expressive in a foreign language.

"What do you want - what?!"
- Keith

Posted by: NickB ()
Date: December 30, 2005 12:21

OK I play in a covers band but we also do originals. We kick off our set with Start Me Up and yes we loon around doing Keef moves but for fun not because we want to be in The Rolling Stones.

NickB

Date: December 30, 2005 13:39

NickB Wrote:
> OK I play in a covers band but we also do
> originals. We kick off our set with Start Me Up
> and yes we loon around doing Keef moves but for
> fun not because we want to be in The Rolling
> Stones.
>
> NickB

My point exactly, we do some of the 'moves' but we interpret the songs. Our versions are quite close to the originals but with our own little 'twists' in them....

Regards,

Ian.

Rolling Stones Tribute

Play Rolling Stones

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: December 30, 2005 16:07

O.k, I just laid aside my '59 reissue (damn what a guitar, worth every freaking dollar) to chime in.

In general, I don't like cover bands. Why? Most of them are just plain bad. Most of them are bad musicians who can't find any work as a musician with own material, so end up in a tribute band. Then again, I have seen some steller tribute bands. I once saw a Bowie tribute band doing the Stardust thing, that made me buy some more Bowie CD's.

I like tribute bands that offer something special to fans of the real deal. There's no use of covering a 1998 Stones show -go see the real deal then. The band I was in -Flip the Switch- tried to play like the Stones USED to do. We tried to sound like the Stones did in the mid-70's: the rough, Ampeg driven sound. We tried to play versions of songs that we consider best: Tumbling Dice from the '72 tour, Gimme Shelter from '73, It's Only R&R like in 1975, Whip like i '78, that kind of stuff. Apperently, it worked, as we gathered quite a large following. Also, being in this band enabled me to become a better guitarist in a whole. Suddenly I had to improvise on Time Waits or Can't You Hear Me Knocking in front of 1000 people.

We quit, as we felt we achieved everything we could. The audience grew bigger and bigger, and we started to feel we couldn't get away anymore with the songs WE liked to play. The songs we didn't want to play -Paint it Black, Sympathy, Miss You- became "musts' during a show, or else the audience felt dissatisfied. We also felt that we would forever be a "tribute" band, forever playing the "B" stages of this country, and never entering the real "A" stages. As we like to dream of finally becoming stars of our own, we called it quits!

Of course I miss playing with the old band, but that's just the way it goes.

Mathijs

Posted by: tat2you ()
Date: December 30, 2005 19:31

the stones are the best cover band ever!!!

Posted by: wild_horse_pete ()
Date: December 30, 2005 21:12

Mathijs wrote:

We quit, as we felt we achieved everything we could. The audience grew bigger and bigger, and we started to feel we couldn't get away anymore with the songs WE liked to play. The songs we didn't want to play -Paint it Black, Sympathy, Miss You- became "musts' during a show, or else the audience felt dissatisfied. We also felt that we would forever be a "tribute" band, forever playing the "B" stages of this country, and never entering the real "A" stages. As we like to dream of finally becoming stars of our own, we called it quits!

Sound like the real stones to me, they have to play the warhorses, but they can`t quit.

Posted by: Reptile ()
Date: December 30, 2005 21:26

I am disgusted by coverbands that perform in public.

Date: December 31, 2005 13:23

Reptile Wrote:
> I am disgusted by coverbands that perform in
> public.

Hey Reptile, don't sit on the fence with this one!!!! smiling smiley

Rolling Stones Tribute

Play Rolling Stones

Posted by: open-g ()
Date: December 31, 2005 13:33

>I am disgusted by coverbands that perform in public.
thats a bit harsh, reptile
there are at least two categories - the good ones and the bad ones
just like everything in real life

Posted by: Pussy Whips ()
Date: December 31, 2005 13:36

It's the ultimate form of flattery.
Up to the audience as to whether they get into it or not.
A large guy with a big gut belting out Start Me Up while doing a Jagger jig.Why not as long as he can hit the right notes.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1834
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home