Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
I don't want non-Stones special guests!
Posted by: donvis ()
Date: October 24, 2012 22:04

Taylor and Wyman would be great. But there is nothing worse than so called special guests especially the likes of Dave Matthews! I remember in Chicago at the Aragon Ballroom where BONO (I pronounce it as in Sonny Bono) absolutely ruined It's Only Rock 'N Roll with his tirades of "Sir MicK! Sir Mick!" and changing the lyrics to "going to Chicago" instead of "I know it's only rock and roll"! I want a nice DVD of the Stones not them diluted by Eric Clsapton et al. Thank goodness I am going Thursday and not Saturday!!!

Re: I don't want non-Stones special guests!
Posted by: saltoftheearth ()
Date: October 25, 2012 16:07

How about Al Perkins playing pedal steel on Torn and frayed?
How about the London Bach Choir doing back-up vocals on You can't always get what you want?

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: October 25, 2012 16:10

saltoftheearth
How about Al Perkins playing pedal steel on Torn and frayed?
How about the London Bach Choir doing back-up vocals on You can't always get what you want?

Merry Clayton anyone?

Date: October 25, 2012 16:33

Hey man, it's like, you know, important for the Stones to be seen as a vital moving-forward modern current band, man. They need to have Adam Levigne or whatever his name is to come up and they can do Moves Like Jagger, man. And then get, like, Blake Shelton 'n' stuff to come up and, like, they can do, you know, like, a proper version of, you know, Shattered or Midnight Rambler or some other country song.

Don't you want the Stones to be, like, relevant?

Date: October 25, 2012 17:13

-

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-10-25 17:32 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: October 25, 2012 17:58

I agree that Clapton, Beck, et al would be a snooze. Worse would be flavors of the month like Dave Matthews.

Posted by: GumbootCloggeroo ()
Date: October 25, 2012 18:01

Dave Matthews' first album came out in 1994. That is one long month!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-10-25 18:02 by GumbootCloggeroo.

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: October 25, 2012 18:02

treaclefingers
Merry Clayton anyone?

i'll settle for a mildy contented one

Posted by: drbryant ()
Date: October 25, 2012 18:36

I have to be honest, I can't think of any guest appearances that I have really enjoyed very much. I don't mind the old blues guys, and AC/DC and Clapton are OK, but all the celebrity guest appearances . . . .

Dave Matthews was dull; Sheryl Crow with her pracing around wasn't much better; that Chinese guy who didn't know the words to "Wild Horses" was just awkward; and I just threw up in my mouth remembering Justin in Toronto.

Date: October 25, 2012 19:07

GumbootCloggeroo

OK, but you only have proved that he has sucked a lot longer than I thought.

Posted by: cowboytoast ()
Date: October 25, 2012 19:11

71Tele
GumbootCloggeroo

OK, but you only have proved that he has sucked a lot longer than I thought.

haha brilliant!!! you took the words right out of my mouth...Dave Matthews is dull music for dull people...

Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: October 25, 2012 19:36

How about Ringo duetting on I Wanna Be Your Man?

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: October 25, 2012 19:38

dmb rocks. please.

Posted by: donvis ()
Date: October 25, 2012 20:53

It would be insulting to Wyman and Taylor to let anyone else play. But sadly nothing the Stones do surprises me anymore.

Posted by: LSTNT ()
Date: October 25, 2012 20:57

donvis
Taylor and Wyman would be great. But there is nothing worse than so called special guests especially the likes of Dave Matthews! I remember in Chicago at the Aragon Ballroom where BONO (I pronounce it as in Sonny Bono) absolutely ruined It's Only Rock 'N Roll with his tirades of "Sir MicK! Sir Mick!" and changing the lyrics to "going to Chicago" instead of "I know it's only rock and roll"! I want a nice DVD of the Stones not them diluted by Eric Clsapton et al. Thank goodness I am going Thursday and not Saturday!!!

I agree totally. Never was a fan of guest spots, I was at Beacon 2 and Buddy Guy was fun, but i would rather see the boys rock out themselves. The last PPV with guests that was OK was the one I was at in Atlantic City 89, Clapton, Hooker and Rose were pretty good. after 50 years do they really think anyone wants to see anyone other than them?

Posted by: drbryant ()
Date: October 25, 2012 21:00

Just in case anyone hasn't seen it. From the "someone shoot me now" series:

Posted by: klrkcr ()
Date: October 25, 2012 21:25

donvis
It would be insulting to Wyman and Taylor to let anyone else play. But sadly nothing the Stones do surprises me anymore.

I agree donvis,to have other guests,and not Bill and Mick T would be a massive insult.

Posted by: reg thorpe ()
Date: October 25, 2012 21:34

The people I would like to see guest with them are no longer around like Nicky Hopkins, Gram Parsons, Ian Stewart.

..now only if they can manage that

Posted by: nomis ()
Date: October 25, 2012 21:40

donvis

Agree. and all it does it take time away from Taylor.

Date: October 25, 2012 21:48

reg thorpe
The people I would like to see guest with them are no longer around like Nicky Hopkins, Gram Parsons, Ian Stewart.

Reg, that would be a much more expensive ticket package.

Date: October 25, 2012 21:52

StonesTod
dmb rocks. please.

People to sleep...

Posted by: reg thorpe ()
Date: October 25, 2012 21:57

71Tele
reg thorpe

Reg, that would be a much more expensive ticket package.

True that... The Heavenly Tongue Package.. sky's the limit on ticket prices

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-10-25 21:59 by reg thorpe.

Date: October 25, 2012 21:59

drbryant
Just in case anyone hasn't seen it. From the "someone shoot me now" series:

The best part was Timberlake flipping...whoever off.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: October 25, 2012 22:27

StonesTod
treaclefingers
Merry Clayton anyone?

i'll settle for a mildy contented one

How 'bout Happy Gilmore?

Posted by: GravityBoy ()
Date: October 25, 2012 22:55

I want Elton JOhn!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And Britney obviously.

Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: October 25, 2012 23:34

50 Cent could rap Shattered with Mick. I'm full of great ideas.

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: October 26, 2012 05:19

I wouldn't mind EC or Jeff Beck, but no lamo contemporary teenie boppers! Please no! Oh and Buddy Guy would be fine as well!

Posted by: SweetThing ()
Date: October 26, 2012 05:41

I'd like Ian McLagan "guest" throughout the whole thing...

Posted by: SweetThing ()
Date: October 26, 2012 05:50

of course ZZ Top could guest on Doom and Gloom....

or they could bring out Neil Young and Ray Davies and play some alternating JJF/Mr Soul/Catch Me Now, I'm Falling
thing..

Posted by: BustedButton ()
Date: October 26, 2012 06:52

Never saw that JT video before, that was awful, but not worse that Christina @ the Beacon.

I actually want special guests... if, and only if, their involvement in the show would help Mick catch his breath (for example), or give the band a break while entertaining us during this celebration of 50 years of music. REMEMBER IT'S A CELEBRATION (A PARTY, IF YOU WILL) NOT A TOUR!
With that being said, I think it's a crime for special guests to do certain songs... for example, if Jeff Beck does CYHMK instead of MT, I'd cry. But there are SOME well rehearsed songs that need filler, perhaps a slow blues cover like little red rooster OR You Gotta Move -- you know, songs that weren't written by the Stones, but either made famous by the Stones or played a lot by them. Clapton has done LRedR before and quite frankly, I wouldn't mind at all to see hear that again. The guests should only play on these covers or maybe even songs that the guest specializes in covering themselves, like the SNL show.
At their age, and with little practice under their belt, I have no doubt there will be "special guests" + Mick and Bill. Mick is obviously still committed to the Stones, but he (also obviously) loves doing stuff with other groups/ artists. And considering their age, they may want/ need great musicians to step in and help them out for one or maybe two songs. Bill and Mick can fill in the blanks on well-rehearsed songs like YCAGWYW or CYHMK (I know we're all hoping for a surprise song).
I am going all-in and betting that Jeff Beck plays at least two songs during the tour. I'm not saying that I truly want to see special guests other than Mick and Bill; but, I am certainly expecting to see it happen...expecting no one other than Foo Fighters doing IORR, Arcade Fire doing She's a rainbow (with Mick singing) or TLastT, Clapton doing , Jimi Paige (still hoping for Heart of Stone live with Jimi), Buddy Guy, and hopefully someone unexpected and awesome -- they just need to use them in the right song.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1765
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home