Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 4 of 5
Re: Keith Richards : '£16m sounds about right to us'
Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: October 16, 2012 19:29

Let's see, so far from all these threads, here is what we can conclude:

1. The Stones are out of touch with their fans.
2. Mick is just being greedy.
3. Keith is just being Keef.
4. Cigarettes are about $15 a pack in Norway.
...and most important of all...
It's all Bono's fault!

Posted by: mgguy ()
Date: October 16, 2012 20:31

I've learned that the real reason Keith's fingers look like that is from all those years of counting money!

Posted by: Limbostone ()
Date: October 16, 2012 20:34

That is not even funny, it's insulting.

Posted by: GumbootCloggeroo ()
Date: October 16, 2012 21:05

The Wick
Also, isn't this the guy who tore Mick apart for the knighthood because he was trying to protecting the Stones rebellious legacy? Very rebellious of him with Timberfake up there.
Timberlake's appearance with The Stones happened years ago. GET OVER IT!

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: October 16, 2012 21:05

Title5Take1

The Stones played the Wiltern Theater in L.A. on the 40 Licks tour and charged $50 a ticket. But many of those tickets ended up being resold by scalpers for $2,000 bucks each. That's why I have no problem with the Stones charging a lot for tickets. I'd rather my money go to the Stones than to scalpers. I just do think Keith's salt-of-the-earth image is a bit disingenuous. And Keith wasn't thinking of his parents regarding the "noble family in exile" but of himself, because, as he says, his parents "loved" the council flat house. I'm a Keith fan, but Slash in his autobiography hung out with Keith a bit and said he found Keith to be "a profound narcissist." That's a bit extreme, but there might be more truth to that than I'd like to think. Keith more than once has said, "I've never said `Sir' to anybody." And I've wondered how that makes people feel who have to say "Sir" every day.

There was comparatively little scalping done at the Licks theatre shows because no tickets were issued in advance. The system can be - and is if a band wants it to be - adapted to minimise scalping.

The fact is that this band rarely does anything to stop it. To give the Stones some kind of moral high ground and green light to rip the fans off (you know, the fans who made them wealthy to begin with) with sky high prices is indefensible. At least we KNOW scalpers dont give a shit about the public and only care about making money. The artist should be somewhat above that level.

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: October 16, 2012 21:14

Gazza
Title5Take1

The Stones played the Wiltern Theater in L.A. on the 40 Licks tour and charged $50 a ticket. But many of those tickets ended up being resold by scalpers for $2,000 bucks each. That's why I have no problem with the Stones charging a lot for tickets. I'd rather my money go to the Stones than to scalpers. I just do think Keith's salt-of-the-earth image is a bit disingenuous. And Keith wasn't thinking of his parents regarding the "noble family in exile" but of himself, because, as he says, his parents "loved" the council flat house. I'm a Keith fan, but Slash in his autobiography hung out with Keith a bit and said he found Keith to be "a profound narcissist." That's a bit extreme, but there might be more truth to that than I'd like to think. Keith more than once has said, "I've never said `Sir' to anybody." And I've wondered how that makes people feel who have to say "Sir" every day.

There was comparatively little scalping done at the Licks theatre shows because no tickets were issued in advance. The system can be - and is if a band wants it to be - adapted to minimise scalping.

The fact is that this band rarely does anything to stop it. To give the Stones some kind of moral high ground and green light to rip the fans off (you know, the fans who made them wealthy to begin with) with sky high prices is indefensible. At least we KNOW scalpers dont give a shit about the public and only care about making money. The artist should be somewhat above that level.

I don't know about Europe, but more shows these days have ticketless entry for the better seats, that is, you show up at the venue with the credit card used to purchase the tickets, they swipe it at the door, and it prints out a receipt with your seat locations on it.

Posted by: letitloose ()
Date: October 16, 2012 21:27

it's utterly disingenuous for folks to say," the prices are high because that's the Market rate, and if they were lower, they would still gravitate to that rate, but the scalpers would pocket the difference".

there are ways of ensuring the tickets do not fall into the hands of touts. Tom Waits can do it. so could the Stones. they are just greedy bastards. they are playing on the idea that these may be the last dates. Then, once they have trousered the money, they will announce a full tour.

Posted by: Limbostone ()
Date: October 16, 2012 21:31

micawber
Limbostone
Gazza
if they play to half empty stadiums when they tour for real, its not as if they'll learn from it and make the NEXT tour affordable.

Maximising profits sadly means that it can be more profitable to have a 50% full venue at high prices than completely full at moderate prices. 25.000 x €100 is just more than 50.000 x €40.

This certainly was the philosophy when selling ABB tickets. They did not need to sell out at those prices. (Only at some places where they turned out to have really overestimated their potential they have cancelled a show, possibly with some health related excuse).

Even if this often led to uncomfortably emtpy stadiums and possibly some image damage from it ("Stones can't sell out stadiums anymore", which is just not true), they appearantly didn't mind playing for empty seats. Because financially, it didn't matter.

I'm tired of that BS. If it doesn't matter anymore for them if they play in empty houses while the cash is ok, then they can f... off.

Well, not exactly empty. It's a balance. In my example, they have marketeers found out that they'll always have a 25.000 base that will pay €100 anyhow. People like us and people with money. Any ticket sold extra is a nice plus, but not necessary. That's a more secure situation than actually needing all 50.000 tickets sold to break even.

Date: October 16, 2012 21:32

letitloose
it's utterly disingenuous for folks to say," the prices are high because that's the Market rate, and if they were lower, they would still gravitate to that rate, but the scalpers would pocket the difference".

there are ways of ensuring the tickets do not fall into the hands of touts. Tom Waits can do it. so could the Stones. they are just greedy bastards. they are playing on the idea that these may be the last dates. Then, once they have trousered the money, they will announce a full tour.

Spot on.

Like I said earlier - there's a section of the Stones fanbase who dont seem to 'get' rock 'n' roll at all. Its as if the band that existed up to the mid 80s - and probably even up to the mid 90s' - never actually existed at all.

Date: October 16, 2012 21:33

BluzDude
Gazza
Title5Take1

I don't know about Europe, but more shows these days have ticketless entry for the better seats, that is, you show up at the venue with the credit card used to purchase the tickets, they swipe it at the door, and it prints out a receipt with your seat locations on it.

Yep. Its easier than it ever was to minimize scalping. If the artist wants to.

Posted by: mr_dja ()
Date: October 16, 2012 21:51

For all the blame being piled on Mick & Keith over ticket prices, I blame Bill Wyman and Charlie Watts. Let me explain...

Before Bill quit the band he demanded that Ronnie be made a partner and receive and equal share of the money. Up until then, Ronnie had been a faithful employee happily working for a salary. If not for this decision, the current Stones would only have to split the money three ways instead of four and Ronnie could still be paid a salary like Chuck & Darryl.

Now let's take the case of Mr. Charlie Watts... From what he's said, he doesn't like Rolling Stones music, doesn't like to tour and apparently quits the band at the end of each tour. He's obviously willing to go out and play with the ABC&D group for a tiny fraction of what he receives from The Stones. So why does it cost so much to get him to play with Mick & Keith? Both Keith & Mick have expressed desire to try and keep prices down, I've never heard Charlie do that. He seems content with the compensation he receives for having to endure the grief of leaving his home to play Rolling Stones music.

So, c'mon Charlie & Ronnie, Mick & Keith want to keep ticket prices down, surely you could work for salaries closer to your ABC&D or Faces shows and help out Mick & Keith reign in the price of a Rolling Stones show "for the fans".

Peace,
Mr DJA

Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: October 16, 2012 22:09

Gazza
proudmary
Keith Richards on live show payday: '£16m sounds about right to us'
Guitarist hints at 2013 shows and Glastonbury appearance in new interview

Rolling Stones guitarist Keith Richards says he does not want to charge fans high prices to see the band, despite the fact that tickets for the newly announced London shows range from £90 to a deluxe package priced at £950.

Appearing on BBC 6Music, Richards addressed rumours that the band will personally pocket £16m from the run of live shows, saying: "I haven't looked at the figures – numbers can get greatly exaggerated. I just wanna do some shows and I don't want to charge over the bloody top. I'm a bit out of the loop with showbiz. £16m sounds about right to us."

Richards will join his bandmates for two night's at London's 02 Arena on November 25 and 29 to celebrate their 50th anniversary. They will also be playing two nights at the Prudential Center in Newark, New Jersey in the US on December 13 and 15.

Asked by host Matt Everitt if there will be more shows beyond the 50th anniversary gigs, Richards said that he, "wouldn't be surprised," adding: "Nobody has given us a heads up but this band isn't going to wind up with four shows. Next year looks like it is on."

Richards also expressed interest in appearing at Glastonbury – weather permitting: "On a good day if the weather's fine that's an interesting proposition. The band wants to get these four gigs under their belt and then think about next year after that. Anything is possible with this band."

The Rolling Stones will release a brand new greatest hits compilation in November titled 'GRRR!’. The collection, which coincides with the band's 50th anniversary, will feature two brand new songs, 'Doom And Gloom' and 'One More Shot', which were recorded in Paris last month. This is the first new material the band have recorded since their 2005 album 'A Bigger Bang'.

[www.nme.com]

Seriously, Keith - take your mouth for a shit. No doubt you'll be telling us next that you're really just a blues artist and are in it for the music.

Who does he think he's fooling? Clueless fool.

[thepowergoats.com]

Posted by: SonicDreamer ()
Date: October 16, 2012 22:12

Gazza
Title5Take1

Re - somewhat

Gazza, I never had you down as a master of subtle understatement... until today! ;--P
Howz it goin mucker? Good luck for tomorrow if yer gonna try and indulge on the Archive pre-sale.

Cheers,
SonicD

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2012-10-16 22:13 by SonicDreamer.

Posted by: The Wick ()
Date: October 16, 2012 22:17

GumbootCloggeroo
The Wick
Also, isn't this the guy who tore Mick apart for the knighthood because he was trying to protecting the Stones rebellious legacy? Very rebellious of him with Timberfake up there.

So anything that happens years ago should be forgotten right? Interesting approach. "Get over it" is one of those expressions that when you look beyond the words doesn't mean much. I have noticed though that it's often substituted for people being embarrassed by something and not wanting to be reminded of it. Come on son, admit it, you were pretty embarrassed when you found out.

In the grand scheme of life and how it affects me, it doesn't rate highly and to be honest, what the Stones do doesn't rate highly. I like the music, I'm somewhat interested in them as people and I'm a long time fan. This is a Stones virtual gathering place and in that context, inviting that clown onstage with them ranks as number 1 for me in the worst musical thing they have ever done and because it's the worst, I'm not going to "get over it".

Date: October 16, 2012 22:20

SonicDreamer
Gazza
Title5Take1

Re - somewhat

Gazza, I never had you down as a master of subtle understatement... until today! ;--P
Howz it goin mucker? Good luck for tomorrow if yer gonna try and indulge on the Archive pre-sale.

Cheers,
SonicD

Cheers, D

I was under the impression that the 'archive' presale meant the regular tickets in most/all categories, but it seems to just be this 'Lets offload unsold copies of Brussels Affair' pish, Is that correct?

Date: October 16, 2012 22:23

Good blog piece here (thanks Simon N, for finding it)

[louderthanwar.com]

Posted by: carouslambra ()
Date: October 16, 2012 22:33

Oh great to add insult to injury for us true fans they want to finally play Glastonbury in front of 80,000 non Stones fans.

Date: October 16, 2012 22:37

carouslambra
Oh great to add insult to injury for us true fans they want to finally play Glastonbury in front of 80,000 non Stones fans.

They'll already be doing that in November-December anyway! spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: October 17, 2012 00:37

Gazza
Good blog piece here (thanks Simon N, for finding it)

[louderthanwar.com]

Yes, great read...angry without getting angry. My fave bit:

I’m not writing to you asking you to give up all your wealth, god knows as a musician I know some of the money is well earned in this filthy business but surely you must have plenty by now! And stop skulking away Keef we are not fooled by your sozzled old pirate act, you know as much as Mick about all of this.

Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: October 17, 2012 20:30

That's my favourite part too.

[thepowergoats.com]

Posted by: mandrax1972 ()
Date: October 17, 2012 20:49

not getting a dime from me. saw them 4 times (78 2x - 81, 89). that's enough. $0... that's sounds about right

Posted by: The Worst. ()
Date: October 17, 2012 21:01

Gazza
Title5Take1

That line remindes me a bit of Pete Townshend's lyrics from
Quadrophenia, when "The Punk Meets the Godfather"
(a fan meets the band after a gig) and make sure
the band get a grip on reality:

"You declared you would be three inches taller
You only became what we made you.
Thought you were chasing a destiny calling
You only earned what we gave you.
You fell and cried as our people were starving,
Now you know that we blame you.
You tried to walk on the trail we were carving,
Now you know that we framed you."

Posted by: Braincapers ()
Date: October 17, 2012 22:00

If the Stones are getting £4 mill for playing to 20,000 people that's £200 a seat. Somebody else is making a bomb out of this too. Especially when you factor in merchandising, sponsorship and the inevitable dvd.

Posted by: stargroover ()
Date: October 17, 2012 23:42

Lets hope Keef earns his million quid for each show.He is just a businessman like the other 3.Sadly its been about money for a long,long time.But occasionally we get glimmers of renewed hope.The new single certainly rocks,and if they put on a brilliant show,despite feeling fleeced,I will be satisfied.

Posted by: ROLLINGSTONE ()
Date: October 18, 2012 00:20

He's gonny die a rich man.

'None of your money
Will buy you forgiveness
None of your jewellery
None of your gold'

Date: October 18, 2012 00:49

Braincapers
If the Stones are getting £4 mill for playing to 20,000 people that's £200 a seat. Somebody else is making a bomb out of this too. Especially when you factor in merchandising, sponsorship and the inevitable dvd.

The Stones will make the 'bomb' from the 'merchandising, sponsorship and the inevitable DVD'

We don't know what the average ticket price will be, but a newspaper worked out a couple of days ago that the promoters have to charge an average of £207 per ticket just to break even.

Of course other people will make money out of it - but its a drop in the ocean, and also a large risk in the (albeit unlikely) event that the shows dont sell out.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: October 18, 2012 02:05

He's been a greedy, selfish cuunt since the 1960's, tis part of The Rolling Stones way of life ALO mentioned on back of their first album.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-10-18 02:08 by His Majesty.

Posted by: buffalo7478 ()
Date: October 18, 2012 04:57

Send It To me

Love Arrested Devlopment! Keith is just as clueless about the real world. Great post.

Posted by: josepi ()
Date: October 18, 2012 05:08

let me know if i've got this wrong. $16m for 4 shows. $16m/4 = $4m per show. $4m per show/4 Stones = $1m per stone per night. assuming a 2 hr show, then $1m / 120 = $8,3333 per stone per minute. = $138.89 per Stone per second. So then Keith makes $138 for the opening 3 chords of Start Me Up. OK, i can live with that. I won't go see them, but i can live with that.

I don't know how to put the pound sign in, so had to use dollar sign. who can convert?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-10-18 05:09 by josepi.

Posted by: GumbootCloggeroo ()
Date: October 18, 2012 21:29

The Wick
GumbootCloggeroo
The Wick

So anything that happens years ago should be forgotten right? Interesting approach. "Get over it" is one of those expressions that when you look beyond the words doesn't mean much. I have noticed though that it's often substituted for people being embarrassed by something and not wanting to be reminded of it. Come on son, admit it, you were pretty embarrassed when you found out.
I was at Sarstock and I wasn't embarrassed when Timberlake played with The Stones. I was embarrassed to be a Torontonian that day because of the stupid people in the audience throwing bottles at him. That was ridiculous. I quite enjoyed Timberlake's set, to be honest with you. I was surprised. I thought he was going to come out and dance around chairs and do silly N'Sync songs but his set was rather funky. He's got talent. As for his appearance with The Stones, so what? Kudos to them for thinking outside the box. And yes, if you're still upset or whatever by Timberlake's appearance then my advice for you again is, get over it! Are you seriously still holding a grudge all these years? Timberlake played one song with them. It's not like he murdered Keith and I'm asking you to get over it. It was just one song! Geez.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 4 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1417
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home