Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Do you expect the new songs to be vintage Stones or filler like the 40 Licks songs?
Posted by: James Kirk ()
Date: October 9, 2012 22:45

I don't expect the next Tumbling Dice or Gimme Shelter, but my expectations are these these two new songs will rank up there with their better modern day singles like "Saint of Me" or "Oh No, Not You Again"...Am I being to optimistic?

Re: Do you expect the new songs to be vintage Stones or filler like the 40 Licks songs?
Posted by: GumbootCloggeroo ()
Date: October 9, 2012 22:51

I think they will be songs.

Re: Do you expect the new songs to be vintage Stones or filler like the 40 Licks songs?
Posted by: Edith Grove ()
Date: October 9, 2012 22:57

Since it's likely their last originals, it better not be filler.

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: October 9, 2012 23:04

Edith Grove
Since it's likely their last originals, it better not be filler.

what album would it be filler on...or in...or out?

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: October 9, 2012 23:06

James Kirk
I don't expect the next Tumbling Dice or Gimme Shelter, but my expectations are these these two new songs will rank up there with their better modern day singles like "Saint of Me" or "Oh No, Not You Again"...Am I being to optimistic?

Those two songs are worlds apart in terms of quality.

I hope to Christ they spent a bit more than the thirty seconds it took to throw the lyrics of ONNYA together.

Posted by: Justin ()
Date: October 9, 2012 23:20

Considering they're only putting out 2 new songs on "Grr" (as opposed to 4 on Forty Licks) I am hoping they are better quality songwriting. Who knows what other songs they churned out while they were together but the fact they settled with 2 to be included on the set, gives me hope. But my expectations will be realastic and I will take them for what they're worth: a couple new tunes from my favorite band. Nothing more.

Posted by: Send It To me ()
Date: October 9, 2012 23:37

i've got no expectations to pass through here again

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: October 10, 2012 00:12

Justin
Considering they're only putting out 2 new songs on "Grr" (as opposed to 4 on Forty Licks) I am hoping they are better quality songwriting. Who knows what other songs they churned out while they were together but the fact they settled with 2 to be included on the set, gives me hope. But my expectations will be realastic and I will take them for what they're worth: a couple new tunes from my favorite band. Nothing more.

You'll take what they give you and be grateful, Sonny.

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: October 10, 2012 00:15

71Tele
Justin

You'll take what they give you and be grateful, Sonny.

they were only going to put out two new ones on 40 licks until they were cajoled and threatened into putting two more on. apparently we've learned our lesson now as i see there's been no such behavior toward them this time...won't get fooled again...or something

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: October 10, 2012 00:17

I expect vintage stones filler.

Posted by: TheDailyBuzzherd ()
Date: October 10, 2012 01:35

Filler

HOPE they're vindicated, tho

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: October 10, 2012 01:46

I expect them to be better than I expect them to be .... but not as good as I want them to be.

Posted by: lettingitbleed ()
Date: October 10, 2012 01:48

tatters got it there! Well said.

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: October 10, 2012 02:33

....excited to hear what they are up to....just hope Jagger was inspired to write interesting lyrics...he's pretty good when he wants to be.

Date: October 10, 2012 02:52

Is Gloom and Doom a dancy disco number? Chuck Leavell said it is a song about suggesting to a girl to go out on a party instead of being depressed.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-10-10 02:53 by StrawberriesBlueberries.

Posted by: ZantiMisfit ()
Date: October 10, 2012 03:52

It wouldn't matter if they were the quality of "Gimme Shelter"--the "fans" on this board would hate them no matter what. It seems most people on this board stopped liking the Stones in 1972--which begs the question, why are you still here FORTY years later??

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: October 10, 2012 03:57

ZantiMisfit
It wouldn't matter if they were the quality of "Gimme Shelter"--the "fans" on this board would hate them no matter what. It seems most people on this board stopped liking the Stones in 1972--which begs the question, why are you still here FORTY years later??
SOME

Shoulda said -"some of the supposed fans"-
not everyone here is a hater, a lot, but not all.

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: October 10, 2012 03:59

And now they can start complaining about the complaining

e.g.
"How dare you complain about my complaining, it is my right to complain, you are just a fanboy!"

followed by
"How dare you complain about my complaining about your complaing, it is my right to complain to complain about your complaind, you are just a Hater!

and so on and so forth....

Have no expectations..
give the songs time to grrrrow on you and it will all be fine.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-10-10 04:02 by Max'sKansasCity.

Posted by: ROPENI ()
Date: October 10, 2012 04:01

I hope for the best,but ready for the worst,considering the track record of the last 20 years..grinning smiley

"No dope smoking no beer sold after 12 o'clock"

Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: October 10, 2012 04:07

I enjoyed more than a few of the 2010 and 2011 stuff. Still, that was written when Keith was still a muse for Mick. I have no idea or expectations. the Forty Licks songs are comepletely disposable, but Mick seems to be more comfortable being a "Stone" when called for these days, so... who knows?

I really HOPE they're good.

[thepowergoats.com]

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: October 10, 2012 05:16

I expect them both to be in 4/4 time. I expect one of the new songs to be in the key of A, and the other one to be in the key of G.

Posted by: The Wick ()
Date: October 10, 2012 05:32

With these written separately and brought to the studio to work on songs, I haven't expected much since the mid-80s. Not that I don't like the songs from then on, but my expectations aren't high. The days when we wished Mick and Keith lived near each other and banged out high quality songs all the time are long gone. There can always be surprises though, stranger things have happened. L'Wren Scott loves it: bad sign.

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: October 10, 2012 06:40

I expect one in open G and one singly one. Funny that the titles changed. First it was Gloom & Doom/One Last Shot. Now, on the official tracklist, it's Doom & Gloom/One More Shot. The first titles rang a bit better, but anyway.

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: flacnvinyl ()
Date: October 10, 2012 07:32

Let's just hope they have some gems. To me it seems like a calculated risk to release the track. They likely feel very confident about it. My hope is that Mick doesn't try to be 'hip'. We don't need another Suck On The Jugular or Rain Fall Down. No rap. Just some great rocknroll.

I am still holding out for one last great album.. maybe a blues album like the first one!

Date: October 10, 2012 07:44

treaclefingers
I expect vintage stones filler.

I suspect filler, but it will be classic filler.

Date: October 10, 2012 07:45

Max'sKansasCity
ZantiMisfit
SOME

Shoulda said -"some of the supposed fans"-
not everyone here is a hater, a lot, but not all.

Stop hating the haters. Haters need love too...or something.

(This post was an official tribute to StonesTod).

Date: October 10, 2012 07:49

ZantiMisfit

Huh? Wow. Never thought about it like that before. Why AM I still here?

Seriously, I don't hate the Stones, I love them. Ever hear of "tough love"? I love them but I want them to stop being so lazy and do better. Sort of like with children.

Date: October 10, 2012 09:26

In this context, the songs are doomed to be filler (pun intended).

Anyway, good fillers from the Stones are better than most of today's music anyway. Can't wait! thumbs up

Posted by: Witness ()
Date: October 10, 2012 10:00

I hope for vintage Stones songs!

Vintage 2012! Not retro Stones!

Posted by: tomk ()
Date: October 10, 2012 10:04

With the usual suspects involved (Chuck and Don Was), do you really think it's gonna be that good? They had a chance to do something really interesting (with Wyman and Taylor, a one-off, probably) but chose not to. I really hope it's not another open-G retread, but it probably will be.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1569
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home